29/10/12 [DMFA #1349] - Much is explained

Started by Tapewolf, October 29, 2012, 07:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Right, so it looks like Nitemyst had the same problem as Dan, i.e. he had a psycho Demon girlfriend who tried to kill all his friends.  And now he figures that 'Cubi act like Demons, which AFAIK isn't normally the case.
Though supposedly Demons frown on that kind of subterfuge as well - wonder if Regina was two-timing Dan...?

Now, the main reason Wildy is creature-tolerant in spite of that is presumably because of Dan, but how is she going to explain that to Nitemyst without compromising Dan, or giving Nitemyst the impression that Dan might have killed Merlitz?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

justacritic

Species relations are likely in the toilet for these types of events. No wonder it seems like a new war is boiling up.

Ignuus66

Quote from: justacritic on October 29, 2012, 09:45:45 AM
Species relations are likely in the toilet for these types of events. No wonder it seems like a new war is boiling up.
I am beginning to doubt you could call that a war, as things wont be nice and simple with 2 or more sides.

(credit: Gabi)

TacticalError

Quote from: Ignuus66 on October 29, 2012, 01:14:29 PM
I am beginning to doubt you could call that a war, as things wont be nice and simple with 2 or more sides.

It would probably less of a formal 'we're declaring war against you' war and more a large-scale drunken brawl. One person (or group) starts it, everyone else gets dragged in and it has a messy ending.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 29, 2012, 07:45:14 AM
Right, so it looks like Nitemyst had the same problem as Dan, i.e. he had a psycho Demon girlfriend who tried to kill all his friends.  And now he figures that 'Cubi act like Demons, which AFAIK isn't normally the case.
Though supposedly Demons frown on that kind of subterfuge as well - wonder if Regina was two-timing Dan...?

Now, the main reason Wildy is creature-tolerant in spite of that is presumably because of Dan, but how is he going to explain that to Nitemyst without compromising Dan, or giving Nitemyst the impression that Dan might have killed Merlitz?

I'm actually a little curious on how a Demon fits in with what Pegasus said to Nite about when Nite had second thoughts?

Are we referring to demon as an exact species identification here or a generalized term of any creature with a history of evil deeds?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

Quote from: TacticalError on October 29, 2012, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on October 29, 2012, 01:14:29 PM

It would probably less of a formal 'we're declaring war against you' war and more a large-scale drunken brawl. One person (or group) starts it, everyone else gets dragged in and it has a messy ending.
yeah, that was the word I was searching for. I probably imagine that nobody except for 1 side will gain anything from it, but it really seems inevetable. I also think it will be more or less the war of which is more viable, magic or somewhat basic technology.

(credit: Gabi)

Lying Foo

Now, the main reason Wildy is creature-tolerant in spite of that is presumably because of Dan, but how is he going to explain that to Nitemyst without compromising Dan, or giving Nitemyst the impression that Dan might have killed Merlitz?

Is it because of Dan?  She didn't seem especially fazed when she first found out he was an incubus, nor did she ever seem to have a problem with Aary or Lorenda... I'm thinking if it was because of Dan, she knew what he was before he did, which isn't a huge stretch considering Lexi did and they grew up together, especially since Biggs was working with Destania well before Dan found out.

(Hmm... I have a gut feeling that the name of the demon in question begins with R... but I'm trying to figure out how that could have been before her training.  Unless the entire reason she and Dan went to adventurer school was because of her mother's death.)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on October 29, 2012, 03:33:50 PM
Is it because of Dan?  She didn't seem especially fazed when she first found out he was an incubus, nor did she ever seem to have a problem with Aary or Lorenda... I'm thinking if it was because of Dan, she knew what he was before he did, which isn't a huge stretch considering Lexi did and they grew up together, especially since Biggs was working with Destania well before Dan found out.

Yes, that's my line of reasoning.  It may be wrong, but it seems sensible.  Particularly as Dan seemed to be the only person who thought he was a Being...

Sienna Maiu - M T

Apart from fangirly-thoughts of Nitemyst and Wildy getting together (which wouldn't mesh with her father's arranged-marriage plans) that I had before, my first thought with this update was; he never specifies a gender.

That said; side-note: three-fingered hands still look weird.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Lying Foo

...actually, he sort of did, or at least Amber did, by spelling it with one E.

