Difficulty with Sticky keys>

Started by Rakala, December 16, 2008, 12:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

I am currently having trouble with the sticky keys feature on my computer to the point of causing myself physical pain< which is why my punctuation is off> Does anybody know how to just plain turn it off after it"s been turned on? I can"t even type in a website< the only reason I can post this is because I was already here>

On another note whoever thought this was a good idea should be dragged out into the snow and shot>

Ryudo Lee

In Windows XP it's under Accessibility Options, in your Control Panel.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

more or less the same under Debian, and Ubuntu.

Both of whom usually say something along the lines of "you know, you've been leaning on a key a bit much, do you want me to turn sticky keys on?", giving you a chance to decline...  I presume you weren't paying enough attention at the time, or something?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

GabrielsThoughts

I'm guessing this is the new computer problems thread?

ok, my computer says: system fan has failed, service your computer immediately. is it really nessesary to service the computer if the fan is out?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 18, 2008, 10:36:07 AM
ok, my computer says: system fan has failed, service your computer immediately. is it really nessesary to service the computer if the fan is out?
Depends if you're happy with replacing the motherboard, processor, power supply and possibly hard disks when it overheats and cooks itself.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jack McSlay

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 16, 2008, 04:40:06 PMmore or less the same under Debian, and Ubuntu.

Both of whom usually say something along the lines of "you know, you've been leaning on a key a bit much, do you want me to turn sticky keys on?", giving you a chance to decline...  I presume you weren't paying enough attention at the time, or something?
problem is this feature in windows is bugged, often causing the keyboard input to get messed up, I had to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard whenever that happened.

either way, that popup is very unruly. It's better to switch it off on control panel.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 18, 2008, 10:40:09 AMDepends if you're happy with replacing the motherboard, processor, power supply and possibly hard disks when it overheats and cooks itself.
If it's an Intel it won't fry, but it will be slow to the point of becoming unusable. I once had to work on a Dell/Intel with a fan measuring about 120mm that barely did any actual cooling. during summer, soon it would hang terribly and i often had it freeze altogether.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on December 18, 2008, 05:35:14 PM
either way, that popup is very unruly. It's better to switch it off on control panel.
Yes.  It's taken the system down before now.  I've used a form of PWM in Oblivion, tapping the CTRL key at regular intervals to get Cat Dude to move at exactly the right speed.  Before I turned the feature off, this would cause the Sticky Keys window to come up.  Oblivion, the GDI and DirectX then got into a massive fight at which point it was impossible to shut Windows down at all without using the big red switch.

Gabriel, regarding the fan, you might want to read this:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4915.msg216235.html#msg216235

Quote from: Jack McSlay on December 18, 2008, 05:35:14 PM
If it's an Intel it won't fry, but it will be slow to the point of becoming unusable. I once had to work on a Dell/Intel with a fan measuring about 120mm that barely did any actual cooling. during summer, soon it would hang terribly and i often had it freeze altogether.

Here's another horror-story about dead fans.  It was an Intel machine too, I might add >:3
This was a Linux box I had under my desk at work, some old P3-550 that no-one else wanted.  One day I used the KVM switch to get into it and noticed to my surprise that it wasn't where I'd left it.  I logged in, and it rebooted.  I left it for a bit, and when I came back and tried to log in, it rebooted again, before I even hit the 'Ok' button or whatever.  Since Linux generally doesn't do this kind of thing unless something is critically wrong, I switched the box off for a few moments and then tried to power it back up.  It wouldn't.

When I took the case off, this great wave of searing heat came out of the thing.  I practically burnt myself touching the metal.  We managed to pull the disk from it (after it had been left to cool for about 30 minutes) but that was the only part which still worked.  The rest of it was a write-off.
So yes, the fans are a lot more important than they might seem.  Bear in mind this was in the UK, which is not exactly known for its tropical weather.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 18, 2008, 10:36:07 AM
I'm guessing this is the new computer problems thread?

Hm... It says "system fan", and NOT "CPU fan". If it said CPU fan, you shouldn't run it at all until you get it fixed. If its just a case fan... Well, it depends on how many others are in the case and the temperatures you are running at without it. I suggest downloading Speedfan and checking what sort of temperatures you are running at.

