02/27/10 [DMFA #1092] Pip the psychiatrist

Started by Madd the Sane, February 27, 2010, 06:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

Huh, so Pip does speak Common. There goes my theory :(
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Garsemor

Yay more Pip talk. I like his smile, we don't usually get to see a smiling pip. It's going to be an interesting conversation between a sarcastic lowner and a silant Dan muncher.

Naldru

This reminds me of a Dungeons and Dragons type series that was aired many years ago.  The protagonist was talking to his sidekick, who had the ability to talk to animals.

Protagonist:  How is it that you can talk to animals?

Sidekick:  It's just a gift.

Protagonist:  Oh.

Sidekick:  Yes, my uncle, the wizard, gave it to me when I was twelve.

I guess that Pip's ability to speak is the same kind of gift.

Edit:

I think that it was Wizards and Warriors (CBS, 1983)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Sind

And there the Morgan freeman voice went away =/

Also, Pip seems to know about Abel, then again he's friend with a Fae

Feather Dancer

I'm finding it interesting he knows Abel's last name given how much I doubt he'd have mentioned it.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Feather Dancer on February 27, 2010, 06:14:30 AM
I'm finding it interesting he knows Abel's last name given how much I doubt he'd have mentioned it.
More than that, he knows Abel's personality and some of his history, by the looks.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LigerJet

I have a theory but it's totally insane and I'm not gonna say what it is. :O

Dard

When I first read it through I thought something was strange about the dialogue.

It took me a couple of minutes to realize it was that Pip knows Abel's last name.
It has never been mentioned in the main story, and I see no reason to assume that it was used off-panel.

Now, looking through Abel's personality enough to come up with that reply should be difficult, but where does Pip know that name from???

Shachza

Quote from: Dard on February 27, 2010, 07:15:32 AM
When I first read it through I thought something was strange about the dialogue.

It took me a couple of minutes to realize it was that Pip knows Abel's last name.
It has never been mentioned in the main story, and I see no reason to assume that it was used off-panel.

Now, looking through Abel's personality enough to come up with that reply should be difficult, but where does Pip know that name from???

Pip's sarcasm does seem familiar...  I'm beginning to put more stock in this being a dream sequence.  With Fa'lina disguised as Pip. :eek
            <-- #1 that is!

Sind

Quote from: Dard on February 27, 2010, 07:15:32 AMNow, looking through Abel's personality enough to come up with that reply should be difficult, but where does Pip know that name from???
He's friends with Fae...
You know how unpredictable those can be  >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shachza on February 27, 2010, 07:16:25 AM
Pip's sarcasm does seem familiar...  I'm beginning to put more stock in this being a dream sequence.  With Fa'lina disguised as Pip. :eek

I don't think Abel can dream, though.

Quote from: LigerJet on February 27, 2010, 07:12:26 AM
I have a theory but it's totally insane and I'm not gonna say what it is. :O

What's really weird is that the last panel reminds me of Devin.  I'm sure that's a coincidence, though.

Feather Dancer

Having a think about it I wonder if this has anything to do with Fa'Lina's "Old/New" friend comment regarding Mab... Though that would imply they have spoken in the last near 300 years though for some reason brain has decided they they haven't for a far longer period. As of right now however thats the only possability I'm wrangling up given Abel's preference to keep personal history quiet.

But then we don't really know what Mab has gotten up to in the past let alone where Pip has been and potentially eavesdropped. That I assume might be why my brain seems to think null theory but eh  :<

LigerJet

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2010, 07:26:13 AMWhat's really weird is that the last panel reminds me of Devin.  I'm sure that's a coincidence, though.

You totally stole my thought, dude. D:

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on February 27, 2010, 09:40:43 AM
Is it possible that Pip can read and took a look at Abel's resume?

Nice catch.  It makes sense from the Occam's Razor point of view, but I'm not sure that would quite explain how Pip expected his attitude.  You don't usually put things like that on your CV :P

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Feather Dancer on February 27, 2010, 07:34:10 AM
Having a think about it I wonder if this has anything to do with Fa'Lina's "Old/New" friend comment regarding Mab...

Agreed...We don't yet have enough backstory on Mab/ Fa'Lina or Mab/ Pip to know how they all relate to one another; we only know they've been friends for a long time, possibly since or even before the Cubi/ Dragon war itself. The one thing we have learned here, is that he picked up common speak from hanging with Mab all those years.

