It's Twilight Time...

Started by Alondro, November 24, 2008, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Angel

Quote from: Xze-Xze on November 27, 2008, 03:18:30 AM
I am being dragged to see it this Saturday. During said movie i will be attempting to leave but will be boxed in by my so-called 'friends' (Who after this movie, will be called 'EX-friends') I'd rather watch Eragon. At least Jeremy Irons is in it.

From my point of view, Twilight is a disease created by the government to corrupt young teenage girls.

VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE, DANGIT!!

I'll admit, that was a bit disappointing. I guess Kentucky-fried Edward wouldn't be quite as sexy. But I think it's unfair to compare it to Eragon. That just plain sucked. Twilight had its moments. Eragon did not. The only good thing about that movie was Jeremy Irons. That. Was. ALL.

Also, here's a question ... who has more angst - the characters in the movie, or the whining Twilight fans?  :B Don't shoot me, I'm not done with the book yet.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Dakata

Quote from: Elieana on November 27, 2008, 04:35:03 AM
Also, it appears that this is the sick fantasy love of the author, who, by the look of things, doesn't really understand how relationships are really suppose to work.

Duh. Just look at pretty much any romance novel. And this one has sparkly vampires and teen wangst so of course it's going to be horrible.

Also, I laughed at this from her wikipedia article:

Meyer, an avid reader,[29] cites many novels as inspiration for the Twilight series, including Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë and Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.[30] She also says that her writing is strongly influenced by music, and she posts "playlists" on her website of songs which specifically inspired her books. Bands included most often in her playlists are Muse, Blue October, My Chemical Romance, Coldplay, and Linkin Park.

Craaaaawwwliiiing iiiin my skiiiiiin

No wonder teenage girls love her.

:C

Robbychu

Quote from: thegayhare on November 27, 2008, 01:36:22 PM
Quote from: Alondro on November 26, 2008, 10:12:15 AM
Vampires suck.
;)
no that is a myth they scrap and lick
QUOTED FOR AWESOME and Billy and Mandy quoting. :B

In other news, how does a vegetarian vampire work? Does he eat like Bunnicula? :U
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Alondro

Quote from: Robbychu on November 27, 2008, 03:17:42 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on November 27, 2008, 01:36:22 PM
Quote from: Alondro on November 26, 2008, 10:12:15 AM
Vampires suck.
;)
no that is a myth they scrap and lick
QUOTED FOR AWESOME and Billy and Mandy quoting. :B

In other news, how does a vegetarian vampire work? Does he eat like Bunnicula? :U

V8

:giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Mao

"Carrot juice constitutes murder, V8's genocide.
Greenhouses prisons for slaves, yes your compost's a grave.
It's time to stop all this gardening, take up macramé
Let's call a spade a spade it's a spade it's a spade it's a spade"

Sunblink

Quote from: Xze-Xze on November 27, 2008, 04:51:49 AM
Quote"When you read the book," says Pattinson, looking appropriately pallid and interesting even without makeup, "it's like, 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.' I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that's how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got some issues there."

I think I love Pattinson now.

Also, Xze, you have good taste - Jeremy Irons is amazing.

Colgatecrusader

I just wish the twilight craze would be over already. Not only does it ruin, RUIN the reputation of all respectable vampires, it's utterly annoying when the girl next to me in English is like "OMG, OMG, your hair looks like carlile!"
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: scorpio803 on December 08, 2008, 11:40:00 PM
I just wish the twilight craze would be over already. Not only does it ruin, RUIN the reputation of all respectable vampires, it's utterly annoying when the girl next to me in English is like "OMG, OMG, your hair looks like carlile!"

....wait, there are respectable ones in professional fiction? Or maybe fanfiction? This is where I die laughing. Outside of good old classic Dracula and the Nosferatu, I don't think there's been a good, serious vampire ever.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Kenji

Quote from: Black_angel on November 27, 2008, 01:55:07 PM
But I think it's unfair to compare it to Eragon. That just plain sucked. Twilight had its moments. Eragon did not. The only good thing about that movie was Jeremy Irons. That. Was. ALL.

I haven't seen Twilight, not do I plan to, but this is bunk. Eragon had dragons. Far cooler than vampires.
However, if you put a dragon in a movie with Alucard, be it Castlevania or Hellsing, all will be well.

