03/22/09 [DMFA #985] - New levels of disgust

Started by Jairus, March 22, 2009, 02:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on March 22, 2009, 03:23:04 PM
Traditionally, this is a prelude to a "must get stronger" training sequence. :3
No doubt.  I can't speak for others, but what I liked about the 'Evil Dan' sequence was the prospect of him actually getting his act together.  Sadly it looks like it was not meant to be...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Ugh. Fine. Next arc will be nothing but boring action shots of Dan doing nothing but punching the heads off of various random monsters in order to appease the bloodlust.  Happy now?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 22, 2009, 03:26:11 PM
Ugh. Fine. Next arc will be nothing but boring action shots of Dan doing nothing but punching the heads off of various random monsters in order to appease the bloodlust.  Happy now?

That's not a balanced mix...

Draken

Nah, that's not what we want.  W just want utter perfection in the form of the best mix of drama/comedy/action/horror genres.    *RUNS befroe the pitchforks appear*

Seriously, I liked how this chapter went.  No need to change up your plans cause we're acting like the blood-fueled people that we are.
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Tapewolf

Quote from: Draken on March 22, 2009, 03:33:20 PM
Seriously, I liked how this chapter went.  No need to change up your plans cause we're acting like the lood-fueled people that we are.

Very much so. 
Though I might point out also that for me, at least, I'm looking at it more as a matter of success/failure than blood spilled.  It's more likely that I'm simply not registering the successes.  For instance, he did succeed at impersonating Alexsi.  He screwed up with Jyrras, but at the end of the day, the desired result was obtained.  He set out to confront Jyrras over it and that worked completely.

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 03:24:49 PM
No doubt.  I can't speak for others, but what I liked about the 'Evil Dan' sequence was the prospect of him actually getting his act together.  Sadly it looks like it was not meant to be...

No, no... that's not how this situation usually turns out. Now he's supposed to go all angsty after his first proper Creature rampage, which the rest of the cast will have to help him deal with. Or tease him mercilessly about, as the case may be.
:mowtongue

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 03:43:20 PM
Very much so. 
Though I might point out also that for me, at least, I'm looking at it more as a matter of success/failure than blood spilled.  It's more likely that I'm simply not registering the successes.  For instance, he did succeed at impersonating Alexsi.  He screwed up with Jyrras, but at the end of the day, the desired result was obtained.  He set out to confront Jyrras over it and that worked completely.

Hmm... I thought you were complaining about him getting beat up too much. Almost all of Dan's ventures have been "successful" to some degree or another. He defeated the ice-orcs. He saved Mab and HollyAnn. He foiled DP's plans to resurrect the Dark God. Several times. Jyrras is now fabulous. And so on and so forth. A lot of it has just been achieved through non-traditional means, is all.
:mowdan
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

terrycloth

Will all the random monsters Dan punches the heads off of look like Tapewolf?  >:3

Amber Williams

Quote from: terrycloth on March 22, 2009, 04:46:23 PM
Will all the random monsters Dan punches the heads off of look like Tapewolf?  >:3

Well I do need to make cameo appearances in the comic soon.... :U

Titanium Dragon

QuoteI don't think anyone here is seriously rooting for Dan to win every single encounter.  What I'm saying is that there should be more of a mix...

Dan isn't supposed to be all that powerful. He was more or less a being for a very long time, and while he's beaten DP several times, he's had magic armor (that robe) and probably other factors to help him do so.

I don't see why anyone is complaining anyway. This is only the third real fight Dan has been in in the comic. He lost in the flashback, beat DP early on, then lost this time.

How is that not "a mix"? A 1:2 ratio isn't unreasonable, and given that one of them was a flashback...

*rolls eyes*

Its not like Erfworld or something.

I like the comic a lot. :)

jimsan

It's certainly a nifty idea for a future desktop! :batman
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

Naldru

Amber must be feeling better if she is participating in the forums.  However, this statement brings a strange vision of everybody going to the Lost Lake Inn and having the following conversation.

Dan:  I feel so angry I want to just go out and smash things.

Alexsi:  Well, if you really want to kill somebody, I heard that there's a group of about a hundred creatures terrorizing a town about a day's march to the south.

