Battle of the Se- Whoa, Abel!

Started by Rithm Alfortele, May 09, 2008, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 23, 2008, 02:47:37 PM
Oh, God.. I know I'm going to hell for this, but I have to say it: The balls are inert.
I blame it on Piccolo.

*chokes on drink*

I bloody love this forum <3

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 23, 2008, 02:47:37 PM
Oh, God.. I know I'm going to hell for this, but I have to say it: The balls are inert.
I blame it on Piccolo.

Don't worry, when we're both there we can play cards.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: thegayhare on May 23, 2008, 12:13:20 PM
(snip)
Mab could be the one to say it looking all sly like. 
(snip)

Not Mab, Wildy.   >:3

With regards,
Ted

Victoire Épique

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 22, 2008, 09:48:04 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on May 22, 2008, 09:28:32 PM
I still think fluff tuft should just kiss it all better

If the comic wasnt PG rated, I would be sooooo tempted to use that line on the next WW banner update. :U

DO ettt.  DOOOO EEEET

Mab could be the one to say it looking all sly like.  "You know Jyrras you could kiss it and make it all better"

course that might just case the rest of our sweet little rats brain to implode

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 23, 2008, 08:05:09 AM
There are limits on these things. You'd have to update the actual image, and place the text in the right place, and get the output accurate, and protect against people sending corrupted emails, or emails from Outlook, that would break things, and you'd have to leave the machine processing it online all the time, and make sure it didn't crash, and all the things would have to work perfectly, and...

Admittedly, these are all surmountable problems, but the effort required is not commensurate with the results. And it involves a lot of screwing around with Amber's working area, which is likely to impact on the comics...
Well, at least with the ones from the current wallpaper war, it would be very simple to just have the text at a fixed position off the left bottom corner(as apposed to the left top, very simple math).
Secondly, why all the hassles with mails? I would just have the script run as a cron job and, every hour or so, login to her paypal account and get the current amount data that way, and thanks to cURL, its quite simple actually. I would have it generate the image then, and then just link to the generated image.
Its tempting to do myself, even just to get myself a working 'get_data_from_paypal("user","pass","cookiefile")' function.

As a note, the only thing Amber would have to do to update it would be to just upload the new file to a specified location(If she numbered the updates in sequential order, it would be extremely simple to get the script to chose the latest file)

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Amber Williams

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 23, 2008, 09:55:05 PM
Well, at least with the ones from the current wallpaper war, it would be very simple to just have the text at a fixed position off the left bottom corner(as apposed to the left top, very simple math).
Secondly, why all the hassles with mails? I would just have the script run as a cron job and, every hour or so, login to her paypal account and get the current amount data that way, and thanks to cURL, its quite simple actually. I would have it generate the image then, and then just link to the generated image.
Its tempting to do myself, even just to get myself a working 'get_data_from_paypal("user","pass","cookiefile")' function.

QuoteI would just have the script run as a cron job and, every hour or so, login to her paypal account and get the current amount data that way, and thanks to cURL, its quite simple actually.

Quotelogin to her paypal account

Ummm...no thanks.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 23, 2008, 10:00:40 PM
Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 23, 2008, 09:55:05 PM

QuoteI would just have the script run as a cron job and, every hour or so, login to her paypal account and get the current amount data that way, and thanks to cURL, its quite simple actually.

Quotelogin to her paypal account

Ummm...no thanks.
XD  You do know that I, nor anyone else would need access to that password; If I actually did this, I would basically have a form for you to fill it out with, so such information would be kept secret. I would/will build & test it using my own info, and then it would work for anyone(with their info).

I can't see how having something log into your email(as Llearch suggested) would be any more secure...

-RobbieThe1st

Amber Williams

Which is probably the reason I would also decline on Llearch's proposal as well.

Besides, the main issue with the wallpaper war is updating the graphics (in this case Abel, Jyrras, and Mab) and I doubt there is any automation out there that will do the drawing for me.  The actual switching of the numbers takes barely any time, its the image themselves that is what slows me down.

Kenji

If ya gotta do work anyways, may as well take the credit for all of it.  :januscat

Victoire Épique

Quote from: Ted Schiller on May 23, 2008, 09:11:26 PM
(snip)
(snip)

With regards,
Ted
Shonen-ai novel mark two?

thegayhare

Quote from: Ted Schiller on May 23, 2008, 09:11:26 PM
(snip)
(snip)

With regards,
Ted

It would be funnier coming from mab... sides I love Mab's scheming face

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 23, 2008, 11:21:46 PM
Which is probably the reason I would also decline on Llearch's proposal as well.

llearch wasn't proposing. llearch was providing the reasons why Amber wouldn't want to participate in  such a scheme, however good it looks on the surface. *grin*

As I said - not insurmountable problems, but likely to disturb Amber's ability to make comics.

And as appears to have been missed by Robbie, Amber's ability to make comics is the primary aim. Anything - and I do mean anything - we might suggest that gets in the way of making comics is not something we really want to get into.

And remember, we're talking her ability to create here - which means things like going out for a walk are still helping her make comics. Keeping happy. Being relaxed. Having clever ideas. Screwing with our minds.

Heck, I shouldn't have to say any of this.

Robbie, this means if you have any more bright ideas, please think about them... but don't disturb Amber with them, ok? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ted Schiller

Quote from: thegayhare on May 24, 2008, 01:18:36 AM
(snip)
It would be funnier coming from mab (snip)

And when she does, Longtail will pop up.  :)

"Are you part of the girl's team?" 
"No, I'm just here to watch."   :boogie

With regards,
Ted

Victoire Épique

Quote from: Ted Schiller on May 24, 2008, 10:10:46 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on May 24, 2008, 01:18:36 AM
(snip)
It would be funnier coming from mab (snip)

And when she does, Longtail will pop up.  :)

"Are you part of the girl's team?" 
"No, I'm just here to watch."   :boogie

With regards,
Ted

...With all that snipping, you could be a barber.

Slowtini

I want to donate, but sadly, I do not have a credit card, nor do I have a paypal account :<

Naldru

That is a point, and many people don't trust their credit card information on the Internet.  Some other sites provide a snail-mail address for sending checks.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 24, 2008, 08:01:36 AM
Robbie, this means if you have any more bright ideas, please think about them... but don't disturb Amber with them, ok? ;-]
I don't see why posting said ideas in response to somewhat of a question is wrong.
Yes, we all want Amber to stay happy. Saying an *idea* on the forum(In response to another idea/question) is not the same as building something and emailing Amber, bugging her to use it. Amber didn't even have to reply here, and I was actually surprised when she did.

I have to point out, in response to your figuring that I did not take Amber having to work harder into account, that the script I envisioned would require absolutely zero work from Amber to update.

Off topic but, I actually managed to build a script which gets data from paypal. I now need to figure a way to use it on my own website(Also - anyone who is wondering: PM me and I will give you a copy).

Naldru, that is a good point. I however think that email information is far more dangerous in the wrong hands than Paypal data; with email account info, a malicious individual can take over anything which has that email for password recovery. Paypal *may* have a couple extra checks and balances to prevent this from happening, but I wouldn't put it past a malicious individual.

I hope what I have said here is taken in the way I meant it.

-RobbieThe1st

Gareeku

Or how about we just let Amber get on with it instead of discussing all this stuff that she wouldn't be using anyway. That sounds good.

Turnsky

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 25, 2008, 04:25:42 AM
*some Spiel*

she doesn't want it man, let it go.. plus i wouldn't want something that'd potentially open up my paypal account (credit cards and bank account by proxy) to the numerous script kiddies that exist on the internet, truth be told, something like that may even be illegal, and against the TOS of paypal to even use. Not to mention the aforementioned bigass security risk, really, think things through, sure the idea sounds good on paper (or in your mind), but in the long run, it'll prolly fail worse than windows ME.

and like so many of her readers, and a webcomic artist myself, i can understand the value of time and care being given to anything for a comic, i don't think you appreciate that robbie, if you ask me. To be honest, i appreciate the care Amber gives to the wallpaper wall images, it seems far less 'mass produced' that way.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Damaris

Okay, paypal scripts have been discussed. 
Paypal scripts are now FINISHED being discussed.  Period.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

TheCrazyMeerkat

I'm pretty sure Abel's mind is screaming so much right now that he doesn't even remember that question. :>

Crunch sound = bad. Just bad.

I wonder if, in the next update, Jyrras is just going to fall over backwards? It seems like it's bound to happen at some point.

Just for the record, in response to Llearch's initial question, I was proposing something along the lines of Robbie, which I don't either think would be insecure.
But if there is no demand, then no problem of course. It was just an idea.

So ... to get back on the comic now ... um ... maybe ... Abel got actually turned female by that hit...? Such things are said to happen after all...

shadowterm

I'd just like to point out that Abel has re-decorated two rooms, and given two people wardrobe changes. If that isn't an indicator, I don't know what is.
/)//w//(\

Raffe

Hoo-rah, guys are winning.
And I just love Abel's eyes.
Hooray ellipsis!

Don

I wonder if this'll continue to the point of a possible tie..I want the guys side to win, but both sides are trying so hard to stay in.

I know, it's annoying that i'm bringing the tie subject up yet again..but I have mixed feeling towards the groupshots.

I'll stop with it all now.

TheCrazyMeerkat

Well, we can tell Jyrras' brain isn't fried now.

However, I don't think Abel is in as good condition. [>_>;]

Poor, poor Abel. :c

joshofspam

well that answered the question i ask about the crunch ouch that is just ouch owwww :erk
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Victoire Épique

Abel's eyes made my teeth scream.
Then the reminder of what caused those eyes made my mind scream.
In the end, I was lucky it wasn't my mouth that screamed.

...I miss the boa. :C

Turnsky

[insert lewd and/or dirty joke/comment here]

>:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Goatmon

I could comment on Abel's expression, but what's more amusing to me is how the lead shifted towards the male side as soon as it started to look like Abel might be in it. 

Given how girl/gay friendly DMFA is, there's no chance that Abel's side will not come out on top in a wallpaper war.