Alondro

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 09, 2008, 02:01:04 AM

....wait, there are respectable ones in professional fiction? Or maybe fanfiction? This is where I die laughing. Outside of good old classic Dracula and the Nosferatu, I don't think there's been a good, serious vampire ever.

Buuuut... Angel was teh coolness!   :B

Not.  Yeah, they're pretty much all angsty power-gamers.

And they can't even take sunlight.  Bah!  Losers.

Or a stake through the heart!  Harumph!  If I died every time I got staked through the heart, why I'd be dead! 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

thegayhare

I've seen a few good vampire films in my time

Sundown was an interesting one.

and I've heard good things about 30days of night

and I did see a pretty cool show featuring vampires and Elvis impersonators

gh0st

Quote from: thegayhare on December 09, 2008, 12:43:07 PM
I've seen a few good vampire films in my time

Sundown was an interesting one.

and I've heard good things about 30days of night

and I did see a pretty cool show featuring vampires and Elvis impersonators

oh he's not dead, he just went home!

still though, vampires are supposed to be pains in the butt, not the main characters in possibly horrible love stories. i still need to see it but from what i saw in the trailers it could really use Alucard chucking trains at random bystanders, or something equally as impressive.

Alondro

Meh, Alucard was a damn powergamer too.

(OMG!  He's really Dracula!)

Yeah, I kinda picked up on that like... instantly.  Duh.   :P

Angel

Quote from: Alondro on December 10, 2008, 12:55:21 PM
Meh, Alucard was a damn powergamer too.

(OMG!  He's really Dracula!)

Yeah, I kinda picked up on that like... instantly.  Duh.   :P

Not gonna argue with that one. I was embarrassed when I realized that I hadn't found out about his name...

But Alucard is one of the few anime characters I know who can be a powergamer without being really annoying or getting topped somehow. Goku had to chatter so much he ruined it, that and he kept dying. Kenshin could do it, but then spoilers happened; also, he was only really a powergamer when Battosai broke loose. The Sannin rocked, but then Team 7 came along and now three experienced ninjas are being surpassed by children. Alucard, though... somehow he dodges anything that could ruin him. At least for me.  :P
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Tipod

I miss when vampires were just hairless, pale European guys who slept in coffins and said "blaeh, blaeh!" alot.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Colgatecrusader

yes, good old vlad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_III_the_Impaler
fanfiction isn't respectable. ever. i was simply trying to avoid the flames, but it seems i went out of the frying pan and into the fire.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Caswin

Quote from: scorpio803 on December 11, 2008, 11:42:45 PM
fanfiction isn't respectable. ever. i was simply trying to avoid the flames, but it seems i went out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Objection!  Respectable fanfiction exists.  "Breaking character to bend to the author's whims," "Hello I'm the author and I'm also the best thing ever since sliced bread" and "Let's write a fifteen-chapter story that amounts to one long, slow-paced orgy" are not the only genres out there - just the ones favored by a certain, unfortunately large vein of author.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Colgatecrusader

i just wanna now how so many of that vein came into existence.

Nikki

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 02, 2008, 06:17:14 PM
Quote from: Xze-Xze on November 27, 2008, 04:51:49 AM
Quote"When you read the book," says Pattinson, looking appropriately pallid and interesting even without makeup, "it's like, 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.' I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that's how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got some issues there."

I think I love Pattinson now.

Also, Xze, you have good taste - Jeremy Irons is amazing.
Y thank you  :3

And apparently they're already working on New Moon. The same lady isn't directing it though. But the cast is pretty much the same.

Emo movie anyone?

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Sunblink

Quote from: scorpio803 on December 12, 2008, 11:45:57 PM

Lack of originality, I presume. Either way, I wouldn't dismiss all fanfiction as being lackluster. I've seen some truly fantastic examples. One of them did more justice to a certain Harry Potter character than the actual author did. (Granted, the character was one who never received much positive exposition until the final book - and no, it was NOT Draco Malfoy.)

