4/7/07 Abel's Story #80: Awwwkwaaard.

Started by Mashi, April 07, 2007, 01:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akisohida

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 07, 2007, 08:04:10 PM
Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:47:12 PM
...Where do you get that Devins dad was a cubi? I could be forgetting something but Devin never appeared to be a cubi and there is no info for (or against) the theory that Devins dad was a cubi. o.o

The theory goes like this:

Incubus marries Devin's mother.  They have several children but none of them are 'cubi.  They kill them (which unhinges her).  They have one last try.  Devin is born, he sees there are no wings and gives it up as a bad job. (Ospreys will do this - although they nominally mate for life, a pairing that produces no eggs will not last long.)

Then, probably in the guise of Cid, he seduces May - and possibly leaves forever/is killed by Cid.  Alternatively he may reappear to claim Abel.

Ahhh, ok. Still odd but possible.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 08:07:58 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 07, 2007, 08:04:10 PMIncubus marries Devin's mother.  They have several children but none of them are 'cubi.  They kill them (which unhinges her).  They have one last try.  Devin is born, he sees there are no wings and gives it up as a bad job. (Ospreys will do this - although they nominally mate for life, a pairing that produces no eggs will not last long.)

Then, probably in the guise of Cid, he seduces May - and possibly leaves forever/is killed by Cid.  Alternatively he may reappear to claim Abel.

Ahhh, ok. Still odd but possible.

My main rationale for this was that there is no POINT to include Devin's Story within Abel's except either to gain sympathy for a character we're otherwise supposed to hate (and have no reason to really like except for after this fact), or it contains some snippet of pertinent information. Since I see no other reason for Amber to waste three pages giving us useless background information on a side character who gets quickly killed afterwards,  I consider this to be that information.

Remember, people, Amber's been going out of her way to complain about the length of the story. She's probably already pared out anything that could be seen as useless (or at least limited it to plot-pertinent/oneshot info), if for no better reason than "I want to finish this as quickly as I can." If she saw fit to go on about something for several pages . . . it HAS to be important somehow.

Alondro

*Charline hmms*  We now need an avatar with Cid saying "Kill the Cubi!" and the sad Abel face "DON'T kill the cubi!"   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

GabrielsThoughts

there is also the possibility the Cubi was a close/childhood friend of Cid and that is how he was able to fool May...or Cid is the cubi or any number of possibilities could hold the answer.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 07, 2007, 06:09:43 PM
Quote from: superluser on April 07, 2007, 01:38:11 PMEgg-zactly.  After all, Merlitz's old party had no trouble picking up that Dan had been transformed, but showed no indication of sensing Abel.
... of course, they -were- slightly distracted (he's totally hittin' that kitten.) ...

No, they weren't.  They saw Abelitz before they saw Danlexsi, and it was convincing enough to make Genesis4 jealous.  They seem to have no clue that that wasn't Merlitz.

Quote from: Stygian on April 07, 2007, 06:40:02 PM
Quote from: Reaver225 on April 07, 2007, 06:13:08 PMIt's possible that Cid doesn't know that Cubi can hide their headwings...
At last someone thinks of that one... :rolleyes

I do believe I preemptively addressed that:

Quote from: superluser on March 27, 2007, 10:19:23 AMAnd that at the very least, unlike the clan marking, they must be able to hide the headwings, or else any adventurers that claimed not to know that they were dealing with an impostor would be rather incredible.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

kaskar

Everyone seems to get into the muddle of who married who, or what happened when . What about if the head mistriss in was correct in her assumtion in the old town before, and Abel is the result of a one night stand ?
8) Just Hanging Around ...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: kaskar on April 08, 2007, 12:47:12 AM

Everyone seems to get into the muddle of who married who, or what happened when . What about if the head mistriss in was correct in her assumtion in the old town before, and Abel is the result of a one night stand ?

I don't know if anyone else has forgotten about the "Abel's Heritage Theories" thread, but I know I haven't. I still contend that the theory of an "Incubus tricking May" is the one that makes the MOST sense.

kaskar

Whoever said Abel wasn't the result of a lonely May, having a one night stand with what seemed a being , but was , unknowingly to May, an Incubus ? It would explain why May seems to have kept her mouth shut too .

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on April 07, 2007, 11:31:48 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 07, 2007, 06:09:43 PM
... of course, they -were- slightly distracted (he's totally hittin' that kitten.) ...

No, they weren't.  They saw Abelitz before they saw Danlexsi, and it was convincing enough to make Genesis4 jealous.  They seem to have no clue that that wasn't Merlitz.

Shush, you're ruining the joke :-]

More seriously - yes, I'm aware it wasn't Merbel who they noticed, and yes, that does seem to indicate that the Cubi transformation isn't something that Adventurers seem to notice, generally speaking, but they also had Merbel smacking Nitemyst in the face - pretty much what they expected, so taking some of the heat off of the warning.

