Very Important: Forum Rules & FAQs (New Members Must Read)

Started by Darkmoon, November 25, 2009, 02:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

All new members are expected to read and agree to all the rules of the forum. To be able to register an account you must answer five simple questions based on the rules. The rules and the forum faqs (a helpful supplement to the rules) are available below. Please read both.

http://www.clockworkmansion.com/index.php?page=rules
http://www.clockworkmansion.com/index.php?page=faqs
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Sofox

To be honest, the first four words of Rule I says it all.

llearch n'n'daCorna

We like to think so. The entire rest of the page (almost) is merely clarifying that one partial sentence.

Isn't that a bit sad?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Updated with new rule, Rule 13, which explicitly spells out what happens to user account after they have gone idle for a set amount of time.

Darkmoon

Added Rule IV, Section D, Subsection 1.

Darkmoon

Darkmoon

FAQs updates (after nearly four years, probably). Read them, learn from them. As with the rules, if you don't know what's in the FAQs, that's not our fault.

Darkmoon

Rules updated. A new rule (now in the #12 spot) has been added (with the other rules adjusted accordingly).

Since it's been a while since the rules were last updated, I recommend everyone re-read the rules and FAQs. It never hurts to be refreshed.

Kipiru

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 11, 2011, 11:00:36 PM
Since it's been a while since the rules were last updated, I recommend everyone re-read the rules and FAQs. It never hurts to be refreshed.

Did it and boy do I feel refreshed  :) On a more serious note- it sadens me to see that people actually need rules and enforced law to just act polite to eachother.

Mao

Polite and/or non-creepy stalker type behavior, it seems, needs to be enforced.  What can you do?

justacritic

Darkmoon

Quote from: Kipiru on December 13, 2011, 05:44:13 AM
Quote from: Darkmoon on December 11, 2011, 11:00:36 PM

Did it and boy do I feel refreshed  :) On a more serious note- it sadens me to see that people actually need rules and enforced law to just act polite to eachother.

That's our general thought a well.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 13, 2011, 08:31:50 AM
It's a better world without some of them, though.

"Some people are like slinkies.  Mostly useless but damn it's fun to push them down stairs."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 13, 2011, 11:20:34 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 13, 2011, 08:31:50 AM
It's a better world without some of them, though.

"Some people are like slinkies.  Mostly useless but damn it's fun to push them down stairs."

I always thought it was "... but you can't help smiling when you see them falling downstairs."

Gabi

I suppose it depends on how violent you are.

And that reminds me of the guy(s?) who have been pestering all the mods on another forum lately about people harassing them by e-mail and on Yahoo answers. Oh, and apparently they were "unfairly banned" from a third forum for "saying they were not the same person".
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Jairus

Wait, this is enough of a problem that you need a rule to clarify your position on it? Wow. It must suck to be in your shoes sometimes.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Damaris

Almost all of those rules stemmed from something someone actually did to cause trouble. Some on this forum, and some were from  previous experience. All because, when chastised, they would then say "but it's not against the rules!"

So now it is.

I think my biggest facepalm are the stalking rules. It annoys me that we need to have them.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Damaris on December 15, 2011, 12:33:27 AM
I think my biggest facepalm are the stalking rules. It annoys me that we need to have them.

Law exists not for the just but for the unjust, for the just carry the law engraved upon their hearts. (not mine, but I feel like being cryptic in my quotations)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Sunblink

QuoteThat means no stalking, tailing, trolling, assailing, or otherwise being excessively dickish to other members at conventions (or in social gatherings away from the forums). Although we cannot get you removed from the convention (or other meeting place), your access to this forum (warnings and bans) will be impacted by your behavior. Possibly severely.

Now this is a relief to hear, omg. e_e

justacritic

So wait there are people are what could be considered "polite" on the forums but are absolutely a jerk out in real life? Shouldn't that be the other way around most of the time or being a jerk on the forums and in real life?

Mao

All different kinds of people in the world, justacritic.  Some of these cases are folks who act one way in public but are quite nasty/unpleasant in more personal settings.

joshofspam

Hmmmmm...though I guess it's sad we need the rules, I guess it is a problem of keeping the rating of the forum in check when we have different age groups, different manners and morals and not to mention an occasional slip up here or there.

It might be sad you have to make so many rules. But a freedom can be exploited for loopholes, probably better that we have them to catch those really annoying bugs.

Personally, I hate those Slinky's that only go half way down the stairs. :<
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Darkmoon

As Dam said, we have the rules because someone is always an idiot, and then we have to redefine what "being a idiot" actually means. As was commented, every rule after rule #1 is a redefinition of that first rule.

Kipiru

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 15, 2011, 10:20:08 PM
As Dam said, we have the rules because someone is always an idiot, and then we have to redefine what "being a idiot" actually means. As was commented, every rule after rule #1 is a redefinition of that first rule.

You are THE LAW!  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Just as a comparison, on my IRC server I have one rule - don't piss me off.

It works well, but there's a sight less people on there than on here. And, frankly, I let things get a lot more out of hand because of the impermanent nature of the chat - unless you're logging it, it's gone almost immediately, so people tend to relax easier, after the shit has gone down.

Here... well, here, we're somewhat constrained by the medium. And by there being more than one admin, and more chances for people to slip up and annoy each other.

As for Sunblink, I'm just sad that this rule was needed. I mean, seriously, guys. Don't stalk? Did we really really need to have that explain that? :-/

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 16, 2011, 04:42:33 AMAs for Sunblink, I'm just sad that this rule was needed. I mean, seriously, guys. Don't stalk? Did we really really need to have that explain that? :-/

Didn't think this rule was needed either, honestly, but people are always full of surprises. :/

I hope the disdain dripping from this message is as palpable as it could possibly be.

Mao

Indeed.  It's a shame we don't retroactively enforce some rules.  I think there's a few folks who would benefit from being on the receiving end of this.  I suppose it wouldn't be very sporting, though.

justacritic

If laws and rules were retroactively enforced the entire world would be in prisons.