GabrielsThoughts

I've only seen the trailer for this movie, but since I've already seen buffy, andgel, kindred, JC vampires, the blade trilogy, and  god knows how many other generic vampire movies I can tell you AI saw noting in the trailers that impressed me about this movie. You'd be better off waiting for the upcoming  Darren Shan trillogy, than waste your money on this, as I've seen no evidence of anything remarkable about the picture... 
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Colgatecrusader

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 14, 2008, 02:49:49 PM

Lack of originality, I presume. Either way, I wouldn't dismiss all fanfiction as being lackluster. I've seen some truly fantastic examples. One of them did more justice to a certain Harry Potter character than the actual author did. (Granted, the character was one who never received much positive exposition until the final book - and no, it was NOT Draco Malfoy.)

yes, i'm a hardcore gargoyles fan, and have been meaning to read the fanfic's about what happens after the second season (the third doesn't count) but never got around to it.

Angel

That would be because of the Internet, and Rules 34-36. Stupid people are a majority, and the Internet gives everyone a voice. So stupid people are abundant on the internet as they are everywhere in life. As for fanfiction, well, it depends on what type of fanfiction you're talking about. I think you can find or write quality fanfiction as long as you follow a few rules. Among them are:

Mary Sues/Marty Stus are off-limits. No exceptions. NONE.
Keep everyone in character. If you can't, don't write it.
Spell correctly and use good grammar.
OCs are okay, but make every effort to keep them from being a Mary Sue. If this is impossible, don't write the fic.
No extreme Deus Ex Machina. The bravest writers can hurt their favorite characters.
There is no such thing as perfection.
Accept constructive criticism, and avoid flame wars.
Know how to laugh at yourself and the series for which you are writing.

...You know, I think there should a fanfiction MLA handbook.

EDIT: Quick question: are second-person perspective fics (self-insertions, i.e., "you did this") and Mary-Sue fics the same thing? I don't think they're EXACTLY the same...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Caswin

(Insert lyrics from a Joe Hickerson song here.  I wish I could find it again.  It involves the pun, "...you'll have to look in vein.")

Saw it today after repeated and stressed endorsements from a friend.

There's been worse.  A lot worse.  Although that may be partly due to how I watched it, what with all the forewarning flying around.  As less a traditional love story and more a character study of "teenage girl utterly blinded to reason by hormones (who happens to luck out in this case and get a decent guy)" and "quasi-teenage vampire boy with multiple issues only some of which are preternatural in nature," it stood up fairly well.

Our friend Mr. Pattinson helped a lot in that department.  He made an extremely effective, unnerving creepy guy with just a hint of "just eccentric?" in his early scenes.

The vampires.  On their own, they're a respectable, fairly original breed of fantastic creature.  But actually attaching the "vampire" label to them is pushing it.  If they really have to use that word, I would have appreciated a line to the effect of "that's what we call ourselves, it's close enough."  I did enjoy Edward's "As if" speech, though Bella's reaction had to be filed back under, "lalala, she's not thinking clearly, and neither is anyone who thinks she is."

(Just before that, when she's figured out what she is and promptly strikes off to confront him, in the forest, alone - was anyone else screaming, at least in their minds, for her to stay in a public area and notify the police at the first opportunity?  "You're going the wrong way, Bella!"  I think that's actually about when I settled on my "not in her right mind" interpretation.)

Cold-skinned, blood-drinking pale creeper.  "Say it out loud!"  If that doesn't turn into some kind of meme...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Jigsaw Forte

Objection!

... Do I even have to say it?  :rolleyes

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd vote for PTerry's vampires, only I don't think they pass the "serious" muster...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on December 20, 2008, 06:08:18 PM

Objection!

I had actually forgotten about you. :b
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 20, 2008, 06:36:06 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on December 20, 2008, 06:08:18 PM

Objection!

I had actually forgotten about you. :b

You... you mean that night in Minsk meant NOTHING to you?!  :cry

Is cool. Technically Vampires are a subset of Djinn in the LR mythos anyway, so maybe they fall under the "Well, Vampire is just the most convenient thing to call them" theory.

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 20, 2008, 06:32:39 PM
I'd vote for PTerry's vampires, only I don't think they pass the "serious" muster...
Serious, no, but he does take and treat them seriously. I'd say they count as the "good" kind of vampires. And The Dresden Files 'verse has some good vampires too: if I recall, the only reason that the "sexy" vampires are sexy is to make it easier to attract their prey. And of course, both of those universes have multiple types of vampires so they get to eat their cake and have it too.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me