Re: [ART] Shadrok's Art : webcast art (Jan 23rd)

Started by Shadrok, May 17, 2009, 10:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipiru

That is a Pirate hare racing a flaming squirrel with a Santa hat! Pretty funny actually  :mowhappy

Zedd

Shadrok

Today I spent a good part of my day stuck outside a gas station due to me being an idiot and locking the keys in the car. Fortunately the car was off; unfortunately my folks were not home and would not be for at least another 4 hours. So after leaving a message on our machine I then went into the gas station bought some gummies and a Mellow Yellow then stood by my car and waited. As I waited I decided to walk over to my job which wasn't too far and bought some pencils and a drawing pad to help kill some time as I waited.

Normally I wouldn't mention this because of how stupid I feel having done this but the pic that came out of the waiting turned out well enough that I'm going to post it here and later on Ink an color it. So I guess despite the day turning all "Meh" on me something good did come out of it. Plus I'm taking steps to avoid this happening again.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shadrok

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 22, 2009, 07:09:59 AM
Heh. Nice pic.

What steps were you planning on taking?

Thanks

As for the steps; well my car has two keys, one for the locks and one for the ignition. So what I've done is put my lock key on one of those key holders that reels and that clips on to a belt loop.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Shadrok

Trying to keep my mind busy on other things at the moment (those not in the know read the post I made in the Outer Fortress The Villa.)

I forgot about this, it was drawn back towards the beginning of the month during a lunch brake at work.

I plan on coloring and making a few different versions of this.

Shadrok

I drew this during JAVGW's web cast.

I also did a "How It's made" pic too.

Also if you have any questions on how it was made just ask.

rt

Quote from: Shadrok on October 25, 2009, 10:02:44 PM
Also if you have any questions on how it was made just ask.

So it's not a 'how' but more of a 'why' (a polite why .. not a "why oh why that seems silly" ) .. but I've got to ask .. colouring it gray+shading before brown with shading? And yes i'm prepared for "cause that's the way I did it"  ;)

Mao

I admit I'm also curious for a bit more of a breakdown on the how and why of the process.  I'm very envious of your coloring/shading and would love to know more about how you do what you do. :3

Shadrok

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 26, 2009, 05:26:05 PM
I'm very envious of your coloring/shading and would love to know more about how you do what you do. :3

Thanks Mao.  :mowcookie

Quote from: rt on October 26, 2009, 05:17:45 PM
So it's not a 'how' but more of a 'why' (a polite why .. not a "why oh why that seems silly" ) .. but I've got to ask .. colouring it gray+shading before brown with shading? And yes i'm prepared for "cause that's the way I did it"  ;)
Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 26, 2009, 05:26:05 PM
I admit I'm also curious for a bit more of a breakdown on the how and why of the process.

Question: Why did I shaded it in gray before coloring?

Answer: I shaded it in gray because it allows me to see the shade and highlight values better. Also I use a gradient map to convert the shades of gray into colors while keeping the shading.

For the Demon Bear's fur I used a three color gradient (a yellow for the highlight, a redish brown, and a dark brown for the shading).

I started using this technique after watching the artist Pinkuh on Ustream. Though her method is different from mine as she uses cream to highlight blue on a different layer, while I use white and black to shade gray on one layer. Also she erases the excess color while I use masks.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadrok on October 27, 2009, 05:37:35 PM
Answer: I shaded it in gray because it allows me to see the shade and highlight values better. Also I use a gradient map to convert the shades of gray into colors while keeping the shading.

I had wondered if you'd done something along those lines.  It's not a shading technique I've seen before, but it makes a lot of sense.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

rt

Thanks for the info Shadrock, didn't know that was possible.
The method turns out a very good resutls I must say, though it seems alot of the trick would be in the work in the initial gray shading.

Shadrok

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 27, 2009, 06:31:53 PM
I had wondered if you'd done something along those lines.  It's not a shading technique I've seen before, but it makes a lot of sense.

It works a lot better then my old method of using a Multiply layer and a Screen layer. Those two layers often made the shades too dark and the Highlights to white. Plus with me using brush opacity more this new method has in a lot of ways become quicker then the old.

Quote from: rt on November 02, 2009, 07:43:52 AM
It seems a lot of the trick would be in the work in the initial gray shading.

