[Art] Turnsky's thread o' art.

Started by Turnsky, April 24, 2009, 06:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/Sketches/mabarts.jpg

when i thought of drawing this, i came upon the idea of 'what would Mab look like if she were on Ariannia?" and this is the end result, hopefully amber enjoys it.  :3

-linked stuff-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/Sketches/ffc20090515wip.jpg

i'll update this when i get the time.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Paladin Sheppard

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

Nice- much love for the fluffy tail- really has volume to it!

Ren Gaulen

This fluffiness is perfection! Great picture, Turnsky! :>

WhiteFox

Quote from: Kipiru on April 24, 2009, 09:41:39 AM

True.

But... is it fluffy enough? Is it?

I would note, tho, the nose looks kind of long. Kinda canine.

I love her hair. It's a very different art style then Ambers, but it still looks like the same cut. Neat.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Turnsky

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 24, 2009, 03:01:01 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on April 24, 2009, 09:41:39 AM

True.

But... is it fluffy enough? Is it?

I would note, tho, the nose looks kind of long. Kinda canine.

I love her hair. It's a very different art style then Ambers, but it still looks like the same cut. Neat.

probably because amber never really draws muzzles on her feline characters at all.  >:3

Jairus

Dang, she looks great, Turnsky! But I dunno if the tail is fluffy enough...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on April 24, 2009, 10:42:47 PM
probably because amber never really draws muzzles on her feline characters at all.  >:3

To be fair, we don't know what kind of feline they are.   Housecats don't have a muzzle like a leopard etc...

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2009, 06:35:24 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on April 24, 2009, 10:42:47 PM

To be fair, we don't know what kind of feline they are.   Housecats don't have a muzzle like a leopard etc...

aye, it's kinda open to interpretation.. that and my feline muzzles aren't wonderous to begin with.  :U

Mao

They're fine Turnsky.  I think it's a great picture and that it was awesome of you to make this of her char.

Scarydragon

Very good picture, I like her, "Ooh, what's over there?" expression.  :3
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

rt

Quote from: Turnsky on April 25, 2009, 06:46:26 AM
aye, it's kinda open to interpretation.. that and my feline muzzles aren't wonderous to begin with.  :U

Well the nose looks more cat than dog, and also that type of nose usually goes with the rounder ears ... so +2 points to you

WhiteFox

If I might suggest a few rules of thumb...

Cat's don't have nearly as much of an indentation at the bridge of their nose as dogs. (Blue arrow) (Bull Terriers are a notable exception to this.)
The nose can angle much more sharply for dogs then cats. (Red angle) (I've seen sharper angles on dogs then the one in the diagram.)
Cats have much more rounded cheeks, at the corner of the jaw and just under the eye.
Dogs noses are more level then cats. (I think that's why the Mab pic looks off to me.)

(Quick sketch'o'gram:)

All three of these elements are independent of the actual length of the muzzle, and relate more to their shape.

For the most part, cats muzzles aren't nearly as long, or narrow, as dogs muzzles can be. Some dogs have very short muzzles, but I've yet to see a cat that compares to, for example, a German Shepherd or a Doberman, in length. Some dogs do have very blunt noses, but few cats have anything sharper then a 90 degree angle at their nose. I guess dogs just have a wider variety of shapes then cats. Dogs have been bread for a much wider variety of purposes, after all.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Pagan

Not that all this talk of anatomy is wonderful, ... but I thought Mab was a squirrel...
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on April 26, 2009, 04:35:45 PM
Not that all this talk of anatomy is wonderful, ... but I thought Mab was a squirrel...
She is a feline.  Generally she's drawn with a flat, rolled-up squirrel-like tail though.

Earlier in the series it's more like Turnsky's rendition, e.g.
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_143.php

Later on it becomes flat and sort of kinked:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_399.php

And I think in the current design it's slightly rolled like this:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_695.php

...before you ask how I know this, I had to repair her tail a few times for the radio project, where it got obscured by speech bubbles.

Pagan

Ah, so she's only a purple fluffy squirrel wannabe?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Suwako

GabrielsThoughts

technically Mab is a Fairy and not a Squitten. although she does look like one.

http://www.messybeast.com/squitten.htm

don't ask how I know about squitten's.  Just know that they exist, and have been around for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squitten
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Turnsky

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 26, 2009, 04:28:30 PM

If I might suggest a few rules of thumb...

Cat's don't have nearly as much of an indentation at the bridge of their nose as dogs. (Blue arrow) (Bull Terriers are a notable exception to this.)
The nose can angle much more sharply for dogs then cats. (Red angle) (I've seen sharper angles on dogs then the one in the diagram.)
Cats have much more rounded cheeks, at the corner of the jaw and just under the eye.
Dogs noses are more level then cats. (I think that's why the Mab pic looks off to me.)

(Quick sketch'o'gram:)

All three of these elements are independent of the actual length of the muzzle, and relate more to their shape.

For the most part, cats muzzles aren't nearly as long, or narrow, as dogs muzzles can be. Some dogs have very short muzzles, but I've yet to see a cat that compares to, for example, a German Shepherd or a Doberman, in length. Some dogs do have very blunt noses, but few cats have anything sharper then a 90 degree angle at their nose. I guess dogs just have a wider variety of shapes then cats. Dogs have been bread for a much wider variety of purposes, after all.

perhaps, but there are also the big cats, which can have larger muzzles, thanks for the tip, however.

Nikki

With all this talk about the cat muzzles, all i have to say is; You attempted one, which is bravery in my book.

I really REALLY like the pose and they way her wings are C:

Also: Fluffy tail FTW.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Turnsky

Arroyo Milori

I see something that looks like an arm in between the two. It looks nice, but the circle seems rather random. Unless it's going to be something else.

Turnsky

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on May 10, 2009, 10:03:39 AM
I see something that looks like an arm in between the two. It looks nice, but the circle seems rather random. Unless it's going to be something else.

that would be the beginnings of kittah's head.

Turnsky

more proof of life:

figured it's high time i started to get off my ass and did something.

Sprocketsdance

You're alive!! Sweet!  :boogie What's the story behind the drawing?

Turnsky

Quote from: wuffnpuff on June 28, 2009, 08:02:18 PM
You're alive!! Sweet!  :boogie What's the story behind the drawing?

'tis comic work.  >:3

Mao

*stands over Turnsky brandishing a whip*  Work faster slave!  I demand arts!  Stop falling apart!

I can't wait to see the next update, as always, Turn. :D

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Mao