4/7/07 Abel's Story #80: Awwwkwaaard.

Started by Mashi, April 07, 2007, 01:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on April 07, 2007, 08:03:49 AM
What I'm thinking is that Cid probably doesn't believe that's Abel. He may think it's an incubus posing as him.

So he's going to leave him alone with May and Abel's friend?  >:3

One point we still don't know is to what extent 'Cubi have a reputation for getting in other people's beds.  It wasn't something Hennya brought up, but it might be something that Cid knows.
This is a trait of classical 'Cubi and it might be why Amber sprung for them rather than creating her own race.  We do know that they don't do the gender-swap thing, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

kaskar

Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:33:59 AM
I just noticed something. May has blue eyes. Cid has brown eyes..But Abel has a blue eye and a GREEN eye. More evidence that Abel is not truely Cids son? o.o

This is not the case in genetics . Even if both parents have brown eyes , it can be a gene carried over from an aunt, uncle,
grandparent, etc ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Gabi

Genes don't get carried from aunts and uncles, but the gene for brown eyes is dominant, which means Cid may have a gene for another color too, but his eyes are brown because he also has a brown gene.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

kaskar

I meant that along the family tree, characteristics can appear out of the blue . ( he he) How do we even know that the cubi line isn't recurring back from genes past ? A marriage like Dan's may have occured in the long past, and awaits till now to arise ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Gabi on April 07, 2007, 08:03:49 AM
What I'm thinking is that Cid probably doesn't believe that's Abel. He may think it's an incubus posing as him. That has a flaw, of course. If that were the case, I don't see why the impostor would have kept the head-wings. But Cid may not have thought of that, or he may have thought of a possible reason.

Cid might think Abel isn't Abel...but Cid is more supisous of May.  He is looking at May, to find out how much She knows.  Did she know Abel was an Incubus? Was she know Abel's father wasn't him or not?

PBH

Alondro

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 07, 2007, 02:59:44 AM
Initially I had Cid's hand put more over his face in sort of a head-hold position...but I was afraid it would come across to people like he was about to pull his eye-patch off or something. So I opted for the temple-headache point.

AND STILL I FAIL. :U

*Charline pat-pats*  Poor Amber, don't blame yourself if some of your readers are morons not yet completely comprehensionally competent. 

And yes, I suspect Abel shall indeed go on a rampage and kill his family... though not consciously.  His wing tentacles will go beserk while he can but watch in horror!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 07, 2007, 02:59:44 AMInitially I had Cid's hand put more over his face in sort of a head-hold position...but I was afraid it would come across to people like he was about to pull his eye-patch off or something. So I opted for the temple-headache point.

May I point out that when I originally wrote the message immediately preceding this one, I had written ``(while pointing to himself)'' but I didn't remember him pointing to anything, so I checked back and realized that the pose was more of a ``nervously touching his ear'' pose, and I changed what I said to ``(while referring to himself)''

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 07, 2007, 03:18:27 AM... I wouldn't write that one off just yet, the way he was talking, and how, at the beginning, he said "I'll be right back" or something like that makes me think he was heading for wherever he keeps his swords

Except that that's not the most plausible way to deal with the situation.  More likely would be the following:

``Hey, May!  The friend I ran into wants to see you, too.  C'mon.  Let's go see her.''

Gets both Cid and May out of the clutches of the evil incubus.  Hennya is a creature, so she can probably hold her own against an incubus--plus Cid probably doesn't care that much about her, unlike his wife.

And yes, the headwings make it obvious to any onlookers that it's implausible that that's an incubus actually trying to impersonate something.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Mirr

Quote from: Turnsky on April 07, 2007, 07:52:21 AM
Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:45:03 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on April 07, 2007, 07:38:04 AM
Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:33:59 AM
I just noticed something. May has blue eyes. Cid has brown eyes..But Abel has a blue eye and a GREEN eye. More evidence that Abel is not truely Cids son? o.o

not too sure.. even though the odd-eye thing is not honestly a thing inherent to inhabitants of furrae, but usually there's some genetics shared among eye color...

Yeah. I am not referring to the fact that Abel has two different-colored eyes, just that they don't match both parents. :)

oh i know, they usually match either one of the parents, believe me.  :3
see?

That looks like... Chimerism!