And that gender is male.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

joshofspam

Quote from: Lying Foo on October 29, 2012, 03:33:50 PM

(Hmm... I have a gut feeling that the name of the demon in question begins with R... but I'm trying to figure out how that could have been before her training.  Unless the entire reason she and Dan went to adventurer school was because of her mother's death.)

Another two possibility on why Wildy might be easy going with other creatures might be that if Biggs statement with Destania really hints at a long term relationship with clan Cyra. It might be that meeting other creatures might not be an all to unfamiliar thing for Wildy.

Though one can't dismiss that it might not simply be because Wildy is just simply easy going like that and creatures never really did bug her. From the sound of it, slaughters like Regina's and Kria attacking that fort in the past don't happen as much currently as they might of in the past.

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Lying Foo on October 29, 2012, 04:34:16 PM
...actually, he sort of did, or at least Amber did, by spelling it with one E.

And that gender is male.

wait. what? there's a different way of spelling Fiance for different genders?

if so, i never knew that and i'm a borderline grammar-nazi. so i doubt Amber knows that either. i wouldn't put too much stock into that analysis.

on another note, i didn't really notice the first time he never specified a gender. makes me kinda wonder. usually (in my experience) when people don't specify a gender it means same-sex (i know i do that, i say "significant other" or "mate" rather than boyfriend in public), but that's due to social stigma in our society and i dunno if Furrae has the same stigma we do. so i can't make that assumption until i have more info. maybe Amber can shed some light on that.
however with Jy's apprehension about coming out and coming to terms with HIS sexuality would suggest that the stigma is similar at least.
that could mean a Nite x Jy situation would be possible...
don't know if like more than Jy X Abel...

Alondro

*Charline chews on a Being*  I don't know what the problem is!  We're just natural selection at work!  It's SCIENCE!!  You can't argue with science!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: KiloFoxx on October 30, 2012, 10:57:59 AM

if so, i never knew that and i'm a borderline grammar-nazi. so i doubt Amber knows that either. i wouldn't put too much stock into that analysis.

The OED actually confirms this.  Fiance is male, Fiancee is female.  However it could still be an artifact of Mab lettering the comic at 4AM or something.

Either way, being a gay adventurer must be extremely depressing, because Demons, Angels and 'Cubi all seem to look attractive and sexy as a natural trait, and you end up killing them.

EDIT: Tongue-in-cheek hypothesis - if Nitemyst actually is that way inclined, it may be why he was all "Kill, kill, kill!" when it was Alexsi about to lose her head and "At least I'm trying to find a peaceful solution!" when it was Abel they were up against.

Mao

on another note, i didn't really notice the first time he never specified a gender. makes me kinda wonder. usually (in my experience) when people don't specify a gender it means same-sex (i know i do that, i say "significant other" or "mate" rather than boyfriend in public), but that's due to social stigma in our society and i dunno if Furrae has the same stigma we do. so i can't make that assumption until i have more info. maybe Amber can shed some light on that.

It can also be possible that they don't think it's the business of the other party who or what they prefer to find their companionship is, be it gay, straight or not at all.  I know I tend to use vague terms most of the time (read, outside of my circle of friends) because it really is no one's business either way.

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: joshofspam on October 29, 2012, 03:01:58 PM
Right, so it looks like Nitemyst had the same problem as Dan, i.e. he had a psycho Demon girlfriend who tried to kill all his friends.  And now he figures that 'Cubi act like Demons, which AFAIK isn't normally the case.

I'm actually a little curious on how a Demon fits in with what Pegasus said to Nite about when Nite had second thoughts?

Are we referring to demon as an exact species identification here or a generalized term of any creature with a history of evil deeds?

I'll have to look back into the archives for a few examples, but from what I understand, much of the general public tend to place Cubi under the "Demon" category of Creatures. In addition, it also seems to be more convenient to group Cubi and Demon (the actual race) together under one category. However some people seem to take the effort (at least to a degree) to distinguish the differences between a Cubi and a Demon.

Nite and his party seem to fall under the latter group. They knew that Cubi could read minds (ergo the mind-shield Abel detected when he first met them) and could shape-shift to some extent (hence why Pegasus didn't immediately attack Alexsi until he saw her wings). This shows that they had knowledge on Cubi and how to approach one in combat.

Right now, it's still a bit early to determine how he's using the world "Demon" (in a general sense or as an exact species). We'll need more details (preferably from the massacre at his wedding) to give a definitive answer.

joshofspam

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on October 30, 2012, 07:04:26 PM

I'll have to look back into the archives for a few examples, but from what I understand, much of the general public tend to place Cubi under the "Demon" category of Creatures. In addition, it also seems to be more convenient to group Cubi and Demon (the actual race) together under one category. However some people seem to take the effort (at least to a degree) to distinguish the differences between a Cubi and a Demon.

Nite and his party seem to fall under the latter group. They knew that Cubi could read minds (ergo the mind-shield Abel detected when he first met them) and could shape-shift (hence why Pegasus didn't immediately attack Alexsi). This shows that they had knowledge on Cubi and how to approach one in combat.

Right now though, it's still a bit early to determine how he's using the world "Demon" (in a general sense or as an exact species). We'll need more details (ideally from the massacre at his wedding) to give a definitive answer.

There is something I find interesting to this. It's how similar the scene that happened to Nite seems to be with what happened between Regina and Dan's friends.

I think it was stated in one of the answers page that Young Demons tend to be a bit anxious to prove themselves and do dumb things. So now I'm left to wonder if this is one of those common dumb things that young demons tend to do or has Regina struck at more then the Lost Lake cast Like Tape's suggest might be possible?

Tapewolf

Right now, it's still a bit early to determine how he's using the world "Demon" (in a general sense or as an exact species). We'll need more details (ideally from the massacre at his wedding) to give a definitive answer.

From what Amber has been saying, inside the comic and out, 'Cubi in this day and age don't seem to like killing people very much.  After all, why kill the hand that feeds you?

That is what makes me think it was a Demon.  They are known to instigate massacres to prove their strength to their clan, which is what Regina was trying to do.  While it's quite possible that it was a 'Cubi, it does not sound like typical behaviour.  Even Aniz didn't carry out a wholesale massacre so far as we know.

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 30, 2012, 07:18:49 PM
Right now, it's still a bit early to determine how he's using the world "Demon" (in a general sense or as an exact species). We'll need more details (ideally from the massacre at his wedding) to give a definitive answer.

From what Amber has been saying, inside the comic and out, 'Cubi in this day and age don't seem to like killing people very much.  After all, why kill the hand that feeds you?

That is what makes me think it was a Demon.  They are known to instigate massacres to prove their strength to their clan, which is what Regina was trying to do.  While it's quite possible that it was a 'Cubi, it does not sound like typical behaviour.  Even Aniz didn't carry out a wholesale massacre so far as we know.

You make a good point. Demons do tend to get a bit overambitious to prove their strength/superiority, and have no qualms with random people involved in order to do so. However, there's one thing that unsettles me.

If it was indeed a Demon, why bother putting up a charade to gain someone's trust and make him/her believe you want to marry him/her... only to massacre said someone's family at the wedding? Wouldn't a Demon just forgo any pretense of subtlety and go on a killing spree?  

Tapewolf

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on October 30, 2012, 09:09:00 PM
If it was indeed a Demon, why bother putting up a charade to gain someone's trust and make him/her believe you want to marry him/her... only to massacre said someone's family at the wedding? Wouldn't a Demon just forgo any pretense of subtlety and go on a killing spree?  

It happens.  AFAIK that's what Regina did to Dan.  (Though I'm not sure they were actually engaged)

Amber Williams

GLORIOUS WORD OF GOD

In any event and any situations, exceptions occur and what may be the norm does not always mean 99.9% of the time.

There are Cubi who are perfectly happy being all murder McMurderface. There are demons who like subterfuge.  While there are common trends that the races tend to fall through, just about any is perfectly capable of shucking the trend and doing something all together different.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 31, 2012, 02:04:38 AM
There are Cubi who are perfectly happy being all murder McMurderface.

I deliberately excluded Keaton because she's not completely canon ;-)

EDIT: Though I did wonder about a 'Cubi disguised as a Demon and trying to act like one

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2012, 03:29:47 AM
EDIT: Though I did wonder about a 'Cubi disguised as a Demon and trying to act like one

What was it Kria said to Fa'Lina, way back when? Something about "you could almost be a Demon" or something?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 30, 2012, 02:03:55 PM

The OED actually confirms this.  Fiance is male, Fiancee is female.  However it could still be an artifact of Mab lettering the comic at 4AM or something.

Either way, being a gay adventurer must be extremely depressing, because Demons, Angels and 'Cubi all seem to look attractive and sexy as a natural trait, and you end up killing them.

EDIT: Tongue-in-cheek hypothesis - if Nitemyst actually is that way inclined, it may be why he was all "Kill, kill, kill!" when it was Alexsi about to lose her head and "At least I'm trying to find a peaceful solution!" when it was Abel they were up against.

huh. i really did not know that. i wonder if Amber knew that as well. dosn't change much, but still, it'd be interesting to know now that the possibility has been brought up.

i don't really see what you mean when you say that being a gay adventurer would be depressing. i don't really see how it'd be any different from being a straight adventurer. hell if anything it'd be harder to be straight, if i'm recalling right, there's been more female villains in this comic than males.

i personally believe Nite, gay or otherwise, was "was all "Kill, kill, kill!" when it was Alexsi about to lose her head and "At least I'm trying to find a peaceful solution!" when it was Abel they were up against." because when they were against Alexi they had the element of surprise. when fighting Abel, their cover was completely blown and they were (arguably) at a disadvantage. ESPECIALLY once their caster ran off screaming (i can't recall her name) tactically trying to avoid a fight and regroup was the best decision.

Tapewolf

Quote from: KiloFoxx on October 31, 2012, 11:22:18 AM
huh. i really did not know that. i wonder if Amber knew that as well. dosn't change much, but still, it'd be interesting to know now that the possibility has been brought up.

I wasn't aware of it either.

Quotei don't really see what you mean when you say that being a gay adventurer would be depressing. i don't really see how it'd be any different from being a straight adventurer. hell if anything it'd be harder to be straight, if i'm recalling right, there's been more female villains in this comic than males.

Oh, I thought it was the other way around.  It's probably me channelling Daryil (or the part of me which write him, at any rate).

justacritic

I wonder, when that Mage commented on guys being taken, gay or cubi, what happens to male adventurers? Taken, cubi or a trap?

Angel

Anyone else here ever read the Aesop fable about the Farmer and the Snake?

Also, I think these two will get along swimmingly. But that's just me.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Starcat5

Quote from: Black_angel on November 01, 2012, 01:20:03 AM

Also, I think these two will get along swimmingly. But that's just me.
Not under that name.  Does it end with the snake saying "It is in my nature"? And if so, how is that fable relevant to the subject at paw?
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Angel

Quote from: Starcat5 on November 01, 2012, 01:44:03 AM
Quote from: Black_angel on November 01, 2012, 01:20:03 AM
Not under that name.  Does it end with the snake saying "It is in my nature"? And if so, how is that fable relevant to the subject at paw?

"I know that years back you invited a demon into your house only for her to kill your mother."
The farmer asked "Why did you bite me? I was kind to you." "Ah," the snake replied, "but you knew what I was when you picked me up."

Wildy's interactions with Dan, Aaryanna, Pyroduck, Abel, and even Mab have proven her theory on Creatures wrong. Which is why she trusts them. But most adventurers operate according to the moral of that particular fable.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Shurhaian

The "fiance" thing is actually what drew me here. The word is originally French, fiancé(e). Like many nouns and adjectives in French, it changes from the masculine form to the feminine by the addition of an(other) e. Some words change in other ways to support this - blanc (white) becomes blanche, brunet (male with brown hair) with a silent t becomes brunette (female with brown hair) with a hard tt, and so on. But this one, like many, would show no difference at all in speech even if they were talking in French, rather than using an import.

If Furrae has something similar, this could be a way in which Significant Truths get dropped without actually tipping Wildy off to this fact... until and unless she does some reciprocal background-checking.

I notice that speculation along these lines has not been quashed by Word of Amber, despite her making an appearance here. Hmmm...

Ah well. It could still be a simple error, but if not, if that form of the word was deliberately chosen, I rather like how he's not making a point of it. (After all, there are far more important matters at hand.)