Tron Legacy Trailer

Started by ShadesFox, March 09, 2010, 05:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadesFox

As found on the internets: http://www.program-glitch-esc.net/

I am conflicted.  On the one hand, there is a high potential to just ruin Tron.  On the other hand... Tron with modern graphics... squee...
The All Purpose Fox

Zedd

The trailer is epically tasty

Darkmoon

So far it actually looks pretty good. If nothing else, it's got a good ambiance to it.

Of course, it is Disney. There's always the potential they can screw it up (especially in their sequels).
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Netrogo

It's going to feel completely different from Tron. Which means die hard original fans are going to hate it no matter what, whereas people who aren't that into the first may actually enjoy it. My prime example for this is the recent Star Trek film. My trekkie friends seem to hate it, but I (not a trekkie) enjoyed it.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Netrogo on March 10, 2010, 05:00:02 PM
It's going to feel completely different from Tron. Which means die hard original fans are going to hate it no matter what, whereas people who aren't that into the first may actually enjoy it. My prime example for this is the recent Star Trek film. My trekkie friends seem to hate it, but I (not a trekkie) enjoyed it.

Besides the geek quotient, Tron was fascinating for its CGI internal computer stylings. Now we have CGI in every movie ever. It's just not the same.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Keleth

The point being though, most CGI is trying to be realistic to the point of "I can't tell if that was done on set, or on a computer"

Tron is different where it -plainly- shows "Hi, I am a video game/Computer Network". It's a difference of what they are trying to accomplish o-o

Tsk, If I catch these things. . . there's no reason why you shouldn't :<
Help! I'm gay!

superluser

Quote from: Netrogo on March 10, 2010, 05:00:02 PMIt's going to feel completely different from Tron. Which means die hard original fans are going to hate it no matter what, whereas people who aren't that into the first may actually enjoy it. My prime example for this is the recent Star Trek film. My trekkie friends seem to hate it, but I (not a trekkie) enjoyed it.

It's going to be difficult for me to hate Tron Legacy.  I hated the plot and characters from Tron, but I still liked the film.  I think I'll like this one, too.  If Jeff Bridges drinks a White Russian or two, I will be a very happy viewer.

I'm also a Star Trek fan (sort of) who liked the Star Trek movie.  I say sort of because I liked TOS and VOY but hated TNG with a passion, which seems to make most trekkie heads explode.

Quote from: Drathorin on March 10, 2010, 10:11:36 PMThe point being though, most CGI is trying to be realistic to the point of "I can't tell if that was done on set, or on a computer"

Pixar would disagree with you.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Darkmoon

I'm a fan of Trek, just about all the series, and I really enjoyed the reboot.

I think what surprised me about Tron Legacy's trailer was that it looked like they used _less_ CGI than the original movie. That alone is noteworthy.

superluser

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on March 10, 2010, 11:12:44 PMI think what surprised me about Tron Legacy's trailer was that it looked like they used _less_ CGI than the original movie. That alone is noteworthy.

I thought Tron didn't actually use that much CG.  Last Starfighter was the first one where CG was used for all the special effects.  Tron just had a few scenes with CG.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Darkmoon

True... but the original had a very CGI feel. This feels less so...

ooklah

I'm looking forward to this movie. The plot could be as weak as the first one, and I'll probably not care.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Kipiru

I don't think it's fair to compare the upcoming movie with the original on the basis of special effects- Legacy seems to me to perfectly follow up on the idea of a world existing within the computer itself and utilises all modern CGI has to offer.

ooklah

I wasn't actually comparing it to the old one...much... I was more basing it off of that Disney tends to ruin with sequels with horribly weak plot. And this (if you want to believe it or not) is a Disney sequel.

Regardless, I'm still very much looking forward to this movie. I have more reasons, but I am dis-allowed to speak of those reasons.  >:3
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."