Ooh wait! Maybe Abel is a chimera (because look at his eyes) and only half of his cells have the cubi gene! *gets thwacked on head*

Narethlian

Things are rapidly going from bad to worse.

-Nar

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mirr on April 07, 2007, 11:16:43 AM

Ooh wait! Maybe Abel is a chimera (because look at his eyes) and only half of his cells have the cubi gene! *gets thwacked on head*

Heh. It looks more like sectoral heterochromia to me. Which is not what Abel has, I might add - his looks more like simple heterochromia. Although there are likely to be more details that we don't know - simple is fairly rare, according to wikipedia, and involves no other problems. Since we don't -know- of any other problems, or that they're not resolved simply through him being a Cubi, we're left to guess...

oh, and welcome to the forum, Mirr. We've been waiting for you. :-]

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Mirr on April 07, 2007, 11:16:43 AMThat looks like... Chimerism!

Or... heterochromia.  I know Australian Shepherds often have it. (quit ninja'ing me)

Also (and I'm busy, or else I'd do it) but someone really should make an animated GIF of Cid screaming ``THIS...IS...AN...INCUBUS'' and then kicking Abel into a shaft.

Mirr

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 07, 2007, 11:32:23 AM
Quote from: Mirr on April 07, 2007, 11:16:43 AM

Heh. It looks more like sectoral heterochromia to me. Which is not what Abel has, I might add - his looks more like simple heterochromia. Although there are likely to be more details that we don't know - simple is fairly rare, according to wikipedia, and involves no other problems. Since we don't -know- of any other problems, or that they're not resolved simply through him being a Cubi, we're left to guess...

oh, and welcome to the forum, Mirr. We've been waiting for you. :-]

Waiting for me? *eye-twitch*

But yeah, heterochromia seems more likely. I just thought of chimerism first because I was just talking about it with someone.

Alan Garou

Anyone else notice May's oddly panicked smile? In my eyes, that smile reeks of "my plan is crashing down around me." Methinks that the confusion was just a charade, and May actually IS the cubi parent.  :shifty

Illusionist

Quote from: superluser on April 07, 2007, 11:34:40 AM
Quote from: Mirr on April 07, 2007, 11:16:43 AMThat looks like... Chimerism!

Or... heterochromia.  I know Australian Shepherds often have it. (quit ninja'ing me)

Also (and I'm busy, or else I'd do it) but someone really should make an animated GIF of Cid screaming ``THIS...IS...AN...INCUBUS'' and then kicking Abel into a shaft.

That would be the most win thing ever.

Zedd

Quote from: Alan Garou on April 07, 2007, 12:25:23 PM
Anyone else notice May's oddly panicked smile? In my eyes, that smile reeks of "my plan is crashing down around me." Methinks that the confusion was just a charade, and May actually IS the cubi parent.  :shifty

That or she was trying to hide the fact their son has headwings cookie for brains :P

GabrielsThoughts

Cid knows he's incubus, although somebody should have started an 82 thread by now.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Aridas

Well, since I'd like to stir things up... Cid already confirmed that if this particular incubus were transformed, he'd have sensed it... Which means more likely than not, he knows it's Abel.

Valynth

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 07, 2007, 01:29:08 PM
Well, since I'd like to stir things up... Cid already confirmed that if this particular incubus were transformed, he'd have sensed it... Which means more likely than not, he knows it's Abel.

Actually he said he could detect illusions, but cubi shapeshifting, I think, is another thing entirely.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on April 07, 2007, 01:34:36 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 07, 2007, 01:29:08 PMWell, since I'd like to stir things up... Cid already confirmed that if this particular incubus were transformed, he'd have sensed it... Which means more likely than not, he knows it's Abel.
Actually he said he could detect illusions, but cubi shapeshifting, I think, is another thing entirely.

Egg-zactly.  After all, Merlitz's old party had no trouble picking up that Dan had been transformed, but showed no indication of sensing Abel.

Turnsky

Quote from: Zedd on April 07, 2007, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: Alan Garou on April 07, 2007, 12:25:23 PM

That or she was trying to hide the fact their son has headwings cookie for brains :P

or it's just a grimace 'cuz may knows things mightn't turn out "sunshine and cookies" as it were..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Reese Tora

Quote from: Gabi on April 07, 2007, 08:58:15 AM
Genes don't get carried from aunts and uncles, but the gene for brown eyes is dominant, which means Cid may have a gene for another color too, but his eyes are brown because he also has a brown gene.
That depends on where you live... :B
QuoteYou know you're a redneck when your family tree has no branches.

