PF Episode 6 (Page 49)

Started by Tapewolf, November 28, 2008, 02:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren Gaulen

It is brilliant! I was actually going to suggest a name "Icon of Noes", but "Ode to Noes" is good too. :3

Tyranastrasz

"oh noes oh noes oh what will I do? I am so screwed now, I'll soon die!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on January 25, 2009, 08:26:44 PM
Oh noes, oh noes, oh dear gods!
Jakob's making a death ray!
Can we stop him? I don't think so,
I just guess we'll have to pray
Time to break out the vocoder....

As for the montage, there are a few which I don't strictly see as D: faces.  When he's heroically pushing Kris out of the way, when he's being shot in the head, and the "you bastards!" face.
Then again I suppose you had to make the quota somehow  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sofox

That collage.... is awesome.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2009, 04:50:23 AM
As for the montage, there are a few which I don't strictly see as D: faces.  When he's heroically pushing Kris out of the way, when he's being shot in the head, and the "you bastards!" face.

Yeah, I know. I basically went for any "oh noes," "I'm screwed," "angry," or "sufficiently strong emotion that isn't happiness" face. Otherwise... it'd be less impressive. Maybe I'll go back and make one that is just "oh noes" that's more appropriate for a signature...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

Well, you could make a signature with a few "OHNOES" Josh faces. But that pic is too good to change it. :3

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on January 26, 2009, 12:37:39 PM
Well, you could make a signature with a few "OHNOES" Josh faces. But that pic is too good to change it. :3

Yeah, make a new one, that's what I meant. I'll work on it... later.

Jairus

Quote from: Jairus on January 26, 2009, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2009, 04:50:23 AM

Yeah, I know. I basically went for any "oh noes," "I'm screwed," "angry," or "sufficiently strong emotion that isn't happiness" face. Otherwise... it'd be less impressive. Maybe I'll go back and make one that is just "oh noes" that's more appropriate for a signature...

Well, I consulted with Ren to find the "real" "Oh Noes" faces... and here's the new sig-sized pic.

Enjoy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on January 25, 2009, 08:26:44 PM
Oh noes, oh noes, oh dear gods!
Jakob's making a death ray!
Can we stop him? I don't think so,
I just guess we'll have to pray

With apologies to Wendy Carlos, Stanley Kubrick etc...
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/test/chorale3.wav.mp3

Pagan

It's hard to pick favorites out of those faces, but I think the bottom right and top right win out over the others.

Oh dear god... Tape, that song is amazing awesome.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on January 26, 2009, 06:08:56 PM
Oh dear god... Tape, that song is amazing awesome.
It's a trick I discovered about 10 years ago.  If you have a piece of music with a vocoder in it (in this case Wendy Carlos' rendition of the Ninth Symphony as used in A Clockwork Orange), you can feed it back into your own vocoder and modulate it with your voice.
I discovered this by making the voice in the Pink Floyd song Sheep sing a stock market report instead of Psalm 23.

llearch n'n'daCorna

awesomesauce, Tape.

And yes, you should be apologising for ruining the old Ultra-Violence. I doubt I'll ever be able to listen to it again without thinking of this...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ren Gaulen

Just listened to that song. It's brilliant. It's absolutely brilliant.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on January 27, 2009, 05:40:36 AM
Just listened to that song. It's brilliant. It's absolutely brilliant.
Just in case it's unclear, the music is from the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange.  I can't claim much credit (though changing the words wasn't easy).  This piece, along with the opening score (Purcell) convinced me that synthesizers were capable of doing very interesting things, and at the end of the day is ultimately what started me doing music, I guess.

AmigaDragon

I haven't seen that movie yet (nobody carries it locally). I am familiar with Carlos' work though. 30+ years ago Dad brought home copies of Walter Carlos' Switched-On Bach and The Well Tempered Synthesizer which got me interested in classical music (and electronic music).

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Johann Sebastian Bach - Lute Suite No. 4: Prelude (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 27, 2009, 06:06:05 PM
I haven't seen that movie yet (nobody carries it locally). I am familiar with Carlos' work though.
IMHO the film is a bit over-rated.  The score is definitely worth getting for anyone with even a passing interest in electronic music, though.

Tapewolf

Filler page is up.  I might have to do more of these in future.  Episode 7 should start next week and it'll be new thread time.

Amber Williams

MOAR BABES! :U

Ugh. You guys are so lucky I am in a bad spot and cannot draw, cause I would be hitting you with a fan-comic so hard it will hurt your anscestors. :B

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 30, 2009, 10:37:35 AM
This I can provide. >:3 MOAR BABES! >:D I don't want to spoil anything, but she might be showing up in the PF soon (the outfit will probabl be different, though). :3

Kipiru

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 30, 2009, 10:37:35 AM

Ugh. You guys are so lucky I am in a bad spot and cannot draw, cause I would be hitting you with a fan-comic so hard it will hurt your anscestors. :B

Agreed! I just finished reading PF(lots of fun) and if there is anything missing in it is female presence! Also on Amber's idea of hitting you with fanart- expect some beating  >:3 WITH BABES!

Amber Williams

Excellent. I am pleased....for now.

Though I do have a question. One that probably could be found if I just spent 2 seconds looking for it but that doesn't stop me!  How far into the future is this story taking place? I know its timed so that it doesn't clash with DMFA's current canon but I was curious as to how far into the future things are taking place. :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 30, 2009, 11:07:03 AM
Excellent. I am pleased....for now.
Good...  I was afraid that today would be a lousy day to take the mick out of one of your posts on the forum  :sweatdrop

QuoteThough I do have a question. One that probably could be found if I just spent 2 seconds looking for it but that doesn't stop me!  How far into the future is this story taking place? I know its timed so that it doesn't clash with DMFA's current canon but I was curious as to how far into the future things are taking place. :3

I'll add that to the ABOUT thing when I get the chance.  It's supposedly 150 years hence.

This may in fact be a problem if Furrae in DMFA has currently entered a phase of rapid technological advancement, because realistically, most of the everyday things that we see (video phone booths, video wall displays etc) are like 10-20 years away from current Earth tech, probably less.  Still, IIRC Furrae as it stands is a mix of high tech and rural backwaters, so I guess it works.

There are a few things I might like to clarify at some point but I'm going to wait until after the current crisis is over before broaching those.

Amber Williams

Well truth be told, there are about 4 potential continuity errors that I have already seen but they are ones that are unavoidable without having major inside info.

I blame the fact that DMFA itself is at a particular point in time where major shifts in the way the world work are underway so it kind of makes it hard to really get a handle on accurately nailing down events in the future.  :x

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 30, 2009, 11:18:42 AM
Well truth be told, there are about 4 potential continuity errors that I have already seen but they are ones that are unavoidable without having major inside info.

I blame the fact that DMFA itself is at a particular point in time where major shifts in the way the world work are underway so it kind of makes it hard to really get a handle on accurately nailing down events in the future.  :x
Which makes sense, because it's unlikely you'd be telling this story unless it was one of those critical points. I mean, most people don't tell stories about something the remains the same, because that would be boring.

Maybe we should outright consider this an Alternate Universe to DMFA? I mean, it already is, but... okay, I'm still waking up here, so I'll just shut my mouth for a while.

Kipiru

Hmm, though PF is set in the DMFA world, It has a completely different feel to it- more cyberpunky or something, while Amber's original is wacky and more fantasy oriented! Also events in DMFA have shown us that there are multiple realms linked into the melting pot that is Furrae, so PF could simply be taking place in another "version" of the DMFA realm! That of course are the thoughts of a reader.

Quote from: Jairus on January 30, 2009, 11:22:07 AM

Maybe we should outright consider this an Alternate Universe to DMFA?

My thoughts exactly!

Jairus

Well, the techno to fantasy feel could be explained by events in DMFA's future and PF's past. Amber did say that this is an era of change: maybe the advancement of technology and magitechnology made it more accessible to Beings and Creatures alike, to the point that magic became a sort of close second to technology for most Furraeans. Just a thought.

Tapewolf

That's not necessarily un-fixable.  It depends on the nature of the errors of course, but it's sometimes possible to say what's wrong without saying why.  Apparently the NSA once phoned IBM up once, saying "You need to change your encryption algorithm so it does this."  Many years later someone discovered a flaw in the encryption system - IBM's version was the only one which was immune.
But I digress.

QuoteI blame the fact that DMFA itself is at a particular point in time where major shifts in the way the world work are underway so it kind of makes it hard to really get a handle on accurately nailing down events in the future.  :x
Yeah, I was afraid of that.  You may recall at AC07 I was asking if there were still 'Cubi 150 years hence, just in case they were wiped out in retaliation for whatever Dee's planning.  Anyway, I guess these were the risks of doing a future fanfic  :P

Maybe we should outright consider this an Alternate Universe to DMFA? I mean, it already is, but... okay, I'm still waking up here, so I'll just shut my mouth for a while.
Actually (*) when I was scripting this, I spent a lot of time making subtle changes to divorce it somewhat from Furrae.  That all went to pot with the SAIA references, of course.  I think the official description is "A story tentatively set in the world of DMFA".  But yes, I'm happy to consider it an alternate history.

Quote from: Kipiru on January 30, 2009, 11:28:59 AM
Hmm, though PF is set in the DMFA world, It has a completely different feel to it- more cyberpunky or something, while Amber's original is wacky and more fantasy oriented!
That would be my hard SF side showing through.  It's not all like that, though - around chapter 22 ( :cry ) there is a long sequence where two characters are on the run through a variety of different towns and suchlike.  That's arguably closer to DMFA proper.

(*)I tried to get permission from Amber before starting this off, but didn't manage to do so before our March kickoff.  I don't think anyone did an entire comic sort-of set in DMFA before, and I wanted a way out in case she said 'No!  Go away!'

llearch n'n'daCorna

Which makes sense, because it's unlikely you'd be telling this story unless it was one of those critical points. I mean, most people don't tell stories about something the remains the same, because that would be boring.

"Waiting For Godot" ?

Either that or human interest stories. Although even those tend to have societal changes...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 30, 2009, 11:55:54 AM

"Waiting For Godot" ?

Either that or human interest stories. Although even those tend to have societal changes...
Except in that case, you could argue that the characters are changed by their non-experiences. I wouldn't know, since I've never seen Waiting For Godot. I mean, I suppose you could tell a story about someone or something that doesn't change over the course of the story, but to be honest I don't think many people could pull it off.

Tapewolf

Oh, before I forget - where Ren says "Unfortunately, yes" - he was originally going to say "It's from Amber."
But I figured that was probably pushing it too far and chickened out.  In view of the 'Amber for Canada' thread I very nearly didn't run this strip at all...