Re: [ART] Shadrok's Art : webcast art (Jan 23rd)

Started by Shadrok, May 17, 2009, 10:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadrok

I was wanting to draw some gift art for Amber today so I drew this.

I hope she likes it.

________________________________________________________________________________
*Edit*
Updated pic of Nutmeg
________________________________________________________________________________

webcast art (Jan 23rd)

Cat, I'm a kitty cat (Jan 2nd)
Amber vs the spots (Dec 14th)
art and more art (Dec 5th)
Mech shopping (Dec 3rd)
Dbunny (Nov 24th)
Dbear attacks (Nov 23rd)
Crazy mad (Nov 15th)
Demon Bear (Oct 25th)
Food Time Fun (Sept 7th)
You've got to be kidding me (Aug 21st)

GabrielsThoughts

nutmeg looks good, although I thought she had fewer fingers for some reason.

edit: head seems to kinda flatten out to a point at the top
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Kipiru

Awesome art Shadrok- it really has a nice finish to it. Only one thing I can see wrong- her right eye(her right, not ours) seems a bit off compared to the other one- like it stands a bit tilted clockwise and more closed than it's counterpart. Apart from that- there are no flaws I can see that are not related to the style itself (and as I've said before- criticizing one's style is just rude).

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on May 17, 2009, 10:42:23 PM

Not to belittle that comment, but that might not even be a flaw, but just a part of his style. This being Amber's character, you may argue that the artist of any fanart has to stick to the set looks, but I disagree- for this is a vision of this character and not just a copy of it.

Shadrok

edit: head seems to kinda flatten out to a point at the top

I think part of that is the placement of her ears combined with the bangs that give off that effect. For some reason those bangs did give me the worst time drawing, likely do to the fact that I need to draw more hairstyles more often.

Quote from: Kipiru on May 18, 2009, 08:11:51 AM
Awesome art Shadrok- it really has a nice finish to it. Only one thing I can see wrong- her right eye(her right, not ours) seems a bit off compared to the other one- like it stands a bit tilted clockwise and more closed than it's counterpart. Apart from that- there are no flaws I can see that are not related to the style itself (and as I've said before- criticizing one's style is just rude).

I see what you mean I think I could have brought her mask up a little in her right side of the eye. I think what did it was the fact that I made the line for the bottom of the eye too long. Moments like these are why I leave the final PSD finalized, makes small changes like this easier to fix.

Quote from: Kipiru on May 18, 2009, 08:11:51 AM
Not to belittle that comment, but that might not even be a flaw, but just a part of his style. This being Amber's character, you may argue that the artist of any fanart has to stick to the set looks, but I disagree- for this is a vision of this character and not just a copy of it.

The fingers are the right number as you can see in comic 792

Shadrok

Kipiru

Wow, very nice! He looks like he is just coming out of a finishing move, ready to close his eyes again after the battle!

Mao

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love it.  It's awesome.  I love the pose, I think you did a great job with the details of his appearance and I really adore the coloring and shading (and wish I could do that).  I really appreciate you doing this for me Shadrok, it's a very kind gesture and I won't forget that.

Shadrok

Quote from: Kipiru on June 04, 2009, 12:36:07 AM
Wow, very nice! He looks like he is just coming out of a finishing move, ready to close his eyes again after the battle!
*some guy in a monster suit falls down behind Mao then exsplodes*

Thanks.  :mowwink

Quote from: Mao Laoren on June 04, 2009, 07:08:52 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love it.  It's awesome.  I love the pose, I think you did a great job with the details of his appearance and I really adore the coloring and shading (and wish I could do that).  I really appreciate you doing this for me Shadrok, it's a very kind gesture and I won't forget that.

I'm glad you like it.  :mowhappy

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Shadrok

Quote from: Gabi on June 05, 2009, 11:56:54 AM
Oh! That looks really cool. :)

Thanks Gabi   :bunny

*Scratches his head*

Hmm... I thought I posted this here already. Oh well I guess not.

*puts on his plumber outfit*

:funkluigi1
Here we go!

Some more gift art drawn during the JAVGW webcast. This time for Vkyrie and drawn during the last broadcast.

As for the idea behind the pic basically I was drawing a blank as to what to draw for her. When it hit me she's an artist, I'm sure she's run into this problem too. So that's what I drew.

Kage

Quote from: Shadrok on June 22, 2009, 08:21:23 PMAs for the idea behind the pic basically I was drawing a blank as to what to draw for her. When it hit me she's an artist, I'm sure she's run into this problem too. So that's what I drew.

It happens a lot.....  Artists' block is evil!  :<
I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Shadrok

Quote from: Kage on June 22, 2009, 10:04:11 PM
It happens a lot.....  Artists' block is evil!  :<

That is too true.

