The Aspect of Soul(s) in the DMFA Canon

Started by Grey Wolf, January 24, 2009, 07:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 27, 2009, 03:21:40 PM
'A'

What have I done!?

Such trickery and deceit!

I have brought shame upon myself for striking at one of such a tender age.  We must never speak of this dishonorable act again.

Haha! I, in my diminutive stature and tender age, have succeeded by default!

*Keaton has gained 9999 EXP, has gained a level*

I do approve of your use of the Peniszilla icon.

Quote from: Tiger_T on January 27, 2009, 03:17:51 PM
Wouldn't that be 'Phallii'? Ja?

Actually, you're right. It is phalli. I just couldn't be arsed to be grammatically correct.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 27, 2009, 03:21:40 PM
'A'

What have I done!?

Such trickery and deceit!

I have brought shame upon myself for striking at one of such a tender age.  We must never speak of this dishonorable act again.
Too late, MAOOOO!!! D:< I, Ren Gaulen, the Sword of Magus and Protector of Children, shall smite you for your crime! PREPARE YOURSELF! CHIESTOOOOOO!!!! >:O *smites*

Sunblink

Oh, and, Mao? My mom's suing you. Have a nice day signing up as a registered sex offender. :U

Mao

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 27, 2009, 03:26:02 PM
Oh, and, Mao? My mom's suing you. Have a nice day signing up as a registered sex offender. :U

D:

WRRRRRY!?

Have we killed this thread yet?  Seriously, how many phallic jokes will it take?

Jairus

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 27, 2009, 03:28:42 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 27, 2009, 03:26:02 PM

D:

WRRRRRY!?

Have we killed this thread yet?  Seriously, how many phallic jokes will it take?
It would be a phallusy to think we can kill this thread with mere phallic jokes.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 27, 2009, 03:28:42 PM
I can try cleaving you with the Colossal Blade for "offending" Keaton. :B

..Wait, do we need more or less phallic jokes? :paranoid

Quote from: Jairus on January 27, 2009, 03:32:56 PM
It would be a phallusy to think we can kill this thread with mere phallic jokes.
Do I need to smite you too, bro? >:[

Mao

Lego3400

Can't think of anything to say so i'll change things up with a COMBO BREAKER! No phallic jokes from me.  :mwaha

Tipod

I'll do one better and ask a serious question: when a soul gets detached from its body and put in a container, how does it keep from going insane from lack of sensory input? I keep thinking of Stephen King's The Jaunt and how it'd be like seeing or hearing nothing for an indeterminate period of time.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Tapewolf

It may be that the container (or whatever enchantment is keeping the soul in it) can be set up for different purposes - short-term or long-term storage... the latter allowing the soul to perceive time more slowly and keeping it sane for longer.

Not saying that's how it works in DMFA, but it's how I'd do it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Distracting

Is it the soul or the body that dreams is my question. If it's the soul, then to keep it sane in containment is only a matter of making it think it's asleep. Otherwise I'm sure there's plenty of ways to keep a soul captive.

I mostly just want to say that I've always imagined souls as globular bits of jelly.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Distracting on January 27, 2009, 04:08:22 PM
I mostly just want to say that I've always imagined souls as globular bits of jelly.
Delicious jelly, I might add..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 27, 2009, 01:36:52 PM
It's like a game of tic-tac-toe. The only way to really win is to not play at all. :U

This reminds me of sports discussions where two or more argue who's team is better. once or twice I've popped in with "my team has never been defeated." To which they respond, "who's your team?" And my response, "None. If they've never played, they've never been beaten."

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Peter Tchaikovsky - Suite No. 2: Waltz "Characteristic" (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Howl

Yeah... enough of what I brought up. It was off topic.

But, now I have a new question. Is it possible to create a mechanical equal to a (being) soul, one that grants sentience.

Turnsky

Quote from: Minishear on January 27, 2009, 08:23:08 PM

But, now I have a new question. Is it possible to create a mechanical equal to a (being) soul, one that grants sentience.

that may form under "creating life" which is illegal on furrae.

however, theoretically, anything that achieves sentience may have a soul, souls to my mind can't be "created" in the sense you just can't Macguyver one together using various bits and bobs.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Turnsky on January 27, 2009, 08:49:04 PM

however, theoretically, anything that achieves sentience may have a soul, souls to my mind can't be "created" in the sense you just can't Macguyver one together using various bits and bobs.

Jyrras did! With bubblegum, too! hehe...

Turnsky

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on January 27, 2009, 08:51:30 PM

Jyrras did! With bubblegum, too! hehe...

he made life, not a soul.. the soul came with the life.  >:3

Howl

I kinda meant a soul in itself. Not like Deebs.

Turnsky

and i answered, like thus.

Gabi

Interesting discussion. Too bad it's been repeatedly interrupted by talk about male reproductive organs.

From what I have understood (which may or may not be right), the souls of the undead are the same souls they had when they were alive. The spell caused the souls to return to their old bodies. Whether they remember anything that happened in the meantime I have no idea.

Fae have already been largely discussed. Amber did say their souls were different to those of other Creatures and Beings in Furrae (she said they didn't have a soul in the conventional sense). When they die, their soul is destroyed and its energy is used to create a new soul (Mary Sue or not, I definitely wouldn't want to go through this process).

I understand that souls are destroyed when they are eaten. Once more, I may be wrong, but that's what it sounded like.

Phoenixes (A) apparently retain the same soul upon rebirth. I wonder what will happen to them when the universe is destroyed, if that ever happens.

Other Creatures and Beings have regular souls that separate from their bodies upon death and go on. As far as I know, Amber hasn't specified where they go, but she has made her continued existence clear, as they can be imprisoned, eaten and even brought back.

I haven't found a reference to hollows, but so far everything points to them having "nothing in there", as JP said.

I'm not sure about livestock. I wonder what kind of souls they have, and whether they continue to exist after their bodies die.

I don't know what it was like for vampires either (back when they existed in Furrae). My guess is that they must have had something, but I don't know what rules applied to them, nor what the current status of their souls is. :mowcookie
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on January 28, 2009, 06:16:19 AM
Interesting discussion. Too bad it's been repeatedly interrupted by talk about male reproductive organs.
I was tempted to move some of that to a nice new home in the Mine, but I suppose I'd better clear it with the other mods first.

QuoteI'm not sure about livestock. I wonder what kind of souls they have, and whether they continue to exist after their bodies die.
Difficult to say.  My tentative guess is that they don't have them - though if they do, it might make a slightly more palatable (if bizarre) for Creatures who need their fix.

QuoteI don't know what it was like for vampires either (back when they existed in Furrae). My guess is that they must have had something, but I don't know what rules applied to them, nor what the current status of their souls is. :mowcookie
I equate them with Beings or Weres.

Noone

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 28, 2009, 06:28:14 AM
QuoteI'm not sure about livestock. I wonder what kind of souls they have, and whether they continue to exist after their bodies die.
Difficult to say.  My tentative guess is that they don't have them - though if they do, it might make a slightly more palatable (if bizarre) for Creatures who need their fix.
I'd also say that livestock probably don't have souls, or at least, not the same kind that beings and other creatures have. Part of this comes from their lack of clear sentience, though I would be hard pressed to come up with what might be the case for a gryphon C. If you assume they did, then why would soul stealing creatures target beings for their souls and not livestock?
If livestock don't, well then the answer is obvious. If livestock do, then there seems to be little reason to attack beings in favor of livestock, assuming they were available. I would imagine a creature killing a being is considered far more despicable than a creature killing one of their livestock, the former would likely result in some vigilantees trying to hunt that creature down and kill them, (which actually may provide more souls to feed upon, but of course may also be a risky proposition), whereas the latter would likely end up with an angry farmer that can't really do anything to rectify the situation. Of course, repeated incidents of livestock assault may attract some attention, but I would imagine that assaults on beings would attract a lot more. Now of course, I don't know how common said attacks are, so maybe attacks on livestock, if they occurred frequently enough, might cause some fluctuations in being's food supply. It seems far more likely however, that creatures wouldn't get what they wanted from livestock, if they were hunting for souls that is.
Maybe cattle raids are an issue in some places, I really don't know. It seems however, that more pressing issues in DMFA canon are creatures randomly murdering beings in their sleep, and then the events that follow.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Gabi on January 28, 2009, 06:16:19 AM
I was tempted to move some of that to a nice new home in the Mine, but I suppose I'd better clear it with the other mods first.

Well I know I wouldn't like my efforts to derail this thread and destroy the conversation to be for nothing. :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: The1Kobra on January 28, 2009, 08:46:40 AM
I'd also say that livestock probably don't have souls, or at least, not the same kind that beings and other creatures have. Part of this comes from their lack of clear sentience, though I would be hard pressed to come up with what might be the case for a gryphon C. If you assume they did, then why would soul stealing creatures target beings for their souls and not livestock?
Another possibility is that you get less energy out of them than the cost of extraction.

QuoteNow of course, I don't know how common said attacks are, so maybe attacks on livestock, if they occurred frequently enough, might cause some fluctuations in being's food supply. It seems far more likely however, that creatures wouldn't get what they wanted from livestock, if they were hunting for souls that is.
Maybe cattle raids are an issue in some places, I really don't know. It seems however, that more pressing issues in DMFA canon are creatures randomly murdering beings in their sleep, and then the events that follow.
I was thinking of mice.  They breed rapidly and you could eat them at intervals like snacks.

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 28, 2009, 08:51:07 AM
Well I know I wouldn't like my efforts to derail this thread and destroy the conversation to be for nothing. :3
Amber has spoken.

Mao

So that wasn't enough phallic jokes then?  Hmm I can try and come up with more if you'd like, Amber.  Either that or I can try another angle.  I seem to recall a rather awesome picture from Zina with a dinosaur that was sporting a styling top hat and monocle... I'm sure I could work with that somehow.  Lolcats with monocles maybe?

Amber Williams

Nah. The jig is up at this point and so bringing in the monocles is moot point.  I shall simply have to wait for another thread to show up where I can be passive aggressive and abuse the fact I am a mod and creator of the comic so I can get away with posting trollish behavior that would otherwise warrent me getting a lecture from the rest of the admins.

Oh yeah...absolute power is awesome.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 28, 2009, 09:14:44 AM
Oh yeah...absolute power is awesome.
Great power means great responsibility! :C *dramatic face*

Amber Williams