Merch Chat! (Opinions wanted)

Started by Amber Williams, March 21, 2012, 01:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Alrighty boys and girls...the air is warming up and the con seasons are beginning to make their schemes and I've been informed that the online store will live again soon.  (Though to be fair, the poor mercantile overlords have been up to their ears in real-life busy this past year and their lives take a bit of priority over merch selling.)  That said, it's about time for me to make plans to make a small bushel of things for possible selling.

I figure the thing to ask is what would you guys be interested in getting?  Particularly in exchange for your sweet delicious money. :U

So far I had in mind was:
New shirt design.  I'm open to suggestions if there is an overwhelming call for a particular character.  I have a couple ideas but mostly the thing to keep in mind is a design that looks nice but also if a random non-DMFA reader was to see it on the street, they would think it's a nice shirt.  Keep in mind colour costs though. The more colours on a shirt, the more likely it will be difficult to print cheaply.
Tote Bag:  Because they are useful. :U
Print:    If I do a print, it will probably be very limited in numbers.

That said, there are several things which one could technically stick images on. Coffee Mugs, notebook covers, what have you.  The main thing I try to keep in mind with merch is usefulness. I tend to prefer stuff that can be used or does more than just catch dust in a folder somewhere.

Stuff in the future I had planned was a mixed drinks recipe book. (complete with pictures) and probably the return of the calendar.(Attempt 3!)  But both of those will take some time so likely not gonna happen in the immediate future.   As mentioned many times before, doing a print run of the comic itself is not really an option.  From both the death of the high-res originals to the fact that there are several parts that would have to be removed outright. (Why hello thar pokemon arc)  That said, a cd compilation has been discussed.

So opinions, suggestions, what have you.  Give zem to meeee.  :eager

Tapewolf

I would be interested in a retread of the earlier proposed calendar with the different races, or something along those lines.  I'm not sure that one ever went into print.

This one:
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_October.jpg

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

character shirts! I'd enjoy a Abel shirt :3

(credit: Gabi)

justacritic

*sigh* It's at times like these I wish certain authors and artists had more resources so they are able to provide more merch to profit themselves.
"I would kill for an Abel plushie, you know something small like a carrot but not spiders they're icky."

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 21, 2012, 01:22:17 PM
I would be interested in a retread of the earlier proposed calendar with the different races, or something along those lines.  I'm not sure that one ever went into print.

This one:
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_October.jpg

I'm with Tapewolf on this one.  I'd be most interested in a calendar with factoids about all the creature races in the DMFA universe.

I especially like this page, since it shows off the natural dragon anatomy, limb proportions, and their digitigrade leg structure:
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_March.jpg
An image of a dragon in an upright bipedal stance (if they are capable of assuming that position in full form) would probably be a better anatomical reference than all the dragon appearances in the comic so far combined.

But I digress, all of those calendar pages in http://www.missmab.com/graphics look really cool and it would be great to see Amber do a new calendar that's just as vibrant as that one, if not more so.

As for T-shirts, it would be cool to see one with both of Pyroduck's forms side-by-side to really show the proportional difference, even if Pyroduck's dragon form ends up taking up most of the T-shirt so that his being form can be large enough to be noticeable and detailed. :P  Maybe striking a cool pose or something, I don't know, or a joke about his time travelling and fourth wall breaking.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on March 21, 2012, 02:57:14 PM
character shirts! I'd enjoy a Abel shirt :3

A year or so ago, there was a run of shirts like the one Josh was wearing in my comic:
http://project-future.org/stuff/things/pf162_4b-50.png

I don't seem to have a photo of it, but I do have one showing the Kria and Fi shirts:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/con/ac11/SDC19000.jpg

Plotting

One thing I would like to see would be a book which collects most of the background fluff for the DMFA world. Sort of like a general guide to the world, its races, places, cultures, etc.

It would be particually interesting to see suck a book written like it actually existed in the DMFA world. And if Amber referenced the book in the comic - egad! What a mind screw! :D

Mao

I'm curious about the tote bag.  I don't know what I'd want on it, but if it's not too crazy I'd get one.  Oh!  Or a satchel.  I love satchels.

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Sofox

Hmmm, I personally like simple and iconic, even abstract, stuff on shirts. That's why I bought the Fi, Able and Sanity shirts, but not Kira. Also the CVRPG bunny shirt (even though I don't read CVRPG), and the Ozzy and Millie shirt that was nothing more than the tails of the primary characters arranged in a Yin Yang-esque symbol. I tend to be a little picky when it comes to the precise design used.

I'm up for buying another shirt. I'm more a backpack person than tote bag, but would probably buy one anyway, hang it up in our small hallway, and then find Mum arriving home one day having put the shopping in a bag with Jyras's face on it or something.

Prints are fine, though I prefer posters I can put up on my wall (actually, is there a difference? Seriously?)

If I may suggest something along the lines of "Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal", a while back the guys at Dreamkeepers started selling sketchbooks. From what I remember, they sold pretty well and I doubt you'll have a shortage of people looking for sketchbooks at Anthrocon.

And now that you mention it, DMFA coffee mugs would be pretty nice even if they are a bit fragile both for you to bring to the con, and customers to take home.. I had a Segaworld mug once and loved it. You don't get much mug mechandise in my experience so it's easier to stand out.

Tapewolf

Viking ZX

A CD compilation! Or a digital booklet, I'd be down for either!

A print or a poster wouldn't be a bad idea either, depending on what/who it's of. A cast group shot could probably work pretty well.
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Ghostwish

Oh, shirts! Definitely shirts. Although I'm really liking Tapewolf's call for calenders too.

Rakyth

Something to be used?

Are plates out of the question?

AmberCross

Okay, while I am unlikely to buy anything (since I won't be at the con), I can suggest a few ideas. I get the feeling that several people would be interested in headband head-wings if you can figure out how to do that easily.

A better idea however is mow plushes. They're small, they're cute, they represent the comic, and they're the kind of thing someone just might want to buy even if they don't really know what they are.

I also hear that shirts with wings on the back are somewhat popular these days, such as these: Butterfly, Angel, and Demon. You could probably do that with a hoodie also to get in headwings if you think that would pull in more customers.

Hopefully one or two of these ideas helps.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on March 23, 2012, 04:08:27 AM
Okay, while I am unlikely to buy anything (since I won't be at the con), I can suggest a few ideas. I get the feeling that several people would be interested in headband head-wings if you can figure out how to do that easily.

I believe Kimmy is looking at making some, actually:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,8618.0.html

EDIT:  The big snag with headwings is that people would expect a lot of variety - many different colours and three different shapes (Demon, Angel, Abel).  AFAIK Kimmy is mostly doing his on a preorder basis...

Quote from: Rakyth on March 23, 2012, 02:38:19 AM
Something to be used?

I dunno how well they'd work for people who fly to and from the convention.  Packing them to avoid being broken could be tricky.

Inumo

Like AmberCross I can't make it to AnthroCon, but if whatever product results is available online as well, I would totally pay for a big messenger bag of some sort. Something that can fit my 14.6"x10.1" laptop. >.>

Ross

I'll chime in my vote that a calendar would be cool.

I've always been partial to shirts with a little title on the front and something larger on the back.  I think it'd be neat to have one with the center panel's shot of Dan from comic 939 (http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_939.php).  Always liked that one.

Prints are always neat too.

Quote from: Rakyth on March 23, 2012, 02:38:19 AM
For some reason that made me think of an Ice Cream bowl with Kira yelling "FEED ME!" on it   :) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ross on March 23, 2012, 10:46:15 AM
    I've always been partial to shirts with a little title on the front and something larger on the back.  I think it'd be neat to have one with the center panel's shot of Dan from comic 939 (http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_939.php).  Always liked that one.

Oh, I would absolutely go for a shirt with that on it.  It would probably need a redraw to dock the colours down and because he has no hand or wingtips, but it would be very awesome.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm _wearing_ the Fi shirt. I support more shirts.

I suspect the sketchbooks would be a good idea. And I secondthird Ross's suggestion of Dan's Crowning Moment Of Awesome shirt.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

I figure I'd ramble out some stuff.

In regards to the calendars:  I was actually considering doing the theme of the Cubi Clan Leaders for the next Calendar set.  That or just the various cast doing random acts of tomfoolery.   I tend to see Calendars as a practical print-set. 

Shirts: I do concur that it is probably Dan's time to shine when it comes to a shirt. And I'll be looking into a way to make the suggested design a practical reality.

Tote Bag:  I'm still working on the sizes and stuff. Mostly like calendars, I like the idea of something useful. And goodness knows in Canada we make use of our canvas and tote bags.   There is also looking into messenger bags.

Mug: I actually have thought about mugs a while and usually its the design part that gets me.

Mow plushes;  The biggest drawback to these is, as one can guess, the costs it would take to produce them.  Most places would require a minimum about to be made via bulk, and all my previous looking into on the matter tends to put the costs at about 3k to get a batch done.  So it would either take a lot of pre-orders, or an investment on my part.  :/

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's a hell of an investment. :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ignuus66

How about clan mark shirts? they should be reasonably simple to make...

(credit: Gabi)

Viking ZX

Why not a kickstarter for the Mow plush? I'd shell in for one! Maybe two (they'd make a good gift).

+1 for the clan symbol T-shirts idea.
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Arcblade

Were clan-mark temporary tattoos mentioned / already in the store at some point?  

VAE

Hmm, as always I come late.

Callendars seem like a neat idea, either races or clan leaders, as do mugs (though I have little idea how well would one survive a transport into the UK or further)
Silly idea: Mug with Abel texture and "Cubi can shapeshift you MORON." on the bottom?

As for shirts, I would really love a Destania -themed one.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: VAE on March 24, 2012, 05:37:21 PM
Callendars seem like a neat idea, either races or clan leaders, as do mugs (though I have little idea how well would one survive a transport into the UK or further)

The hyper-expensive Pittsburgh souvenir mug I bought for the Tea Party one year made it back intact.  IIRC I wrapped it in many shirts and stuck it inside a box of some kind.  It can be done, but it might have been a fluke of course.

And I'm not sure it's too late yet...

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 24, 2012, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: VAE on March 24, 2012, 05:37:21 PM

The hyper-expensive Pittsburgh souvenir mug I bought for the Tea Party one year made it back intact.  IIRC I wrapped it in many shirts and stuck it inside a box of some kind.  It can be done, but it might have been a fluke of course.

And I'm not sure it's too late yet...

Thing is, if I got any it'd have to be through FedEx/whatever mail service Damaris uses for shipping, and their methods of transport are most likely rougher.
Though... this is suspiciously looking like the story about the dumb farmhand and a hare - there aren't any mugs even yet, so inventing transport methods is a bit silly.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: VAE on March 24, 2012, 06:12:37 PM
Thing is, if I got any it'd have to be through FedEx/whatever mail service Damaris uses for shipping, and their methods of transport are most likely rougher.

Ah, I thought you were talking about flying into AC, or persuading me to try and bring one back on your behalf like llearch does.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Ignuus66 on March 23, 2012, 04:29:08 PM
How about clan mark shirts? they should be reasonably simple to make...

Make that +2  :mowhappy
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf