Merch Chat! (Opinions wanted)

Started by Amber Williams, March 21, 2012, 01:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: D'ymkarra on March 24, 2012, 08:57:58 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on March 23, 2012, 04:29:08 PM
How about clan mark shirts? they should be reasonably simple to make...

Make that +2  :mowhappy

Which markings, though?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Make that +2  :mowhappy

This might be asking a bit too much, but if they would have the clan symbol on one side and a picture of the leader of that clan on the other, then you have +3.
I wouldn't mind very much if T-shirts had the same pictures of the clan leaders that were used in the clan leader arc in demonology, with their colors "docked" and whatever other adjustments would need to be made to get them onto a T-shirt.

I also like the idea of a clan leader calendar, but for that I'd definitely want to see some new pictures of the clan leaders in different poses and possibly with different attire.

Mugs would sort of nice, since I usually keep pencils and such in them, but I agree that it is hard to come up with designs small enough to fit on them.  Perhaps you could put the clan symbols on mugs.

Finally, as long as it's large enough to hold a 18" laptop (and/or a portable flatbed scanner) and has additional compartments for the power cord and other accessories, I'd also be interested in a satchel/tote/messenger bag.

Icon by Sunblink

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 24, 2012, 06:50:30 PM
Quote from: VAE on March 24, 2012, 06:12:37 PM
Thing is, if I got any it'd have to be through FedEx/whatever mail service Damaris uses for shipping, and their methods of transport are most likely rougher.

Ah, I thought you were talking about flying into AC, or persuading me to try and bring one back on your behalf like llearch does.
*curiouslynx is curious*
Now, where did I leave my cap of persuasion?
Seriously though, if the mugs ever come to light, that would be a thing to consider. Thanks in advance for even suggesting it.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Merlin

Quote from: VAE on March 24, 2012, 06:12:37 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 24, 2012, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: VAE on March 24, 2012, 05:37:21 PM
Callendars seem like a neat idea, either races or clan leaders, as do mugs (though I have little idea how well would one survive a transport into the UK or further)

The hyper-expensive Pittsburgh souvenir mug I bought for the Tea Party one year made it back intact.  IIRC I wrapped it in many shirts and stuck it inside a box of some kind.  It can be done, but it might have been a fluke of course.

And I'm not sure it's too late yet...

Thing is, if I got any it'd have to be through FedEx/whatever mail service Damaris uses for shipping, and their methods of transport are most likely rougher.
Though... this is suspiciously looking like the story about the dumb farmhand and a hare - there aren't any mugs even yet, so inventing transport methods is a bit silly.

I dunno, I shipped a fancy teapot from Canada to Australia last year just going standard Canada Post. I was kind of worried it'd break, but it arrived no problems. As long as the packing's fine, you'll be right. Just needs some sort of thick stiff foam to keep it from knocking about in its box, I find.

A clan leader calendar would be very cool, but I'm very partial to the idea of larger clan leader prints or something similar. But the calendar does totally work like a series of smaller prints, which is also nice.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 24, 2012, 09:22:03 PM

Make that +2  :mowhappy

Which markings, though?

Well, Cyra would be a gimme..Dimanika, Fa'Lina, Taun, and Zezzuva seem to have a loyal following as well (I'd love to see Clan Siar, but I'm biased  :P ); I'm not sure how many you could get away with, and still have them be practical to produce.
- Possibly break them up into 'runs' ; of maybe 3-4 at a time (so all the leaders are represented eventually; you could take preorders), and keep the most popular ones for the online store..
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

ChaosMageX

What would also be really cool is if Amber could put a QR code for comic's URL into her merchandise as well.

For instance, this is a version 1-Q code for the 11 character URL missmab.com:

I think the Q means that 25% of it could be clipped away to turn it into a non-square shape, or that 25% of it could be covered with images, and it would still be readable, which leaves a lot of leeway for stylizing it.  I also believe that the key alignment squares in the corners could be turned into circular targets and it would still be readable, and since the central part of the Cyra clan symbol is a target, that does open up some possibilities.

Heck, she could just stick it onto a sign at her booth at AnthroCon so that anyone walking by with a smartphone and a QR reading application could quickly get a look at the comic.  Wouldn't that be cool? >:3

There are even ways you can use javascript and/or PHP to recognize when your site is being accessed from a smartphone browser so that you can make a mobile-friendly version of your website that loads up automatically, like when it's loaded from a QR code.

Icon by Sunblink

Sunblink

Clan mark merch in general would be really awesome. Maybe "Honorary [clan mark here] Member" buttons or something like that? Just throwing out ideas.

Anything with chibis like the one of Abel squeezing that marshmallow would be adorable and amazing.

Inumo

Quote from: Sunblink on March 28, 2012, 02:12:21 PM
Anything with chibis like the one of Abel squeezing that marshmallow would be adorable and amazing.

How could I forget about this?

Ignuus66

A mug with abel and :shapeshifters on it! ( I do like my mugs)

(credit: Gabi)

littlekreen

As I'm standing in front of the Kornit... I'm amazed this thing came out as well as it did. Had to pull from bio page and the image above me which are about the size of a postage stamp on this printer and had to convert from online tools. both need art repair to be printed on this tho as you can see the masking on the above image is broken and the bio image has some alpha issues I think. I need to get my hands on some higher res art but I think I'd have to just fab some myself at the DPI I need for a decent print.

still, perks of working at a DTG... neener neener!  :mwaha

Beezle Bub

I'd want a Tee of Dan and matilda. I unfourtunatly won't be able to go either (no passport) but I'd be happy to order one from the store, or special order one.
Just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's sane

Viaxeiro

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 23, 2012, 03:44:01 PM
I figure I'd ramble out some stuff.

In regards to the calendars:  I was actually considering doing the theme of the Cubi Clan Leaders for the next Calendar set.  That or just the various cast doing random acts of tomfoolery.   I tend to see Calendars as a practical print-set. 

Male and Female pinup Calenders? But under duress. a touch of humour from Jy not having to even try to be adorable, Abel just not caring, Alexsi brobably breaking something, Like the cameraman.

So, Cast calenders, but themed. and then the characters own personal feelings towards that theme.