03/22/09 [DMFA #985] - New levels of disgust

Started by Jairus, March 22, 2009, 02:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimsan

Quote from: icarus on March 22, 2009, 05:00:45 AM
feel the need to say...kria's wing-block looks wicked cool.

i think DP is less jealous and more INFURIATED. his niece is now "dating" his sworn mortal enemy, who killed him twice (three times? i'm spacing on details) now. someone kills you a couple times, trashes your base, foils your plans repeatedly...you're not going to take kindly to him suddenly being near-family.

also i think amber's gone over this before, but the correct way to handle typo-spotting is to contact her privately about it so she can correct it, not to trumpet it on the board :B

Yikes, sorry!
I wasn't trying to hurt feelings. Just reveling in the human condition. Won't happen again! ( I'm still kinda new)

And yeah, gotta agree with the anger over jealousy thing...

Maybe it took DP this long to file the paperwork for a butwhooping to the evil union, only to find out he can't!
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

Mao

Quote from: Kenway975 on March 22, 2009, 05:20:53 AM
Quote from: icarus on March 22, 2009, 05:00:45 AM
i think DP is less jealous and more INFURIATED. his niece is now "dating" his sworn mortal enemy, who killed him twice (three times? i'm spacing on details) now. someone kills you a couple times, trashes your base, foils your plans repeatedly...you're not going to take kindly to him suddenly being near-family.

Dan's killed DP three times now. #941 mentions that Kira has resurrected DP twice before now which logically means he has been killed 3 times. DP's cast page mentioned that he has tried the same ploy 3 times now with the same result. We know from #157 what the result of the third time was, so the other two times must have also ended with Dan killing him. But the fact that he tried the same thing three times and they all ended the same way brings to question just how well DP can learn from prior experiences. I would think that after trying the same thing twice and getting killed both times would make one rethink his scheme... unless union rules force one to try the same scheme at least three times or you have to go through a bunch of paperwork to change it. In that case then you have problems.

Dan has not killed him three times.  Defeated yes.  Killed no.  If you work through your own logic... if he's been dead twice.. He's only had had to be revived twice.  It's a one for one deal.

Also, what does Kria keeping her word have to do with DP's learning curve?  He has something he needs to do and so he instructed her to bring him back.  He cannot rest until he's gone and done whatever it is  (something to do with a dark god) so he has to transcend death itself in order to complete his task.

Kenway975

keep in mind what lorenda said in #941, particularly the bit involving "after the first two times she did it", which would mean that Kira has already done it twice and is doing it a third time. And it's slightly hard to do a third revival of someone who has only been dead twice. Also remember that the cast page says that all three attempts ended with the same result. The result of the third attempt included Dan killing DP, ergo the other two times also involved Dan killing DP.

Fex

just when you think you have all the reasons to kill someone they give you another reason to kill them

Mao

Quote from: Kenway975 on March 22, 2009, 05:43:50 AM
keep in mind what lorenda said in #941, particularly the bit involving "after the first two times she did it", which would mean that Kira has already done it twice and is doing it a third time. And it's slightly hard to do a third revival of someone who has only been dead twice. Also remember that the cast page says that all three attempts ended with the same result. The result of the third attempt included Dan killing DP, ergo the other two times also involved Dan killing DP.

The other possibility is that the end result was Dan defeating DP (Defeat != Killing).  We know from the arc that shows his first square off against DP that he didn't kill him then.  That's one down.  They've faced off three times.  Guess that leaves.. two times that Dan has killed him.  Other adventurers out there could have killed him.

Kenway975

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 22, 2009, 06:07:51 AM
Quote from: Kenway975 on March 22, 2009, 05:43:50 AM

The other possibility is that the end result was Dan defeating DP (Defeat != Killing).  We know from the arc that shows his first square off against DP that he didn't kill him then.  That's one down.  They've faced off three times.  Guess that leaves.. two times that Dan has killed him.  Other adventurers out there could have killed him.

At the same time, Dan's first adventure did not exactly end with Dan defeating DP. In fact it was more the other way around with DP easily defeating Dan. Also remember that in #118 Dan's responses are "Again?!?" and correctly guessing DP's plot. While you might be able to account for that with one defeat, in my opinion the reaction would not include exclamation marks if he had only defeating him once. Two defeats would give Dan enough of a track record to be able to easily guess by. Also, this could be me not remembering, but where does it say Dan has faced DP only three times?

Mao

Quote from: DP's Cast Page
Years later he made a slight comeback with a different plan involving some forgotten dark god, only for him to be defeated by a novice adventurer Daniel Ti'Fiona. He's been back two other times with the same attempt...and the same results.

Not definitive, but I'd say thwarting an plan counts as a defeat.  So if that line of thought is right.. I count three.  Two we can see throughout the comic and one that's referenced heavily.  Anyone got a spork?
----------------
Now playing: Shing02 - Big City Lights TOKiMONSTA Remix
via FoxyTunes

Kenway975

I'm not sure how much Dan's first adventure counted as a thwarting of anything. After DP trounced Dan and others, DP even went to a sit down restaurant. I just might not have been exposed to much, but I would think that most villains after their plans have been thwarted would not be as so nonchalant as DP was in #932. And as DP mentioned in #917, he found a better resource so he did not need the maidens any more. To me it was more that DP had a change of plans instead of having his plans thwarted. But that's my perception, and I'm not sure if I'm right or not.

tiggertoo

Love the new comic -- so much to see and contemplate. I find it interesting that Dan seems totally back to himself here -- well, as the Dan we know, though he's still a bit out of it - deep chest wounds will do that to you. Although in a rather confused state, he's still trying to be the hero here, trying to protect Lorenda.

I think Dan may have gone on a semi-rampage (Cubi style) when he went after Regina and was still in the grip of it when he went after DP. He wasn't thinking as an experienced adventurer and didn't attack as one, thus his somewhat poor showing. He's still a baby Cubi after all -- losing oneself to emotions seems to be one of their little weaknesses (one I'm sure they can train to overcome, but I doubt Dan has any training in this yet). He had to learn this control to become a good adventurer -- so now he's going to have to relearn a few things.

Next page, I expect Kria to tell Regina that she'd better scram while Dan is distracted and make herself really scarce for a while. And DP has no doubt had better days - heh, Dan as family does seem to really push DP's buttons.  :erk 

BTW - Dan has *killed* DP three times (the last time we saw) -- Dan has *fought* DP at least 4 times before this time. The first time we saw, ending with Dan's easy defeat and DP gone out to a nice restaurant. Dan didn't thwart anything the first time - in fact, DP hadn't even gotten warmed up on his plan at that point: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_919.php  I wouldn't be surprised if Dan and DP have fought more times than that. Kria has resurrected DP *twice* before this time -- Lorenda said so:  http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_941.php  One typically does not bother to resurrect someone who isn't dead.

Titanium Dragon

I, too, enjoyed the wing-block - wings are an interesting body part for emotiveness and gesturing. And Kria always looks cool, probably my favorite character design in the comic (though I do love Abel's design as well - I guess I just like the characters who are the biggest pain for Amber to draw :P).

I also greatly enjoyed Lorenda's comforting of Dan, and Dan's response to it.

QuoteDan warning Lorenda about DP... Ok, he was either not paying attention or not very much in the cleverness department... In his defense, he has lost a lot of blood

Its less that and more "Dan thinks DP is a monster" and "Dan isn't thinking straight." Dan does see Aliph as a monster, not as a person, I think. Indeed, Dan depersonalizes a lot of creatures.

QuoteWell, how would you feel if your beloved niece was dating your most hated enemy?

Well, Dan IS hot...

Besides, its to be expected if you're an evil overlord.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: jimsan on March 22, 2009, 03:56:51 AM
I didn't see any typo in there dialouge! (and I thought I was detail oriented!)

Irony, how I love thee... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dem

I had been wondering how they were going to separate Dan and DP. Looks like that part just got skipped.

I mean, how do you separate a thing with tentacles (possibly more or less wrapped around something) from another. Now consider this thing is a cubi whose tencales may resemble very sharp objects. Also add nice fact that this cubi is very angry and doesnt listen for reason and for this same reason these possibly very sharp tentacles might be moving around quite fast.

Didn't even add possibility of Dan's reaction when someone suddenly grabs him during the fight with someone he wants to destroy. Maybe he has just taken so much hit that he didn't really put up a fight at this point.

I hope that wasnt too incoherent and is understandable...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on March 22, 2009, 07:14:07 AM
Its less that and more "Dan thinks DP is a monster" and "Dan isn't thinking straight." Dan does see Aliph as a monster, not as a person, I think. Indeed, Dan depersonalizes a lot of creatures.

That seems likely.  Evil people or no, it's probably something that happens to you if you have an adventuring career.  And it looks like Dan very much needed rescuing.  I see a few rather interesting things to come of this:

1. Dan starts to accept that he does need to learn more and is open to the idea of learning from Abel or as a part-time student at the Academy

2. Dan failed to prevent the resurrection of DP.  Is he going to tell Biggstania?  Indeed, did Dee brief the real Biggs on the fact that Dan was sent to attack DP, in case Dan reports to him instead?  Specifically I'm wondering what Dee would make of "He was resurrected by a rogue faction of the Soulstealer family, he practically killed me and I only survived because his sister thinks I'm engaged to his niece."  Will she go to finish him off?

3. While Dan put up a good fight which didn't succeed, Fi has utterly failed and failed hard.  Dan was nearly killed because it disobeyed Abel's instructions.  It seems unlikely that they'll be able to heal Dan to the point at which his injuries are invisible.  Abel is going to know, Fi is going to be in trouble.

4. I'd say Dan's going to be out of action for a few days.  A maimed, half-dead Dan turning up at Lost Lake could show us Alexsi and Abel's more caring sides, which would be interesting to see.

What is bugging me though, apart from the infuriating fact that Dan has lost yet again, is why Dan set off to tackle DP's minions without going back for his sword in the first place.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Quote from: Kenway975 on March 22, 2009, 04:16:26 AM
Quote from: terrycloth on March 22, 2009, 04:04:18 AM
It's right their in the first panel!

...and why *doesn't* Dan have a sword, anyway? Did he leave it in his shirt pocket? :B

Actually, I bet he lost because he recently underwent a class change from Adventurer to Cubi, so he's back to level 1. And worse, it's an advanced class, so it'll take like 10 times the experience to level up as the base class used to.

Maybe 100 times -- Abel was in school for 400 years.  :erk

I'm not sure if you can really call it a class change. Cubi is a race instead of a class. As for the swords... maybe he can only use his pull a sword out of nowhere when he is wearing a robe/dress? Or something else that you could hide a large blade in? As for able going to school for a couple hundred years... remember Abel's current classes are tennis and grass growing. He also mentioned he took 5 years of ventriloquism instead of seduction. With those classes than are known... what other kinds of classes did he take? Underwater basket weaving? Extreme origami making? SAIA probably has every class you can think of and a few you can't, so I'm not sure how much you can take at face value.

At the risk of adding further geeky to the forum....

It's not a class change it's a race change, in D&D stuff more powerful races (e.g half-angel) have a 'level adjustment' which means they have to earn that much more experience to go up a level in their chosen class. So the half angel mentioned above (+4 level adjustment ) would need far more experience than a human of the same class.

So Dan has gone from being adventurer to cubi adventurer (no idea what the level adjustment on that is)

p.s also yes he could be considered a being untill he cubi traits surfaced, see Hybrid genetics 2 for when this this species template is applied.

Suppressing geeky self now...

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 08:10:51 AM
3. While Dan put up a good fight which didn't succeed, Fi has utterly failed and failed hard.  Dan was nearly killed because it disobeyed Abel's instructions.  It seems unlikely that they'll be able to heal Dan to the point at which his injuries are invisible.  Abel is going to know, Fi is going to be in trouble.
I had the same thought. Fi is supposed to pull Dan out of trouble. Instead he was snacking! As for healing, Abel had his wing ripped in half by Aary and got healed with no scars.  This might require a trip to the Cubi Academy infirmary, however.  Fi might still prove useful for that.

4. I'd say Dan's going to be out of action for a few days.  A maimed, half-dead Dan turning up at Lost Lake could show us Alexsi and Abel's more caring sides, which would be interesting to see.
If he has broken ribs and cuts, yes. If he has a partially collapsed ribcage, no.

What is bugging me though, apart from the infuriating fact that Dan has lost yet again, is why Dan set off to tackle DP's minions without going back for his sword in the first place.
Maybe. . . . because Dan isn't all that smart?   :)  Actually, I'd chalk the most likely reasons to be that he thinks he's twice the badass he ever was because of his newfound Cubi abilities, plus he has Fi to rely upon for getting backup or a quick retreat.

As far as missing his sword, have we ever seen Dan actually magically conjure up a sword?  We've only seen Abel do that.  It's not clear that Dan knows how/has the training necessary yet to do so. 

On the other hand, it could be that Dan does know how to do so but either neglected to do so in his Berserker mode or needs to concentrate to do it. 

JackTheCubiWolf

Quote from: Buhamet on March 22, 2009, 04:36:57 AM
Actually, Dan not having a sword is a good point to bring up, because I swear his cast page/Alexsi's cast page says he's able to randomly summon up swords....... if he's able to, then why didn't he? Maybe he can't anymore now that he's cubi........

just a thought

Actually he should have been  able to because of the comic where Abel got swords from nowhere so logically he should be able to too.
I'm back, and tired.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Kenway975 on March 22, 2009, 05:20:53 AMDan's killed DP three times now.
Regarding this, I checked back and in Dan's fight with DP in the past, it is mentioned he thwarted him twice but slayed him once. So the other death of DP is lost to mystery.

