10/16/2010 [PF #140] - Nanoforge BSOD

Started by ChaosMageX, October 16, 2010, 11:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 22, 2010, 11:58:38 AM
Possibly enough off-topic to annoy Tapewolf, but the worst thing I heard about this movie was from my brother, who went to see it on opening night.

Apparently they had some strobe lights that were set up to flash every time the guns were fired.

... wrongly, so that they were off by a couple seconds. >.<

Well, as long as the discussion keeps you entertained until the next comic is up, which may take a while as Ren's internet seems to have flaked out again, so no line-art yet.

I rather enjoyed the Johnny Mnemonic film - I'm a little afraid to read the short though because it will almost certainly ruin the film for me.  I still remember seeing it in 1997 and scoffing at how he ran Stacker(TM) on his brain to double the capacity and then stuffed more data into it than he had capacity for.
Then I went back to work on monday and realised that the software I was working on had done exactly that.  Mind you, I'm also a sucker for far-out religions, which the film did pretty well.

Starship Troopers I just didn't want to know about.  Still sulking over Lord of the Rings, though. O yes, precious.

Naked Lunch... that couldn't really have been filmed.  If you did, no-one would be able to show it.  Again, I rather liked the result of trying to, even though it's a trippy account of writing the book rather than the contents of the book itself.

As for the comic, if Ren's still not back by Sunday, I'll probably run the QFR strip about the soul-stealing bullet.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

In Starship Troopers they destroy my city. :(
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

oh, it wasn't that bad a movie.

Totally different to the collection of short stories, but even so...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

VAE

Actually, starship troopers movie was awesome IMHO.
Reminded me a lot of StarCraft
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Starship Troopers was a "look at the USA, aren't we great" fap-movie.
Starship Troopers was also a thoughtful, insightful, and serious look at how society is managed. Quite possibly wrong, but it was still much much more intellectual than the movie.

The two are nowhere in the same league. Take it from me.

VAE

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 23, 2010, 03:16:55 PM

Starship Troopers was a "look at the USA, aren't we great" fap-movie.
Starship Troopers was also a thoughtful, insightful, and serious look at how society is managed. Quite possibly wrong, but it was still much much more intellectual than the movie.

The two are nowhere in the same league. Take it from me.
USA is great? Hmm, but the characters weren't even american - the main guy was from Buenos Aires which got bombed by the bugs when he was in training camp, no?
All in all, the government was a lot like the UED in StarCraft:Brood War , only without Alexej Stukov...

The short stories sound awesome too - i had them already recommended by a couple folks, but well, the movie  was definitely good
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: danman on October 23, 2010, 03:55:28 PM
USA is great? Hmm, but the characters weren't even american - the main guy was from Buenos Aires which got bombed by the bugs when he was in training camp, no?
All in all, the government was a lot like the UED in StarCraft:Brood War , only without Alexej Stukov...

The short stories sound awesome too - i had them already recommended by a couple folks, but well, the movie  was definitely good

His mother made a trip to Buenos Aires, and died there, yes. He didn't live there. However, the concept was that the "Federation" was basically America written large. All the morals, general outlook, etc, were very "american" in feel. And the way that battle was approached was "we put on some small armour and run out there and shoot things."

Unlike the book, where the armour put on weighed about two thousand pounds, they carried "peeweee nukes", shoulder-mounted auto-grenades, jumped buildings in a small bound, fired flamethrowers, and prided themselves on, well, if they'd been asked to go into an area and arrest every lefthanded redhead, they would have been able to. As standard, not "some did, some didn't"

Take, for example, Sergeant Zim. In the book, Zim ends up being the Sergeant working on Johnny Rico when he ends up running a platoon. Saves his butt a time or two, and the two trust each other because they understand each other; or, at least, _why_ they do the things they do.

It's a much deeper book than the movie. I've barely scratched the surface, yet.

SpottedKitty

A thought: if that's a nano-forge Dorcan and Lyz are working on, are they using proper quantum mechanic's toolkits...?

Sorry, waiting-for-the-next-strip monotony breaker, had to be done.   :giggle
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: SpottedKitty on October 24, 2010, 08:08:40 AM
A thought: if that's a nano-forge Dorcan and Lyz are working on, are they using proper quantum mechanic's toolkits...?

It is time.  Sorry about the delay.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2010, 01:09:45 PM
Quote from: SpottedKitty on October 24, 2010, 08:08:40 AM

It is time.  Sorry about the delay.

still working out on how much it'll cost to have Ren delivered to somewhere with proper internet via post?  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on October 24, 2010, 04:45:01 PM
still working out on how much it'll cost to have Ren delivered to somewhere with proper internet via post?  >:3

[ EDIT: Somehow I misread the question.  My answer was for "how much it would cost to have the line-art delivered via post", i.e. it's too slow to be practical.  Anyhow, the comic has been updated, and so has the archive. ]

Generally it's a turnaround of about 6 weeks or so.  In any case, it wasn't a 'net issue this time.

Naldru

In addition to OpenVMS (DEC Virtual Memory System), I also did programming for CTOS (Convergent Technologies Operating System) and AmigaOS (Commodore Amiga).  That's three operating systems that most people have never heard of.  For those who have never heard of VMS, there are more operating systems in heaven and earth than have dreamt of in your philosophy.  (Slightly awkward paraphrase of another author.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: joshofspam on October 22, 2010, 08:32:41 AM
That's the problem sometimes with books to movies. For some reason the book never seems to translate well to the screen.

That's because all of Hollywood's translators are broken (probably made by M-corp).

Try looking at Wizard of Oz and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, again vastly different between the books and the movies. (BTW, how many here don't know yet, without looking it up, who wrote Chitty? I bet you've seen movies of his other works.)
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen