08/22/09 [CVRPG Live] - A 50 in 24 event! (Details Within)

Started by Darkmoon, July 19, 2009, 07:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Aug 21, 2009:

Okay, I'm making things easy and putting the info for the broadcast here. So far we have the ustream setup. There will be video of my work, and audio, but I do not guarantee it'll be perfect on either end. the stream window is a fair bit smaller than my comic, so some things will be a bit blurry as I work. Also, the audio will have my chatting with other people, and the other people may not carry over... we shall see.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cvrpg-live

Join the fun, starting at 12:00 Noon EST August 22nd!

To join the voice chat room:

1) Download Teamspeak
2) Connection Menu, under Connect, you will get a new window. Setup:
   - Server Address: llearch.net
   - Connection: Anonymous
   - Server Password: Amber
3) Join the CVRPG room (double click on it)
4) Make sure your microphone is in, and you should be broadcasting.

Please note: Darkmoon swears. A lot. Please be aware.

Goals:

1) Set up Broadcast
2) Maintain a rate of 2.08 comics per hour.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

bradypodidae

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on July 19, 2009, 07:52:13 PM
I honestly hadn't even thought about it. I do have a mic and could, theoretically, broadcast my screen to all who want to see...

I guess it's really just a matter of if people wanted to see it -- if there was enough for it to warrant the effort involved.

So... how many multiple accounts and aliases would I have to open clamoring for a live cast before you would say 'ok'?  :U
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Darkmoon

Do you really want to spend 24 hours watching me put together sprite comics?

VSMIT

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on July 20, 2009, 11:42:14 PM
So... how many multiple accounts and aliases would I have to open clamoring for a live cast before you would say 'ok'?  :U

None. After the first one, we'd catch you for multiple accounts and ban both of them. If you opened another one, then all of them would become permabans, rather than temporary bans...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bradypodidae

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 21, 2009, 03:39:47 AM
Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on July 20, 2009, 11:42:14 PM
So... how many multiple accounts and aliases would I have to open clamoring for a live cast before you would say 'ok'?  :U

None. After the first one, we'd catch you for multiple accounts and ban both of them. If you opened another one, then all of them would become permabans, rather than temporary bans...

Fully known and understood, Sir Box!  :)

That was just another failed attempt at humor on my part.  :<

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on July 21, 2009, 12:41:16 AM
Do you really want to spend 24 hours watching me put together sprite comics?

Okay, this next part is probably preaching to the choir, but...

Well... you could invite a few of your friends to heckle using skype or some such voice application. And if you used an application that had an associated chat room everyone could join in on the sniping. Its been my observation of other webcasts with chat that the audiences are sometimes self entertaining...

Are you sure you want to field endless questions from the audience? >:3

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Darkmoon

Okay, let's say I'm halfway interested in the concept, find me the program/site to use. I do my work in photoshop, FileZilla, and Firefox, so I need something that can basically broadcast my entire desktop. it should have the voice chat capability, and having a little text chat for those people not in on the "call" would be ideal.

Also, preferably, free.

You find it, and we'll discuss.

VSMIT

A friend of mine uses Webcam Max, which can capture your screen or your webcam (if you've got one).  The trial version has a watermark across the top, while the full version does not (and costs $50).  To broadcast, you can use http://www.livestream.com/ or http://www.justin.tv/.  Both are free to use.

Webcam Max does not include an interface for text chatting, so you may need to have notepad or something open, but both of the broadcast sites include a chatroom alongside the video stream.

Hope this helps.

Darkmoon

I will admit a temptation to do this...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I spoke to PinkKittyRose and Balade about this - since those are the two folks I know doing casts.

Balade also suggests Webcam Max - he also mentioned you can purchase it for shorter lengths of time, like a few weeks. That might be somewhat cheaper, unless you intend to run more casts later. He says it's the best he's found, but he's mostly looking under a 64bit OS, so YMMV. BTW, it's a large watermark; that might impact on your decision.

PKR says she uses Camtasia Studio 5's Live Output feature to do screen recording. However, that's very definitely another pay option - I get the impression it's not cheap, either.

The other option I was wondering about was ustream, since that name appears a bit; they may or may not have some suggestions on their site.

Darkmoon

Ustream certainly appears like an option.However, I do have to admit the fascination with being able to have others chat with me while I broadcast... Maybe I should look at setting up a skype with it...

llearch n'n'daCorna

There's a teamspeak server. Feel free to use that.

Darkmoon

Hey, that could be cool. That's your teamspeak server, right?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Correct. test.llearch.net with a password of Amber (hey, it's not like I'm going to forget that, now, is it?)

If you find yourself having more than about 15 people chatting at once, it'll have to move, though - upstream from my DSL link is only so much... less if I'm actively using the link...

VSMIT

Perhaps you can have people sign up if they want to actually talk instead of just chat?

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Are you suggesting that it's usually pretty quiet on there, VSMIT? ;-]

VSMIT

I don't know.  I'm just guessing.  Perhaps incorrectly, now that I think about it.

Darkmoon

Okay, then... sign up here if you want to join. If we get more than 12 (to be on the safe side), we'll find an alternate solution.

Broadcast will be over ustream. Details on both will be posted in the coming weeks (once a deadline for the broadcast is set).

llearch n'n'daCorna

Do I need to put my name here, or can I just, by virtue of running the server, turn up? ;-]

VSMIT

bradypodidae

I'll definitely watch and participate in a chat, if there is one. Not sure I have the equipment on this laptop to be part of a cast.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Darkmoon

The audio cast would require a microphone and the installation of teamspeak.

Gabi

What day will this be? It would be interesting to join, at least for a while.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Mao

I'll show up as long as the date/time doesn't conflict with anything else I've got going on.

Darkmoon

Destina Faroda

Ah, so we have to install this software on our computers?  Hmm...
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

GabrielsThoughts

I wouldn't mind getting use out of my headset... but I 'd need to know when or if.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Castle Pokemetroid

I wouldn't mind. Chatting with others over the internet? Might be entertaining. But yet, summer break ends in less than a week, then I might not have as much time.

50+ comics in 24 hours? How much bloody time do you need to make a single comic? I could make almost two hundred frames of animation in 24 hours, and I use friggen MS paint. It's just too bad that I don't have that kind of time to spend on my project every day.

Darkmoon

It's a touch more complicated than just putting together frames of animation...