Kria:  Lorenda, why don't you go with him.  Sounds like it would be a marvelous date.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

tiggertoo

Quote from: Tezkat on March 22, 2009, 03:53:01 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 03:43:20 PM
Hmm... I thought you were complaining about him getting beat up too much. Almost all of Dan's ventures have been "successful" to some degree or another. He defeated the ice-orcs. He saved Mab and HollyAnn. He foiled DP's plans to resurrect the Dark God. Several times. Jyrras is now fabulous. And so on and so forth. A lot of it has just been achieved through non-traditional means, is all.
:mowdan
Dan succeeded in retrieving Alexsi's mallet and in really turning Biggs on (even though Dan might put that last in his fail column). He made a very good impression at SAIA by not being a knuckle dragging adventurer type, even if he wasn't so successful in being a Cubi yet. (Though he did make the promise to his Mom not to fight Cubis, Dan was really just being himself during the experience at SAIA. Even Fa'lina seemed to like him -- giving someone a plate of peanutbutter cookies is a very good sign in my book.) Dan frets about being a racist, but he's really got a most accepting nature when it comes to creatures and beings of all sorts, and apparently has friends among a number of creatures as well -- though he does seem to owe some of them money. Without his good nature and open friendliness, a lot of his successes would have been failures -- if that red dragon had been an enemy, Dan would never have gotten the chance to finish off DP last time. Even now, his friendship with Lorenda, and his friendly (if at arms length) treatment of Kria is paying off in hauling his bacon out of the fire. Fundamentally, Dan gets by with a little help from his friends.

edit: not enough verbiage, must add more, more I say!

Starcat5

:rolleyes I roll my eyes at this whole convoluted mess. Instead of adding to it, I'll make my theory as to why he didn't pull a sword out of thin air like his sister's bio says he can. While both he and Alexsi can access "Hammer Space", literally in Alexsi' case, Dan needs something to pull them out of, such as a robe or a dress. This isn't a limit on the ability, so much as it is a limit on Dan himself, becouse he DOESN'T KNOW THAT HE'S DOING IT. He puts a blade up his robe, it goes into hammer space. He reachs into his robe, he pulls it back out again. In short, like so much of what he does, he does it on reflex rather than being aware of what he's doing.

...also, my new shirt says "What part of MOOOOOAHAAHAHAHA don't you understand?". As such...  :mwaha
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Tapewolf

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on March 22, 2009, 04:49:54 PM
I don't see why anyone is complaining anyway. This is only the third real fight Dan has been in in the comic. He lost in the flashback, beat DP early on, then lost this time.
If we must use violence as a metric, there were more fights than that.  Biggs for one, though there was a damn good reason for that.

QuoteI like the comic a lot. :)
You think I don't? >:3

Honestly, I think complaining is a bit harsh.  All I said was that it's a bit of a shame Dan lost again...  :rolleyes

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 22, 2009, 04:48:25 PM

Two can play at that game  >:3

mopman

Quote from: terrycloth on March 22, 2009, 04:46:23 PM

NOOOOO!!! I like the Amber character , I have a hard enough time dealing with her sad faces  :cry
" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

Buhamet

Yays! Montage!

Anyway, it is a fair point to say that Dan's successes have often been down to luck, but it's also fair to say that there are other factors...... like lots of training for random circumstances

jeffh4

I don't know if anyone commented on this yet, but Dan is so bad off, he can barely hold his head up.  Possibly even can't do so without Lorenda's support.  DP is raring to go at it again.  I'd have to score this one as a win for DP. I don't think Dan's adrenaline would have held out for much longer.

I sure hope he doesn't smell like hamburger.  :)

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 01:52:22 PM
Quote from: bradley535 on March 22, 2009, 01:44:14 PM
So... Ummmm... Anyone notice that now Dan has a wierd speech bubble? Everybody jumped on DPs, but no one seems to catch the sparkly bits coming off Dan's.
Several people.  I think it's because he can't breathe properly.

I think tapewolf is right.

Bubbly speech balloon + bleeding from mouth + chest wound = at least one punctured lung.

Yeah, Dan needs to relearn "keep a cool head".  He definitely got the worst of this fight, even if DP looks worse than he ever has after fighting Dan.

At least we know that a demon's hide isn't hard enough to resist Cubi tendrils.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on March 22, 2009, 04:49:54 PMDan isn't supposed to be all that powerful. He was more or less a being for a very long time, and while he's beaten DP several times, he's had magic armor (that robe) and probably other factors to help him do so.
Correction, he didn't have the robe on when he beat him in a sword fight and suffered a fatal injury himself. So technically that was a double knock-out.
This time, his screwing up by going at DP without weapon was compensated by his instinctive use of the wings to severely injure DP's arm. Had this continued, I think it would have been a double knock-out as well, due to the instinct-part. So his growth he compensated by screwing up, causing the same result as last time he fought DP without magic and protective clothes. (Since DP wasn't going to be smart enough to retreat and let Dan weaken while he himself recovers... If he'd done that, he'd have a 60% chance to kill Dan without getting killed himself.)
Of course the whole brute-force-killing-each-other thing was interrupted by the sister and the girlfriend. Damn meddlers!