As for Dan not looking good, that's kind of the reason he was fighting instinctively, it wasn't a subconscious decision to use his wings to break that arm, judging from the eye glow and the clan marking manifestation. If that had continued, I don't think either of them would have lived, because Dan probably would have somehow killed him and died of his injuries mere seconds after.

And yup, the marking is still there! ^_^ Faint trace in panel 1.

Kenway975

Quote from: Michael Chandra on March 22, 2009, 09:24:56 AM
Quote from: Kenway975 on March 22, 2009, 05:20:53 AMDan's killed DP three times now.
Regarding this, I checked back and in Dan's fight with DP in the past, it is mentioned he thwarted him twice but slayed him once. So the other death of DP is lost to mystery.

Thank you for finding the actual evidence to end the debate, and proving I was wrong.

Moving on then

Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on March 22, 2009, 09:20:18 AM
Quote from: Buhamet on March 22, 2009, 04:36:57 AM
Actually, Dan not having a sword is a good point to bring up, because I swear his cast page/Alexsi's cast page says he's able to randomly summon up swords....... if he's able to, then why didn't he? Maybe he can't anymore now that he's cubi........

just a thought

Actually he should have been  able to because of the comic where Able got swords from nowhere so logically he should be able to too.

One possible reason Dan did not bring out any swords is that using swords would have been a smart idea. Most smart ideas usually require one to be calm/in control of their tempers in order to come up with the idea. If you keep in mind his emotional state since Regina showed up, he has not been thinking clearly. By the time he gained mostly coherent though back, it was too late because DP was gouging Dan with his arm/claws.

Turnsky

you folks just KNOW Wildy's gonna milk this for all it's worth if/when she finds out.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 22, 2009, 09:17:14 AM
If he has broken ribs and cuts, yes. If he has a partially collapsed ribcage, no.
Is that 'no' as in "it'll take more than a few days", or 'no' as in "he's going to be running around like a puppy having had a life-threatening injury mere hours before"?

Given that they have healing magic it could be either...

QuoteMaybe. . . . because Dan isn't all that smart?   :)  Actually, I'd chalk the most likely reasons to be that he thinks he's twice the badass he ever was because of his newfound Cubi abilities, plus he has Fi to rely upon for getting backup or a quick retreat.
He is supposedly an adventurer.  Also I don't think he knows that Fi was told to watch out for him.  From his attitude to Abel before I think he'd assume it was spying on him for some nefarious 'Cubi reason.

QuoteAs far as missing his sword, have we ever seen Dan actually magically conjure up a sword?
No, we only have the word that he can do this in his profile.

Quote from: Turnsky on March 22, 2009, 09:40:49 AM
you folks just KNOW Wildy's gonna milk this for all it's worth if/when she finds out.  >:3
Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that.

Jack McSlay

This leads me to think... If he reacted like this over his niece, what would happen if it were his sister?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on March 22, 2009, 09:59:37 AM
This leads me to think... If he reacted like this over his niece, what would happen if it were his sister?

"I think I'll just get back in my grave now."

Turnsky

could be worse, Mab could've intervened, and considering how badly mauled Dan is right now... yeeeeeg.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

I've just noticed Regina in the last panel, peeping around the door to see if it's safe to come out yet.  Awesome.

Lisky

awww... tape beat me to the whole pointing out timid Regina...  personally i think she looks adorable... but maybe that's just me...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 10:19:49 AMI've just noticed Regina in the last panel, peeping around the door to see if it's safe to come out yet.  Awesome.
I noticed it too, but I didn't find it overlookable enough  that most people wouldn't. meh...

And is it just me or is Amber making a Gurren-Lagann reference with the website's title?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on March 22, 2009, 10:33:44 AM
I noticed it too, but I didn't find it overlookable enough  that most people wouldn't. meh...
Well, it was her attitude and posture that I overlooked before...

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 10:19:49 AM
I've just noticed Regina in the last panel, peeping around the door to see if it's safe to come out yet.  Awesome.
So that's what she is doing! I thought she was just standing there with her arms crossed. Hehe, those horns make her have such a big head.

And is it just me or is Amber making a Gurren-Lagann reference with the website's title?
Since I started humming that song when I saw the title today, I'd think yes.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tsunari

Well it doesn't seem like Aliph has come back less himself.

Jairus

Quote from: Pagan on March 22, 2009, 10:39:14 AM
Since I started humming that song when I saw the title today, I'd think yes.
Or quite possibly not.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me