04/23/10 [DMFA#1108] - Well... "Ab" is in Fabulous

Started by RandomMetaphysics, April 23, 2010, 01:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Am I the only one who originally read it as "gray" on first pass?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Les

Hmm, Dan's arms do look a bit beefier in today's comic.  To be expected though for someone who made his living swinging BFS's around. 
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Naldru

If Dan is going to research the Soulstealer family, do you think that he might talk to Abel?
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Lucheek

Quote from: Naldru on April 23, 2010, 06:40:33 AM
If Dan is going to research the Soulstealer family, do you think that he might talk to Abel?
Why would he do that? Dan has no reason to beleive that Abel has even heard of the Soulstealers.

And that looks simmiliar to outfit Abel wore....

Edit: Here we go. It's kind of a color swap of this outfit...and this outfit

But here we go. This actually seems to be an outfit Dan has worn before actually.

Emerauld Drathmir

Quote from: Shachza on April 23, 2010, 06:02:24 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on April 23, 2010, 05:29:40 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 23, 2010, 04:17:40 AM
Again, I don't think we can rule it out in future, not after he went all tentacular on Regina.

When you say it like that, the resulting mental images clash with my recollection of what really happened between Dan and Regina.   :erk

Do you think that would have sped up or slowed down Kria's reaction time to the fight with DP?  Hmmm...
I think she rather liked watching Dan in action..."incubus level hot" vs. annoying brother that keeps getting himself offed by the aforementioned adventuring hottie.
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Vanvidum

Where does Amber get all her ideas for clothing, anyhow? Some of the styles seem vaguely familiar, but I can't place them, really.

That might be because I know as much about fashion as a styrofoam cup of stale coffee though.

Mao

Last I checked she was absolutely addicted to fashion websites and magazines en-masse.  I don't think there's any one single source.

Arcblade

If Dan's clothes are gay, I think it has something to do with the tightness of fit and the sleevelessness.  Also, gay or not, he looks good.  >_>  Although they could stand to slim that turtleneck some. 

Also, I'm kind of hoping Abel's going to do the mirror-bat-trick again.  That would involve somehow pulling himself away from the TV, though, so probably not gonna happen. 

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 23, 2010, 03:03:36 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on April 23, 2010, 02:46:24 AM
pssst, it's the 23rd of april.   >:3

Sorted.

EDIT:
Quote from: Kattuccino on April 23, 2010, 03:03:14 AM
They're also skin tight and pretty revealing =p

Talking of which, didn't Abel recommend covering his shoulders?
That or use make-up. (By the way, thank you for fixing the date :3)
Quote from: Arcblade on April 23, 2010, 09:20:47 AM
If Dan's clothes are gay, I think it has something to do with the tightness of fit and the sleevelessness.  Also, gay or not, he looks good.  >_>  Although they could stand to slim that turtleneck some. 

Also, I'm kind of hoping Abel's going to do the mirror-bat-trick again.  That would involve somehow pulling himself away from the TV, though, so probably not gonna happen. 
This makes me wonder if Dan's investigation will lead him to a little chat with Abel...
<_<   >_>   <_<
Dan: What are you do-
Abel: Gah! Nothing!
Dan: Alriiiiiight then. If you excuse me, I'm off.
Abel: Oh no you're not. I need you and Fi to take me to Fa'Lina.
Dan: Abel, now is not the time. I'm in the middle of an investigation.
Abel: Really? Dan? Thinking something through?
Dan: Shut up. I need to do some digging around to learn more about the Soulstealers.
Abel: And I told you- wait... what was that name?

joshofspam

Well I think some of the first big step characters that you had thus far would be Fa'lina which she looks slightly older than the younger generation of cubi. It seems that Tri-wings go a little further in maturity than their kids and grandkids even if their shape shifters too.

Than theres Lorenda, she was the first introduction to a character with a little more meet on their bones.