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 22, 2009, 03:26:11 PMUgh. Fine. Next arc will be nothing but boring action shots of Dan doing nothing but punching the heads off of various random monsters in order to appease the bloodlust.  Happy now?
I would love to see him take on a bunch of Death Knights with nothing but a spork, but that's just me.

Also, Kria's eyes look sexy.

Draken

*AHEM*  Ignore that...

So, what will happn next, eh?  What will Dan do?
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Shadowcatcher

Dan came the worse of the two for wear, but all things considered, he did good.  We're talking about a 25 year old Cubi who's just in the very beginning of his training, fighting against a fully trained Demon 700 years his elder.  The critical strike by DP I think decided the outcome of the fight, but DP is certainly not coming out smelling like a rose by any means.

Give Dan a lot more training with his new abilities and tactics (such as fighting from a distance, rather then letting your squishy parts get within striking range), and the fight could have gone quite a bit differently.

Lowde

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 22, 2009, 09:19:27 PMGive Dan a lot more training with his new abilities and tactics (such as fighting from a distance, rather then letting your squishy parts get within striking range), and the fight could have gone quite a bit differently.

Real men fight melee :3

Arcblade

DP's ear posture and general facial expression are very reminiscent of Kria's expressions when she was whining... something like "Awww... why not?  I'm good at hurting!"  More proof they're related, if we needed any.  

I will be thoroughly amused if Dan goes berserker or something.  Doesn't really look like he's up for it, considering the probably lung injury, though.  Those speech bubbles are interesting..

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

inuhanyo

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 22, 2009, 09:19:27 PM
Dan came the worse of the two for wear, but all things considered, he did good.  We're talking about a 25 year old Cubi who's just in the very beginning of his training, fighting against a fully trained Demon 700 years his elder.  The critical strike by DP I think decided the outcome of the fight, but DP is certainly not coming out smelling like a rose by any means
Yeah, one arm broken and cut to the bone; one wing cut to the bone; numerous cuts and gashes in the wings; one chest cut;

Like I said earlier, put in a blender and pulsed once.

Judging by the previous arc when Dan vanquished DP,  before its been one lethal sword cut.  This time it was, well, a cat fight.

Give Dan a lot more training with his new abilities and tactics (such as fighting from a distance, rather then letting your squishy parts get within striking range), and the fight could have gone quite a bit differently.

And as pointed out earlier, this gives Dan motivation to take combat related classes at SAIA.

Though at the moment, I recommend a quick trip to SAIA's infirmary and the healing skills of Raine Joybringer.

Jairus

Quote from: Turnsky on March 22, 2009, 11:44:38 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 05:21:25 PM

Make that three.  :mwaha
Make that four!  :mwaha... oh, wait. Never mind. :<

Any bets that Amber will make caricatures of the people who've annoyed her most for Dan's targets during the training montage? Also, the montage music from Kung Fu Panda would be just perfect. Screw that song from Rocky. Eye of the Kitten or whatever it's called.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

If it cures your artists block, it may be a necessary sacrifice...

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 23, 2009, 06:30:01 AM

If it cures your artists block, it may be a necessary sacrifice...

more meat for the meat tree, after all.. besides, i've already cameo'd two of DMFA's alum without their pants.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Jairus on March 23, 2009, 12:06:21 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 05:21:25 PM

Make that four!  :mwaha... oh, wait. Never mind. :<

Any bets that Amber will make caricatures of the people who've annoyed her most for Dan's targets during the training montage? Also, the montage music from Kung Fu Panda would be just perfect. Screw that song from Rocky. Eye of the Kitten or whatever it's called.

Nah, I say the montage music from that one episode of South Park where they go to that ski resort in Colorado is perfect. Granted, I would say that about any montage lacking music, but still...

Akisohida

Quote from: jimsan on March 22, 2009, 03:22:31 AM
So I'm confused, Kria and DP both seem to claim this as their home. (I know, minor detail!) But DP seems for the moment to hesitate...

Also, I like Kria's wing markings, very nice!

Edit: Seriously, if this is the last comic for a week because of the injury I won't complain! Don't kill yourself!

I do not think that 'Your...' has anything to do with home-claiming. It's more short for 'Your daughters boy-what!?' but took a moment to sink in.

Quote from: Buhamet on March 22, 2009, 05:28:31 PM

Yays! Montage!

*Sings* You're the best! Around! And no-ones ever gonna keep ya down!
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.