TRON Legacy

Started by Kipiru, December 21, 2010, 12:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipiru

I just saw TRON Legacy in 3D. (POSSIBLE SPOLER WARNING)And first the good stuff: the movie's visuals are incredible, the movie is well paced and doesn't get boring and the best of all is the mindblowing OST by Daft Punk. And here comes the downer: having seen the old movie I couldn't shake the feeling of deja vu about the whole picture. Legacy is just about as close to a frame per frame with the 82'Tron as it can get without actually releasing the same movie with better graphics. Still I think it's a great fun picture and a must see in 3D.

Joe3210

Tron was a great film.  The only downside was the theater turning the bass up way too high.  My ears was actually hurting by the end of it.
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

GabrielsThoughts

Tron was an okay film... True Grit had a stupid ending. That is all I have to say on the matter. The logic problems of Tron are  sort of obvious. Especially, if the programer God has infinite power over "everything in the universe," that he created, and does nothing with that power except take care of the one thing he didn't create.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Kipiru

Noone

TRON certainly has it's fair share of infamy in the computer graphics realm. While the visuals of the original were state of the art (for it's time), the graphics were nice, and the special effects fantastic, it all came at the expense of plot and a solid story to hold the movie together. It's infamy comes from the whole complaint that special effects and computer graphics essentially replaced the story and plot, which is a recipe for a disaster, not a good movie. I suppose that's what happens when programmers get together and make a movie.

The movie did have it's upsides, such as expanding the algorithms and techniques used in computer animation and graphic design. On the flip side, it made people skeptical in further production of animated films, at least until Toy Story came along anyway.

I haven't seen TRON Legacy, though from what it sounds like, I'm not sure if it will be a good movie, simply because it would be trying to build upon shaky foundations. Also, at this point, I'm not sure what else could be added to computer graphics methodology that couldn't be explored through other means, but I suppose imagination is the limit as far as that is concerned. I figure it might play similarly to a Michael Bay movie though.

Kipiru

Quote from: The1Kobra on January 03, 2011, 02:19:37 PM
I haven't seen TRON Legacy, though from what it sounds like, I'm not sure if it will be a good movie, simply because it would be trying to build upon shaky foundations. Also, at this point, I'm not sure what else could be added to computer graphics methodology that couldn't be explored through other means, but I suppose imagination is the limit as far as that is concerned. I figure it might play similarly to a Michael Bay movie though.

Well it's kind of like this: if you liked the original movie, you will either like this one very much, because it is essentially the same movie, or hate it for being essentially the same movie. Thing is, most people I know who have never heard of the previous Tron and have little interest in video games, liked it very much. So as it stands this time around Tron managed to actually present itself better to a wider scope of people, rather that the first movie which was understandable at the time only to a small few. And no, it never goes over the top like a Michael Bay movie.

joshofspam

Looks like I'll have to look that movie up.

Though if it doesn't have a Bit in it I'll probably won't like. It will take a lot of light cycle crashes to compensate for missing one of my favorite characters from the first one. The simple Yes and No was very endearing to me.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.