02/05/10 [DMFA #1085] - Somone needs adjust the freindly fire settings....

Started by Lego3400, February 05, 2010, 12:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

Sure, Wildy is kinda scary (the character, I've had the pleasure of speaking to the real one and she's a sweetheart and an excellent conversationalist) but folks around here seem to have the idea that she's some sort of unbeatable, killing/fighting machine.  Yes, several powerful characters have (for comedy reasons I'm sure) expressed fear of her but I'd point out that 1) she's still a being and that 2) while she may be a shaman and thus have access to some sort of power as well as likely a bit of physical fighting experience, there are plenty of creatures about with plenty of their own power to call on and plenty of methods to enact violence on others.  I think if any of them were to become serious about harming her, she'd be in some serious trouble.

Grey Wolf

Meh. I interpreted Wildy's last speak-bubble as a joke she was making. She's trying to help Jyrras... unfortunately, she's using a method that rarely works.
I hope Jyrras doesn't get hurt by this :<
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Arcblade

Do I recall corrected that Regina beat the snot out of her a long time ago?  

Tapewolf

Quote from: Arcblade on February 05, 2010, 08:53:07 AM

So says Regina's cast page.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 05, 2010, 08:48:07 AM
I think if any of them were to become serious about harming her, she'd be in some serious trouble.

I'll believe it when I see it. Comedy or not, her capacity for bullying others regardless of apparent power level - and being a karma houdini save for Abel's one shot about writing Janus Bond -  is unwholesome and irritating. Our thoughtwaves are incompatible.  :B
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

candide

Well, well, well ... looks like Abel's much more aware than he lets on. :evil

Quote from: Fraxx on February 05, 2010, 07:50:15 AM
Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on February 05, 2010, 12:36:54 AM
Wait a tic - did Abel read her mind, or just deduce it was because of Jyrras?

Hard to say for sure, but I doubt it...Between the use of 'gay' and 'single' in her line of questioning, it was the only logical conclusion...That, and if he had read her mind, Abel would have known he was the intended target of Jyrras' affections all along.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Abel already suspected that Jyrras was attracted to him at this point.

Mao

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 05, 2010, 09:22:29 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 05, 2010, 08:48:07 AM
I think if any of them were to become serious about harming her, she'd be in some serious trouble.

I'll believe it when I see it. Comedy or not, her capacity for bullying others regardless of apparent power level - and being a karma houdini save for Abel's one shot about writing Janus Bond -  is unwholesome and irritating. Our thoughtwaves are incompatible.  :B

There is something to be said for Charisma/Intimidation, even without the power to back it up.  The Wildy character definitely has it, and it can really save your bacon, particularly when one considers some of the folks about in the comic.  As long as people don't see through it, I figure our beloved little feisty ferret won't be having any troubles any time soon.

Alondro

*Charline knows what the differences between friends and enemies are!*  Silly Wildy.  Enemies are people you crush mercilessly with pain and torment, and then kill them when they beg for mercy, after you slaughter all their loved ones before their very eyes and force-feed them with their flesh!   :mwaha

Friends are people you use to your best advantage to gain the power and influence you need while pretending to care about them!  Then if something goes wrong, you pile all the blame on them and abandon them to the angry mob!   :mwaha

*for some reason, Charline doesn't have any friends...*  I can't imagine why.   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 05, 2010, 08:55:18 AM

It's actually kind of odd with Willy.

Her nature seems to get her a lot off respect from the cubi at the Academy.

While at the same time it's mentioned she got a mauling from Regina.

I take it a lot of spunk in a small package gets Lot's of respect from more elder creatures that live in large groups while creatures with little respect for anything like Regina would consider her a tasty snack.

I would guess Willy at one time grow up with demons in her old  neighborhood or just lived in a rough neighborhood at one time.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 05, 2010, 08:55:18 AM

Wildy also wants a rematch, apparently  >:3
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Ry

I think THIS is the real big question.  Much bigger than "Is Abel gay".  *is completely serious*

Although I think she does know the difference.  Friends are people that only she is allowed to beat up or mess with.  Enemies are a free for all.  :mwaha

Quote from: Fraxx on February 05, 2010, 07:50:15 AMHard to say for sure, but I doubt it...Between the use of 'gay' and 'single' in her line of questioning, it was the only logical conclusion...That, and if he had read her mind, Abel would have known he was the intended target of Jyrras' affections all along.
I agree. "Newly out friend"+"Asking men with ambiguous sexuality if they're gay and single" isn't much of a leap to "trying to get a boyfriend for aforementioned friend". It also sounds like Abel thinks Wildy's doing it at random which suggests he either A. doesn't realize Jy-Jy has the hots for him or B. thinks that Jy-Jy has the hots for everyone now and isn't taking it seriously. Either way- he probably isn't reading Wildy's mind to find out that Jy seems to've targeted on him.

I also don't think he wants to read Wildy's mind.  That's a dangerous place...

terrycloth

I don't think Wildy has to worry about backlash from her friends. Despite what Abel's saying she knows when to stop. She doesn't even *start* with Alexei, for example...

iceick

Quote from: terrycloth on February 05, 2010, 01:43:16 PM
I don't think Wildy has to worry about backlash from her friends. Despite what Abel's saying she knows when to stop. She doesn't even *start* with Alexei, for example...
Well if there was ever a time when Alexi was mad at Wildy was when Alexi left Wildy in charge of the inn in the third chapter and everyone went to the beach including Wildy. Technically Dan took control, but as far as Alexi was concerned, Wildy should have still locked up.

Arcblade

Quote from: iceick on February 05, 2010, 02:36:52 PM
Well if there was ever a time when Alexi was mad at Wildy was when Alexi left Wildy in charge of the inn in the third chapter and everyone went to the beach including Wildy. Technically Dan took control, but as far as Alexi was concerned, Wildy should have still locked up.
Yeah, but that's non-canon, if I recall correctly.  

Quote from: Fraxx on February 05, 2010, 07:50:15 AMI also don't think he wants to read Wildy's mind.  That's a dangerous place...
Where's your sense of adventure?   >:3

iceick

Quote from: Arcblade on February 05, 2010, 04:37:05 PM
Quote from: iceick on February 05, 2010, 02:36:52 PM
Yeah, but that's non-canon, if I recall correctly.  
Those events did pave the way for many of the storylines and current characters. So even though it was still based on the game back then, it was sill important.

Naldru

Does anybody else find it interesting that Abel used the wording "recently decided he's gay" instead of "recently discovered he's gay".  It sounds to me like Abel has doubts about Jyrras's beliefs.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Scarydragon

Quote from: Naldru on February 05, 2010, 06:15:43 PM
Does anybody else find it interesting that Abel used the wording "recently decided he's gay" instead of "recently discovered he's gay".  It sounds to me like Abel has doubts about Jyrras's beliefs.

I know I do.
Sure, he might be gay. But he might just be bisexual too. We don't know for absolutely sure that his attraction to Lorenda was only because he was trying to prove to himself he wasn't gay.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Drayco84

Hey, I just realized this... Wildy's a shaman and Amber STILL hasn't made a Shaman King reference!

But regardless, that begs the question... Is Jyrras really gay or is still confused about it? (Unlike Abel, he hasn't had a couple hundred years to get to know himself and mostly hides in his lab.) Hell, is WILDY gay?! She seems more into her mind games than relationships so it's anyone's-HOLY CRAP! SHE'S COMING BACK FOR ROUND TWO! AND SHE'S GOT A PLUNGER! EEEEEEEEYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

(I -may- have been playing a little too much Kingdom of Loathing recently...)

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Scarydragon on February 05, 2010, 06:20:37 PM

I know I do.
Sure, he might be gay. But he might just be bisexual too. We don't know for absolutely sure that his attraction to Lorenda was only because he was trying to prove to himself he wasn't gay.

His acting out all the stereotypes sure doesn't make him sound sincere about being gay, not to me....

And how could his attraction to Lorenda be that?  I think someone's in denial....

Angel

Something worth mentioning here: Abel said that Jyrras has "decided" he's gay. Does that mean he doesn't believe Jyrras really IS gay?

Does anybody else find it interesting that Abel used the wording "recently decided he's gay" instead of "recently discovered he's gay".  It sounds to me like Abel has doubts about Jyrras's beliefs.

I know I do.

So it HAS been brought up already. It could be because Abel himself doesn't really seem to get the idea of "defining" sexuality, because he doesn't understand it the way people with a sexual orientation do. Either way, he really seemed to be playing with Jyrras's interest in him at first. Of course, that could have just been him trying to unnerve and confuse Jyrras away. But still.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Rakyth

REMEMBER: Friendly fire at point blank is considered a misfire.

Not that my dumb teamates know... Cause the smart ones don't ruin a good tank-slaying RPG to fire at the tracks with his deagle...

Bad experiences in a FPS...I finished him with a crotch-shot from his deagle... Course the tank had noticed me and raped me with a shell.

... Don't mention friendly fire please.

AmigaDragon

We don't know for absolutely sure that his attraction to Lorenda was only because he was trying to prove to himself he wasn't gay.

I don't think he was trying to prove it to himself, I think he just hadn't considered the possibility of being gay until #608. And like others mentioned, I think he's mostly "going through the motions" of the stereotype.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Baal Hadad

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 06, 2010, 12:46:05 AM
We don't know for absolutely sure that his attraction to Lorenda was only because he was trying to prove to himself he wasn't gay.

I don't think he was trying to prove it to himself, I think he just hadn't considered the possibility of being gay until #608. And like others mentioned, I think he's mostly "going through the motions" of the stereotype.

What about his crush on Dan?

Bjalf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 06, 2010, 12:55:24 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 06, 2010, 12:46:05 AM

What about his crush on Dan?

Well, Dan does have a really cute butt ...

Dard

To tell the truth, I find the term "decided he's gay" totally appropriate.

Even ignoring that I am not yet sure he really is gay (too soon to tell without him having entered any relationship) he didn't just discover it and get on with his life. He started broadcasting it all around up to the point where he adjusted his behaviour so that "certain obligations must be fulfilled".

In addition to "he discovered he is gay" I would call this behaviour "he has decided he is gay".

iceick

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 05, 2010, 06:38:55 PM
Hey, I just realized this... Wildy's a shaman and Amber STILL hasn't made a Shaman King reference!
You just had to say it didn't you.

Hell, is WILDY gay?! She seems more into her mind games than relationships so it's anyone's-HOLY CRAP! SHE'S COMING BACK FOR ROUND TWO! AND SHE'S GOT A PLUNGER! EEEEEEEEYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
Hey, if you want to talk smack about Wildy, try playing DDR with her and Dan first. Otherwise you'll keep getting a plunger shoved up your :censored.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Black_angel on February 05, 2010, 07:48:45 PM
So it HAS been brought up already. It could be because Abel himself doesn't really seem to get the idea of "defining" sexuality, because he doesn't understand it the way people with a sexual orientation do. Either way, he really seemed to be playing with Jyrras's interest in him at first. Of course, that could have just been him trying to unnerve and confuse Jyrras away. But still.

In terms of Abel 'playing' with Jyrras while at SAIA, Strip 570 is arguably quite important here.  What he was doing earlier was not unlike the bat thing with Dan - something he assumed they'd be able to cope with but misjudged.
What he did in the RoDP arc is considerably later and after they'd been around each other a while.  It looks to me like a slightly snarky jab at someone he considers a friend (even if he doesn't really know it himself).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2010, 06:48:18 AM
In terms of Abel 'playing' with Jyrras while at SAIA, Strip 570 is arguably quite important here.  What he was doing earlier was not unlike the bat thing with Dan - something he assumed they'd be able to cope with but misjudged.
What he did in the RoDP arc is considerably later and after they'd been around each other a while.  It looks to me like a slightly snarky jab at someone he considers a friend (even if he doesn't really know it himself).

Abel could be more critical of the fact Jyrras seems to think that him learning that he's gay means he has to renovate his entire personality to fit flamboyant stereotypes, rather than Jyrras's revelation itself.

Goody, we get to have more pointless "Is Jyrras bi or gay?" debates.

in b4 Kinsey scale

Oh no. What madness is this.

Actually, Amber just could not care for Shaman King. I used to love it though so I guess if you're a fan, you're not alone.

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 06, 2010, 10:37:10 AM

Goody, we get to have more pointless "Is Jyrras bi or gay?" debates.

But what else will these folks have left to talk about? Tiddlywinks?   >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Keleth

Quote from: Turnsky on February 06, 2010, 11:08:16 AM
But what else will these folks have left to talk about? Tiddlywinks?   >:3

Well, they'll go back to Is Abel gay for Aniz. And is Edward Jyrass's father.

I mean, it's all we talk about.
Help! I'm gay!