4/7/07 Abel's Story #80: Awwwkwaaard.

Started by Mashi, April 07, 2007, 01:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

Quote from: kaskar on April 09, 2007, 03:30:47 AM

How long till the next Abel's story update ?

either saturday, or when Amber decides, whichever comes first, i guess.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

kaskar

You have made a basic flaw in amber logic . Sickness can come up, so the day 'saturday' can be an unknown day or night in the future. Like 'when will this be done?' reply 'soon' it is an unknown time in the future ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Turnsky

Quote from: kaskar on April 09, 2007, 07:51:18 AM

You have made a basic flaw in amber logic . Sickness can come up, so the day 'saturday' can be an unknown day or night in the future. Like 'when will this be done?' reply 'soon' it is an unknown time in the future ...

you missed out on my latter point.. "or when Amber decides"

kaskar

So the lights have turned to Amber ...

Turnsky

Quote from: kaskar on April 09, 2007, 08:15:27 AM

So the lights have turned to Amber ...

"when amber decides" might be an unknown time in the future, determined by how amber feels, whether she is sick or not or even if her -server- works, therefore, "when amber decides" is a rather flexible thing..

not to mention that DMFA and abel's story are Amber's comics, too.. So it'd be really up to her whether or not it updates, no?

i make no guesses on the inner workings of Amber's mind, you shouldn't either.

as for "amber Logic" i don't know amber, so what's logical to you, may not be logical to her.. or whatever, my head wants to fall off my neck right now.. so i'll leave it at that before this thread becomes derailed by our inane ramblings, i have no wish to incur the wrath of the powers that be.

superluser

Quote from: Turnsky on April 09, 2007, 08:30:58 AMso i'll leave it at that before this thread becomes derailed by our inane ramblings, i have no wish to incur the wrath of the powers that be.

Yuh.  This is the most boring flamewar I've ever seen.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

GreenReaper

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on April 07, 2007, 06:55:54 PMso the DMFA universe works more like a Creatures game where when a norn breed with an ettin it has the body data of a Norn and looks like an ettin?

Eew. That makes me feel weird just thinking about doing it with an ettin. :p

Besides, you know they'd just get distracted by an interesting gadget half-way through . . .

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

I'm currently editing strips 71-75 for the Radio Project and something just dawned on me that I don't believe has been mentioned yet.

The concensus seems to be that Cid is going to get help to dispatch Abel because he thinks that 'Abel' is really an incubus who's murdered his son and taken his form.
There are two things which make that awkward.  It might be that Cid isn't acting rationally of course, but there are two points which suggest that Abel isn't capable of true shapeshifting.

Firstly, the headwings.  We've covered that.  The other one is deeper - the Creature-To-Being charm.
If the terrified feline in the corner is an adult incubus who is clever enough at shapeshifting to assume the guise of Abel (and his voice too) - why the hell does he need a charm to get rid of his backwings?

It's possible that this is how May is going to talk him down, of course, since she knows about the charm and Cid hasn't seen it yet.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 09, 2007, 06:03:22 PMThe concensus seems to be that Cid is going to get help to dispatch Abel because he thinks that 'Abel' is really an incubus who's murdered his son and taken his form.

I think he's probably going off to get someone to take care of the incubus, though maybe not by killing--unless his friend is indeed Kria.  So not consensus from me.

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 09, 2007, 06:03:22 PMIf the terrified feline in the corner is an adult incubus who is clever enough at shapeshifting to assume the guise of Abel (and his voice too) - why the hell does he need a charm to get rid of his backwings?

Alas, this may be a Catch-22.  If Abel changes forms with a charm, it means that he is a creature, and since they don't think that Abel's a creature, it must be an impostor, regardless of whether there is a charm.

Aridas

But apparently beings don't have wings...

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 10, 2007, 12:48:39 AMBut apparently beings don't have wings...

I'm missing your point.  If your point were that beings don't in fact have wings, I just have to point you to Merlitz, Felorin, Sunny, Hollyann, Alikya, among others.  If that were sarcastic, I should reiterate that it's a creature-to-being morphing amulet.  Meaning that if you gave it to Merlitz, nothing would happen to his wings.

Silverfoxr

merl wings are magic created anyways so it wouldnt effect em

all comes down to gentics again one parent could be a winged species - angel, cubi etc the other a normal - result a winged being - justcause they have wings doesnt mean they can fly - dans a good example - if the offspring takes after the being they wont have wings - if after the other they properly well - so its common for beings to have wings doesnt mean there all different species - remeber dmfa orginally started on furcadia and on there wings were only for decoration - you couldnt fly - orginally you had to buy wings if you wanted them

seriously people chill out a bit - you take the speculations a bit to far sometimes - which leads to flame wars - all well be realived in time - mab well update when shes feeling up to it - i know how it feels to be sick -

i think i be stalking mab to much again (hides in her shadow again)

superluser

Quote from: Silverfoxr on April 10, 2007, 01:57:57 AMmerl wings are magic created anyways so it wouldnt effect em

Which is actually the reason why I chose him for the example.  His wings are infused with magic, which is similar to creatures, who have a strong affinity toward magic.  Just because they're magical doesn't make them susceptible to creature-to-being morphing.

I think.  Not that I have any inside information.

Quote from: Silverfoxr on April 10, 2007, 01:57:57 AMall comes down to gentics again one parent could be a winged species - angel, cubi etc the other a normal - result a winged being - justcause they have wings doesnt mean they can fly - dans a good example - if the offspring takes after the being they wont have wings - if after the other they properly well - so its common for beings to have wings doesnt mean there all different species - remeber dmfa orginally started on furcadia and on there wings were only for decoration - you couldnt fly - orginally you had to buy wings if you wanted them

What she said.  Also, were headwings on Furcadia?  I had always assumed not, but since they were so integral to the Aaryanna design (and not knowing if Aary were ever on Furcadia, and never having been, myself), I'm curious.

Aridas

If it's a creature to being amulet, why would it bother removing the wings if wings on a being were so possible? The problem is, I think just about all of the characters you're talking about real peoples' characters anyway... Not counting Alikya, who is SUPPOSED to have wings. or at least, that's how I think it goes.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 10, 2007, 02:59:12 AM
If it's a creature to being amulet, why would it bother removing the wings if wings on a being were so possible? The problem is, I think just about all of the characters you're talking about real peoples' characters anyway... Not counting Alikya, who is SUPPOSED to have wings. or at least, that's how I think it goes.

Becasue wings stick out?

Seriously, a creature to being amulet(as we're calling it, I don't think that's exactly what it is) is meant to allow the creature using it to blend seamlessly, or nearly so, with being society.  The majority of beings do not have wings.  While it is a potential characteristic, as is hypomelanosis(albinism) in humans and other creatures.  while it's a natural configuration, it's not exactly low profile, which, in my mind, defeats the purpose of the amulet.

Now, before uyou say "but, Reese, what about Hennya's eyes? they didn't change!" I do have an answer for that.  In many fantasy settings, the eyes are the one thing that cannot be changed of a person.  Thier eyes will always have the same characteristics, which makes it difficult for one with odd eyes to hide thier nature, even with transformation.  There's also the possibility thatn the closest being match for Hennya's race of creature naturally has eyes that look like that.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Aridas

Quote from: Reese Tora on April 10, 2007, 03:14:50 AM(as we're calling it, I don't think that's exactly what it is).
We're not calling it that, the character in the comic is calling it that.

Reese Tora

I don't think they know exactly what it is either.  They know about as much about the amulet as we do, except we all know that it belonged to Kria first, and what she was doing while wearing it.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Amber Williams

Quote from: Silverfoxr on April 10, 2007, 01:57:57 AM
seriously people chill out a bit - you take the speculations a bit to far sometimes - which leads to flame wars - all well be realived in time - mab well update when shes feeling up to it - i know how it feels to be sick -

I wouldn't worry too much.  The Abel's Story comic will always update on Saturday (unless something goes REALLY wrong), so I'm not sure why kaskar seems to be asking that.  Then again kaskar seems to have a tendency to ask really way-off questions or speculations so eh.

kaskar

You appeared ! May be you could enlighten us ?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: kaskar on April 10, 2007, 08:25:08 AM

... about what?

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 10, 2007, 11:25:24 AM

... about what?

perhaps we can wrap amber in christmas lights and she can enlighten us that way?

Reaver225

Quote from: superluser on April 07, 2007, 11:31:48 PM
Quote from: Stygian on April 07, 2007, 06:40:02 PM
Quote from: Reaver225 on April 07, 2007, 06:13:08 PMIt's possible that Cid doesn't know that Cubi can hide their headwings...
At last someone thinks of that one... :rolleyes

I do believe I preemptively addressed that:

Quote from: superluser on March 27, 2007, 10:19:23 AMAnd that at the very least, unlike the clan marking, they must be able to hide the headwings, or else any adventurers that claimed not to know that they were dealing with an impostor would be rather incredible.

It's a bit late to address this, but remember at this point Cubi still aren't very well known - Henya, a fellow Creature only knew them out of books. There may not BE very many adventures left around after 'cubi attacks to say anything but 'they had headwings!!!111"

Silverfoxr

headwings were never on furcadia - the cubi are mabs own ideas - dragons and phoenixs and there were also those who roleplayed as demons - again wings where only for decoration or the gentics are at work - and theres also the mythos which is also original - just cause a creature or being or cubi has wings doesnt mean they know how to fly - they properly just look cool :D

Turnsky

Quote from: Silverfoxr on April 10, 2007, 01:22:35 PM
headwings were never on furcadia - the cubi are mabs own ideas - dragons and phoenixs and there were also those who roleplayed as demons - again wings where only for decoration or the gentics are at work - and theres also the mythos which is also original - just cause a creature or being or cubi has wings doesnt mean they know how to fly - they properly just look cool :D

not to mention in this day and age you need two things: a Pilot's license and clearance to be in that airspace *nods*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Either that or be weaselly wecognised by passing jet engines....

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 10, 2007, 01:59:45 PM

and this week on "will it blend?"......

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on April 10, 2007, 02:04:15 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 10, 2007, 01:59:45 PM
and this week on "will it blend?"......

Don't make me have to link to the sounds of falling meat again.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Eh? Considering your statement has just left me in the dark...

superluser