That it is, I tend to use a brush with a 50% opacity and flow rate of 50%. As far as placing the black and white; I place the first stroke, then use the eye dropper to pick that shade/highlight and work on making a gradation using the eye dropper to help pick the in-between shades/highlights. Every so often I then use the smudge tool to blend the shades/highlights together.

Shadrok

Drawn, inked, and colored this during the JAVW broadcast.

Inspired by the song "Hard To See" by Five Finger Death Punch.

Shadrok

Drew this as my first attempt at web casting. Apart from the ups and downs (oh the downs *Shakes fist*) it was fun. I will be doing other casts in the future. :bunny

bradypodidae

Dbear is toying with the Adventurers! It was fun watching your process, Shadrok. I look forward to seeing more.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

WhiteFox

The shading looks... well, strange in places.

The shape of the deltoid, bicep, and tricep area on the left shoulder don't look right to me.

The hands seem kind of formless, since the fingers meld into the back of the hand without definition. Since the fingers and the back of the hand are on different planes, there ought to be some difference in shade to define them.

Despite how "right" a lot of the shadows look, the image overall seems flat to me. I can't really put my finger on what it is that gives me that impression. I just don't get a sense of volume from it.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Shadrok

Quote from: WhiteFox on November 23, 2009, 10:07:28 PM
The shading looks... well, strange in places.

The shape of the deltoid, bicep, and tricep area on the left shoulder don't look right to me.

The hands seem kind of formless, since the fingers meld into the back of the hand without definition. Since the fingers and the back of the hand are on different planes, there ought to be some difference in shade to define them.

Despite how "right" a lot of the shadows look, the image overall seems flat to me. I can't really put my finger on what it is that gives me that impression. I just don't get a sense of volume from it.
The flatness could be due to the background, because looking at in thumbnail it reminds me of the color paper drawings I did back in school.

As for the proportions, I know they are  off, for the most part this was part of a test to see if I could do a drawing cast. I had my programs crash during the cast as I was sketching this. So when I found that Open Canvas had made a quick save, I decided best not press my luck on refining things and moved on to the final stages. I had yet cast tested Photoshop and was wanting to know if it would work. Over all Jtv was just buggy.

How ever today's cast in Ustream was better. There were a few bumps setting up, but after things got started it seemed to run smoothly. I will say there were times where I thought OC was about to crash but it pulled through. Also I didn't test photoshop with this one so I didn't feel the need to rush it as much as the other.

Also because people were interested in a fast forward version of me drawing, here's the OC event file (in a zip file). click to download  

techmaster-glitch

Aha, the colossal duo of Dbear and Dbunny is complete! Ted and Bill, off on another whirlwind adventure! :D

Shadrok

Just finished this on my art webcast.

I'd like to everyone who tuned in to watch as I drew this, and I hope it was as fun to watch as it was fun for me to draw.  :bunny

And remember any future casts will be announced here >>>Link.

Shadrok

During my webcast today I drew more then one pic.

This one was a request from a viewer from Ustream. As I didn't have anything planned, I finished the sketch I was working on and did this quick drawing for them.

http://shadrok.deviantart.com/art/Tigerboy-s-Request-145830226

After which I then went back to work on the sketch and made the finished pic that is now my Avatar.

And after that I did a few doodles before ending the cast.

Also of note I did the doodles from memory so they're are some that I mangled.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Shadrok

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 06, 2009, 05:47:35 AM
Nice work on the avatar, there.

Thanks Llearch. :mowcookie

I had hoped to have finished this during JAVW's casting but... well I guess I fell to the bane that is "Abel's spots". Anyway this was inspired by Amber voicing her dislike of Abel's spots during the cast.

I guess every artist creates their own form of bane.

I know as I work on my comic and develop a buffer before I start posting, I've Already met mine and it is all the tech that I thought at the time was a "Good Idea". In fact I'm still trying to work out how the "Emerald sky" and "Azure moon" are to be laid out.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Kipiru

Zedd

Shadrok

During today's web cast I finished a pic I had drawn on an earlier cast .

I also recorded the coloring of this pic so those who were unable to join me as I did this you can view the video here.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/drawing-with-shadrok

bradypodidae

Swinging in the New Year, nice! The shading turned out quite well, and I like how she is still airborne after the spin move I envision them completing.

... and I dance, dance, dance...
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Shadrok

Here are the two pics I drew during today's webcast.

Hope everyone who joined me today had fun watching me draw.