Soda Fudges

Started by thegayhare, January 01, 2008, 08:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

I'm planning on doing a few soda fudge experiments soon

and I wondered what sort of tastes folks think would be good?

I'm already planning a cream soda float fudge, a butter beer fudge, and a cherry-cola fudge

what do you folks think I should try? strawberry, grape, orange, ginger ale, ginger beer (could be interesting fudge with a bite), birch beer, sarsaparilla (never tasted it does anyone know what it tastes like) 

and what sort of combinations

I've also been thinking of maybe trying liqueur fudges

Don

Strawberry, just because it's commonly used for experiments, and strawberries with chocolate are usually good, and with fudge may be even better.

Damaris

Sarsaparilla is similar to cream soda, root beer, and birch beer, although somewhat different.  It's in the same family.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Faerie Alex

I happen to like ginger ale and fudge...dunno about together, but it might be worth trying.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Omega

Cranberries! Oh they make excellent juice.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: thegayhare on January 01, 2008, 08:06:30 PM
... sarsaparilla (never tasted it does anyone know what it tastes like) 

and what sort of combinations

Root beer is made from sarsaparilla root, so I assume they would taste the same or similar.

as for suggestions I found that banana, mayonnaise, and cranberry sauce has a uniquely tart flavor... just be sure to mix in lots of sugar.

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

rabid_fox

I'm not entirely sure what a soda fudge is - Google searches have only confused the issue further. Someone care to explain to a less cultured individual?

Oh dear.

thegayhare

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 05, 2008, 02:16:30 AM

I'm not entirely sure what a soda fudge is - Google searches have only confused the issue further. Someone care to explain to a less cultured individual?

2 years back I created a recipe for rootbeer float fudge
It was a huge success

so I decided to experiment further

only recently did I find a cheep supply of needed materials

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 05, 2008, 02:16:30 AMSomeone care to explain to a less cultured individual?

It's nothing to do with how cultured, you are per se, it's a languages and customs problem.  'Soda' means something quite different to Americans, but I can't quite remember what.

I have a vague feeling that it refers to what you or I would call 'lemonade', i.e. a sugary, carbonated drink that tastes faintly lemon-like.
What Hare is doing might be related to the old trick of pouring fizzy lemonade into a bowl, followed by a few scoops of ice-cream, resulting in a weird mess where the icecream floats in the lemonade while reacting to it.  At a guess he's also got other things floating around in it too.

Hmm.  That guess is either going to be right, or so painfully wrong that it may provoke others into explaining what he does mean  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

thegayhare

Ohhh I even think of it as a language problem.

Soda in the US usually refers to any range ofsugary carbonated beverages from colas to fruit flavors. 

how ever even in the US the term isn't universal,  down south all soda's can be called coke, some places call it tonic.

sorry about it 

Damaris

In some areas of the country, sodas also refer to "floats" which is ice cream in root beer, or coke, or some other brand of carbonated beverage.

Another term for soda, throughout the country are pop, or occasionally sodapop.  The universally are used to describe coke, pepsi, mountain dew, and other regional brands of drink of that nature.  I don't believe I've run across one that is lemon flavored, but Orangina might qualify.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

thegayhare

Ahh I knew I forgot one

Pop

And yeah I used to love floats
one of the reasons I call my rootbeer fudge a float fudge is the layers of vanilla flavored white chocolate I place on top

rabid_fox

You...put ice-cream in fizzy drinks? That's mental.

Oh dear.

bill

Coke floats are the best.

Root beer floats are the most traditional, but Coke is more popular, IIRC.

thegayhare

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 05, 2008, 09:31:37 PM

You...put ice-cream in fizzy drinks? That's mental.

No it's quite good

though it's been a few years since I've had a float.
hell it's been a year or so since I had either ice cream or soda either

GabrielsThoughts

root beer floats, and Coke floats are awesome!   
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Damaris

Oh, Rabidfox.  Get some vanilla ice cream, and put a scoop in a big glass of root beer or coca-cola (or something similar).  Let it sit for a few minutes, and then work on eating the ice cream (you'll need a spoon) and drinking it (you'll want a straw)-

it's amazing.  It gives the ice cream a difference texture, and it gives the drink a creamy consistency.  Delicious, in a word.

Darkmoon

It's best if you pour the soda over the ice cream. It makes the soda much creamier.

Coke + Chocolate Ice Cream = Win.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Janus Whitefurr

Ice-cream plus soft drink?

For whatever reason we call those "spiders" down here in Australia. Why, I don't know.

And I want one so bad. *kidnaps TGH* You'll make them for meeeee~
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

rabid_fox

I've never heard of this Devil Concoction until now and as someone who despises ice-cream and has spilled fizzy drinks over meals before, I can't say that any part of the 'float' concept appeals.

You all sicken me.

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Good, it's working, then. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

damn it...

I just got my order today and they left out the cream soda ingrediants... I just got cherry and cola, it's out of stock and since they didn't charge me for it I'm guessing it won't be shipped seperatly... I'll have to order from a seperate source. 

which sucks since this one was atleast 2 bucks cheaper then any other.

Oh well I'll pick up some ginger beer too while I'm at it

gh0st

anyways, praying to god that i will say something thats on topic, i would say make a dr.pepper and vanilla peice of fudge

thegayhare

Ohh I wish I could
but I can't get the stuff for a Dr Pepper fudge