I was going through some papers and ran across some pictures I thought were not too bad.

This was drawn back when Tapewolf asked me to do a guest portion for a flashback in his comic. Part of the flash back had Keaton and this pic is a result of my first attempt at drawing her, though it didn't turn out anything like her (probably due to the fact that I drew this at work and with out references.)

These two pics were done back when I was still in art college. I believe the class was called acting for animators, and the assignment was to do two character expressions.
After looking at her I've been thinking of adding her as a character to Shadrok's back story which I'm still flushing out.

This was going to be gift art for Netami (who seems to have falling off to some where unknown). He was the first to welcome me to the DMFA forum back when it was on "The NICE" fourms.

This is just a doodle of a mech leg. I forget when this was drawn but I like how this turned out, and may be some day I'll draw the rest of the mech for it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shadrok on June 29, 2009, 04:10:03 PM
This was going to be gift art for Netami (who seems to have falling off to some where unknown). He was the first to welcome me to the DMFA forum back when it was on "The NICE" fourms.

Netami was asked to leave, after breaching the rules too many times, despite being given a chance to behave himself. That's a "U R B&" type asked, BTW. Enthusiastically enforced when he breached the "generating another account to get around a ban" rule, as well, as I recall.

Just in case you're waiting for him.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shadrok

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 29, 2009, 05:21:47 PM

Netami was asked to leave, after breaching the rules too many times, despite being given a chance to behave himself. That's a "U R B&" type asked, BTW. Enthusiastically enforced when he breached the "generating another account to get around a ban" rule, as well, as I recall.

Just in case you're waiting for him.

I remember him being banned once but I didn't know if it was permanent. Thanks llearch for clearing that up. As for waiting for him, nah I was merely mentioning who the pic was done for. (I think this was done at the time of his banning, which could be why it ended up in a pile of papers and forgotten till now.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shadrok on June 29, 2009, 05:31:14 PM
I remember him being banned once but I didn't know if it was permanent. Thanks llearch for clearing that up. As for waiting for him, nah I was merely mentioning who the pic was done for. (I think this was done at the time of his banning, which could be why it ended up in a pile of papers and forgotten till now.)

Three times, for varying amounts, prior to the permaban. We did warn him.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Part of the flash back had Keaton and this pic is a result of my first attempt at drawing her, though it didn't turn out anything like her (probably due to the fact that I drew this at work and with out references.)
As you say, it doesn't really match her too well, but taken on its own it's a nice enough piece.

QuoteThese two pics were done back when I was still in art college. I believe the class was called acting for animators, and the assignment was to do two character expressions.
After looking at her I've been thinking of adding her as a character to Shadrok's back story which I'm still flushing out.

Nice.  I do wonder that Shadrok seems to be the only male cast member in his backstory.  It seems to be him and a posse of female flight technicians.  Nothing wrong with that, but having myself accidentally created a cast consisting mostly of male characters I am kind of wondering if you're doing the same sort of thing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shadrok

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 29, 2009, 05:50:11 PM
Quote from: Shadrok on June 29, 2009, 05:31:14 PM

Three times, for varying amounts, prior to the permaban. We did warn him.

He was warned, then hammered, understood.

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 29, 2009, 06:04:01 PM
Part of the flash back had Keaton and this pic is a result of my first attempt at drawing her, though it didn't turn out anything like her (probably due to the fact that I drew this at work and with out references.)
As you say, it doesn't really match her too well, but taken on its own it's a nice enough piece.
That's what I thought, though Keaton is a shape shifter so.... *rolls an idea around in his head.* Hmmm... that mite work.

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 29, 2009, 06:04:01 PM
QuoteThese two pics were done back when I was still in art college. I believe the class was called acting for animators, and the assignment was to do two character expressions.

Nice.  I do wonder that Shadrok seems to be the only male cast member in his backstory.  It seems to be him and a posse of female flight technicians.  Nothing wrong with that, but having myself accidentally created a cast consisting mostly of male characters I am kind of wondering if you're doing the same sort of thing.

I mite be...?

*does a tally on his cast*

Shadrok - Male - Leader, pilot

Meg - Female - 2nd leader, pilot

Kim - Female - chief mechanic

Zak - Male - weapons expert

Chia - Female - ships cook

Ellen - Female - supply officer

Edward - Male - Pilot

Krazak - Male - Flight Instructor / base commander

Then there's the new girl, who I think I'll name Jessica (Jet for short). I think also she'll be the assistant mechanic. (After all there are two ships, plus planes to keep up with.)

Also there's the non combatants Sid and her twin Sam.

