10/16/2010 [PF #140] - Nanoforge BSOD

Started by ChaosMageX, October 16, 2010, 11:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

I wonder if M-Corp is a vague reference to Microsoft.

I wonder if any of the operating systems stated in this comic (M-Corp OS, OpenVMS, Freax) are vague references or parodies of real world operating systems.

I'm not familiar with very many operating systems outside of Windows, Apple, and Unix/Linux.  I know there's one called Solaris.

Or does the nanoforge run on more a microprocessor operating system, such as something along the lines of a smartphone operating system, such as iOS or Android.  Then again, Android is also built on Linux, which is built on Unix.

Also, I just love Ashley's expression in the fourth panel.  It definitely personifies the anger we've all felt at our computers at one point or another, and those wing tentacles would be great for some unique forms of percussive maintenance. ;)

Icon by Sunblink

Madmann135

I am just impressed that Dorcan has taken to being an android and is working with, repairing and trouble shooting something as high teck as a nano-forge.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Madmann135 on October 17, 2010, 12:47:57 AM
I am just impressed that Dorcan has taken to being an android and is working with, repairing and trouble shooting something as high teck as a nano-forge.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too.  From my vague recollection of FH, I know that Dorcan eventually chooses to pursue a degree in electrical engineering, but I could have sworn there was a scene parodying The Terminator before that happened.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on October 17, 2010, 12:47:57 AM

Think of it as on-the-job training.

Quote from: ChaosMageX on October 16, 2010, 11:43:07 PM
I wonder if any of the operating systems stated in this comic (M-Corp OS, OpenVMS, Freax) are vague references or parodies of real world operating systems.

One's a parody, one's a vague reference.  Google should help...

QuoteAlso, I just love Ashley's expression in the fourth panel.  It definitely personifies the anger we've all felt at our computers at one point or another, and those wing tentacles would be great for some unique forms of percussive maintenance. ;)
Notice that the keyboard is gone in the later panel...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LionHeart

I'd have thought that Jakob would have rolled his own custom version of Linux to handle it.

Or contracted someone to do it for him.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Tapewolf

Incidentally, for those wondering what the Forge is, the upcoming chapter will deal with that.

I'm tempted to post some hints about the OS names, but I'll give that a couple of days first since I'm sure someone in the readership knows about at least one of them.

I will say that the guess about M-Corp is correct.

RobbieThe1st

Took me a few seconds, but I laughed at that. And yes, so very true - You don't run a M-corp OS on -anything- important. Especially not real-time high end industrial equipment.

Its references like this that keep me reading your comic. :P

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

ChaosMageX

Okay, since I was right about M-Corp being a parody/reference of Microsoft, here's my first guess for the other two:

OpenVMS = OpenVMS (since Tapewolf loves VAX if I recall correctly)

Freax = Linux

Here is my second guess if either of the two above are incorrect:

OpenVMS = OpenBSD (Open Berkeley Software Distribution)

Freax = Minix

Icon by Sunblink

hapless

QuoteVeni, vidi, $cmkrnli, rebooti.
And yes, Freax was Linus's original name for what later become Linux.

PS. The "Open" part of OpenVMS is silent in speech. ;)
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on October 17, 2010, 11:44:21 AM
PS. The "Open" part of OpenVMS is silent in speech. ;)

Someone needs to tell my Dad that...

EDIT:
I couldn't think of a way of obfuscating (Open)VMS.  I was tempted to use FreeVMS instead, though.  Maybe I should have.

Gabi

Solaris is UNIX too.

Anyway, I assume VMS is a parody of BSD, but does the acronym have an actual meaning?

It was funny, the way Ashley freaked out. Especially because I've felt that way more than a few times.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

VAE

Quote from: Gabi on October 17, 2010, 01:33:21 PM
Solaris is UNIX too.

Anyway, I assume VMS is a parody of BSD,
but does the acronym have an actual meaning?

It was funny, the way Ashley freaked out. Especially because I've felt that way more than a few times.
:erk
http://www.vms.org.uk/
VMS is a competitor to Unix and Unix based systems made by DEC in the glorious ages past.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Meany

Aww, Ashley is so cute when he's murderous.  :3

Who could this mysterious person standing behind Jakob be?  :U  The Grim Reaper?  Colonel Sanders?  Barbara Streisand?  Curse you cliffhangers!  Curse you! >:O

joshofspam

Well I find it surprising that are new android is finding that book so intriguing.

Must be much better then the cover sudjests. I was thinking it would be along the lines of the Disney's version of the three little pigs with a title like that.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Meany on October 17, 2010, 01:51:30 PM
Who could this mysterious person standing behind Jakob be?  :U  The Grim Reaper?  Colonel Sanders?  Barbara Streisand?  Curse you cliffhangers!  Curse you! >:O

Someone Dorcan doesn't recognise, but is presumably allowed to be within the base since security would likely have found them otherwise.

joshofspam

Would it be possible to load a skill set with an android body, or even learn faster than normal?

It has me wondering if Dorcan will become an expert in the system then even Jacob gives him credit for.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on October 18, 2010, 12:00:33 PM
Would it be possible to load a skill set with an android body, or even learn faster than normal?

It has me wondering if Dorcan will become an expert in the system then even Jacob gives him credit for.

To a degree.  Josh, for instance, always knows what the time is and has vastly improved mental arithmetic.  Dorcan has an improved sense of balance.  As a rule motor skills are easiest to add, but Jayhawk tends to draw the line at adding new understanding or false memories, as they're a bit too easy to abuse.
A memory card which suddenly makes Dorcan know everything someone else has learned about electronics is not really the way they're heading, though they could make it easier for him to learn.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2010, 12:12:45 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on October 18, 2010, 12:00:33 PM

To a degree.  Josh, for instance, always knows what the time is and has vastly improved mental arithmetic.  Dorcan has an improved sense of balance.  As a rule motor skills are easiest to add, but Jayhawk tends to draw the line at adding new understanding or false memories, as they're a bit too easy to abuse.
A memory card which suddenly makes Dorcan know everything someone else has learned about electronics is not really the way they're heading, though they could make it easier for him to learn.

Such a shame, as adding new understanding or memories to an android's mind sounds like a great plot device.

You could have someone adapt Jacob's technology to be able to give (and even take away) understanding, memories, and skill sets from androids, and start an underground business from that technology, a la the TV series Dollhouse.

Seriously Tapewolf, if you are still under such a heavy writer's block, I'd strongly suggest watching that show for inspiration if it ever makes it overseas.

Icon by Sunblink

Turnsky

and i doubt Jacob wants to use an AI (especially those made by personality mapping) for his major machinery... they tend to wreak havoc after a fashion  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

joshofspam

Probably would be easier to play games in your head while you sleep.

Wait do android bodies have a sleep/dream option?

I wonder if Dorchan could fix the problem if he hacked it like Johnny Mnemonic hacked his own brain?

Tapewolf

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: joshofspam on October 21, 2010, 02:40:12 PM
I wonder if Dorchan could fix the problem if he hacked it like Johnny Mnemonic hacked his own brain?

Depends. Do you mean the "could actually be coherently understood and actually made sense" book by William Gibson, the father of Cyberpunk, or the "piece of shit, throw myself amiably around the room" triviality done by Canoe Reeves?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LionHeart

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 21, 2010, 02:42:44 PM
Wait do android bodies have a sleep/dream option?

Yes.

Which of course brings up the question of whether they dream of electric sheep... :P
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

joshofspam

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 21, 2010, 03:44:30 PM

Depends. Do you mean the "could actually be coherently understood and actually made sense" book by William Gibson, the father of Cyberpunk, or the "piece of shit, throw myself amiably around the room" triviality done by Canoe Reeves?

Never knew there was a book before, but still going to have to go with the movie.

That's the problem sometimes with books to movies. For some reason the book never seems to translate well to the screen.

Have you ever read the books Jurassic park and Eragon? I can't even sit through Eragon the movie because my mind tells me that they aren't the same story.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Right. So, rather than a seminal work that inspired fifty years of duplication and innovation, you're going to go with the 90 minute splash in th pan that wasn't filmed until after the Pioneer was too weak to defend himself.

But, that's just my opinion.

joshofspam

Well yeah Learch. of course its sad. But until I can get my hands on the book I can't really use the impressions I get from it. I mean saying I know someones great work when I've never read it before seems to much of a lie to me.

I suppose it could have been worst. I could have said Tron movie.

Edit: I think its time for me to get some rest. Wonder if I can find that book at the library?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Look for Burning Chrome - it's a collection of short stories, of which Johnny Mnemonic is one of the ones in the middle, I think.

IIRC, towards the front of the middle, but it's been a few years since last I read the book.

Edit:
Oh, and both Eragon the book and Eragon the movie were... a bit meh. Nothing to write home about at the very least.

Speaking of movies that utterly, utterly murdered the very concepts of the book they were based on, compare Starship Troopers. Or, better yet, read the book, and forget that the movies were ever made...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 22, 2010, 10:35:28 AM
Speaking of movies that utterly, utterly murdered the very concepts of the book they were based on, compare Starship Troopers. Or, better yet, read the book, and forget that the movies were ever made...

YES! WE AGREE!

Although in their defense, a movie about philosophical musings on how the use of force and military training affect people would probably be awful. Whether or not it would have been as awful as what came out....... Dunno
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on October 22, 2010, 10:40:46 AM
YES! WE AGREE!

Although in their defense, a movie about philosophical musings on how the use of force and military training affect people would probably be awful. Whether or not it would have been as awful as what came out....... Dunno

Possibly enough off-topic to annoy Tapewolf, but the worst thing I heard about this movie was from my brother, who went to see it on opening night.

Apparently they had some strobe lights that were set up to flash every time the guns were fired.

... wrongly, so that they were off by a couple seconds. >.<

LionHeart

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 22, 2010, 10:35:28 AMSpeaking of movies that utterly, utterly murdered the very concepts of the book they were based on, compare Starship Troopers. Or, better yet, read the book, and forget that the movies were ever made...

I, Robot.

That is all.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity