11/17/2011 [PF #192] The more things change the more things stay the same

Started by justacritic, November 17, 2011, 09:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justacritic

Really now, improper grammar with new technology always seems to occur, take the telegraph, all those stops  :mowdizzy

joshofspam

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Kipiru

Merlin

Raskahn

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on November 18, 2011, 03:26:20 AM
Come on, Tapewolf! The fans are dying to know. <>:3>

1.  Not sure

2. The poster was asking for their future to be told.  This being about 16 years ago now, it's entirely possible that the poster did eventually learn to make games like Doom, but I'm not honestly hopeful for their chances.  To be sure, I wouldn't be able to do it without using a 3rd-party library to handle the rendering side because I never did get the hang of 3D.  (Though I had written 2D platform games essentially from scratch including a graphics library written mostly in assembler by the time that post had been made).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

justacritic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Does the poster know about your comic? And where did the poster learn Inglesh?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on November 18, 2011, 03:30:19 PM
Does the poster know about your comic? And where did the poster learn Inglesh?

If you're curious, most of the original thread is still on Google Groups.  It was titled "Can i make game" and was posted on Nov 15 1995 in rec.games.programmer and also cross-posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action where it didn't get any replies at all.
The reply where someone claimed that the poster themselves was a bug which would be fixed in the next release doesn't seem to be in the archives.

The original poster appears to have been from Thailand so perhaps taking the mick out of the phrasing of their question is a little below the belt.  However, when all is said and done there is a fundamental disconnect from reality in that someone who knows C and/or C++ is either going to know enough to start building a game (irrespective of whether they succeed) or they will know they don't know where to begin.  Asking a complete stranger if you know enough to achieve a task is... well, strange.

Aside from a Thai language post, the only other known query from this person was another post on comp.os.netware.misc the following January, enquiring about writing a card game on Netware.  While it was slightly better in terms that they were this time asking where to find programming information about Netware, they still seem to have problems either expressing or understanding the task at hand.
It is not clear from the question whether they are asking for information about adding IPX network support to a card game, or whether - as the question seems to imply - they were asking how to make a card game in the first place.

help me about game on netware

Hello anyone
     I am problem .
     first is
     How can i write card game on netware ?
     second is
     where do i get information about programming <c or c++> <netware>

Who can hepl me please send E-mail to me .
Thank you very much for your help.

EDIT:

Oh, and Jassada Takulkunati... if you're reading this somehow, my apologies... your thread has kept me entertained for many a year.

Ellian

Lore

Tapewolf

Quote from: Spooks on November 20, 2011, 02:50:45 PM
I think it would have been easier to just give them the link. ;)

I thought it would be harder, because when I was looking for it, it required a Google login.

AmigaDragon

The question reminded me of a character (I don't remember who or where now) that had lost previous knowledge when learning new stuff. Perhaps the reader forgot how to communicate in english when they learned C++. :mowhappy
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

LionHeart

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 21, 2011, 10:14:45 AM
The question reminded me of a character (I don't remember who or where now) that had lost previous knowledge when learning new stuff. Perhaps the reader forgot how to communicate in english when they learned C++. :mowhappy
Sounds rather like Dover the Cheetah, from the Suburban Jungle. He spent so long talking in programming code that he lost the ability to speak English...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity