[Art] Cheerleader Ziggy

Started by Ren Gaulen, February 10, 2008, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

Bahaha. I take full responsibility for Gar being familiar with the MGS2 parody. >:3

Either way, excellent comic, Ren. The second panel and the Censor Ocelot still make me laugh. XD

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 04, 2009, 08:17:30 PM
I've noticed you have a tendency to stop drawing by the ankles. Which isn't too major, but I admit it gets rather distracting at time when a bit of the art has their lower limbs fading into nothingness. In such cases of sequentional art, its usually better to just use the border-line to straight cut off than to leave them floating like that. Especially in white area.

That actually reminds me of something. There's a professional artist who uses a number of "shortcuts" to get out of drawing feet, but Ren would wipe the floor with him >:3

God I hate Rob Liefeld.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 05, 2009, 07:32:42 PM
Bahaha. I take full responsibility for Gar being familiar with the MGS2 parody. >:3

Either way, excellent comic, Ren. The second panel and the Censor Ocelot still make me laugh. XD
I actually discovered that comic through TV Tropes. :] And thanks, Keats. :3 I'm pretty sure Censor Ocelot will be popping up here and there in the future.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 05, 2009, 07:32:42 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on February 04, 2009, 08:17:30 PM
I've noticed you have a tendency to stop drawing by the ankles. Which isn't too major, but I admit it gets rather distracting at time when a bit of the art has their lower limbs fading into nothingness. In such cases of sequentional art, its usually better to just use the border-line to straight cut off than to leave them floating like that. Especially in white area.

That actually reminds me of something. There's a professional artist who uses a number of "shortcuts" to get out of drawing feet, but Ren would wipe the floor with him >:3

God I hate Rob Liefeld.
Argh. Now I have to read that article again. It's just too funny. :]

Brunhidden

you could always do the obvious alternative and give everyone peglegs

but still, shoes have got to be better then trying to draw twelve different kind of animal paw
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 05, 2009, 08:53:42 PM
you could always do the obvious alternative and give everyone peglegs

but still, shoes have got to be better then trying to draw twelve different kind of animal paw
The only reason I did not draw their feet is that they did not fit into the panel limits. Besides, Jay and Jy-Jy both have feet. But.. Peglegs.. Arrr... >:3

Brunhidden

we be havin a pirate dance parteh, yarrr! watch out fer splinters

Ren Gaulen

I hope you still remember Linda, that vixen from before.

This is Linda's personal mech nicknamed "Outlaw" by her. Official designation of this mech is Eisenraubtier, and it is one of Terran Panzerritters. It is rather fast and using an advanced anti-gravity harness that allows it to fly in the atmosphere and in space. It is rather fast and manoeuvrable, but lacks strength or durability to fair well in close combat. Its primary weapons are a heavy particle cannon that packs enough punch to be used even against siege armour, and a pair of remote drones armed with pulse lasers. It also has a twin ion gun and a plasma torch fixed on both forearms, and also plasma torches at the tip of each wing. A high frequency sword that the mech carries on its hip is more or less decorative, since, as I mentioned above, Outlaw is not a strong mech and won't fare well in melee.

Jairus

*looks*
Why does it have the Iron Rat's head for a chest?

Just teasing: nice mech, bro.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Amber Williams

You know Jairus...with the little dragon egg at its current status...at this particular time it looks sort of like your Jy-yap had a little accident. :B

Oh hey! Art!

D:!
Technology is my bane...I envy your ability to draw it.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 06, 2009, 11:59:06 AM
You know Jairus...with the little dragon egg at its current status...at this particular time it looks sort of like your Jy-yap had a little accident. :B

Oh hey! Art!

This... is not exactly how I like talking with people.

EDIT: Actually, call me a curious sadist... but I want to see what happens when a dragon egg dies. *removes egg from signature*

Ren Gaulen

Oh hey! Art!

I just watched too many anime with giant (or not too giant) robots. And I'm really not too good at it either. I am bad at drawing almost any technological stuff other than robots. :<

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 06, 2009, 12:09:30 PM
Oh hey! Art!

I just watched too many anime with giant (or not too giant) robots. And I'm really not too good at it either. I am bad at drawing almost any technological stuff other than robots. :<
That might explain a few things, really...

It's a good thing that none of your characters have a Cool Car, otherwise you'd be in trouble.

Amber Williams

Awww...now I can't claim you are a neglectful yappity owner. :P

I am just bad with technology in general. I lack the ability to make it look right. My artstyle is too squishy.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 06, 2009, 12:13:11 PM
Awww...now I can't claim you are a neglectful yappity owner. :P
Yep: just a neglectful dragon owner.

Just kidding, actually. I just abandoned it. The thing was taking up space... and I've got a second Yappity I want to stick in there.

I am just bad with technology in general. I lack the ability to make it look right. My artstyle is too squishy.
Actually, that's the thing I find so hard to emulate about your style: it's a lot more fluid than I'm used to drawing. You know, proportions and shapes that can change to suit the dramatic needs of the strip. It's a little confusing sometimes.

As for the technology... I need more practice drawing period, let alone technology. So I'm not going to critique you for something I can't really do.

Ren Gaulen

Mao

Quote from: Jairus on February 06, 2009, 12:15:43 PM
Actually, that's the thing I find so hard to emulate about your style: it's a lot more fluid than I'm used to drawing. You know, proportions and shapes that can change to suit the dramatic needs of the strip. It's a little confusing sometimes.
I've found it a bit difficult to emulate as well.  I've got something in the works though in which I'm really putting effort forth though and will hopefully somewhat resemble that style.

As for the technology... I need more practice drawing period, let alone technology. So I'm not going to critique you for something I can't really do.

Speaking of which, we haven't seen many drawings out of you lately.  *prodprod*  You were coming along quickly as I recall and I for one would like to see where you've gotten.

My artstyle is too squishy.

My co-workers and I felt that it was a toss up between:  Smooth, Curved or Rounded.  It turns out my recently appointed manager also reads your comic btw Amber.  I saw him reading it at work quite intently and used it to strike a conversation.

Jairus

Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 06, 2009, 12:29:46 PM
Speaking of which, we haven't seen many drawings out of you lately.  *prodprod*  You were coming along quickly as I recall and I for one would like to see where you've gotten.

Well, in order to see my drawings, I'd have to draw them. And I really haven't been. But you're right, and I'm planning to draw something this weekend. Maybe even write something. We'll see.

On topic, I actually like the "squishyness," since it makes your work seem more fluid and personal. I like that.

Brunhidden

*glares at jay for aborting potentially cute jyjy spawn*

having qualities like 'squishy' is impressive, theres so many descriptive terms which normally cant be applied to art unless you have such a unique style that its impossible to confuse you with anyone else. personally i always thought of you as having happy cheeks and snappy pants for your art style *shrug*. but having that special warmth and depth to your art should be much better then thinking 'squishy? awww, i wanted to be firm and perky', especially considering that other unique art styles are typically pointy or have unique edges as the only way they stand out

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 06, 2009, 10:52:44 AM
I hope you still remember Linda, that vixen from before.

This is Linda's personal mech nicknamed "Outlaw" by her. Official designation of this mech is Eisenraubtier, and it is one of Terran Panzerritters.

All I can think when I saw this entry, is how many SRW mechs I can read out of the names ;p *runs away giggling* (the answer is of course, the AltEisen, the Wildraubiter, and of course the Weissritter). I have no idea why it amuses me so much, maybe it's a "I know your inspiraaaaaaaations!" mad cackle.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 06, 2009, 06:00:41 PM
All I can think when I saw this entry, is how many SRW mechs I can read out of the names ;p *runs away giggling* (the answer is of course, the AltEisen, the Wildraubiter, and of course the Weissritter). I have no idea why it amuses me so much, maybe it's a "I know your inspiraaaaaaaations!" mad cackle.
You forgot to mention that it resembles Wildfalken. :P

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 06, 2009, 06:04:35 PM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 06, 2009, 06:00:41 PM
You forgot to mention that it resembles Wildfalken. :P

Cut me some slack, I've been playing with all the supers in Alpha Gaiden lately, not Original Generations ;p Shall we continue by... hmm... the drone looks like one of Cybuster's High Familiars? *grin* Though it does have Wildfalken's huge backwing boosters...
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

ShadesFox

Hee... one of these days I need to play those games X3

It seems like a lot of people are bad at drawing technology.  It makes me a sad foxie that can't get tech heavy commissions :<

Anyways, how are you with giant space battle ships?  Those can resemble mecha... or be mecha in disguise depending on taste...
The All Purpose Fox

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: ShadesFox on February 06, 2009, 07:33:05 PM
Anyways, how are you with giant space battle ships?  Those can resemble mecha... or be mecha in disguise depending on taste...
Oh, I love giant space battle ships. Homeworld FTW! :]

GabrielsThoughts

I assume the drone is to compensate for the lack of visibility. So...how limited is the vision should the drone be destroyed?

I know the drone can fly, but does it also have a force field to protect it from enemy fire?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on February 06, 2009, 11:27:51 PM
I assume the drone is to compensate for the lack of visibility. So...how limited is the vision should the drone be destroyed?

I know the drone can fly, but does it also have a force field to protect it from enemy fire?
No, the mech actually has a very good visibility, and the sensors in the "dome" on its head grant it almost 360 degrees of view. The drones are armed with pulse lasers and are needed to shoot down incoming missiles or small fast targets that are difficult to aim at (and you don't want to waste the energy of the particle cannon on), like other drones. Their lasers can also be used to harass other armoured targets from a safe position. They are best used against tanks, since they usually cannot retaliate. Well, if you are fighting in space, you won't find something as hapless and clumsy as a tank, but lasers become much more effective there, so you can even use them to fight space fighters. The drones indeed are protected by a force field, but it is actually a by-product of their gravity harness, and is not really strong enough to protect them from something like a shot from the same particle cannon.

Ren Gaulen

I decided to draw that dragon from before again.

While this dragon may be cute, waking him up is still a bad idea. :3

On the side note, argh, the wings. They are awkward as hell. The hind legs are too. And the perspective is confusing. :<

Tapewolf

It's definitely cute, and I thought the wings turned out rather well myself.  Or was it the effort it took to get them like that which is the source of your grief?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 07, 2009, 01:12:56 PM
It's definitely cute, and I thought the wings turned out rather well myself.  Or was it the effort it took to get them like that which is the source of your grief?
Exactly. I don't even remember how many times I erased and redrew the part where the wings attach to the back. And I still had to put them into a rather awkward position so that they would not cover the dragon himself.

ShadesFox

The All Purpose Fox

Kipiru

Again a great job Ren, especially on the face- he looks so peacefull. But I have to agree with your own conclusion on the hind legs and the perspective- it's a bit messed up. But still, a really good pic!

Ren Gaulen

A few days ago my little brother nearly paid with his life for idly making puns about some falling Dorc or something, and I had to help him get out of that situation. So I quickly drew this little picture.

Obviously, it got him out of sharing Dorc's fate. BUt don't you want to give him a hug? :3

And one more picture.

It's a character from Tapewolf's stories "Chronicles of Jakob Pattersohn" and "Future History of Jakob Pettersohn". He will be appearing in the "Project Future" as well - not very soon, though. Anyway, look! A colourful Cubi! :D