Terry Pratchett- any fans?

Started by Kipiru, March 14, 2015, 04:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipiru

Sadly, my favourite author- Terry Pratchett died and that hit me a bit harder than I expected. I loved his work, especially the Discworld novels. I adore the ones about the City Watch. Samuel Vimes is the embodiment of badass for me. I know there are probably some of you who are also fans of Pratchett's work, so share if you would, your favourite books, quotes or thought from them.

Tapewolf

Yeah, I was rather saddened to hear of his death.  I never really got into the Discworld series somehow, it just didn't click for me.  I did like 'Good Omens' rather a lot, and enjoyed 'Strata'.  I was also rather fond of the Nomes trilogy.

"Do you know the meaning of the word 'destroyed'?   That is what is going to happen to The Store."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

thegayhare

I'm a huge fan myself

I even made a Death of Rats costume

I love all of discworld, strata, nomes and even his early childrens books like the carpet people... the long earth  not so much...

I knew he planned to die with dignity  and I saw in the documentery about it he could no longer write and instead dictated all of snuff.   Im hopping when he passed on Death was waiting for him "DID YOU FINISH THE BOOK?   BINKY IS A HUGE FAN."  I know he had created the final discworld novel and was writting the in betweens.   

Atleast he went well, in bed with his cat surrounded by family

VAE

Quote from: Kipiru on March 14, 2015, 04:57:22 AM
   Sadly, my favourite author- Terry Pratchett died and that hit me a bit harder than I expected. I loved his work, especially the Discworld novels. I adore the ones about the City Watch. Samuel Vimes is the embodiment of badass for me. I know there are probably some of you who are also fans of Pratchett's work, so share if you would, your favourite books, quotes or thought from them.

Bast, this. Most of the novels I have read were City Watch related, the exception being Pyramids and Equal Rites.
And, my favourite quote probably remains

THERE IS NO MORE TIME, NOT EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

(Night Watch and Fifth Elephant are my favourite books. For a more meaningful favourite quotes, the one from the latter about society needing its shepherds and its butchers comes close.)

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Dishonored

Terry Pratchett was a great writer, quite possibly the funniest I've ever read. I enjoyed all of his works, including the not-likely-to-be-finished Long Earth series.

He will be missed by many, and equaled by none. R.I.P.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

He's my current favorite author. Obviously the Discworld series was what got me into his books. Read every single one of them that were released.

The best of the series was definitely the City Watch, as observed by others. Death was a very close second (Mort being the best of that set). Of the single volume stand-alones, I'd vote for Small Gods. I've re-read that book more than any of the others.

Outside of Discworld, I'm also a huge fan of the Long Earth series. I really dig alternate reality series, and this one really explores the possibilities of multiple Earths better than any series I've seen.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Darkmoon on March 18, 2015, 12:51:16 PM
Of the single volume stand-alones, I'd vote for Small Gods. I've re-read that book more than any of the others.

Oh yes, I did like that one.  It was very readable, even if you'd given up after the first two books :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

I love his work too. It was really sad to see him go.

Nice one, llearch.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly