The Aspect of Soul(s) in the DMFA Canon

Started by Grey Wolf, January 24, 2009, 07:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

Quote from: Minishear on January 26, 2009, 05:55:26 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 26, 2009, 07:30:48 AM
Quote from: Minishear on January 26, 2009, 04:52:43 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on January 25, 2009, 10:26:39 AM
The fae are a pain in the butt dues ex machina mary sue race that thankfully doesn't get involved in things as much as they could otherwise it would make for a pretty poor story. :B
I'd complain about that statement if I weren't so sure you're joking.
She's not.
I'll continue to think what I want.
*stifles smartassery*
Thinking what one wants and getting it are mutually exclusive in this case.
Suffice to say that Fae are all powerful, they know where all of furrae's strings are, and just how to pull them, they can defy all conventions and meta/physical laws, theories, and make up a few along the way, they are generally quite aloof and fun-loving in a way, so they generally stay out of it.

at least that's how i see it regardless.

Asking what the fae really are, and getting a "ooh, exposition" answer out of amber isn't expected, here, you'd be better off asking why an undead stops decomposing..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Howl

Now that I think of it... how good are Fae in physical fighting?

Tyranastrasz

well, considering the queen got stabbed through the chest with several different spears and actually forgot about one of them, I'd say they're fairly good at physical fighting.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Turnsky on January 26, 2009, 10:05:22 PM
...you'd be better off asking why an undead stops decomposing..

Or (quoting Craig Ferguson on CBS' Late Late Show) "Why don't zombies poop?" :zombiekun2

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Samuel Coleridge-Taylor - Violin Concerto (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Howl

Question. Could a Were in it's human form beat or at least tire out a Fae?

Turnsky

Quote from: Minishear on January 27, 2009, 02:28:22 AM
Question. Could a Were in it's human form beat or at least tire out bore a Fae?

corrected that for you.

Howl

A were, in it's human form. Is invulnerable to magic. Even that of the Fae.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Minishear on January 27, 2009, 03:30:03 AM

So? Just because a fae can't do something to a were doesn't mean that the fae can't cause something (or one!) to happen to a were.

Magic immunity is overrated unless you live in a game of D&D that causes magic immunity to somehow surpress any macic that might have an effect on you.

Considering the nature of fae, there wouldn't be a fight unless it served some purpose in whatever xanatos roulette they were running or they were young enough a fae to actually still care about physical conquests, and even then they would see to it that they have an unfair advantage.  Unless, of course, it was in their plan to lose. :3

If nothing else, the fae can win by default; "I outlive you, I win." :P
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 27, 2009, 05:10:26 AM
So? Just because a fae can't do something to a were doesn't mean that the fae can't cause something (or one!) to happen to a were.
Quite.  Were are still vulnerable to the effects of magic, just not the primary cause.  IIRC it was Amber who said that, for example, an ice-blast wouldn't affect the Were - but the frozen ground below them would.  And, as I think you were implying, they could still make a 16-ton weight appear above them or somesuch.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Minishear on January 27, 2009, 03:30:03 AM

direct applications, yes.

you forgot indirect.

AmigaDragon

Whether talking about magic immunity or resistance or (D&D) saving throws, it could be considered a form of magic ability in itself, though untrained, like Luke's instinctive self protection in Foxfire Chronicles (6th panel). Or it could be as if the magic just slides by, like water off a duck's back, or like avoiding the magic's area of effect (jumping out of the way). Or the magic could be absorbed, dissipated or otherwise neutralized. Any number of ideas could be applied depending on the situation.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Amber Williams

Magic immunity does not cover "dropping a house" damage, nor does it cover "getting shot in the head with a bullet", and I am pretty sure the Fae would be capable of aiming a gun and teleporting a house.

Just because someone is immune to magic, it doesn't make them invulnerable.  Just because the Fae a massive users of magic, it doesn't make them unable to club someone to death with a blunt object just as effectively as any other creature. 

If one honestly thinks a battle with a Fae is simply the fae using oodles of poodles of magic on someone, then they are not going to last very long.

The fae are a munchkin race. Its annoying, its completely unfair. But its how it goes. I realize that is likely will annoy some people because they dont like to consider that something may in fact be unbeatable. There is an instinctual desire to overcome any obstacle and that nothing is impossible if one just finds the right situation.  And I admit perhaps the underlying reason for the Fae existing is because I do realize that and like the idea of having something blaring and prickly to get stuck in some peoples craw.

Magic

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 27, 2009, 12:56:50 PM
Whether talking about magic immunity or resistance or (D&D) saving throws, it could be.. (cut out)

It's an admirable attempt to justify the statement but it would still be speculation. We have to take into context that Minishear seems to imply through his statements that the qualities of the Were immunity inferred as a truth and not theory. Unless one can say with certainty that (x) is how magic works in (y) universe then this whole quote is trivial.

On the other hand. I am still at a loss to understand why everyone keeps wanting to measure the races of DMFA by their capability to fight.

You have to understand, that without compromise, subtlety, and the finer points of how each of the races play a part, DMFA wouldn't be a story at all? Consider that if everything was weighed by might, either military or magical, the fae would have imposed an absolute autocratic authority over all 'lesser races' with no chance for insurrection, ever. Every single day of every single person for the rest of eternity until the stars themselves die and matter decomposes, dictated by the whimsy of a butterfly feathered creature with antennae.

Wasn't that a novel written by someone already?

I refuse to believe that the races of DMFA can be so easily pitted against each other in an arena to duke it out for supremacy.

EDIT:

And, there we go. Above post.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 27, 2009, 01:24:28 PM
Magic immunity does not cover "dropping a house" damage, nor does it cover "getting shot in the head with a bullet", and I am pretty sure the Fae would be capable of aiming a gun and teleporting a house.

Just because someone is immune to magic, it doesn't make them invulnerable.  Just because the Fae a massive users of magic, it doesn't make them unable to club someone to death with a blunt object just as effectively as any other creature. 

If one honestly thinks a battle with a Fae is simply the fae using oodles of poodles of magic on someone, then they are not going to last very long.

The fae are a munchkin race. Its annoying, its completely unfair. But its how it goes.

So, in short, there's no way to beat a Fae. Yep, that's a munchkin.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Amber Williams

It's like a game of tic-tac-toe. The only way to really win is to not play at all. :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 27, 2009, 01:36:52 PM
It's like a game of tic-tac-toe. The only way to really win is to not play at all. :U
I found the best way to win was to keep forcing a draw until the other person gives up  >:3

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2009, 01:40:17 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on January 27, 2009, 01:36:52 PM
I found the best way to win was to keep forcing a draw until the other person gives up  >:3
... interesting.

Though how one would "draw" against a Fae... I wonder if you can beat them mentally. Mind games and the like.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on January 27, 2009, 01:42:12 PM
Though how one would "draw" against a Fae... I wonder if you can beat them mentally. Mind games and the like.
IIRC the closest you can get is to force them into a position where they'd have to break the rules of their roleplay.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2009, 01:43:22 PM
Quote from: Jairus on January 27, 2009, 01:42:12 PM
IIRC the closest you can get is to force them into a position where they'd have to break the rules of their roleplay.
Oh, that would be so awesome to see: A Fae crack. Though I suppose they'd kill you afterwords... or concede the victory and be on their way. After all, they'll most likely outlive you.

Magic

What did I just say abou--

No. I just give up. Not worth it.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Tapewolf

Amber Williams

FOOLISH INK!
Dont you know that everything's worth on the planet is defined by how much it can pwn the other?! :U

Mao

Of course!  This is the internet:  The greatest place for posturing about the size of one's phallus!  All things must be a contest about the size of one phallus to another!

Sunblink

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 27, 2009, 01:59:39 PM
FOOLISH INK!
Dont you know that everything's worth on the planet is defined by how much it can pwn the other?! :U

Is it wrong that I've seen RPers who share that rationale? XD

I find this insanely appropriate given the Fae race's nature.

(originally I had only posted in this thread just to say this: in b4 someone decides to turn this into a massive wank fest about how much a fictional race sucks)

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 27, 2009, 02:03:39 PM
Of course!  This is the internet:  The greatest place for posturing about the size of one's phallus!  All things must be a contest about the size of one phallus to another!

GASP. I TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS STATEMENT.

MAO! I challenge you to a duel of phalluses!

Amber Williams

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 27, 2009, 02:51:33 PM

Cannot...unsee... D:

Mao

You shall rue the day...

Have at you!

:pzilla

Tapewolf

Don't do it!

She's underage!

**EDIT**
Gah... too late  :rolleyes

Amber Williams

IT'S A TRAP! :U

Wait no...or...*thinks* ...nevermind. I guess that phrase does apply here as well in this case. :B

Tiger_T

Quote from: Ink on January 27, 2009, 01:27:15 PM
You have to understand, that without compromise, subtlety, and the finer points of how each of the races play a part, DMFA wouldn't be a story at all? Consider that if everything was weighed by might, either military or magical, the fae would have imposed an absolute autocratic authority over all 'lesser races' with no chance for insurrection, ever. Every single day of every single person for the rest of eternity until the stars themselves die and matter decomposes, dictated by the whimsy of a butterfly feathered creature with antennae.

Wasn't that a novel written by someone already?

I refuse to believe that the races of DMFA can be so easily pitted against each other in an arena to duke it out for supremacy.[/i]

EDIT:

And, there we go. Above post.
Well, for one: The fae would've been pretty likely to lose interest for somesuch over time. It'd not really be a challenge for them, and thus - boring.
Hence: No Fae-overlords ruling supreme over puny mortals.

On the other hand it is highly discouraged to annoy a fae. - For obvious reasons. :rolleyes

>:3 Oy! Shtop rite dere!
Wouldn't that be 'Phallii'? Ja?
-de Grammarnazi- :P
(I really have no clue What would be the right term) :rolleyes
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Mao

'A'

What have I done!?

Such trickery and deceit!

I have brought shame upon myself for striking at one of such a tender age.  We must never speak of this dishonorable act again.