It's Twilight Time...

Started by Alondro, November 24, 2008, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Oh boy, another vampire movie.

It made tons of money, even though it's pretty much generic vamp fare and got generally poor reviews.

My favorite review so far:  "I'm glad I saw Twilight for one reason: It made the phrase jump the shark obsolete, to be potentially replaced with 'The vampires are playing baseball'."

Bah, vampires are pussies.  Can't even take a lil UV. 

*thinks*  Hmm... I wonder... were CFCs part of a plot to rid the world of vampires by detroying the ozone layer and killing them with the excessive UV radiation!?   :U

If so, I suspect the saucer people and the Rand Corporation's involvement!   :paranoid
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Reese Tora

Quote from: Alondro on November 24, 2008, 11:11:14 AM
Oh boy, another vampire movie.

It made tons of money, even though it's pretty much generic vamp fare and got generally poor reviews.

My favorite review so far:  "I'm glad I saw Twilight for one reason: It made the phrase jump the shark obsolete, to be potentially replaced with 'The vampires are playing baseball'."

Bah, vampires are pussies.  Can't even take a lil UV. 

*thinks*  Hmm... I wonder... were CFCs part of a plot to rid the world of vampires by detroying the ozone layer and killing them with the excessive UV radiation!?   :U

If so, I suspect the saucer people and the Rand Corporation's involvement!   :paranoid

According to my sister, in the book the movie is based in, the vampires avoid sunlight becasue it makes them glow all rainbowy.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tipod

I considered catching the free screening at my college, but how I could say "One ticket for Twilight, please" and still retain my dignity?
Or manhood, for that matter?
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tipod on November 24, 2008, 01:30:53 PM
I considered catching the free screening at my college, but how I could say "One ticket for Twilight, please" and still retain my dignity?
Or manhood, for that matter?

While wearing a thick hoodie, sunglasses, and a fake beard.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Fragmaster01

This was enough to make me question why they would even want to make a movie on this book: http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/130432.html
From the small bits I've read, Twilight reads like a bad fanfic with good spelling(if that's even possible).
And that's terrible.

superluser

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on November 24, 2008, 01:50:46 PMWhile wearing a thick hoodie, sunglasses, and a fake beard.

I think a fake beard would look a little strange on top of my real beard.

Still, I even managed a smile when I asked for a ticket to An American Carol(*), so I don't know what to tell Tipod.

(*) I panicked when I found out that other people were also seeing it, and that's the expression that came up

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Rakala

To me, Twilight has been described as "the next Harry Potter". After reading the first book I agree with that statement, but in the way I see Harry Potter. Good story but over-hyped to the point of annoying.

lucas marcone

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on November 24, 2008, 02:53:39 PM
This was enough to make me question why they would even want to make a movie on this book: http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/130432.html
From the small bits I've read, Twilight reads like a bad fanfic with good spelling(if that's even possible).
And that's terrible.

Hehehe heres a thought, maybe we should have Icarus read it aloud. Her Oscar winning preformance in the Mab fan fics made me sad she didn't do more.

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on November 24, 2008, 03:30:20 PM
Quote from: Ryudo Lee on November 24, 2008, 01:50:46 PMWhile wearing a thick hoodie, sunglasses, and a fake beard.

Still, I even managed a smile when I asked for a ticket to An American Carol(*), so I don't know what to tell Tipod.

(*) I panicked when I found out that other people were also seeing it, and that's the expression that came up

Well, you see, this is when you get some bits of wire and twiddle them in to your side burns and loop them over your ears to give the impression of wearinga  badly made fake beard.  It might also help to stuff some empty pillow cases into your shirt so they hang out and give the impression that you have stuffed pillows into your shirt to affect a paunch.  This is the UU approved method for going, unrecognized, to a popular movie.

Sunblink

This is the only thing Twilight-related I have ever read and loved. Yes, this is a parody of Twilight. Yes, it is amazing.

Weirdly, my favorite movie critic's criticisms of the movie were pretty much identical to the complaints people have made regarding the books.

