Case Closed thanks everybunny

Started by thegayhare, September 13, 2013, 12:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Hello every bunny

I've got a little bit of a kerfuffle and wanted your folks opinion on it

Recently I sold  a 4 inch tv my mom won in a local auction

It was new in box yadda yadda yadda

it eventually sold for 35 dollars on ebay with 7 dollars shipping and handling (actual shipping was 13s  deducted from the payment amount)

Customer now says it doesn't work.  says it powers up but all he gets is searching for signal message.   I informed him that if he sent the item back to me I'd be happy to issue a refund.   He has stated that its in the mail and wants his refund now...  I'm holding fast that till the tv is in my hands I won't issue a refund...

I've since also done research and because signal strength varies around the country the tv in question is not always able to receive a clear signal with its internal antenna and would require an external antenna accessory in those area's (hence the searching for signal message).   once it arrives I will test it and if thats the case I'm tempted to offer a partial refund since the item would be in working order.  but either way the refund I offer will not include the shipping charges.  at most I would offer the 35 dollar payment.   I'm out money either way...

what do you folks think is there something else I should do or am I being a big jack ass

Edit:  on a side note I just realised maybe using a pirate flag as my icon on my ebay site sends the rong message to potential customers

llearch n'n'daCorna

As long as you're clear about what you're willing to offer, it seems reasonable to me.

Shipping is outside the usual replacement agreements with businesses. I can't see why, just because you're a person and not a business, you should work any differently. He's out of pocket, you're out of pocket. If the device works fine for you, then it's user error, and you shouldn't be expected to deal with that.

Heck, my take on it would be "it's searching for a signal. This means it's working, it just can't find a signal. Try somewhere closer to the antenna?"

Very much more "caveat emptor", though it's a bit late for that for you now. But yes, he pays shipping to get it to him, he pays shipping to get it back. Worst case, you give him his money back for the item, but you sure as heck don't give him back any shipping money - if you save something on the shipping, then that's your good fortune, not a reason for his pocket to get improved.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

yeah I wish I'd looked into that before agreeing to refund the money.   

thanks Llearch....  he's demanding his money before the item arrives and it's been more then a week since he says he mailed it.   at this point I'm half expecting to never receive the tv or get an empty box in the mail

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you don't get the item, then as far as you can tell, he never mailed it.

Best efforts and all that, but there's all sorts of chancers out there on ebay. State your policy, learn from it, be clear about what you accept, and stick to that. Only way to survive.

joshofspam

I'm actually a little surprised.

Here in North Dakota, it sounds like their completely fazing out radio signal television in favor of satellite and cable t.v. in digital.

Could it be that the area he lives in has no radio signal television coverage?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Brunhidden

hr in wisconsin thy had warnings for yars that thr was a dadlin aftr which antnna tvs would no longr work, i think it switchd in 09. but thr ar adaptors to allow antnna tvs to still work

yah, my vot is that rcipint didnt know antnnas dont work thr anymor
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

thegayhare

exactly   its the same here I just wish I had thought of that before I agreed to the refund....

still waiting on the tv  its 2 weeks now since he said they sent it out

thegayhare

bastard bastard bastard

He freaking lied

I contacted paypal and paypal demanded a tracking number from the customer.   according to the tracking number the customer refused delivery.   he never had a chance to see if it worked and instead refused delivery and claimed it was busted

what an ass

I still havent gotten it

Amber Williams

From what I have been reading, tvs and various electronics have the woefully highest track record of folks trying to scam on one side or another.

I hope things work out. It really sounds like the guy is trying to pull a fast one.

thegayhare

Thank you ma'am
I contacted pay pal and they said that's definitely a black mark against him and since they didn't pay for the return shipping I wouldn't be required to refund that... However no money would be released until they received confirmation from me that what I get in the mail was what I sent.  They think this is fishy too

Ps

Since tomorrow is talk like a pirate day and I have a job interview do you think I should combine the two

LionHeart

Depends what sort of job you're going for.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: thegayhare on September 18, 2013, 11:29:38 PM
Since tomorrow is talk like a pirate day and I have a job interview do you think I should combine the two

Arrr, it do be a poor idearr, matey. Usually.

Sofox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 19, 2013, 04:42:34 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on September 18, 2013, 11:29:38 PM

Arrr, it do be a poor idearr, matey. Usually.

There is something said for standing out at a job interview...

...but yeah, in most cases, best to use the traditional methods: Be nice to the secretary, firm handshake, research company beforehand, etc.

thegayhare

actually I had kinda worked for this company before

sorta...

I worked for acs which handled there credit card applications calls

this time I'd be working directly for them in there fraud department

Sofox

Fraud department? Great, because of the event that you made this whole thread about, you've got first hand experience in that area!

thegayhare

Quote from: Sofox on September 19, 2013, 08:00:55 PM
Fraud department? Great, because of the event that you made this whole thread about, you've got first hand experience in that area!

aint that the truth

thegayhare

welp I got my tv from the buyer...

thats all that arrived

a bit of the packaging and a letter saying that all they had received was this bit of packaging

Tapewolf

Quote from: thegayhare on September 23, 2013, 10:21:10 PM
a bit of the packaging and a letter saying that all they had received was this bit of packaging

So the piece of packaging was displaying a 'Searching' message and not picking up TV signals...?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

Sounds to me like the dude "claimed" he refused delivery, pocketed the TV and demanded his money back. Tell PayPal you never got it and that the dude is responsible for the loss.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

thegayhare

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 24, 2013, 03:14:33 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on September 23, 2013, 10:21:10 PM

So the piece of packaging was displaying a 'Searching' message and not picking up TV signals...?
No sorry the letter was from the post office saying all they could find of the package was the wrapping paper

And Darkmoon I think your right
I just got an affidavit notarized  to send paypal for my appeal

thegayhare

Well I scanned the affidavit and the scrap of packaging I recived and it looks like paypal has closed out the case in my favor

llearch n'n'daCorna

Woot! All's well that ends well, then.

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Damaris

Just so you know, that doesn't look like the post office forms I've gotten in the past when I've received damaged packages back.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber