02/15/10 [Clans #8] - Dimanika the... weird

Started by Sind, February 15, 2010, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sind

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 16, 2010, 03:10:37 PM
That doesn't have to be shadows, it could be silhouette from being back-lit.

Course, it could also simply be a color-shifting, but that would be too boring =P

And another explanation, a very unlikely though awesome-sounding one, would be that she's covering herself with her own shadow  =o

Ether way, it did manage to confuse us so I guess it's mission accomplished XD

Naldru

Quote from: jeffh4 on February 17, 2010, 03:16:28 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2010, 03:53:58 PM
Quote from: jeffh4 on February 16, 2010, 03:48:56 PM
Why was this delightful to her? Because it would promote confusion, of course!

Or, because they're mostly pacifistic...
If that were the case, they would have not given the 5 children to incensed individuals.  Four of these parties presumably killed said children in unspeakable ways.  The Dimanika clan passed up their opportunity for a peaceful solution such as the one Fa'Lina chose.
The page for the clan leader said that they suspended the "no killing" rule during the Dragon-Cubi war but reinstated it afterward.  Pacifism and rules against killing range over quite a spectrum.  The fact that they allowed killing during the war doesn't mean that they didn't prefer to serve in other ways.  Some individuals who do not believe in fighting have served as medics or bomb clearing experts, which is still dangerous and supporting the war effort.  Some of the distinctions may seem artificial but they are often very real to the people involved.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

jeffh4

Quote from: Naldru on February 17, 2010, 09:54:43 AM

If that were the case, they would have not given the 5 children to incensed individuals.  Four of these parties presumably killed said children in unspeakable ways.  The Dimanika clan passed up their opportunity for a peaceful solution such as the one Fa'Lina chose.
The page for the clan leader said that they suspended the "no killing" rule during the Dragon-Cubi war but reinstated it afterward.  Pacifism and rules against killing range over quite a spectrum.  The fact that they allowed killing during the war doesn't mean that they didn't prefer to serve in other ways.  Some individuals who do not believe in fighting have served as medics or bomb clearing experts, which is still dangerous and supporting the war effort.  Some of the distinctions may seem artificial but they are often very real to the people involved.
A good point.  Dimanika could be pleased that the baby survived because of her preference for peace, but that still makes her actions more than a bit hypocritical, since she could have spared the children herself. What Fa'Lina did was just as distasteful to Pyro's Dad in the long run.

Drayco84

Not really... Because even though they kidnapped his offspring, they didn't actually kill them. Thus, they hit him where it hurts, but redirected his rage to whomever actually did the killing. While he might be annoyed, Dimanika and her clan are going to be farther down on his hit-list because of that. (Seriously, you might be angered by the enabler, but you're going to be enraged at the one who did the deed.)

Now, also think about this from Fa'Lina's perspective. More than likely she had just seen the demise of her own clan and was still depressed over it. Thus, why she handed Pyroduck over to the phoenix oracles. He'd be safe from the other cubi, and also her once she hit the Rage-stage of mourning.
Mind you, dragons live longer than cubi, possibly even Tri-Wings. Plus, we know that there's a ritual that allows a cubi to "adopt" another species. Perhaps Fa'Lina has her "retirement" (Possibly the permanent kind...) plan already set up with Pyroduck? (Perhaps the ritual is easier if the subject species already has a high affinity with magic. Then again, it could be harder...)

Hmmm... A Dragon-Cubi... Yeah, that's probably number two in the list of "Creatures you don't want to screw with, EVER." (Fae still take number one.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 17, 2010, 12:00:10 PM
Mind you, dragons live longer than cubi, possibly even Tri-Wings. Plus, we know that there's a ritual that allows a cubi to "adopt" another species. Perhaps Fa'Lina has her "retirement" (Possibly the permanent kind...) plan already set up with Pyroduck? (Perhaps the ritual is easier if the subject species already has a high affinity with magic. Then again, it could be harder...)

Tri-wings supposedly have an indefinite lifespan unless something interrupts it (e.g. murder).  Empirically the race has 'only' been around for something like 100'000 years, so there's unlikely to be any older than that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

jeffh4

Not really... Because even though they kidnapped his offspring, they didn't actually kill them. Thus, they hit him where it hurts, but redirected his rage to whomever actually did the killing. While he might be annoyed, Dimanika and her clan are going to be farther down on his hit-list because of that. (Seriously, you might be angered by the enabler, but you're going to be enraged at the one who did the deed.)
But we're not talking about me, we're talking about dragons.  Specifically a dragon who wipes out entire clans without remorse.  He's the type that would have a vendetta against anyone and anything that is associate with the act.

Seriously.

If an mythos coincidentally held a door open for one of the kidnappers during the kidnapping, he/she/it would not survive long enough during a meeting with Pryo's dad to protest a single syllable of innocence.  Dragon's don't have different shades of "I want you dead."

Now, also think about this from Fa'Lina's perspective. More than likely she had just seen the demise of her own clan and was still depressed over it. Thus, why she handed Pyroduck over to the phoenix oracles. He'd be safe from the other cubi, and also her once she hit the Rage-stage of mourning.
Nah. As much as Fa'Lina loved her clan, her primary passion is revealed here:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_730.php
Helping and guiding youngsters also led her to found SAIA.  100% against her principles to kill little ones.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: jeffh4 on February 16, 2010, 03:48:56 PMWhy was this delightful to her? Because it would promote confusion, of course!
If that were the case, they would have not given the 5 children to incensed individuals.  Four of these parties presumably killed said children in unspeakable ways.  The Dimanika clan passed up their opportunity for a peaceful solution such as the one Fa'Lina chose.

It also mentions that during the Cubi-Dragon wars, the no-kill rule was suspended.
Besides, what better way to gauge what sort of people your allies are ?
Also, I don't think anything was mentioned about the other 4 babies.

Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 17, 2010, 06:10:10 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 16, 2010, 07:25:49 PM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on February 16, 2010, 07:03:01 PMWen considered this for some time, and at last said: "A fish!"
And Clodpool went away, satisfied.

A swordfish even, which means that one plus one is possible.
And if someone ever reads this, without reading the comic, they are going to be very, very confused!
Look up the source material.  It's from Terry Pratchett's novel Thief of Time.  Any of his books are a good read, especially the Discworld series.  Just pick up any of his books and be humored in the satire.

Ah, I missed the refernce, though I have read that book once.
It's been a while though, since I read it.

And I love the Discworld series.
The best bit is when the Mages are running around acting like kung Fu fighters - That was just beautiful.
I think it was in the Sorcerer .. y'know, the one that starts with the mist swirling into the city of Badass ?

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 17, 2010, 09:15:32 PM
The best bit is when the Mages are running around acting like kung Fu fighters - That was just beautiful.
I think it was in the Sorcerer .. y'know, the one that starts with the mist swirling into the city of Badass ?
Did you mean: Sourcery? Unfortunately I haven't read that one. The local library doesn't have all of the Discworld books, so I ordered some for myself :)
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Goatmon

Dimanika is adorable.

I can't decide if she looks more like a sailor scout, or a cheerleader.

Sind

Also, I don't think anything was mentioned about the other 4 babies.

However, Fa'Lina did say there only was one dragon that wouldn't kill Daniel, though that could have more to do with him being of the Cyra clan than being Cubi in general.

joshofspam

Odd. For a clan that causes confusion, the fact that they don't kill except during the cubi and dragon war makes actual sense. :3

I mean corpses make such lousy meals of confusion.

I see this clan using a combination of vague references, hugs, acts of suprising kindness for no apparent reason, and giving bad directions on purpose even when their walking in said group and leading them the wrong way.

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: SpottedKitty on February 15, 2010, 06:19:32 PMBeside the Taun marking, is that the purple moon of whatever Aary's clan is (did we ever find out?)

