Zombie Survival Physics.

Started by bradypodidae, September 29, 2009, 04:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradypodidae

It seems your chances at surviving a zombie attack depends on where you are hiding; the more complex the structure, the better your odds of survival... duh? It seems the Valley Girls got it right, "To the mall!"

Physicist Davide Cassi at the Università di Parma in Italy gives his findings in his published paper on "random walking" models in the journal Physical Review E.

Link to full news article

I particularly like the last line in the article.  :zombiekun2
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Succubus_1982

Lol, interesting. I'll bear that in mind when the apocalypse comes.
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

Dannysaysnoo

Well yeah. With an underground complex, you have a much bigger amount of places to set up defensive barricades against the undead as they invade.

Brunhidden

its refreshing to see a return to the shambling zombie as opposed to the fast zombies that are in so many of the newer games and movies.

seriously, if it can run or shoot a gun its not a zombie
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

JackTheCubiWolf

I think heading up into heavily wood mountains would be best. 2 reasons, one it's s
steep and chances are the zombies can't climb the steep ledges without falling. Two, the trees would get in there way if the come after you, they wouldn't know how to avoid them as well as the living do.
I'm back, and tired.

Kipiru

For me the best place to go to survive a zombie attack is a place with a machinegun and a lot of ammo  :gun1 :zombiekun other than that you can hide in a restroom and still be safe- zombies can't turn handles!

ooklah

I had found a great place to set up camp. It's a pier out into the ocean that forms a T. Except the | in the T is nearly a half mile long. Perfect for being out of noise range, a long corridor for sniping and barricading, and you can dock boats out at end with some modifications so you can come and go to various points up and down the coast, thus being able to quickly find a new landing site before they can even get close to you. Also it sits in deep enough water you don't have to worry about them walking out and attempting to pull you under if you are swimming. (and there is a naval base right across the bay, stock full of goodies)
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Reese Tora

<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

bradypodidae

Quote from: Reese Tora on September 30, 2009, 03:20:40 PM
I could have used this information a week ago :<

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2818190
Please accept my sincere apologies for the tardiness of this post. Unfortunately, Physicist Davide Cassi was behindhand in publishing his paper. I was going to say something along the lines of, "What, you really want help with them? They're cute!" However, I guess a zombie is a zombie, cute or not.

I live in the Mountains so I guess my best bet would be to stock up on food and ammo and sit it out. Our cistern has the sweetest water in the area so that's no concern.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

GabrielsThoughts

http://f-un1t.smackjeeves.com/

I stumbled upon this as it was uploading and thought it was off to a great start... in fact, I'm going to add it to my favorites page later this week, so if anyone else has any other "themed" comics suggestions that fall into this genre I'm all ears.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

ShadesFox

What is with all the scientific papers about zombies lately?  Someone in Canada wrote a paper, mostly to see if the current mathematical pathology models could be adapted to model zombie outbreaks.

The paper concludes what we already knew, it can only be contained if you kill them fast and kill them hard.

http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf
The All Purpose Fox

Janus Whitefurr

Clearly, someone out there knows something the rest of us don't, and is collating data for the upcoming apocalypse.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

bradypodidae

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 30, 2009, 11:46:51 PM
Clearly, someone out there knows something the rest of us don't, and is collating data for the upcoming apocalypse.

That, or there are people out there justifying the years they spent playing games by turning it into science.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

GabrielsThoughts

well video games do follow the laws of physics, so it stands to reason that there would need to be papers on the subject to help the game designers.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 01, 2009, 09:35:25 AM
well video games do follow the laws of physics, so it stands to reason that there would need to be papers on the subject to help the game designers.

Say that out loud to yourself, and try and realize why I find it so funny.

ooklah

Or a new generation of geeks and nerds is now filtering into places of power.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Brunhidden

Quote from: ooklah on October 01, 2009, 02:22:56 PM
Or a new generation of geeks and nerds is now filtering into places of power.

i demand a more comfy throne and someone make me a pizza smoothie!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kafzeil

I think the best defensible position in a Zombie Outbreak would be a warehouse, one with food, Or a store simmliar to Costco. Lots of food and supplies, big, small, easily barricaded exits, heavy boxes to barricade. If not possible, well, the Armory in my city (Well, not really an armor now, more or less a big filing cabinet) is study enough to withstand the undead, small, barred windows and heavy wooden doors. Multiple stories too. Take out stairwells if you can and hide in the upper levels.

Yes, I have a copy of the Zombie Survival Guide on stand-by.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on October 01, 2009, 12:34:08 PM

Remember to grab the invulnerability powerup the next time you go shopping, so you can rocket jump over the cashiers and negate the falling damage by landing in a puddle of water!
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 02, 2009, 06:50:38 AM
Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on October 01, 2009, 12:34:08 PM

Remember to grab the invulnerability powerup the next time you go shopping, so you can rocket jump over the cashiers and negate the falling damage by landing in a puddle of water!

Hey, did you hear that US Gulf soldiers are being denied their Quad Damage ration?

ShadesFox

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on October 02, 2009, 10:32:53 AM
Hey, did you hear that US Gulf soldiers are being denied their Quad Damage ration?

Oh god, what are they going to do against the demonic nazis that were running the whole thing from behind the scenes?
The All Purpose Fox

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: ShadesFox on October 02, 2009, 10:34:34 AM
Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on October 02, 2009, 10:32:53 AM

Oh god, what are they going to do against the demonic nazis that were running the whole thing from behind the scenes?

I dunno, but they're apologizing for the Quad Damage fiasco by giving every soldier a 50 foot tall walking robot.

Succubus_1982

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's not safe even without zombies. What's your point?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Succubus_1982

bradypodidae

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Succubus_1982

LOL Zombie mime. Now that is scary!

thegayhare

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on October 02, 2009, 08:20:26 PM
The official Civil Defense film produced in co-operation with the Federal Civil Defense Administration and in consultation with the Safety Commission of the National Education Association (10 minutes)

I dissagree with out britich freind a bladed weapon isn't Ideal  I adree with the survival guide book that a good crowbar is the ultimate survival tool and melee weapon against zombies.

A good swing can smash a skull with little dammage to the tool and it can be used to pry open doors and leverage obsticals out of the way

llearch n'n'daCorna

It depends on how damaged the skull has to be in order to kill the zombie.

In some cases I've seen (some movie about a zombie girlfriend or something, it's been a while) the lack of a skull didn't slow the zombies down at all, so in that case, removing the head entirely might help.

Mind you, in that case, dismembering the zombie didn't stop it, either, so...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears