is it me or is VG cats getting more violent

Started by GabrielsThoughts, January 10, 2009, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/

I mean seriously WTF? even Jack is tamer than the last few updates...
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Amber Williams

VGCats still updates?

People still read VGCats?

Wow. Learn something new everyday.

Roureem Egas

Hasn't it been a bit of a dead baby comedy anyway?

Aisha deCabre

I read a lot of webcomics; probably not as much as many people here, but I still read quite a few that are also familiar with others.  Once I tried going through the VG Cats archive...and no comic ever had strips so bad as to make me just stop reading through the archives, until this one.  Honestly. ><

Quote from: Roureem Egas on January 10, 2009, 03:04:03 PM
Hasn't it been a bit of a dead baby comedy anyway?

...That's comedy?  :B
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Reese Tora

eh, it may be the most nightmare fuelish comic to date, but it's by no means the goriest (most realistic blood splaters on the show there, but that's compared to over the top gore)

I think the problem might be that this one doesn't cross the line twice like the others do.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

TheDXM

Darkmoon

I dug that comic.

VGCats is an odd beast. There's more than a few comics in its archive that are very meh... But then one comic comes along that is pure brilliance.

It's for similar reasons that I read CAD still. Sadly, CAD is less and less often in the brilliance zone.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

GabrielsThoughts

teh evil snowmen are a dime a dozen. Plus, I now realize how much VG cats is no longer funny nor original.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Jigsaw Forte

Nightmare Fuel, possibly. But it's all offscreen violence so far as I can tell.

Sunblink

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on January 10, 2009, 09:12:41 PM
teh evil snowmen are a dime a dozen.

That's probably part of the joke.

I like VG Cats. :< I think Darkmoon summarized my thoughts well  but I think there are a lot more genuinely funny comics than he described. But my sense of humor is really, really weird.

Angel

I concur with Keaton. VG Cats has had several comics that made me unable to breathe for a minute out of their sheer hilarity, even if it doesn't update that often. This one was well-drawn, I'll give it that, but it was a lot darker than some comics, and didn't really make me laugh. But he's drawn other stuff that was almost darker.

EDIT: Well, as long as we're posting favorites instead of the dark stuff...

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=72
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=74
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=110
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=115

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

llearch n'n'daCorna

This one, for example, tickles my funny bone, but could be argued to be extremely dark.

NSFW, mind. So very NSFW.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

I gotta agree with darkmoon.  Except about CAD.

Here's a recent one that's not violent and has sort of started a meme. (oh yeah, little NSFW language)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Kipiru

Meh, VG cats has it's moments, but as far as violence- it seems to be an intergal part of it's funny, so I can't really say that it's getting any more violent, just less funny maybe!

Ryudo Lee

This one is informative... Replace "snow" with "rain" and you have the story of traffic in New Orleans.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Alondro

The Winnie the Pooh being dissected for science made me laugh so hard I started bleeding.  It was awesome.  But then, I'm an evil scientist who dissects things on a regular basis.   >:3

And the Bankai with the rat flail was full on awesome... as is anything with "Bleach".  Yesh.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Sunblink

Quote from: Alondro on January 11, 2009, 08:23:52 PM
The Winnie the Pooh being dissected for science made me laugh so hard I started bleeding.  It was awesome. 

...HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

Alondro, please explain to the class how you laughed so hard you bled.

Turnsky

I think Scott's gone even further off the deep end.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Alondro

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 12, 2009, 09:02:11 PM
Quote from: Alondro on January 11, 2009, 08:23:52 PM
The Winnie the Pooh being dissected for science made me laugh so hard I started bleeding.  It was awesome. 

...HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

The air in the lab is extremely dry.  My sinuses dry out frequently, and if there is too much pressure put on the damaged mucous membranes, internally or externally, they crack and bleed.

Laughing too hard caused a split! 

:tmyk
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 12, 2009, 09:02:11 PM

...And now we know, I wish there was a way I could un-know it...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Sunblink

Quote from: Alondro on January 13, 2009, 08:32:58 AM
The air in the lab is extremely dry.  My sinuses dry out frequently, and if there is too much pressure put on the damaged mucous membranes, internally or externally, they crack and bleed.

Laughing too hard caused a split! 

:tmyk

...wow. Very wow. Although that's kind of what happens here, in Florida, sometimes (basically if there's a drought).

You know, actually, that sounds very similar to what happened to me. :U Wanna hear a silly story?

Here you go:

Once upon a time, I was sitting at my computer, drinking a Burger King slushie. It was very good. At one point I left it there, on the desk, and turned away with my chair to check something. And when I spun back - guess where the straw jabbed. Right up my nose. I was bleeding pretty profusely yet for some reason I was perfectly calm when I phoned my mother to tell her that a wayward straw had brutally injured my nose.

It was hella embarrassing though.

Amber Williams

Its amazing how calm one can be depending on certain injuries. I remember the time I ended up with a hatchet in my knee. Luckily it was just the tip and the patella did a pretty good block. But oh man the blood!  I was able to hobble over to my parents relatively calm. My mom...was not quite as calm. :U

Its like some injuries just trigger the "ok. not the time to panic. Not the time to feel as much pain. Time to get the situation taken care of ASAP."

Lisky

haha, sound's like the time i dislocated my shoulder playing a game a football with the neighbors...
My arm was dangling, and looked horrible... i didn't really notice for a good 5 to 10 minutes that i couldn't actually move my arm...my hand was clenched into a fist, and the bone was a good 4 inches below where it should have been, slightly protruding through the tricep (not through the skin, but there was a nasty bulge in the side of my arm)...greatest call home ever "hey mom, what's the insurance number, i kinda left the card back at the house..."

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Sofox

I still remember the time I stabbed myself through a carton of ice cream.

It was one of those tubs and the ice cream was hard at the bottom so for a crazy reason I decided to use a knife instead of a spoon to get it out. Holding it at the bottom with my left hand and trying to pry at the ice cream with a knife using my right, suddenly the knife went right through and sliced through the side of my left middle finger. It got five stitches. I still remember when I was trying to stop the bleeding with tissue paper at the sink. Some paper plugged up the sink and as I was in pain and cradling my damaged appendage, my brother gave out to me telling me to unblock it. After all, he certainly wasn't going to put his hand into water diluted with my blood.

Jairus

I've never had anything like that involving blood and the like, but I do have problems with my ankles (sprained one of them two years ago, and it never fully healed: I'm actually going to get physical therapy for it to try and fix that). And every time I roll it, I just get onto my good foot, and make my way to a place where I can sit down until I can move again. Don't waste any energy crying or anything like that, just get somewhere that you can rest it for a few minutes. Not as dramatic as blood or anything (which is one of my problems: other people's blood makes me a little woozy, mine, not so much), but just one of those moments.

I also remember one time looking into my rear view mirror right before someone rear-ended me while I was sitting at a stoplight. The last memory I have before the car slammed into mine was taking my foot off of the break: I somewhat recall thinking that the impact wouldn't be as bad if my car could move with the impact rather than just be an immobile object. Considering that I got pushed out into the middle of the intersection, that was probably a smart move. So, kinda that same strange logic that lets you keep your cool in a problem.

On topic, I enjoy VG Cats. The "fluff and blood" one cracked me up, mainly because I could clearly hear the voices of Pooh and Piglet saying their lines...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Angel

I used to be kind of a crybaby whenever I got hurt, but now, not so much. While I was at school, I got a bad infection, and didn't find out till math class, when I could barely walk because I was in pain. I didn't freak out or call home; I just went to the campus doctor, they gave me medicine, and I was fine. But when I came home that weekend and told Mom, she was shocked for some reason. I think she's so used to babying me and my brothers when we're sick that it builds up when she doesn't get to do it. :P

The weirdest injury I ever got, though... when I was about nine, I was chasing my little brother around my room and Mom was watching us. I had a sharpened pencil in one hand, and well... you know how they always say not to run with sharp stuff? They're right. I stabbed myself in the chest. There's a little blue graphite-mark there to this day.

As for VG Cats, the "fluff and blood" one bothered my inner child a bit. Which is weird because I cracked up at the Captain Planet one and the Ninja Turtles one.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Jairus

Quote from: Black_angel on January 13, 2009, 01:48:01 PM
The weirdest injury I ever got, though... when I was about nine, I was chasing my little brother around my room and Mom was watching us. I had a sharpened pencil in one hand, and well... you know how they always say not to run with sharp stuff? They're right. I stabbed myself in the chest. There's a little blue graphite-mark there to this day.
You to? I've got a similar mark on my right arm from when I was in... fifth grade? No, sixth. Except in that case, I wasn't running, I tripped and bumped into someone and stabbed myself.

As for Captain Planet and the Ninja Turtles... I loved those comics, because I really did not like those shows.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me