This was a triumph. (Portal Thread *Spoilers*)

Started by Goatmon, October 12, 2007, 02:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannysaysnoo

I think Portal has a good fit as a Horror game.

thegayhare

I loved the turrets too

I think it's the voice that sells them though

they have the cutest dialog

and since we are on the subject of the turrets

Turret

and for fun here

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: thegayhare on December 09, 2007, 05:21:11 PM
I just finished it and I can honestly say I'd rather have a talking toy version of the Curiosity node
"Who are you?
"Whats that?"
"That thing has numbers."
"Look at that thing."
"Do you smell something burning"

I felt so bad for that cute little eyeball

"Nooooooooo what's wrong with your legs!? D:"
"Oooo, what's in he~re...."
"Are you coming back? :<"
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Netrogo

If we're talking plush nodes then I want the angry red one. I found the snarling adorable.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

thegayhare

What might be interesting is a GLaDOS alarm clock

See I've seen a clock designed to defeat snooze button pushers.  On that one a small plastic disc is launched straight up and the alarm won't stop going off till you find and replace it.

So a GlaDOS version would be cool where one of the three nodes would randomly be launched off.   Depending on the node the clock won't shut up till you replace it

LOL

I used portal wav files to make my own portal sound scheme mostly Turret vocals but I used curiosity node lines for usb device connect "What's that?" and disconnect "Are you coming back?"

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: thegayhare on December 10, 2007, 11:04:36 PM
What might be interesting is a GLaDOS alarm clock

See I've seen a clock designed to defeat snooze button pushers.  On that one a small plastic disc is launched straight up and the alarm won't stop going off till you find and replace it.

So a GlaDOS version would be cool where one of the three nodes would randomly be launched off.   Depending on the node the clock won't shut up till you replace it

LOL

I used portal wav files to make my own portal sound scheme mostly Turret vocals but I used curiosity node lines for usb device connect "What's that?" and disconnect "Are you coming back?"

My computer squeals "Nooooooooooooo what's wrong with your legs D:" whenever it has an error, now. </slowly building a soundset>
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Cvstos

Hey guys, I somehow got a turret to say "excuse me" when I knocked one into another.  It was in after test chamber 19, in the room with the busted turret.  Can anyone confirm this?  I've got the flu (and a final in an hour and a half) and I can't be sure I'm not just imagining things.

-edit- OK, I've been able to reproduce the effect.  The turret doesn't have to be online, but I think only one turret does it in the room...  it also says "sorry", "coming through", and "my fault". 

-edit again- OK, looks like all the turrets in that room do it.  Have I just not noticed this before?  Granted, any other point where these said stuff like this were likely muffled by the gunfire.

-edit one more time- I can't get the other turrets to do this.  Maybe it's just that room?
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

thegayhare

well there is a whole section od turrent collision sound files
and you seem to have heard them all
I never got them to do it
I've also never managed to get one to shoot anouther but there are sound files for that too

thegayhare

on a seperate note... has anyone noticedd something if not living atleast moving in the waste water? 

I've noticed something moving in the distance a few times I drowned

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: thegayhare on December 11, 2007, 09:31:22 AM
I've also never managed to get one to shoot anouther but there are sound files for that too

Pick one up and walk in front of another one.

The second will pick you up, and start shooting at you, and the first will start screaming "Stop shooting me!" and "Don't shoot!" and the like.

Slightly safer is picking one up and -throwing- it in front of another one. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Also, taking one through a energy barrier will cause it to disintegrate and make a horrible gurgling sound  :cry

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 11, 2007, 03:04:38 PM
Also, taking one through a energy barrier will cause it to disintegrate and make a horrible gurgling sound  :cry

Why would you take it through? you bad person!

Netrogo

That's awesome Bill. After I saw your post I went to that first 'live fire' course and gathered all the turrets infront of the end barrier, then threw them through it one by one. :mwaha Hilarity ensued.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Netrogo on December 11, 2007, 03:30:33 PM

That's awesome Bill. After I saw your post I went to that first 'live fire' course and gathered all the turrets infront of the end barrier, then threw them through it one by one. :mwaha Hilarity ensued.

i very rarely say this but,

Net, you sick son of a bitch!

I loved those turrets! and you killed them!

Netrogo

I also tried setting the orphanages in WoW on fire, damned unkillable kids :<

Oh and as if my actions weren't enough I may aswell say it. Unlike alot of people, I can't STAND the fucking turrets. Voices aside anything and everything that shoots at me while I'm trying to think is NOT my friend. Bad turrets! No invading my puzzle game!

Dannysaysnoo

Netrogo

Dannysaysnoo

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 11, 2007, 03:00:56 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on December 11, 2007, 09:31:22 AM

Pick one up and walk in front of another one.

The second will pick you up, and start shooting at you, and the first will start screaming "Stop shooting me!" and "Don't shoot!" and the like.

Slightly safer is picking one up and -throwing- it in front of another one. ;-]

you know I never thought to try that  I gues they simply track movement. 

I tried to manipulate the portals so a turret would be aimed at itself, but since it eas staring at a stationary turrent it never fired.

I just finished Ep 2 and I've got a few new theroies to bounce off folks if you don't mind.

At the end of 2 you find out about the Aperture Science ship Borialus.  They said it was a research vessel but from the glimpses you get of it it looks like it could be as large as a cargo container ship.  Do you think it might be possible that GLaDOS and the portal test chambers could be inside the Borialus?  It could explain the stagnant state of the waste water in the chambers as well as the amount of rust seen in the crawl spaces.

I was also thinking we couldn't have seen all of the equipment at GlaDOS's disposal.  The test chambers were clean and pristine for the most part.  There was no damaged turrets,  out of place cubes, or test subject remains in any of the chambers.  Also there were objects in spots with out dispensers.  So I'm guessing there must have been some sort of maintance robots.  Nothing fancy perhaps something similer to the skutters from Red Dwarf.  they weren't sen after you during the escape because they have little to no combat capability

Also do you think the Portal turrets might show up in EP 3?

Distracting

Well after you kill GlaDOS, you end up at what looks like a toll booth on a bright and sunny day. I'm not sure if a ship would have a toll booth and a forest around it, along with pavement.

What I am hoping for is the portal gun, at least. Take that, hunters! Take that!

thegayhare

Quote from: HeroZero on December 12, 2007, 12:53:36 AM
Well after you kill GlaDOS, you end up at what looks like a toll booth on a bright and sunny day. I'm not sure if a ship would have a toll booth and a forest around it, along with pavement.

What I am hoping for is the portal gun, at least. Take that, hunters! Take that!

Well it's also said that when the ship vanished so did part of the dry dock which could include a security checkpiont as well as some of the surrounding territory.

and the portal gun would be fun. 

After I played threw portal I kept picturing Gordan walking into a base and some one talking to him

"Well we found her wandering around the nearby.  We've no Idea how she's managed to survive this long.  When we found he she kept muttering something about missing her best freind,  and something about cake.  We brought her in and she's calmed down some what.  Every once in a while she'll still scream that she doesn't want cake when we bring her meals.  But she did have this cool gun maybe it'll come in handy"

Cvstos

Quote from: thegayhare on December 12, 2007, 01:04:15 AM
Quote from: HeroZero on December 12, 2007, 12:53:36 AM

Well it's also said that when the ship vanished so did part of the dry dock which could include a security checkpiont as well as some of the surrounding territory.

Reminds me of the Philadelphia Experiment.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

bill

Given the surroundings of Mossman's transmission, the ship is likely to be in a snowy, arctic area, not the forrest that you end up in at the end.

thegayhare

I'd thought about that.

The snowy conditions in Mossmans transmissions could be do to the season but that's probably stretching the point.

Another theory could be that the boroalus was indeed where GLaDOS was running her tests.  At the end when GLaDOS was destroyed, Chell was thrown clear, landing in the ruined drydock.  Then the wave of portal energey transported the ship away where GLaDOS is repairing herself.

It might be cool if when you break into the Borealus GLaDOS greets Gordan.

"Hello unauthorized personal, are you here for... cake?"

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: thegayhare on December 11, 2007, 01:15:04 PM
on a seperate note... has anyone noticedd something if not living atleast moving in the waste water? 

I've noticed something moving in the distance a few times I drowned

Once I cranked all the video settings to maximum, and played through it again, I took notice of something too.  I fell in the water, as usual... :(  But instead of hitting a key to restart, I got distracted by the television for a minute.  Then when I turned back to my monitor, I saw something moving in the water.  It's not a living thing, but there are floating bits in the water.  Just some kind of material, floating around in the water.  I think that's what you saw.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

bill

Has anyone tried trapping themselves with the timed doors? Theres at least two places where you can do it, and Glados makes some silly comments if you do.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 12, 2007, 05:30:09 PM
Has anyone tried trapping themselves with the timed doors? Theres at least two places where you can do it, and Glados makes some silly comments if you do.

i've got liquidated by them, does that count?

bill

no

easiest place to do this is in the big turret room in the second-to-last map.

Ryudo Lee

I don't know if the bug is still there, but you can get trapped in the room with the switch that you use to open the first incenerator.  If you prop up the companion cube on it's edge next to the door and then step on the switch, the cube will fall in the door and then the door will get stuck open.  And when you go in there, you'll be stuck.  Unlike other places where you can get stuck, GLaDOS won't say anything and you'll be in there for good.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Netrogo

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 12, 2007, 05:46:17 PM
no
easiest place to do this is in the big turret room in the second-to-last map.

I did it in that room with the bouncing orb of death in the middle and the rising platforms on either side. You have to hit buttons on either side to open too doors to the small room with the orb catchey thing in it. I cranked open the door then launched myself in. T'was funny, thanks for the tip Bill.