I'm guessing with them being the old friends they are, Fa'Lina may have filled Mab in on a few things about Abel's past when they 'rescued' Dan from SAIA, and Pip was party to the conversation.

Either way, I have a feeling Pip is going to give Abel a lot to think about  :mowcookie
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

PetFriendAmy

My first thought when I noticed that Pip knows Abel's last name was "can drakes read minds...?"

Y'know, just another theory to throw into the mix. XD My other theory is that, since we don't know exactly how old Pip is, it's entirely possible that he was around when the whole Aniz thing at Zinvth happened... and maybe he heard of Abel from then? *shrug*

Lucheek

Oh my goodness. It's like Pip is the second Abel. @_@

Also, dang it Amber! I just got Dr.Mario with Lyrics out of my head and now it's back!

Sunblink

Huh, I wasn't expecting for Pip to know Abel's last name either. This is going to be an interesting conversation. >:3

I guess Drakes aren't that related to Dragons, seeing as Abel doesn't seem to mind the fact he's around the Inn.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2010, 09:56:38 AM

Nice catch.  It makes sense from the Occam's Razor point of view, but I'm not sure that would quite explain how Pip expected his attitude.  You don't usually put things like that on your CV :P

"Total asshole. Does not work well with others. Sucker-punches people on impulse, attending mandatory bi-weekly psychiatric appointments to treat urges after I concussed your brother."

Howl

I have a feeling this is going to lead to Devin.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2010, 09:56:38 AM

Nice catch.  It makes sense from the Occam's Razor point of view, but I'm not sure that would quite explain how Pip expected his attitude.  You don't usually put things like that on your CV :P

It's not hard to guess at what Abel's personality is by now, it's not like he just showed up. They've had enough time to see who he is, at least his surface personality.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Dard

Quote from: PetFriendAmy on February 27, 2010, 10:14:06 AMMy other theory is that, since we don't know exactly how old Pip is, it's entirely possible that he was around when the whole Aniz thing at Zinvth happened... and maybe he heard of Abel from then? *shrug*
According to his cast page he is 16 years old.

Feather Dancer

Quote from: Dard on February 27, 2010, 10:50:01 AM
Quote from: PetFriendAmy on February 27, 2010, 10:14:06 AMMy other theory is that, since we don't know exactly how old Pip is, it's entirely possible that he was around when the whole Aniz thing at Zinvth happened... and maybe he heard of Abel from then? *shrug*

"Ah I see you still have the ankle biter with you." from Azlan ages ago (H-Ann arc) but admittedly I assumed the Nutmeg/leaving fisaco was much later than the past couple decades (Or maybe it was? I can't remember a time at the top of my head). I swear there's always something throwing a spanner in the works of theories, but then thats what makes them so fun.

Scrap Fish

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 27, 2010, 10:33:37 AM
"Total asshole. Does not work well with others. Sucker-punches people on impulse, attending mandatory bi-weekly psychiatric appointments to treat urges after I concussed your brother."
That sounds to be more qualifications to be a bouncer than a barkeep.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

Caswin

I really, really like Pip's smile.  It made me laugh well before I got to the end.

Then I got to the end and I already like Talking Pip, like, twice as much.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

D'ymkarra

'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

A. Lurker

Quote from: Dard on February 27, 2010, 10:50:01 AM

Of course, Fae 'non-linearity' may make that statement a bit ambiguous (even if Pip isn't a Fae himself, he does seem to spend most of his time accompanying Mab). Are those sixteen years the time he's actually lived through, subjectively, or just the time that has passed between his hatching day and the 'now' of the story, just for starters...? :mowdizzy

jeffh4

Is the spelling of Drake as "Draik" considered an alternate or "insider" spelling or is this a typo?

I just have to let this trope out of the bag now. . . . ."Look in your heart, Abel Rewanz! I AM YOUR FATHER!"  "NNOOOOOOO! Wait. You've lost weight, dad!"  :)

Janus Whitefurr

.... Sigh.

My first impression on seeing the comic: Pip looks like a smug jerkass.

My second impression: Nope, Abel's not allowed to have a nice time like everyone else.

My -third- impression: If Pip gets to psychoanalyse Abel and offers 'wisdom', I'm going to bite someone.

...I think I'm bitter he didn't get a nice night.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Arcblade

Ehehe.  Pip talks.  Gleeee! 

So Pip can be serious and worried (if only for Mab's sake) and bitingly sarcastic.  Let's see where this goes!

Also, here's hoping the plague leaves Amber alone soon.  Sad Ambers make sad Arcblades.