[Art] Kipiru Starrider's Art- Space Adventurer Tania(Updated 11/08/09)

Started by Kipiru, August 24, 2008, 06:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipiru

Usefull- yes, expected- also. As I said this was a first time attempt at coloring and I picked the first picture that came to my mind- this one. It was never scanned, this is done over a photographed image and since it was a looooong work in progress some of the techniques vary as I learned new tricks along the way. Not nearly my best in terms of color, but holds a special place for me.  :mowhappy

Kipiru

And here are two new pics from the Unicorn:

Elf Druid

Druid magic -NSFW- NUDITY!!!

Here, for the first time I tried using painted lines (check the jewels and the strings on the hair).

llearch n'n'daCorna

The colouring of the magic one suggests that the nipples are on a different plane to the rest of her. Possibly something to do with the lines around the edge, or perhaps not.

I'll have a closer look (So to speak...) when I'm not at work. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kipiru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 07, 2009, 10:56:01 AM
The colouring of the magic one suggests that the nipples are on a different plane to the rest of her. Possibly something to do with the lines around the edge, or perhaps not.

That has to do with me experimenting with colored lines  :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

As I said - I'll perform a slightly less "scan and close" look, and critique, when I don't have people looking over my shoulder. ;-]

Mao

Quote from: Kipiru on January 05, 2009, 04:09:51 PM
And here is personal favourite of mine, I've been making this pic for about 3 years now- a little bit at a time! It was actually the my first attempt at photoshop coloring. Now it's finished!

scorpicore demoness

I love the detail in this one, but there's a couple of spots where the details get kinda messed up by what looks like a blur or smudge effect.  Mainly near anywhere you're trying to create a shine effect it seems.

Quote from: Kipiru on January 07, 2009, 10:48:26 AM
And here are two new pics from the Unicorn:

Elf Druid

Druid magic -NSFW- NUDITY!!!

Here, for the first time I tried using painted lines (check the jewels and the strings on the hair).

While I couldn't look at the second one for obvious reasons (curse you stupid office, cuuuuurse yoooouuu!)  I thought the first one was very nice.  What really stood out was the way the shadows were done.  To me they seem better on this one than some of your previous showings.

Kipiru

Yeah, the whole technique on the Scorpicore Demoness is messed up, but I didn't have the nerve to start it all over to fix things, so the end result is very flawed!
As for the shadowing of the Elf Druid- as much as I would like to take credit for a great advancement in the shadowing department- it was just a simple picture with easy shadowing!

Gabi

Oooh, pretty!

The wolf looks cute, though it seems like it doesn't want to be there. The elf druid looks great.

The second elf looks rather... gifted for her body build.

Nice leaves!

In my experience, shading is never easy.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, I see what the issue is (now that I'm not at work and can gaze for a few minutes without looking like a perv...)

You've coloured almost all the lines in black, other than the coloured nipples and the area between the breasts. A little more on the hands, and the face, but mostly that's about it. Which is why those look like they've been smudged in, and don't match the rest of the pic.

Other than that, it's nicely done. The curves for the line from hip to shoulder could do with a bit of work, as they're not quite even, nor are they uneven in the right way - there are muscle definitions, and bones (the ribcage) and the lines don't appear to take that into account.

You've got a heck of a talent, though. Feel free to grumble at the critique. ;-]

Kipiru

Grumble? Getting critique is one of the reasons I post my stuff here! I enjoy the praise, but I get enough of that from my friends here. What I need is an objective point of view that can show me my mistakes. I've learned a lot from you guys commenting on my art, so keep it up.
So, for the shade lines not being even is true, but I am doing all my coloring with a mouse, so I really think that problem should go away once I get myself a tablet. Till then I'm struggling with my hand shaking the mouse out of a straight line and making finer details impossible to do, so that's a huge hold back for me.

WhiteFox

Druid: Can you believe the first thing I thought was "Wait, Night Elves can be druids, but not Blood elves..."

I've been playing way too much World of Warcraft.

Anyway... On the druid magic pic: I don't know if it's a matter of style or not, but the neck is very, very long. It looks like you've got a full head height between the chin and the collarbone, and another head height from the collar bone to the sternum. That extra height between the collar bone and the sternum is probably making the arms look really long too, since the arms are as long as the torso overall. The legs might look long for the same reason: the distance between the top of the head and the groin is the same as the distance from the groin to the feet.

(The entire torso can be measured in head heights: the top of head, chin, sternum, belly button, and groin are all a head height apart. The wrist is level with the groin and the elbow is half way between the wrist and shoulder. Placing the feet is a matter of measuring the whole height of the body and doubling it. You probably knew most of that already though.)

Actually, since I brought up the collarbones, they should twist up a bit to rest on top of the shoulders rather then in the middle/front of them.

The forearm muscles look a little off, since they bulge near the elbow. There is a little bulge, but it's not usually that noticeable in the outline.  The wrist is usually half as thick as the widest point of the forearm, when in profile.

The hands would look more dynamic if the fingers were splayed rather then mitten-posed.

The nipples on a person usually face forward and centered in the middle of the breast, for the most part. Hers look spread really wide, which makes it look like her nips are off center or her boobs are flying sideways. The shape of the breasts themselves isn't bad, tho.

The leaves all seem to face the camera. Once I noticed this, the leaves started looking really flat overall.

Now that that's all out of the way, I like the shading and her face has a lot of expression to it. The body language is pretty dynamic, without resorting to an extreme pose. The shading looks pretty good, to me, though it could be a little bolder in places. And I love the ears... I can never do good elf ears. Or pubic hair. Yeah... So. Anyway.

Not sure what to say about the not-nude elf druid pic, most of what I said above about the anatomy still applies. I think her tiara, clasp, and the cords in her hair should be lined in black. I love the wolf, he's great. The fluff coming down from his cheeks doesn't look very wolfy, but that might just be me. Great expression, envy the ears, and the highlights for the coat rumples aren't bad.

Oh, and I notice these don't have that gray-line effect the previous pics have. Way to go.  :)

Quote from: Kipiru on January 07, 2009, 05:40:56 PM
Grumble? Getting critique is one of the reasons I post my stuff here! I enjoy the praise, but I get enough of that from my friends here. What I need is an objective point of view that can show me my mistakes. I've learned a lot from you guys commenting on my art, so keep it up.

Glad to oblige. Let me know if I'm getting too critical.

I've found that when you show your friends your stuff, you get some praise or some surprise. Showing stuff to other artists is the best way to get something constructive back, and those kinds of comments are invaluable.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Kipiru

No, Fox, you are not getting too critical, I enjoy your comments. Plus I've been hearing this a lot lately- I need to work on my anatomy, excluding ears and pubic hair apparently :) Btw doing pubic hair isn't at all that difficult, as long as you can wrap your mind around the idea that it's just hair.

Kipiru

Mao

Curse you and your color and shading... curse you... xD

Looks pretty sweet man, I couldn't look for long for obvious reasons, but it looks like you've really improved on the color and on the faces.  Previously I found them kinda flat and almost shiny looking with the way you did your shading (though you did clarify that those ones were older) but now this looks a lot better.  Kudos.  :3

Tapewolf

The shading is nice, yes.  The leg structure is good, though perhaps they're a little spindly for that much weight.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

And here is my own version of catwoman  :mowhappy

catwoman -a bit NSFW

This one has been in the works for some time and I finally finished it while experimenting with Burn and Dodge.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mao

Makes me think of a white Eartha Kitt...and with a way more revealing cat suit.

WhiteFox

All the heavy dark coloring make it a little hard to read, since all the black-on-black-on-black make the contours imperceptible. Especially where the arm overlaps the hair and the torso; I have to look long and hard to sort out what kind of pose her arm and hand is in. I suppose that's the nature of the beast, considering she's wearing a lot of black.

The belts on the thighs don't seem well placed. Moving them down, to just above the knee, would take them off the center of the muscle mass. As they are, they'd constrict the muscles on the thigh.

The anatomy/proportions looks pretty good, and the pose look dynamic, if a bit extreme (But hey, what's not to love about extreme?) The hands are well done. Even though they have little definition (Again, because of the black-on-black), they still look like hands.

Two things that stand out, and this might be considered a matter of style, are the eyes and hair. I know I've commented on this before, but that style of eyes is very generic and uncomplicated. The hair terminates in a flat edge, and has highlighting that make the ends look like they were dipped in latex. Which, actually, might fit the outfit, but doesn't look all that fibrous.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 22, 2009, 06:25:43 AM
Meow.
I'll second that. Meyow.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Gabi

Nice work. I think yoou've done a better job with the proportions on this one.

Kipiru

And here is the commission for Tapewolf- my version of Jakob

Jakob Pettersohn

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on January 25, 2009, 01:03:30 PM
Just to clarify, it was a request rather than a for-money commission.

He has turned out a little more evil than I was expecting, but other than that it's a good likeness and I'm very happy with it.

Kipiru

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 25, 2009, 01:48:30 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on January 25, 2009, 01:03:30 PM
Just to clarify, it was a request rather than a for-money commission.

He has turned out a little more evil than I was expecting, but other than that it's a good likeness and I'm very happy with it.

Hmm, I was going for a playfull grin, but I'm still glad you liked it. And, yes, thanks for correcting me- it was a request, not a payed commission. I still don't do this for the money  :mowwink

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Gabi

Pagan

Well, Cross certainly liked scaring people. I miss Cross.
Nice drawin', I liked it.   Sorry, I'm not much of an art critic.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on January 25, 2009, 03:38:01 PM
Well, Cross certainly liked scaring people. I miss Cross.
He was certainly fun to write.  That's one of the reasons for Jakob's occasional regressions.

WhiteFox

The shading looks a little unreal to me, but that might come down to style. I love the trench-coat.

I'd comment more, but the look he has is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

(OT: Why the heck doesn't my auto-spellchecker recognize heebie-jeebie?)

Lysander

Love the wings very much. Nice work on the coat too. I'd type this is one of your best pieces of work yet.    :januscat
TytajLucheek

Kipiru