There have been a lot of improvement on the drawing style and of character a muscular rhino girl at a corset store, a taur cobra girl, and dragons so you keep on experimenting, can't wait to see what you come up next with.

On to the comic:

A subject of gayness in the way he looks and a need to look up the Soulstealer family, sounds like a its time for Abel to make his entrance. :P
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Zinc210

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 23, 2010, 06:25:09 AM
Am I the only one who originally read it as "gray" on first pass?

Nope... I read and reread this strip 3 times, thinking it was "gray" and trying to figure out the punchline.  :U

On another note, I'm looking forward to the slight changes in other characters!

Mao

I am as well.  She's been bemoaning her girly boys for a while and her overall inability to make more muscular characters has been nagging at her (as I believe she said in her FA, as well) so it's nice to see she's getting some progress in that area.

Sofox

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 23, 2010, 09:11:01 AM
Last I checked she was absolutely addicted to fashion websites and magazines en-masse.  I don't think there's any one single source.

That explains a lot.

I've been noticing the fashion styles of DMFA for ages. They always have that extra flair that shows that the artist is expressing herself through the clothes designs, but they always work with the situation and characters, never being self indulgent or fashion for the sake of fashion.

ooklah

<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Toast

Dan, Dan, Dan.

Since when is it gay to show your fangirl horde your abs? You are a silly Dan.

DMFA reader since 2000!

Alondro

*Charles  :U*  Dan doesn't look like a girl anymore! 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Toast on April 23, 2010, 12:24:23 PM
Dan, Dan, Dan.

Here Here....I'll second that
Dan is looking a little more of a beefcake.  Can't wait for another shirtless moment...

:giggle
PBH

But I like the ongoing Bishie joke with Dan....

Naldru

Comparing the current set of clothes with this somewhat older version doesn't seem to reveal much difference.  Perhaps the difference is not in the clothes.

Why should Dan ask Abel?  Kria Soulstealer is a demon who has been around a few hundred years.  Who else does Dan know who has been around a few hundred years?  Other than Destania, who hasn't shown herself to be the most approachable.

What do you think that Lorenda and Dan would think if they find out that Kria was Abel's elementary school teacher.  (Other than wondering about what she taught.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 23, 2010, 03:44:19 AM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on April 23, 2010, 03:41:02 AM
Since when has Dan used magic in the comic proper?

So far, he hasn't.  But before he met Regina he didn't go on a 'Cubi rampage either.  Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, etc.  Depending on how serious he is about DP and Regina, we could easily see him exploring avenues which he's neglected up to now.
Not directly.  But Dan did siphon some of Cyra's magical energy during his battle with DP.  That led to his clan mark becoming visible. 

That does raise the question when we will actually see Able TEACHING Dan some magic instead of just showing off.

-----

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on April 23, 2010, 12:57:06 PM
Quote from: Toast on April 23, 2010, 12:24:23 PM
Dan, Dan, Dan.

Here Here....I'll second that
Dan is looking a little more of a beefcake.  Can't wait for another shirtless moment...

Or better yet. . . . . . "PANTS!"

I swear I don't know how Amber keeps her PG rating on this comic. . . .

Mao

I think it's a bit on the line of PG/PG-13 now that AS is underway.

Infranscia

Quote from: jeffh4 on April 23, 2010, 01:35:00 PM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on April 23, 2010, 03:41:02 AMSince when has Dan used magic in the comic proper?

So far, he hasn't.  But before he met Regina he didn't go on a 'Cubi rampage either.  Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, etc.  Depending on how serious he is about DP and Regina, we could easily see him exploring avenues which he's neglected up to now.
Not directly.  But Dan did siphon some of Cyra's magical energy during his battle with DP.  That led to his clan mark becoming visible.

I was under the impression that the power he's connected to is power in general, rather than just magic.  So when he needed it, he summoned a little energy to be able to smash DP's arm in with his wings (and possibly hold on to life as well).