Mao

I'm not sure I can bring myself to go watch this.  I'm all for things dark and 'gothy', but as I hear more and more about this.. it sounds less and less dark and 'gothy' and more and more sappy and 'wangsty'.  The description that I've heard so far that stands out to me is that this is essentially Underworld but for teenage girls... which isn't a strong motivation to go see it.  Could someone please confirm or deny whether I'll be wasting a good $10 if I go see this?

thegayhare

Quote from: Reese Tora on November 24, 2008, 10:38:16 PM
Quote from: superluser on November 24, 2008, 03:30:20 PM

Well, you see, this is when you get some bits of wire and twiddle them in to your side burns and loop them over your ears to give the impression of wearinga  badly made fake beard.  It might also help to stuff some empty pillow cases into your shirt so they hang out and give the impression that you have stuffed pillows into your shirt to affect a paunch.  This is the UU approved method for going, unrecognized, to a popular movie.

Yay anouther pratchett fan...

I was trying to think of that myself

*giggles*

lucas marcone

Quote from: Mowser on November 25, 2008, 09:52:02 AM
I'm not sure I can bring myself to go watch this.  I'm all for things dark and 'gothy', but as I hear more and more about this.. it sounds less and less dark and 'gothy' and more and more sappy and 'wangsty'.  The description that I've heard so far that stands out to me is that this is essentially Underworld but for teenage girls... which isn't a strong motivation to go see it.  Could someone please confirm or deny whether I'll be wasting a good $10 if I go see this?

I'm guessing you're right in not seeing it, for i haven't seen it myself. vampire stories tend to be wangsty, preteen "gothic" love stories. i like to call it what it is, emo. it's like harry potter with it's balls cut off.

... on a hilarious side note, the spell check wanted to turn "emo" to "Elmo"

superluser

Quote from: thegayhare on November 25, 2008, 11:45:02 AMYay anouther pratchett fan...

I was trying to think of that myself

*giggles*

Which book was that in?

Edit: now that I think of it, it was probably in Moving Pictures, right? (I haven't gotten there yet)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes. Moving Pictures.

Since that's where Holy Wood invades Ankh Morpork...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

yep moving pictures... though the fake beard with hooks does make an apearance in hogfather too

Angel

I'll admit when it comes to vampires, I am not an unbiased source (hellsingdevilmaycryvampirehunterddraculasalem'slot), but even then, I thought Twilight was okay. The leading girl's acting definitely picked up towards the end, and I like the baseball scene. Of course, I haven't QUITE finished the book yet (a friend reads it to me over the phone), but again, I thought the movie was all right. Even my friend liked it, and she's a firm believer in books over movies.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Zedd

Alondro

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rakala

Yes, yes they do. Although for a vampire story, I prefer True Blood and the books it's based off of.

bill

That limited-release Swedish vampire flick got some really good buzz from film festivals. "Let the Right One In", I think.

But yeah, vampire films are terrible on the whole.

Dakata

Twilight sucks, twilight sucks, it's just a bunch of mary sue crap, twilight sucks, etc.

If I hear one more girl at my school blab about how Edward is ZOMG THE PERFECT GUY and how twilight is the best thing everrrr, I'm gonna snap.

Quote from: Reese Tora on November 24, 2008, 01:04:11 PM
According to my sister, in the book the movie is based in, the vampires avoid sunlight becasue it makes them glow all rainbowy.
Nope.

They SPARKLE.

http://shinga.deviantart.com/art/Head-Trip-Twilight-Sucks-85504254

Elieana

I went to see this with my sister because, well, it's my sister. She wanted me to go, so I went with her. She was so upset with me (and a bit with the movie for "leaving a lot of things out") by the end because I was practically laughing my ass off through almost the entire film! I knew before hand that the book was poorly written, but after seeing the movie, I know that not only is it poorly written but also the "true love" in the movie is nothing more than a sick (and slightly perverted) obsession between two people. When they kissed...omg she tried to tear his clothes off! Then he jumped back.. "No I am dangerous" yada yada, then continued to sit on the bed next to her.

So really, he's a creepy stalker who wants to eat her (he watches her sleep every night for literally months), and she's a horny teenager who is in love with something based only on looks. (If you ever happen to skim through the book, the only things she has to say about Edward is how Godly and perfect he is...)

But yes.. not even I enjoyed it for the "romantic tale" it supposedly is.

Robbychu

Twilight makes me want to barf. It's like Eragon, only a F-grade "romance" novel. And that just makes me weep many single tears. :blarf

I wish publishers would stop churning out crap like this so that the people who can actually write get published. But no, they're too busy going "OMG young author WE MUST HAVE YOU AND YOUR SOUL SO WE CAN ADVERTISE YOU AS 'NEW J. K. ROWLING' AND GET MONEYGOLDS."

Well... let's just say there's a reason my mom asked my sister to take my brother to see it. I DISAPPROVE OF THIS NONSENSE. >(
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Nikki

I am being dragged to see it this Saturday. During said movie i will be attempting to leave but will be boxed in by my so-called 'friends' (Who after this movie, will be called 'EX-friends') I'd rather watch Eragon. At least Jeremy Irons is in it.

From my point of view, Twilight is a disease created by the government to corrupt young teenage girls.

VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE, DANGIT!!

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Reese Tora

Quote from: Dak on November 26, 2008, 11:06:05 PM
Quote from: Reese Tora on November 24, 2008, 01:04:11 PM
Nope.

They SPARKLE.

glow, sparkle, tomato, to-mah-toe
(let's call the whole thing off)

My older sister kinda wants to see it (she's 28 for cryin' outloud!) but she's avoiding it until she can go when school is in session adn all the teen girl squads are in class.

She suggested that the movie would be of interest to furries.. or, rather, later books in the series once they introduce the werewolf... I don't wanna know what was done to werewolves if the vampies <i>sparkle</i>. (is't anime, bishonen sparkles? bleah  :yuck )

Nikki

The Werewolves are cool. I liked them.

one out of two things i liked in said books.

The movie, through commercials, are ticking me off. They didn't get the right actor for Edward. Nor for Emmet. or Alice.

Fail. Fail HARD.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Elieana

Quote from: Xze-Xze on November 27, 2008, 03:18:30 AM
From my point of view, Twilight is a disease created by the government to corrupt young teenage girls.

Hah! Could be, could be.

This book's "relationship" is mainly based on looks, which is a BAD MESSAGE TO SENT TO YOUNG GIRLS (most who by the way are ALREADY shallow and pretty moronic.) Also, it appears that this is the sick fantasy love of the author, who, by the look of things, doesn't really understand how relationships are really suppose to work. Another bad message to send out to the readers. Relationships aren't suppose to be obsessive to the point of "IF YOU LEAVE ME THE WORLD WILL IMPLODE" or "you are my life now" <- Wtf co-dependency.

So this book furthers my beliefs that the "New York Times 'Bestsellers'" are not meant to introduce us to good literature (at least not anymore), but rather feed us garbage to dumb us down so that over generations of time we are unable to come up with logical reasons/thoughts of our own... makes it easier for our rights and freedoms to be taken away if we don't know better.

Nikki

I'm just scared for if they make #2 and onwards into movies.

ANGSTANGSTANGST

Not to mention SUICIDE ATTEMPTS that SHOULD work but do NOT.

Oh, and the fact they butchered the movie so much that they took out all the KEY ELEMENTS scares me because OMFG ARE THEY GONNA TAKE OUT JACOB TOO!?!?!

Seriously. Jacob Black. Thus far, best developed character. Loves him. I admit that i'm a fangirl. Wheeeeee... :boogie

Got a sneak peek from a friend's cell phone recording (KRIS, YOU BAD BOI!)...and...the sparkles. oh god. No.

I'mma go make my own movie version. It'll be better. And there'll only be a total of 2 actors in the whole thing. it'll still be better.

SORRY FOR THE RANTNESS and possibly not making sense.  :B

OOooooo and Squeeness!! A quote from Patterson (Guy who plays Edward) and i wants to luffle him <3

Quote"When you read the book," says Pattinson, looking appropriately pallid and interesting even without makeup, "it's like, 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.' I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that's how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got some issues there."