Duke Nukem Forever trailer to be released!

Started by superluser, December 18, 2007, 10:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think we'll ever actually see Duke Nukem Forever?

No.
2 (12.5%)
Yes.
2 (12.5%)
Ha ha very funny...no.
8 (50%)
Sure, after the company goes bankrupt (whenever that is)
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kenji

Somehow I picture this "teaser's" purpose to simply be...

"Haha, you'll never plaaaay iiiiit. Hahahaha." Tease.

Darkmoon

Jesus, doesn't this game ever die? Even if they released it now, no one would even be willing to buy it. It'd never live up to the hype that came and went or sorta just lingers pathetically.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Reese Tora

I voted when the company goes bankrupt.

I think that the game won't be finished and can't be commercially successful unless the stigme associated with the current company is washed away by a different company picking up the IP.

Also, at this point, the probably need to start over and create a more up to date engine to run the game, too.
(And inovate something or it'll come off as yet another FPS clone...)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on December 19, 2007, 12:10:12 AMAlso, at this point, the probably need to start over and create a more up to date engine to run the game, too.

As I understand it, that was why it was taking so long.  They wanted to make it perfect, so they kept scrapping the old engine as it got outdated.  And then they had to start development over again, which meant that they had a longer time to market, which meant that there was going to be an even newer system developed by the time that they got it to market, which meant that they'd have to scrap the old system and start all over...

This is why a release schedule of ``When it's done'' is a bad idea.

Darkmoon

Plus they kept bouncing between engines, from idTech to Unreal and around. It makes it diffcult to get used to and improve with an engine when you're doing that.

Goatmon

Quote from: superluser on December 19, 2007, 04:09:38 AM
Quote from: Reese Tora on December 19, 2007, 12:10:12 AMAlso, at this point, the probably need to start over and create a more up to date engine to run the game, too.

As I understand it, that was why it was taking so long.  They wanted to make it perfect, so they kept scrapping the old engine as it got outdated.  And then they had to start development over again, which meant that they had a longer time to market, which meant that there was going to be an even newer system developed by the time that they got it to market, which meant that they'd have to scrap the old system and start all over...

This is why a release schedule of ``When it's done'' is a bad idea.

This is also exactly why Starcraft: Ghost got scrapped. 

superluser

bill

Well, it's better than the Deus Ex 3 trailer.  :U

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 19, 2007, 01:07:08 PM
Well, it's better than the Deus Ex 3 trailer.  :U

I wish i could retort to that, but the trailer is fubar.

Darkmoon

The pre-rendered CG was rather bad. However, the in game graphics look decent enough. Not so bad that you'd go "ewww".

Of course, that's taken from what screen caps they showed, without any real gameplay footage to get in-depth with.

superluser

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 19, 2007, 04:20:00 PMThe pre-rendered CG was rather bad. However, the in game graphics look decent enough. Not so bad that you'd go "ewww".

For a game that's been in development for 10 years, you'd expect the graphics to be cutting edge, not several years out of date.

Darkmoon

Not when we're discussing Duke Nukem, man. We're lucky it even has graphics at this point.

Kenji

I vote the game's name be changed to "Duke Nukem Forever In Production." >.>

Sid

"Stay tuned"? Not even a "Soon"?
Jesus... and where's the link...? Ah yes. The Duke Nukem Forever List - shows what happened since the game was first announced. Just take a look.

Also, the old (2001) trailer looks like much more fun than the new one. (Only found it since it's also linked on the list page above...)
:boogie

Ryudo Lee

I'm one who will remain fairly optimistic about DNF, simply for the fact that 3D Realms has been showing signs of life over the past few years.  For me, hope was re-established when Prey came out, which 3D Realms had a hand in.  I want to believe that lessons learned in Prey's development will be utilized, and improved upon, in DNF.  

Let's face it, Prey had some serious potential and certainly lived up to it's hype... at least the first time through.  Prey's major problem was that you couldn't mod it (or if you could, I never saw any user-generated goodies) and thus really didn't have any replay value after playing through on the unlocked super hard mode.  Even DN3D gave you the map editor on the CD.  Prey's engine had potential, what with all the dynamic gravity physics and the entire ethereal system.  I enjoyed Prey, but what it also showed me is that 3D Realms is still capable of putting out a quality product.  Granted, they like to take their sweet time, but I digress.

I read an article on Wired about the DNF trailer, and they posted various quotes from their editors about DNF.  Aside from the ones who were just shouting 'vaporware! vaporware!', one of them said that it's going to end up being a game that will be good if they don't screw up the control scheme and gameplay.  And I agree with that sentiment.  I am probably among a select few who's actually looking forward to DNF, and have been since 1997.  Patience is a virtue... and there are other games to play while we wait for DNF.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

DarkAudit

We've come to the point where kids are graduating high school that weren't born when DNF was announced.

The powers that be at 3D Realms are either incompetent, frauds, or both.

Either come out with an ACTUAL PRODUCT NOW, or admit that you've been wasting everyone's time.

In either case, fuck off. No one's interested anymore, except as a bad joke.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

superluser

Quote from: DarkAudit on December 20, 2007, 01:06:14 PMWe've come to the point where kids are graduating high school that weren't born when DNF was announced.

Wow.

I didn't know that ten year olds were graduating high school.

Or did you mean that they announced DNF in 1989?

In any case, you're right.  3Drealms should just FOAD.

DarkAudit

Quote from: superluser on December 20, 2007, 01:41:32 PM
Quote from: DarkAudit on December 20, 2007, 01:06:14 PMWe've come to the point where kids are graduating high school that weren't born when DNF was announced.

Wow.

I didn't know that ten year olds were graduating high school.

Or did you mean that they announced DNF in 1989?

In any case, you're right.  3Drealms should just FOAD.

It's only been 10 years? I was sure it was closer to 14 or 15.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Sid

Quote from: DarkAudit on December 20, 2007, 05:15:41 PM
It's only been 10 years? I was sure it was closer to 14 or 15.

Your prediction might still come true - there's been a trailer years ago, and there was never a game to follow it. So who says that this trailer will actually be any sort of indicator for a release? ;)
:boogie

Darkmoon

Oh, I'm sure it won't be any indication of release. I'm sure someone will clue them in to whatever limitations of the engine their using. They'll scrap it. Then we'll wait four more years for another trailer that goes no where.