Definitely not bad for a first attempt, though I admit I'm also not an expert (I myself have only really tried to draw muscles once... or maybe twice).  This isn't so much a tip on how to draw, but I think I'll offer the suggestion that I was given and say that the super hero comics (e.g. Marvel) have loads of muscles to use as reference.

Anyway, here's to hoping there's improvement in muscles and other body types, in how they look as well as how they move.  :mowwink
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Infranscia on April 23, 2010, 02:23:31 PM
Quote from: jeffh4 on April 23, 2010, 01:35:00 PM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on April 23, 2010, 03:41:02 AMSince when has Dan used magic in the comic proper?
I was under the impression that the power he's connected to is power in general, rather than just magic.  So when he needed it, he summoned a little energy to be able to smash DP's arm in with his wings (and possibly hold on to life as well).

I'd think that Cubi wings are likely to be highly magical, due to the fact that they can shapeshift.
After all, Magic is a part of the DMFA universe, so it rather makes sense for them to use magic that way.

Quote from: Infranscia on April 23, 2010, 02:23:31 PMDefinitely not bad for a first attempt, though I admit I'm also not an expert (I myself have only really tried to draw muscles once... or maybe twice).  This isn't so much a tip on how to draw, but I think I'll offer the suggestion that I was given and say that the super hero comics (e.g. Marvel) have loads of muscles to use as reference.

Anyway, here's to hoping there's improvement in muscles and other body types, in how they look as well as how they move.  :mowwink

Most likely, most of the muscle definition on a character such as Dan, would disappear, since he has fur.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

VAE

I dunno - you can distinguish different cat body types, and even see some musculature through fur.
Not like with people . but it is essentially similar to some mid-thickness clothing if not pufffed up
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Garsemor

Eh... why does Dan suddenly remind me of Cloud from Final Fantasy 7?

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Garsemor on April 23, 2010, 03:12:00 PMEh... why does Dan suddenly remind me of Cloud from Final Fantasy 7?

Interesting .. I think you are right, there is a bit of a bishie vibe going on.
That's not a bad thing though.

:)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Garsemor on April 23, 2010, 03:12:00 PM

Well if Dan is now channeling Cloud now, who would be Squall then? Abel?

I will admit he'd look good in Squall's coat.  :3

MT Hazard

If old art counts Dan has lost a significant amount of muscle tone since his adventuring days. Here we see him presumably the height of his career. Later on here he is quite skinny.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tezkat

Woo... Dan's been hitting the gym! Now all he needs is a haircut... :3

Funnily enough, I have the exact opposite problem when it comes to drawing. I love detailing musculature, but I suck horribly at clothing or pudgier body types.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

jeffh4

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 23, 2010, 03:07:02 PM
I'd think that Cubi wings are likely to be highly magical, due to the fact that they can shapeshift.
After all, Magic is a part of the DMFA universe, so it rather makes sense for them to use magic that way.

Quite possibly, but the subject is about Dan's active use and practice of magic, not passive and residual usage.  Dan has avoided almost any magic use up until the present time.

You do bring up a point though. Dan was practicing shapeshifting his headwings a while back (Wokka, wokka), but apparently that is either an innate ability of Cubi or does not draw enough magic to trigger his clan symbol to manifest itself.

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on April 23, 2010, 04:12:51 PM
Quote from: Garsemor on April 23, 2010, 03:12:00 PM

Well if Dan is now channeling Cloud now, who would be Squall then? Abel?

I will admit he'd look good in Squall's coat.  :3

Heh. Maybe that's Amber's queue to have another Fan Service Wardrobe Montage.

Shachza

Quote from: danman on April 23, 2010, 03:10:26 PM
I dunno - you can distinguish different cat body types, and even see some musculature through fur.
Not like with people . but it is essentially similar to some mid-thickness clothing if not pufffed up

Sometimes...  I once had a 5 pound cat with 3-4 inch fur.  She looked like a normal cat, but first timer pick-her-uppers would nearly chuck her into the ceiling because they thought she was a lot heavier than she was.
            <-- #1 that is!