Indeed it is...Aaryanna is of the Hrienth clan :)
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 17, 2010, 11:00:36 PM
Did you mean: Sourcery? Unfortunately I haven't read that one. The local library doesn't have all of the Discworld books, so I ordered some for myself :)

That's quite possibly it .. it has been a few years since I read it, so I'm not too clear on the details anymore.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Goatmon on February 18, 2010, 02:47:54 AM
Dimanika is adorable.

I can't decide if she looks more like a sailor scout, or a cheerleader.

And there is where in lies the confusion!  :3 So congratulations you're feeding her and her clan!  :mowhappy

Drayco84

What the-?! Aary really DID open a LiveJournal account? Wha-gah... Guh... HEY! SOMEONE GET THIS DIMANIKA-CUBI TO STOP CHEWING ON MY HEAD!

AmigaDragon

Quote from: jeffh4 on February 17, 2010, 06:33:28 PMAs much as Fa'Lina loved her clan, her primary passion is revealed here:

I thought this was her primary passion. :mowcookie

(Why isn't the [more] link working? It used to bring up a window full of smileys)
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

entropicage

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 18, 2010, 08:55:50 PM
What the-?! Aary really DID open a LiveJournal account? Wha-gah... Guh... HEY! SOMEONE GET THIS DIMANIKA-CUBI TO STOP CHEWING ON MY HEAD!
Wow, and I thought I was lacking in information.  :tongue

Yeah, she did make a real LJ. Hasn't been used in about a year or so, though.  :rolleyes

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

(This joke has been removed to epic levels of fail. Sorry for the inconvience and have a pleasant day!  :))

Lorien

While not a particularly constructive post I gotta say these guys are my favorite cubi clan thus far.  If I was the sort to make my own DMFA universe character she'd have to be in this group (wacky but less OP then fae, also less inherent angst) but don't worry I know better. :P

Bjalf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 19, 2010, 12:46:57 AM
Quote from: jeffh4 on February 17, 2010, 06:33:28 PMAs much as Fa'Lina loved her clan, her primary passion is revealed here:

They can be combined without any problems.

Mao

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 19, 2010, 01:43:28 AM

It's not my fault your head is sooooo tasty!!!  >:3 *nom nom nom*

RP forums are down a little further on the main page.

Just sayin'.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 19, 2010, 07:02:44 AM
Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 19, 2010, 01:43:28 AM

((It's not my fault your head is sooooo tasty!!! *nom nom nom*))<-- This joke was removed from my previous post, due to epic failness! :animesweat

RP forums are down a little further on the main page.

Just sayin'.

Well my joke failed................... :animesweat..........I'll go hide in the cave of shame now.........

I was just trying to make a joke, do to what it says in my signature. Mental Note: no more jokes like that! :3

Naldru

(Why isn't the [more] link working? It used to bring up a window full of smileys)
The more button works for me.  Check that you haven't turned off pop-up windows.  (Depending on the algorithm for the browser, that could be a problem.)  Also, I've seen cases where the new window opens behind the visible windows. :square :bun
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

What browser is it?

AmigaDragon

Firefox, latest update. I haven't made any other changes (other than updated plugins and add-ons) since the last time I used that [more] link. and Firefox isn't saying that it blocked any popups.

I think I did see something about unsupported java being disabled.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Bjalf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 19, 2010, 09:41:05 PM

You need Java 6 Update 10 and above for Firefox 3.6.

Time to update?

And every time I update Java, I go to
Control Panel -> Java -> Advanced -> Miscellaneous
and remove both ticks marks.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 19, 2010, 09:41:05 PM
Firefox, latest update. I haven't made any other changes (other than updated plugins and add-ons) since the last time I used that [more] link. and Firefox isn't saying that it blocked any popups.

It's working on 3.6 here.  I suspect the popup is javascript, though, so upgrading the JVM probably won't make much difference.

AmigaDragon

My Java is up to 6 update 18, so I'm up to date already.

EDIT: I just looked at my add-ons and found several java console entries in there. I uninstalled all but 6.0.18 and now the [more] link is working again here. Maybe not proof that this was the cause, but it's working now.

Anyone else reminded of Trance Gemini from Andromeda? ... well, possibly, possibly not, of course.