Final tally is: males 4, females 7.
and it doesn't help that one of the males will be written out early on.

So I see what you mean.

*goes to bring balince to the force XY factor in the story*

*edit*
Oh almost forgot Fodder, the bad luck cat.

Kipiru

Cool cast Shad! Don't pay too much attention to Tape- his cast is entirely male, so of course he would be baffled by a dominant female presence  :)

Shadrok

Quote from: Kipiru on June 30, 2009, 12:36:55 AM
Cool cast Shad! Don't pay too much attention to Tape- his cast is entirely male, so of course he would be baffled by a dominant female presence  :)
Thanks Kipiru, I kind of consider what Tape said as a reasonable question. In a way it lets me stop, step back, and look to see if I am getting too caught up in things that I fail to notice others.

After looking at it thought I do think I need a few more male characters. After all Shadrok is not a harem kind of guy, it just turns out I like to draw women.  :P

As for Tape's male cast, well I figured that was just because it's easier to write for the physique that you have rather then that of the opposite sex. I'm always questioning myself about that with my characters as I fear I mite make them come off too tomboyish if I'm not careful.

Kipiru

Well I don't really believe male and female character should be put to a scale measure- it depends on the story you place in your head- i find it better to start with a couple of character and add new ones as i go along with the story. I never actually count females and males- I just go with creating the type of character I need for the scene i have in my mind.

Shadrok

Quote from: Kipiru on July 05, 2009, 06:30:05 PM
Well I don't really believe male and female character should be put to a scale measure- it depends on the story you place in your head- i find it better to start with a couple of character and add new ones as i go along with the story. I never actually count females and males- I just go with creating the type of character I need for the scene i have in my mind.

I never counted the sexes till Tape asked, and for the most part I'll likely add some male background characters that just do things in the background of the panels. Nothing as far as making a male character and having it replace one in a scene.

I use to have 2 Griffin characters in my early drafts but as I rolled ideas around it turned out better to just leave them out. So story first, characters as I go is really the rule for me.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadrok on July 05, 2009, 06:22:21 PM
Thanks Kipiru, I kind of consider what Tape said as a reasonable question. In a way it lets me stop, step back, and look to see if I am getting too caught up in things that I fail to notice others.
Indeed.  If I'd thought about it when I was writing there would probably be a few more female characters.  I wanted to give you an opportunity to make sure you didn't fall into the same trap  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shadrok

I did this a few days ago, and basically it's just something that came out of playing with Photoshop before I had to head off to work. Over all I like how it turned out.

technical:
3 layers
2 brushes
1 lens flare
1 lighting effect filter
time spent 10 min

Kipiru

Impressive work for 10 min. I'm jealous.

Gabi

Wow! It looks very reallistic. Good work!

There's a bright spot in the lower-left quadrant. Does it represent anything?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Mao

Looks like a sunspot (those little glimmers of circular light you get when looking up towards the sun in this case)...maybe a flare..I'm really not sure what the term for it is.  It makes sense to me since the sun is in the upper right.

Shadrok

Quote from: Kipiru on July 31, 2009, 12:57:15 AM
Impressive work for 10 min. I'm jealous.
Thanks, but I have to give most of the credit to the brush I used as it works wonders for clouds, and with the wacom it can make varying types too.

Quote from: Gabi on July 31, 2009, 12:49:28 PM
Wow! It looks very reallistic. Good work!

There's a bright spot in the lower-left quadrant. Does it represent anything?
Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 31, 2009, 12:51:21 PM
Looks like a sunspot (those little glimmers of circular light you get when looking up towards the sun in this case)...maybe a flare..I'm really not sure what the term for it is.  It makes sense to me since the sun is in the upper right.
Mao is right, it's the lens flare (that's what Photoshop calls it) that your seeing.

I have mixed feeling about how this turned out. Could just be due to the fact that it took longer to finish then I had wanted it to. Anyway it's just a no name rabbit surfer.

Kipiru

I love the shirt pattern- it's so Hawaii!  :mowmeep

Passive

Shadrok

Quote from: Kipiru on August 01, 2009, 03:34:16 AM
I love the shirt pattern- it's so Hawaii!  :mowmeep
:mowhappy That's what I was aiming for, so I'm glad I was able to pull it off. :boogie

Quote from: Passive on August 03, 2009, 01:32:40 AM
Thanks for the art, Shadrok. Glad to see you're integrated so well around these parts.

Your welcome and I've been on the forum for years just not as active as some.

BD Booster activated! ZOOOooooom!

A surprise birthday gift for The Gay Hare.

I started this at 8Pm and finish around 2am. I'm too tired to do the math, but that's how long it took from sketch to finished color pic.