I'd suggest that the "morphing magic warning" is area-general, rather than person-specific, but Gen's comments in 711 seem to refute that, so... Erm, yeah.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

kaskar

By the way, where did Abel learn his  " sucker punch " ? ( remember he went to college and showed up with his mark )

Illusionist

I like to think Xander and Devin used to beat him up.

kaskar

So what happens now after Cid has spilled the beans ? Is there violence , a standoff, or what ?  Also, when does Abel come out of shock, and say some thing properly ?

kaskar

I still like the look on Cid's face, when he comes in and says, ' May, Ill be right back ...' A classic line usually left for drama's , etc   ... Real mood setter ...

Goatmon

Quote from: Alondro on April 07, 2007, 09:25:52 PM
*Charline hmms*  We now need an avatar with Cid saying "Kill the Cubi!" and the sad Abel face "DON'T kill the cubi!"   :3

Oh, I dunno.... he certainly seems to be handling it pretty well.  I mean, If I just learned that one and only son turned out to be something I used to kill for a living, I'd probably want a little air, myself. 

Magic

Quote from: Stygian on April 07, 2007, 07:58:11 PM
..Where do you get that Devins dad was a cubi? I could be forgetting something but Devin never appeared to be a cubi and there is no info for (or against) the theory that Devins dad was a cubi. o.o

I think you just answered yourself right there, li'l spider... [smirks at him]

"Look, there's no conclusive evidence on the issue at hand. Therefore, you should accept my conclusion on this issue."

Tsk. Argument based on ignorance is fallacious.

Quote from: kaskar on April 08, 2007, 04:27:32 AM

Whoever said Abel wasn't the result of a lonely May, having a one night stand with what seemed a being , but was , unknowingly to May, an Incubus ? It would explain why May seems to have kept her mouth shut too .

Possible, not entirely plausible. May looks faithful to Cid, and it would be difficult to argue because of May's reactions to Abel and Cid..

Quote from: Illusionist on April 08, 2007, 05:37:09 AM
I like to think Xander and Devin used to beat him up.

It's not as much violence as persecution; related, but different.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Turnsky

well, reading back, this gives an inkling of things..
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_29.php

so who knows..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Aridas

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 08, 2007, 01:12:00 PMI thought Abel never knew Xander.

Oh, sure he did.  We saw him meet Xander for the first time when Abel was returning from Cindy's funeral.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Ink on April 08, 2007, 09:53:42 AM
Quote from: kaskar on April 08, 2007, 04:27:32 AM

Possible, not entirely plausible. May looks faithful to Cid, and it would be difficult to argue because of May's reactions to Abel and Cid..

And May reaction to the rumours in her old town... May's Wraith

PBH

superluser

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on April 08, 2007, 05:00:58 PMAnd May reaction to the rumours in her old town... May's Wraith

Do you mean wraith (as in, May's doppelganger) or wrath (the wrath of Achilles)?  The former would be fun to debate.  As to the latter, ``The lady doth protest too much, methinks.''

Kenji

Zedd

SpottedKitty

Quote from: kaskar on April 08, 2007, 05:34:58 AM

By the way, where did Abel learn his  " sucker punch " ?
Dan's mother, I suspect. Destania told Alexsi (in the kidnapping arc, #713) Abel had been a pupil of hers, and Dan's "<splat-against-wall> You fight like my mom..." a few strips later (#734) pretty much convinced me Destania taught Abel how to fight.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

superluser

Quote from: SpottedKitty on April 08, 2007, 06:56:21 PMDan's mother, I suspect. Destania told Alexsi (in the kidnapping arc, #713) Abel had been a pupil of hers, and Dan's "<splat-against-wall> You fight like my mom..." a few strips later (#734) pretty much convinced me Destania taught Abel how to fight.

Given Destania's snatch manœuvre, I wouldn't be surprised.

Stygian

Quote from: Ink on April 08, 2007, 09:53:42 AM
Quote from: Stygian on April 07, 2007, 07:58:11 PM
..Where do you get that Devins dad was a cubi? I could be forgetting something but Devin never appeared to be a cubi and there is no info for (or against) the theory that Devins dad was a cubi. o.o

I think you just answered yourself right there, li'l spider... [smirks at him]

"Look, there's no conclusive evidence on the issue at hand. Therefore, you should accept my conclusion on this issue."

Tsk. Argument based on ignorance is fallacious.

I was not argumenting. I was simply pointing out that it was unneccesary to say what he said if he was going to counterargument himself. His initial argument seemed to be against the speculation that Devin's dad might have been an incubus, which possibly might have been the same one who possibly impregnated May with Abel, something we know nothing about. To then proceed to say that there is no info supporting or contradicting this theory... Is like saying "Hey! I think you're surely wrong about this whole thing, because you could be wrong, or... you could be right!"

kaskar

It could be that Cid is a Cubi Adventurer. Cubi , in public, usually hide their wings in public . May usually wouldn't comment much about this so you only see what Amber has drawn ...

LoneHowler

I agree with kaskar and the eye patch is a "Patch" which he is about to remove to show his own wings 
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Aridas

Quote from: LoneHowler on April 09, 2007, 01:58:51 AM
I agree with kaskar and the eye patch is a "Patch" which he is about to remove to show his own wings 

:shapeshifters

Turnsky

and there's plenty of evidence to the contrary to cid being a 'cubi..

still, who knows, the only answers lurk deep within amber's skull, and i'm not willing to open THAT pandora's box..  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

kaskar

How long till the next Abel's story update ?