[Art Exchange] Covert Courtesy Commutation ~ 6/8 gifts are up.

Started by Gabi, February 17, 2009, 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

Hey all! This is something Mao Loren and I have been planning for a while. Here's how it works.

• You sign up.
  • During the morning of the 25th (or later if you live far East), you'll be assigned a recipient for your gift.
  • You make your gift (more details on this below).
  • You submit your gift.
  • Once all the gifts are in or on the 25th of March (whatever comes first), all gifts will be published here.

About the gifts
Gifts can be anything as long as you somehow create them. Drawings, poems, stories, artistic photos, music... go wild! Just try to keep your recipient in mind when you make it.

I'm not sure what Mao's participation will be. For now I'm leaving it open so that he can either participate like everyone else or help with organizing the exchange.

Additional notes

-If you want to receive a gift with a particular theme, you may request it before recipients are assigned. You may post references of your character(s) or anything you want to be somehow represented in your gift. Don't go overboard, though. Your gifter has no obligation to do everything you want, especially if it's too demanding.

-If you need some kind of reference from your recipient that has not been provided, you may ask me and I'll pass the request on to that person.

-This is not about creating a masterpiece, nor receiving one. It's about doing something nice for someone else on the forum. Please keep that in mind.

People owing gifts:
-Ketchup-Crumbles (owes WhiteFox a gift from Round 10).
-Liatai (owes Inumo a gift from Round 15).
-llearch (owes e_voyager a gift from Round 15).
-JaxiD (owes Inumo a gift from Round 16).
-VAE (owes WhiteFox a gift from Round 17).
-Basilisk (owes Inumo a gift from Round 18).
-Arroyo (owes Merlin a gift from Round 18).

Signups open... now!
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Kipiru

Count me in Gabi- I'm usually all for such stuff- it's just too much fun.  :mowmeep

Cogidubnus

I'd feel comfortable participating in something like this. I'll do it. :3

Dannysaysnoo

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

Corgatha Taldorthar

Would one be able to join at a later date? I've got a lot of crap going through, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do it now, but once my schedule clears up a bit, I might be interested. (Especially since I need a deadline to keep motivated)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Gabi

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 17, 2009, 08:26:13 PM
Would one be able to join at a later date? I've got a lot of crap going through, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do it now, but once my schedule clears up a bit, I might be interested. (Especially since I need a deadline to keep motivated)
Hmm... I hadn't thought about that. Would Sunday be a good day to close registration, or do you need more time to decide? I was thinking about giving people 4 weeks to make their gifts, but I'm open to suggestions.

And yay to the people who have joined so far! ^_^ This is going to be interesting. :3

Mao

Oh hai thar.   :U

At this point I'm not sure in what capacity I'll be participating but I'll certainly be helping with this in some form or another.  If we get enough people I may try and focus on the organization, but if not.. well maybe I'll see if I can't churn out something nice for someone.  :D

Thank you all for showing interest so far.  If you can think of anyone else who might be interested in this, please let them know by all means.

Big thanks goes out to Gabi for doing this.  When we initially spoke of it, it was just a passing idea, no more than one pm, but she's gone and started something that I think is quite wonderful.  I had no idea she was going to take this idea and run with it. :D

Noone

I'm going to have some free time soon, so I think I could jump on in. I haven't drawn anything in about 3 years, so I'm not sure if I'm capable of producing even decent work. Still, if it's not limited to just drawings then I might be able to come up with something, possibly involving 1000 lines of Java code...

Mao

By all means, but please try to ensure the code isn't anything malicious. ;)

That goes for all of the entries really.  Despite what cartoons tell us, lit sticks of dynamite don't make for good presents.

Lisky

shhh.... blasphemy... violence solves everything

that being said, i'm kinda in the same boat as corgatha, where, i'm interested, and yet, i'm not soo sure about time... if you can hold off till like next tuesday, i can get a definitive answer...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Noone

Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 18, 2009, 10:55:08 AM
Hey, I'm not as crooked as I'm supposed to be.  :U
That said, my biggest worry is lack of skill, software projects seem a bit cumbersome for what I imagine most people here are looking for. I'm not sure about my artistic skills and I'm a terrible writer.

Mao

Quote from: The1Kobra on February 18, 2009, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 18, 2009, 10:55:08 AM
Hey, I'm not as crooked as I'm supposed to be.  :U
That said, my biggest worry is lack of skill, software projects seem a bit cumbersome for what I imagine most people here are looking for. I'm not sure about my artistic skills and I'm a terrible writer.

Sometimes, all it takes is a camera and a bit of patience.  Creativity comes in many forms.  Gifts too.  Just think about the person and what they might like and try to run with it.  If nothing else the real gift is that you're thinking about them and have done something to show that.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 17, 2009, 08:26:13 PM
Quote from: Basilisk2150 on February 18, 2009, 11:24:21 AM
shhh.... blasphemy... violence solves everything

that being said, i'm kinda in the same boat as corgatha, where, i'm interested, and yet, i'm not soo sure about time... if you can hold off till like next tuesday, i can get a definitive answer...

Hmm, well I don't really mind delaying it a bit personally, but this is Gabi's show as far as I'm concerned.  We'll have to set a date before we go any further though as otherwise this will get out of hand right quick.

Gabi

I'm ok with that.

So... Tuesday?

Pagan

So the final day to sign up for this is Tuesday, as in six days from now?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Mao

Lisky

Thanks for the extra time, i'll see if i can't find out sooner, but tuesday is the latest i'll know how messed up my schedule will, or won't get...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Dannysaysnoo

How long will we have to make our gift? I might need a bit longer than others.

Gabi

The preliminary deadline for the gifts is March 24th (2 days after my birthday), but if some of you need more time we can give you an extension. How long do you think it may take you to finish your gift?

Kipiru

That's a whole month- it should be enough. At least for me.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Gabi on February 19, 2009, 09:14:40 AM
The preliminary deadline for the gifts is March 24th (2 days after my birthday), but if some of you need more time we can give you an extension.

That should be enough, but if something does come up, i'll tell you.

Gabi

Lisky

i should be good actually, i'll have a fairly open schedule until like mid april... midterms, then nothing too big for like a month

Beever

I'll be glad if you count me in.  My free time is not  that free lately, unfortunately, but I am open for stuff like this.

Greetings!!! :mowwink

Aisha deCabre

Hope it's not too late, but I think I shall join in too.  This looks like fun, and I'll be practicing my artwork and doing some nice things for peeps.  I'm in for this round Gab. ^^
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Mao

So for participants we seem to have:

Kipiru
COGGEH!
Dannysaysnoo
Jairus
Ren
Corgi(?)
Kobra(?)
Basilisk
Pagan(?)
Beever
Aisha

Organizers
Gabi
Mao

To the three people with (?) after their name, it doesn't seem clear to me if you've decided to join in or not.  If you could clarify that with a yes or no, that'd be awesome.

Gabi

I think that's a 'yes' for The1Kobra and a 'no' for Corgatha and Pagan. The matchups will be done within the next few minutes.

Noone

(Shrugs), I suppose I'll opt in,... I haven't done anything artistic in a few years so I hope whomever receives something from me doesn't expect too much...

Mao

Quote from: The1Kobra on February 25, 2009, 10:44:57 AM
(Shrugs), I suppose I'll opt in,... I haven't done anything artistic in a few years so I hope whomever receives something from me doesn't expect too much...

It's (hopefully) not about getting some 'super-awesome-omfg-wicked' gift.  It's about doing something nice for someone else.  It's about having someone think about them.  Know what I mean?