I don't think that we should expect the genetics of Amber's furrae to mirror those of real life.  For one thing, what is dominant in human genetics will not necessarily be dominant in the genetics of, say Furrae felines.

Then, to, dragging RL genetics into it anyway, brown eyes depends on having atleast one B. (out of BB Bb bB and bb) If Cid himself has Bb(2/3 chance) and May has bb(obviously the case, if RL genetics played in, since May has blue eyes), then there is only a 50/50 chance of passing on Brown eyes to Abel.  If Cit and May each had recesive genes for green, then that could account for Abel possessing a green eye.  Of course, eye color is not so simple as a single pair of switches.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Amber Williams

Quote from: Reese Tora on April 07, 2007, 02:48:41 PM
I don't think that we should expect the genetics of Amber's furrae to mirror those of real life.  For one thing, what is dominant in human genetics will not necessarily be dominant in the genetics of, say Furrae felines.

You would be correct in that.   I've jokingly said it once before, but it does hold a grain of truth, that brown eyes are actually the most uncommon and rare of eye-colours in Furrae.

GabrielsThoughts

so the DMFA universe works more like a Creatures game where when a norn breed with an ettin it has the body data of a Norn and looks like an ettin?

( haven't played it in years, but I have the first creatures game)
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on April 07, 2007, 01:38:11 PM
Quote from: Valynth on April 07, 2007, 01:34:36 PM

Egg-zactly.  After all, Merlitz's old party had no trouble picking up that Dan had been transformed, but showed no indication of sensing Abel.

... of course, they -were- slightly distracted (he's totally hittin' that kitten.) ...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Reaver225

It's possible that Cid doesn't know that Cubi can hide their headwings... after all if one has only read about cubi in books and 'has headwings' is an identifying feature, it's very possible that he doesn't KNOW a 'cubi can and would hide their headwings if trying to impersonate someone.

Stygian

Quote from: Reaver225 on April 07, 2007, 06:13:08 PM
It's possible that Cid doesn't know that Cubi can hide their headwings... after all if one has only read about cubi in books and 'has headwings' is an identifying feature, it's very possible that he doesn't KNOW a 'cubi can and would hide their headwings if trying to impersonate someone.

At last someone thinks of that one... :rolleyes

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 07, 2007, 03:23:39 PM
so the DMFA universe works more like a Creatures game where when a norn breed with an ettin it has the body data of a Norn and looks like an ettin?

In the interest of nerd supremacy, Ettins were only in Creatures 2.

(Edit: God I can't believe I logged on just to say that.)

I'm leaning back towards "Devin's Dad macked on May", thankyouverymuch.

Akisohida

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on April 07, 2007, 06:55:54 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 07, 2007, 03:23:39 PM

In the interest of nerd supremacy, Ettins were only in Creatures 2.

(Edit: God I can't believe I logged on just to say that.)

I'm leaning back towards "Devin's Dad macked on May", thankyouverymuch.

..Where do you get that Devins dad was a cubi? I could be forgetting something but Devin never appeared to be a cubi and there is no info for (or against) the theory that Devins dad was a cubi. o.o
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Stygian

Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:47:12 PM
..Where do you get that Devins dad was a cubi? I could be forgetting something but Devin never appeared to be a cubi and there is no info for (or against) the theory that Devins dad was a cubi. o.o

I think you just answered yourself right there, li'l spider... [smirks at him]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:47:12 PM
...Where do you get that Devins dad was a cubi? I could be forgetting something but Devin never appeared to be a cubi and there is no info for (or against) the theory that Devins dad was a cubi. o.o

The theory goes like this:

Incubus marries Devin's mother.  They have several children but none of them are 'cubi.  They kill them (which unhinges her).  They have one last try.  Devin is born, he sees there are no wings and gives it up as a bad job. (Ospreys will do this - although they nominally mate for life, a pairing that produces no eggs will not last long.)

Then, probably in the guise of Cid, he seduces May - and possibly leaves forever/is killed by Cid.  Alternatively he may reappear to claim Abel.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E