Chapters for download?

Started by Aurawyn, March 26, 2007, 08:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurawyn

llearch n'n'daCorna

*cough*

Erm. If there's anything we can do to increase the likelyhood of the cd existing, just ask... :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RobbieThe1st

Well, that plan just went down the drain... If anyone needs technical help with anything, I'm here to help.

-Robbie

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

GabrielsThoughts

you forget that if she makes the CD you'll have to pay for it.

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 12, 2007, 04:30:06 PM
you forget that if she makes the CD you'll have to pay for it.
Mmph?  Did anyone really expect a free CD?  :B

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Certainly not me. Anyone else living in dreamland?

GabrielsThoughts

I should really use the quote system more often....

Quote from: RushFox on April 08, 2007, 05:55:03 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on April 03, 2007, 01:40:07 PM
Honestly?

I had considered making a special anniversarry cd for DMFA with all the comics(well, all the ones to a particular point) as well as commentary for each strip and some bonus content.   But truthfully, from what you guys have planned if you go through with it, it probably will shoot down any desire for me to do so because I'm lazy enough as is.

So really it's your call. I wont throw a tizzy if you want to mass-file archs, but on the flipside it gives me an excuse not to go out of my way and provide content I see as obsolete. :U

No, that's fine. DO THE CD.

I don't think you're lazyDO THE CD.

You're probably best person to do this anywayDO THE CD.

I mean that would be a good way to really give this "obsolete" content the treatment it truly deservesPLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE DO THE CD.

:U

I was thinking if the files were available for upload from the site it would be free, like it is now ; but if it was on CD/DVD then the price would jump up to 15 dollars or something.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

RushFox

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 12, 2007, 08:44:53 PM

Honestly?

I had considered making a special anniversarry cd for DMFA with all the comics(well, all the ones to a particular point) as well as commentary for each strip and some bonus content.   But truthfully, from what you guys have planned if you go through with it, it probably will shoot down any desire for me to do so because I'm lazy enough as is.

So really it's your call. I wont throw a tizzy if you want to mass-file archs, but on the flipside it gives me an excuse not to go out of my way and provide content I see as obsolete. :U

I mean that would be a good way to really give this "obsolete" content the treatment it truly deservesPLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE DO THE CD.

I was thinking if the files were available for upload from the site it would be free, like it is now ; but if it was on CD/DVD then the price would jump up to 15 dollars or something.

Well, I wouldn't mind, since all of this "bonus content" is probably worth a commission price in itself simply for the extra work that Amber has to do to provide the content. In that sense, I wouldn't mind paying for the CD/DVD, and there IS a demand for said content.

Heck, we could go so far as expand this to other merchandising fields as well (T-Shirts or Abel Plushies, anyone?) but I doubt that Mrs. Williams wants to take it that far (unless she outsourced the production duties to "dutiful" fans, of course. I'm looking at you, Mr. Hopkins...)

I still want the damn CD though...  :U

Faerie Alex

I'd wear such a t-shirt.

The problem with plushies would be: How do you make them. Most of us (as far as I know) don't have industrial-grade plushie production machines.

Regarding the CD: :goamber
Jeez I need to update this thing.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: RushFox on April 12, 2007, 10:28:54 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 12, 2007, 08:44:53 PM

Honestly?

Well, I wouldn't mind, since all of this "bonus content" is probably worth a commission price in itself simply for the extra work that Amber has to do to provide the content. In that sense, I wouldn't mind paying for the CD/DVD, and there IS a demand for said content.

Heck, we could go so far as expand this to other merchandising fields as well (T-Shirts or Abel Plushies, anyone?) but I doubt that Mrs. Williams wants to take it that far (unless she outsourced the production duties to "dutiful" fans, of course. I'm looking at you, Mr. Hopkins...)

I still want the damn CD though...  :U
Well, i would think it would be easiest for amber if she just uploaded the files(in 50 meg zip sections I would think), and maby we could setup a mirror of it so it doesn't cost amber bandwidth(I have access to a very good host, plenty of space and bandwidth on a good server). If she actually went to the trouble of making actual cds and mailing em, i would think it would just be a pain... lots to mail, not a huge amount to be made, and just alot of trouble for what its worth. Plus, you would have to worry about someone ripping it and Torrenting it(look at CAD videos... some of my friends talked about dling them via torrent free, instead of paying the $2 each). It might be simpler just to get money for it via the same system that the Abel back-story was done with, and then perhaps selling cd copy's in addition to downloads, but then you wouldn't get into the whole problem of people getting it illegitimately  and everything...

e_voyager

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 12, 2007, 08:37:37 PM
Certainly not me. Anyone else living in dreamland?

i am(or am i just passing through?) but then again even Aol stopped giving away free cd's
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Amber Williams

If/when I do make a special edition DMFA cd, I likely will have some sort of charge on it.  Not necessarily because I intend to be rolling in the blings...but more because I don't want to spend a bunch of money buying cds/making labels(and shiny cases to put them in)/mailing them out properly so they dont get cracked or crushed/etc.   Honestly making a profit wasnt really a high priority since I figure most people who buy them are just wanting to have a nice solid and pretty collection on hand.  That or they want to read the commentary I'd be adding under each strip that probably will contain oodles and noodles of spoilers and other interesting tidbits.

So far I had planned was the strips themselves with commentary.  Probably some of the waaay original prototype DMFA strips back before I officially started.  Some longwinded text info.  A few bonus images. The wallpapers from downloads.  Special bonus screensaver I need to work on...*cough*. Some other various interesting things.  Maybe even a tutorial or two.  Possibly if I have the gumption I might put a song or two on it. 

Anyways, to the former thing you guys are talking about. If you all really desire to get together and put together comics in batches, its your call. It just seems kind of...wierd to me.  Or to me implies that my site is somewhat faulty if its causing people to need to view comics in another format.  I dunno.

Either way, be seeing ya.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's not the site, it's the lack of ability to view the site whilst sitting on the train 130ft underground. :-]

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 13, 2007, 02:33:57 AM
If/when I do make a special edition DMFA cd, I likely will have some sort of charge on it.  Not necessarily because I intend to be rolling in the blings...but more because I don't want to spend a bunch of money buying cds/making labels(and shiny cases to put them in)/mailing them out properly so they dont get cracked or crushed/etc.   Honestly making a profit wasnt really a high priority since I figure most people who buy them are just wanting to have a nice solid and pretty collection on hand.  That or they want to read the commentary I'd be adding under each strip that probably will contain oodles and noodles of spoilers and other interesting tidbits.

So far I had planned was the strips themselves with commentary.  Probably some of the waaay original prototype DMFA strips back before I officially started.  Some longwinded text info.  A few bonus images. The wallpapers from downloads.  Special bonus screensaver I need to work on...*cough*. Some other various interesting things.  Maybe even a tutorial or two.  Possibly if I have the gumption I might put a song or two on it. 

Anyways, to the former thing you guys are talking about. If you all really desire to get together and put together comics in batches, its your call. It just seems kind of...wierd to me.  Or to me implies that my site is somewhat faulty if its causing people to need to view comics in another format.  I dunno.

Either way, be seeing ya.
Well, its more that we like having an archive on disk that we can just look through, and while sure, we can do it on the internet, its costly in bandwidth for you, for us, and its also slow. Most of us dont have unlimited T1 lines, and cant afford to just keep re-downloading all the images any time we want to view em. For this reason, I personally have created an entire set of comic archivers for all the comics I watch, so I have my own backup of them all, for both reading, and in case the site goes down(we all know that the web is prone to change, either because someone forgot to pay the bill, it was taken down for alleged copywrite violation, or somehow it simply got lost).

On the CD issue, none of us would ever hope for, or want you to make, and mail free CD's to us - that would be just plain wrong. The only thing that some of us would like, would be a download version of the CD, even if we have to pay a couple dollars for it, because perhaps we cant easily get mail, or maby we cant stand waiting two weeks for it to be delivered. Also, some of us readers are in foreign country's and the shipping costs could be  expensive, and take ages. For those of us, it would be much easier just to spend a couple days downloading a couple hundred megabytes of the files(probly in sections of an ISO CD image), which we could then burn ourselves, or use a CD emulator to view it directly(note that you will end up making an ISO of it as you burn the CD, thats what your CD burning program compiles the files into anyway). 

-RobbieThe1st

llearch n'n'daCorna

Robbie, I think you underestimate the bandwidth constraints on people outside the USA.

Barring much of the EU, "unlimited" accounts are much harder to come by - particularly those with international bandwidth. If you take NZ, or Australia, just as an example, most home connections there are limited to a gig or so of international bandwidth per month. Downloading an entire cd over that blows your ability to browse most websites in one go.

Besides, having it downloadable defeats the purpose of "additional content"...

.. all this is speculation, anyway. *shrug* Until Amber gets clear of other commitments, there's no real point speculating about a cd that doesn't even exist other than theoretically yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 13, 2007, 08:09:55 AM
Barring much of the EU, "unlimited" accounts are much harder to come by - particularly those with international bandwidth. If you take NZ, or Australia, just as an example, most home connections there are limited to a gig or so of international bandwidth per month. Downloading an entire cd over that blows your ability to browse most websites in one go.

There are also a few people in the forum still stuck on dialup.  I'm not (anymore) but there are a few people who are.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 13, 2007, 08:17:40 AM

There are also a few people in the forum still stuck on dialup.  I'm not (anymore) but there are a few people who are.

I'm one of them so I have a 56k modem that blows so what it's slow like molassis so what.... and what are talking about TW? :B

RobbieThe1st

Robbie, I think you underestimate the bandwidth constraints on people outside the USA.

Besides, having it downloadable defeats the purpose of "additional content"...

.. all this is speculation, anyway. *shrug* Until Amber gets clear of other commitments, there's no real point speculating about a cd that doesn't even exist other than theoretically yet.
However, for those people it would be easier for them to buy the actual CD. Plus, who says it would defeat the purpose of being additional content. Amber might charge a bit of money for the download, and also, if we needed to get a downloadable copy to Australia, all we would need is one person there with a good connection who could then just resend it to whoever needed it. With me, I am on satellite internet, and for me, 600 megs isn't something to laugh at(it would take 4 days of bandwidth to get), yet it would be much easier to download than to have to actually get an actual CD shipped to me(near impossible).

Another consideration some people might wonder about, is that a download wouldn't be as easily controllable as a CD, as anyone could copy and resend it. While this may be true, its the exact same thing with an actual CD: its horribly easy to simply rip a CD(or even a DVD with the latest copy protection) and stick it in a torrent, even with copy protection(look on torrent sites for the latest versions of microsoft vista, or whatever. That has alot of copy protection, yet its cracked and put up there). Either way, you are relying on peoples trust not to copy it, which i think is good. We are a trustworthy community of comic fans, and as such generally can be trusted not to copy it if we are not supposed to. 

All things considered, I would personally like this CD to be released as both an actual CD for perhaps $15, and a download for a few dollars less.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 13, 2007, 08:17:40 AM

I was till just a few days ago.. is why I asked about downloads.. hehe..