03/22/09 [DMFA #985] - New levels of disgust

Started by Jairus, March 22, 2009, 02:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 10:35:01 AM
Quote from: Jack McSlay on March 22, 2009, 10:33:44 AM
I noticed it too, but I didn't find it overlookable enough  that most people wouldn't. meh...
Well, it was her attitude and posture that I overlooked before...

well, if she thought Dan was scary, just wait until she meets Abel..

"not touching yoooouuu..."  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Pendolse

Malakin

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 10:19:49 AM
I've just noticed Regina in the last panel, peeping around the door to see if it's safe to come out yet.  Awesome.

Looks to me as if she is just chillin, leaning against the doorway with a confused face on, possibly wondering why DP has stoped pwning Dan :/

"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

GabrielsThoughts

fortunately for Dan, Kria hasn't read Wildy's book or she would have thought Jyrras, Dan, and Lorenda were all working for the dark side...  :mwaha
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Corgatha Taldorthar

1. Amber, as impatient as we insatiable forumites are, please don't risk aggravating a hand injury. Haven't you ever read "My brother sam is dead?" ( and yes, I know, the two injuries are hardly equivalent, but let me indulge in a dram of hyperbole, please?)

2. I'm not sure why it is surprising that  Dan lost to a tough and dedicated opponent. Fighting's a dangerous and unpredictable business. There are very few people that I spar with regularly that I never beat or always beat.

3. I'm making an assumption here (Or rather a conclusion drawn from a set of assumptions that I'm too lazy to state), but a lot of the adventurer themes in the comic seem to be inspired by old JRPGs, where the heroes tend to be a bunch of teenagers who go out and do war with evil with whatever they have on hand, winning more on pluck and courage than forsight and preparedness.  I don't think it's drawn from the sort of D&D and Dragonquest that I used to play, where we would involve in frantic preperation for each outing.

4. I'm bad at juging angles like this from pictures. Can DP be holding the stump of a wrist to hold back blood?

5. It seems to me at least that Regina's expression is more surprise than fear. I think what's going through her head is "Dan is Princess Pudge's boyfriend?"
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 22, 2009, 11:19:51 AM

2. I'm not sure why it is surprising that  Dan lost to a tough and dedicated opponent.
Surprising?  Not especially, all told.  Disappointing?  Yes.  I don't know about you, but seeing the lead character get kicked around continuously even though he's supposed to be pretty good at what he does isn't something I find particularly... uplifting.

Quote4. I'm bad at juging angles like this from pictures. Can DP be holding the stump of a wrist to hold back blood?
That was my interpretation.

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 22, 2009, 09:17:14 AM
I had the same thought. Fi is supposed to pull Dan out of trouble. Instead he was snacking!

Actually, it gets worse.  Abel was making cakes while his charge gets himself practically killed.  Fa'Lina is really not going to be impressed with him.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Malakin

Naa, DP did not lose his arm or hand, he is holding his lower arm, and that continues after where he is holding it, so im guessing just a nasty gash.
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Madmann135

I like how Dan is more concerned with Lorenda's safety than his own.
It is a real evidence to his character and it appears as if he is using his cubi abilities to talk to Lorenda and 'warn' her that she is in danger.

In my opinion Dan is a true hero and friend.  Though all hero's are dead he did die, twice but fortunately was revived... well did die once but was saved by Wiley's 'shaman' power.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Bad at dealing with quote pyramids and editing, but regarding Fi's job to keep Dan out of too much trouble, one wonders. If Abel has even dealt casually with Fi, he has to realize that the Warp Aci is somewhat less than reliable. Presumably, Abel didin't think that anything Dan could do would get him into enough trouble to warrant permanant bodyguard status.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Arroyo Milori

I is amused with DP's reaction. >:3

Now I'm curious on what Regina's reaction to the whole "Dan is Lorenda's "Boyfriend"" ordeal.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 22, 2009, 11:40:13 AM
It appears as if he is using his cubi abilities to talk to Lorenda and 'warn' her that she is in danger.

No, I think it's just indicating that he can't breathe properly.

Dem

Now that the subject has been brought up. Is it possible?

Cubi can hear thoughts, but can they also send back thoughts aka telepathy (spelling?) ?

demecowen

Quote from: Tapewolf
2. Dan failed to prevent the resurrection of DP.  Is he going to tell Biggstania?  Indeed, did Dee brief the real Biggs on the fact that Dan was sent to attack DP, in case Dan reports to him instead?  Specifically I'm wondering what Dee would make of "He was resurrected by a rogue faction of the Soulstealer family, he practically killed me and I only survived because his sister thinks I'm engaged to his niece."  Will she go to finish him off?

Dee can't go anywhere, She hiding in Twinks because of the dragons; if words get out that she kill DP her husband is very screw.

QuoteWhat is bugging me though, apart from the infuriating fact that Dan has lost yet again, is why Dan set off to tackle DP's minions without going back for his sword in the first place.

If you just saw the little slut that killed your friends and got hit by a tray by that same little slut, and then saw DP again, would you be able to think well enough to summon a sword and fight with level head or lash out in Full Rage?

Quote from: Tsunari on March 22, 2009, 10:41:22 AM
Well it doesn't seem like Aliph has come back less himself.

Well it probably something only a sister would notice :mowtongue:

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 11:36:48 AM

2. I'm not sure why it is surprising that  Dan lost to a tough and dedicated opponent.
Surprising?  Not especially, all told.  Disappointing?  Yes.  I don't know about you, but seeing the lead character get kicked around continuously even though he's supposed to be pretty good at what he does isn't something I find particularly... uplifting.

It is law by East and West comics that the lead action hero always get kicked around no matter how good is. I have yet to see one hero have a winning streak. Besides Dan had some handicaps, he was too angry think and he has not master he cubi powers yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: demecowen on March 22, 2009, 11:49:11 AM
Dee can't go anywhere, She hiding in Twinks because of the dragons; if words get out that she kill DP her husband is very screw.

Dee is a shapeshifter.  She doesn't have to appear as herself if she goes to kill someone.  Also, she's liable to be able to teleport - just because she appears somewhere and kills someone doesn't mean you have any idea where she went afterwards, let alone where she came from.  It'd be like a UFO sighting.

QuoteIf you just saw the little slut that killed your friends and got hit by a tray by that same little slut, and then saw DP again, would you be able to think well enough to summon a sword and fight with level head or lash out in Full Rage?

That happened afterwards.  I'm wondering about before he even set foot in the house.

Draken

It is law by East and West comics that the lead action hero always get kicked around no matter how good is. I have yet to see one hero have a winning streak. Besides Dan had some handicaps, he was too angry think and he has not master he cubi powers yet.

There is an unfortunate reason for that....

If a character, especially the lead character, goes on an all out winning streak that lasts for a good while, fandom in general tend to call that char a "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" on the sheer basis that they are NOT supposed to win that much (It's a stupid thing, but it happens).   As such, most authors are conditioned to keep their main chars "down" as to make them look more human, despite the fact that we LIKE to win a lot.....it's an odd fandom wave thing....

For a good example, look at the Inheritance Cycle.  The main character seems to win nearly every fight or challenge that he comes across, and as such is (rightfully) called one big Gary Stu because of it....

(I know this does not seem to justify  Dan's constant, or near constant, loss, but hey, it's why there are no tryue perpetual winners in writing or webcomics.   (as far as I know.  Even Sherlock lost big from time to time))
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Mao

Another thing to consider, is that it's not always such a black and white thing as winning and losing.  There's been a constant theme in this comic of things not being quite what they seem.  I've yet to see a character that I can truly call a stereotype or a single arc that I can consider predictable.

So rather than just look at it in terms of black and white, why don't you try to color your view of it a bit?

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 09:44:32 AM
Quote from: jeffh4 on March 22, 2009, 09:17:14 AM
If he has broken ribs and cuts, yes. If he has a partially collapsed ribcage, no.
Is that 'no' as in "it'll take more than a few days", or 'no' as in "he's going to be running around like a puppy having had a life-threatening injury mere hours before"?
'No' as in a collapsed ribcage requires professionaly medical attention, not just the cold compresses and hot chicken soup available at the Inn.

QuoteAs far as missing his sword, have we ever seen Dan actually magically conjure up a sword?
No, we only have the word that he can do this in his profile.
Is this the wiki profile? Because that isn't in his Cast page.

Tapewolf

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 22, 2009, 12:56:36 PM
'No' as in a collapsed ribcage requires professionaly medical attention, not just the cold compresses and hot chicken soup available at the Inn.
Well, the Inn has three highly capable spellcasters.  Abel alone has spent 375 years essentially learning survivalism.  Blood phobia or no, not learning healing spells in favour of lawn care would just be silly.  Either way, I was thinking more about when he returns to the Inn after his condition was no longer critical.

Is this the wiki profile? Because that isn't in his Cast page.
Actually it's in Alexsi's profile.  "Alexsi's ability to draw her mallet from out of nowhere is similar to Dan's swords."

demecowen

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 11:53:31 AM

Dee is a shapeshifter.  She doesn't have to appear as herself if she goes to kill someone.  Also, she's liable to be able to teleport - just because she appears somewhere and kills someone doesn't mean you have any idea where she went afterwards, let alone where she came from.  It'd be like a UFO sighting.

1. If that the case why she need to hide in the first place? She can just disguise herself and visit her family and friends whenever.

My theory is that the dragons can sense her even if she change forms. If she can teleport,  the dragons could have method of tracking said warp path to it origins.
Maybe the Twinks area has a way cloaking her from the dragons even if she leave by teleport they'll know.

2. Even if she can not be detected, there is no way it going to be easy,  Dee will not just :mowninja DP in just a few seconds and then leave.
It will be ugly, bloody, and long the fight will attract others and they might see a weaken cubi ripe for the taking.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 11:53:31 AM
If you just saw the little slut that killed your friends and got hit by a tray by that same little slut, and then saw DP again, would you be able to think well enough to summon a sword and fight with level head or lash out in Full Rage?

That happened afterwards.  I'm wondering about before he even set foot in the house.

The last time Dan fought DP Dan enter DP castle without his sword in hand even seeing the dragon and only pull it out after he was sure that was going to fight DP. If questing taught me anything you can't always carry a sword in hand 24/7. My guess he always had a sword in his clothing somewhere, but dealing with Kira and then seeing Regina made him forget that.

mopman

I love the expressions of all the characters , even the small shot of Regina with the deer in headlights look , I hope you did not strain your hand too much creating this for us Amber , but thank you.  :mowsmile
" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

bradley535

So... Ummmm... Anyone notice that now Dan has a wierd speech bubble? Everybody jumped on DPs, but no one seems to catch the sparkly bits coming off Dan's.

Achronycal

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2009, 11:36:48 AM

I think it's worth noting we saw Dan kicked around back when he was a newb adventurer in his flashback. He has defeated Dark Pegasus a number of times, but the last time Dan attempted it during the kingdom of H-Ann events, he nearly got himself killed and was barely brought back from the brink.

Kria has mentioned each revival of Dark Pegasus has made Dark Pegasus a little more and more unlike himself, and it unsettled her enough to accept money to keep from bringing her beloved brother back. I see this less as Dan not being up to snuff and more evidence pointing toward how dangerous a figure Dark Pegasus is and increasingly becomes. It seems as though Dan is one of the few who has ever been able to stand up to him, and even with that, it's been a struggle.

Tapewolf

Quote from: demecowen on March 22, 2009, 01:35:14 PM
1. If that the case why she need to hide in the first place? She can just disguise herself and visit her family and friends whenever.

I'm not really sure.  She didn't hide from Alexsi, though.  Only Dan.  And even he saw her in plain sight around strip 70 (if that's still canon).  I'm wondering whether she's staying where she is because it's central to her plan.  Either that or the dragons are simply too powerful for her (which is not unlikely).

Quote2. Even if she can not be detected, there is no way it going to be easy,  Dee will not just :mowninja DP in just a few seconds and then leave.
She's had 7000 years to practice - that's almost 10 times DP's lifetime.  The average 'Cubi lifespan seems to be 3000, so I'd say she knows what she's doing.

Quote from: bradley535 on March 22, 2009, 01:44:14 PM
So... Ummmm... Anyone notice that now Dan has a wierd speech bubble? Everybody jumped on DPs, but no one seems to catch the sparkly bits coming off Dan's.
Several people.  I think it's because he can't breathe properly.

icarus

1. Amber, as impatient as we insatiable forumites are, please don't risk aggravating a hand injury. Haven't you ever read "My brother sam is dead?" ( and yes, I know, the two injuries are hardly equivalent, but let me indulge in a dram of hyperbole, please?

just as an interesting tidbit- comicking becomes a habit for the artist as much as it is a habit for the reader to read. you'll remember just about any time amber misses an update she's all like BARLJALFKFFFFF about it and tries to get back on track ASAP? this is the sign of an artist ...who has become addicted to comicking.

a truely addicted artist will do things like try to draw when sick, or injured. because it's not just a matter of getting the comic up on time for fans (though that's an aspect) it's also a matter of the comic must go on no matter what. the comic didn't go up? you wind up losing sleep, feeling your entire schedual get flipflopped around.

it's like if you got out of bed in the morning, but for some reason, didn't brush your teeth. it'd be driving you NUTS all day.

this comes from not just personal experience, but also talking to a slew of other comic makers. :B

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Shachza

Kria, how do you stay so awesome all the damned time?

I personally think that DP is going to go down for good this time.  IIRC Pip doesn't take kindly to other people using his punching bag. (Dan)

Quoteit's like if you got out of bed in the morning, but for some reason, didn't brush your teeth. it'd be driving you NUTS all day

That's why I brush at night.
            <-- #1 that is!

Tapewolf

Quote from: icarus on March 22, 2009, 02:24:00 PM
because it's not just a matter of getting the comic up on time for fans (though that's an aspect) it's also a matter of the comic must go on no matter what. the comic didn't go up? you wind up losing sleep, feeling your entire schedual get flipflopped around.

this comes from not just personal experience, but also talking to a slew of other comic makers. :B

Check, check and check.  So that's why I feel so irritable today!

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Turnsky on March 22, 2009, 09:40:49 AM
you folks just KNOW Wildy's gonna milk this for all it's worth if/when she finds out.  >:3
Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that.
...Huh?

Tezkat

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 22, 2009, 08:23:07 AM
It's not a class change it's a race change, in D&D stuff more powerful races (e.g half-angel) have a 'level adjustment' which means they have to earn that much more experience to go up a level in their chosen class. So the half angel mentioned above (+4 level adjustment ) would need far more experience than a human of the same class.

So Dan has gone from being adventurer to cubi adventurer (no idea what the level adjustment on that is)

Amber has used race and class interchangeably both in the comic and on the forums, which is reasonable considering that most Creatures rely primarily on their natural and magical abilities. Likewise, non-civilian Beings are basically all Adventurers or some variation thereof. Those with strong magical abilities are either imports from non-DMFA settings or have Creature ancestors.

For those still geeking out trying to conflate DMFA and D&D... if we were to use 4e rather than 3e style mechanics (where powers ~= class), it may make more sense to abstract each race as a class of its own (with a more flexible multiclass mechanic to account for half-breeds and cross training).

Quote from: Draken on March 22, 2009, 12:05:30 PM
There is an unfortunate reason for that....

If a character, especially the lead character, goes on an all out winning streak that lasts for a good while, fandom in general tend to call that char a "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" on the sheer basis that they are NOT supposed to win that much (It's a stupid thing, but it happens).   As such, most authors are conditioned to keep their main chars "down" as to make them look more human, despite the fact that we LIKE to win a lot.....it's an odd fandom wave thing....

It's not just a Gary Stu thing. When the heroes always win, there's no dramatic tension, which makes for rather uninteresting stories. Protagonists must be challenged to make a conflict interesting, and that frequently means "losing" a few battles before they win the war. It's a formula in fiction that predates the vocal "fandom" by centuries.

Also... some of us like rooting for the villains. >:]

Quote from: Dem on March 22, 2009, 11:47:56 AM
Now that the subject has been brought up. Is it possible?

Cubi can hear thoughts, but can they also send back thoughts aka telepathy (spelling?) ?

There's no canon evidence for such ability as of yet (unless that's actually what Dan is doing right now, which I doubt). Cubi do however have the ability to project their thoughts into other people's dreams, so other forms of telepathic transmission may be possible with training.

Quote from: Shachza on March 22, 2009, 02:24:34 PM
I personally think that DP is going to go down for good this time.  IIRC Pip doesn't take kindly to other people using his punching bag. (Dan)

But... but... how can you kill him now? He's family! :animesweat
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on March 22, 2009, 03:09:01 PM
It's not just a Gary Stu thing. When the heroes always win, there's no dramatic tension, which makes for rather uninteresting stories. Protagonists must be challenged to make a conflict interesting, and that frequently means "losing" a few battles before they win the war. It's a formula in fiction that predates the vocal "fandom" by centuries.

I don't think anyone here is seriously rooting for Dan to win every single encounter.  What I'm saying is that there should be more of a mix...

Tezkat

A lot of Dan's adventuring "victories" have resulted from... shall we say... factors other than combat prowess (e.g. the ice-orcs, the first encounter with DP, that time he got the bangles...). The times we have seen him go all out in battle with a stronger Creature, he practically got himself killed, which could be expected given the power differential.

Traditionally, this is a prelude to a "must get stronger" training sequence. :3
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...