If indeed things are running sort of hot, one temporary(I.E. while you are waiting for Newegg to ship you a replacement) measure is to take the case side off, and if you need more cooling, aim a box-fan at it. That ought to help.

Note: If you do have to replace the fan, they are very cheap. You can get a new fan of pretty much any size for less than $10, and most for half that.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on December 19, 2008, 04:40:51 AM
Hm... It says "system fan", and NOT "CPU fan". If it said CPU fan, you shouldn't run it at all until you get it fixed. If its just a case fan... Well, it depends on how many others are in the case and the temperatures you are running at without it. I suggest downloading Speedfan and checking what sort of temperatures you are running at.

It's worth mentioning that both the systems I've mentioned died when their case fans went out.  On the server in the link, the CPU fan had also seized up but things didn't get out of hand until the case fan choked as well.

In the P550, I think it was actually a passively-cooled CPU.  Again, it was the loss of the case fan that took it out.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on December 19, 2008, 04:40:51 AMHm... It says "system fan", and NOT "CPU fan". If it said CPU fan, you shouldn't run it at all until you get it fixed. If its just a case fan... Well, it depends on how many others are in the case and the temperatures you are running at without it. I suggest downloading Speedfan and checking what sort of temperatures you are running at.

-RobbieThe1st
As far as I'm concerned, any normal computer has only 2-4 fans: one on the CPU, one on the power supply, and in some cases, on the GPU and on the motherboard controller as well.

Therefore if system fan is not reffering to the CPU, it should be reffering to the motherboard controller fan (if his motherboard has one) which is not any less critical than having the CPU fan dead
"system fan" could be reffering to the power supply, but there isn't any power supply (for desktops at least) that can have its temperature/cooler monitored that I heard of
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on December 19, 2008, 06:39:00 AM
"system fan" could be reffering to the power supply, but there isn't any power supply (for desktops at least) that can have its temperature/cooler monitored that I heard of

Since the case fans generally remove the heat extracted by the CPU, graphics and chipset fans, a failure in the case fan will increase the CPU core temperature.  While not as reliable as a dedicated temperature probe, it will give some indication if things are going badly amiss.
One of the systems I have here (in fact the replacement for the dead P550) starts to overheat in summer unless the cover is off.

RobbieThe1st

As far as I'm concerned, any normal computer has only 2-4 fans: one on the CPU, one on the power supply, and in some cases, on the GPU and on the motherboard controller as well.
I suppose you are right, its just that the last two PCs I have used all have a large number of fans - The last one had 3 case fans(two in the front; one in the back), plus one on the CPU, one on the GPU, and two in the power supply(Total: 7), and my current setup has 5/4 case fans(1/2 in the front[one currently disabled], two in the back, one on the top, and one in the side), one CPU fan, one GPU fan, and one PSU fan(total of 8/7).
Note: My current motherboard has at least three motherboard-controlled-fan connectors, and my new one has at least 6, three with thermistor-inputs.

Therefore if system fan is not reffering to the CPU, it should be reffering to the motherboard controller fan (if his motherboard has one) which is not any less critical than having the CPU fan dead
I would consider it a little less critical as you could take the case side off and it would probably work fine; I seriously doubt it would work as well if you did the same thing with the CPU fan out, although I could be wrong.

I would agree with you, but I used a power supply that had a fan-monitor connector built in(only had two wires out of the three - No red/power wire). it was an Antec TrueBlue 480W.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2008, 04:48:19 AM
In the P550, I think it was actually a passively-cooled CPU.  Again, it was the loss of the case fan that took it out.
I am actually kind of amazed that that worked at all; I have a P3-750 from which I had to remove the origional Intel fan and tape a 72MM case fan to to get decent temps(In retrospect though, I suppose it probably would have worked with the orig. fan... but at high temps - Though, still, with passive cooling... Amazing).

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on December 20, 2008, 04:56:29 AM
I am actually kind of amazed that that worked at all; I have a P3-750 from which I had to remove the origional Intel fan and tape a 72MM case fan to to get decent temps(In retrospect though, I suppose it probably would have worked with the orig. fan... but at high temps - Though, still, with passive cooling... Amazing).
It was not common, but it was done by some manufacturers.  Dell did it, and this particular box was an HP machine.  You had a huge, huge heatsink with lots of vanes on it.