2007-07-02 DMFA Vacation

Started by Meech, July 01, 2007, 10:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

Turnsky

i reckon a party is in order.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Turnsky on July 21, 2007, 05:16:28 AM
you know, all things considered, it's pretty damn quiet 'round here... it's freaking me out!
Honestly, Yea. Its quiet... a bit too quiet.....  :mwaha

We need more stuff to talk about...

How about.... My low-quality DMFA comic-book! (insert perhaps-faked-perhaps-not pictures here)

Ok... Now I think I shall disappear before I get banned  :<

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on July 21, 2007, 08:16:59 AM
you know, all things considered, it's pretty damn quiet 'round here... it's freaking me out!
How about.... My low-quality DMFA comic-book! (insert perhaps-faked-perhaps-not pictures here)

Look just below the spider:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/con/ac07/s7300029.jpg

It appears to have been made from the JPEG versions.  Curiously the print process seems to have rendered most of them less visible (but not invisible).
I didn't quite pluck up courage to ask where it was made, though.  Nonetheless, it came out at a more-than reasonable quality.  AFAIK this is a one-off, though  :(

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 21, 2007, 08:41:09 AM

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/ac07/s7300029.jpg

It appears to have been made from the JPEG versions.  Curiously the print process seems to have rendered most of them less visible (but not invisible).
I didn't quite pluck up courage to ask where it was made, though.  Nonetheless, it came out at a more-than reasonable quality.  AFAIK this is a one-off, though  :(

well, it might do well for a Free comic book day one-off.

also, does the spider recite shakespere?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on July 21, 2007, 08:57:26 AM

If I'd had the presence of mind to realise that the camera could record video and audio, I would have had proof :(

She did mention that the Arachspearians are liable to get their own page in the Demology next time it updates, though.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 21, 2007, 09:07:37 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on July 21, 2007, 08:57:26 AM

If I'd had the presence of mind to realise that the camera could record video and audio, I would have had proof :(

She did mention that the Arachspearians are liable to get their own page in the Demology next time it updates, though.

groovy.

I don't know ... I still somehow find it weird to see evidence of the webcomics outside of "The Internet". I know this is nonsense. I know wecomics - and DMFA specifically - are the result of hard work from dedicated and very real people. But still... something in the transition from the web to "The real world" feels strange... Kind of like if you saw the main character of a novel running around in broad daylight...

Turnsky

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on July 21, 2007, 11:07:08 AM

I don't know ... I still somehow find it weird to see evidence of the webcomics outside of "The Internet". I know it's nonsense - I know of how many hard-owrking, dedicated and very real people they are the result of. But still... something in the transition from the web to "The real world" feels strange... Kind of like if you saw the main character of a novel running around in broad daylight...

there is the free comic book day, a lotta webcomics put something like that out each year, Comicgen put a nice one out this year, too.

Quote from: Turnsky on July 21, 2007, 11:11:25 AM

I don't know ... I still somehow find it weird to see evidence of the webcomics outside of "The Internet". I know it's nonsense - I know of how many hard-owrking, dedicated and very real people they are the result of. But still... something in the transition from the web to "The real world" feels strange... Kind of like if you saw the main character of a novel running around in broad daylight...

there is the free comic book day, a lotta webcomics put something like that out each year, Comicgen put a nice one out this year, too.

Sounds cool. Unfortunately, wrong continent :/

Turnsky

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on July 21, 2007, 11:12:43 AM

same, i had somebody send me a copy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on July 21, 2007, 11:16:02 AM

'Free Comic Book Day' is still a swearword for me  :mowignore

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 21, 2007, 11:20:19 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on July 21, 2007, 11:16:02 AM

'Free Comic Book Day' is still a swearword for me  :mowignore

for me also, even if i was in comicgen's lineup this year, i still hadta ask a friend to pick me up a copy, since the guy who was printing them out failed to send a copy, even though i PM'd him my address, i didn't find out until ages later that we had to email it to 'im..

Tapewolf

Zedd

Turnsky

i still think a party is in order  :boogie

Naldru

Does that mean that the woman in the TMNT  shirt with the convention badge reading "Miss Mab" is Amber.  I assume that this is an Anthrocon badge, but there isn't enough resolution to read those details.

Who is the fellow with the wiku worm on his t-shirt?
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Chaos

Spider: All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on July 21, 2007, 04:09:26 PM
Does that mean that the woman in the TMNT  shirt with the convention badge reading "Miss Mab" is Amber.  I assume that this is an Anthrocon badge, but there isn't enough resolution to read those details.
This is about half-res owing to photobucket's 1MB limit, but yes, that's Amber, and yes it's from AC'07.

QuoteWho is the fellow with the wiku worm on his t-shirt?
Ben, aka TikiMan.  Amber was helping him out this year rather than having her own table.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 21, 2007, 04:27:00 PM
Quote from: Naldru on July 21, 2007, 04:09:26 PM
This is about half-res owing to photobucket's 1MB limit, but yes, that's Amber, and yes it's from AC'07.

QuoteWho is the fellow with the wiku worm on his t-shirt?
Ben, aka TikiMan.  Amber was helping him out this year rather than having her own table.

hmm... pic and name tag look just fine to me. Firefox's zoom is soo much nicer than IE's.  :mowhappy

I still think Tiki was channeling Scott Kurtz (PvP) on Friday.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Faerie Alex

Agreed. But if I remember correctly, IE7 stole uses the same type of zoom as Firefox.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Zorro

Wonder if something happened at the border.  No posts from Amber for a long time.

Naldru

I would imagine that we would have heard if anything had happened to Amber.  I imagine that she's just resting, and we should encourage her to rest and regain sanity.  It may just take a while for her to build up enough courage to face the weirdoes on this forum.  (I include myself.)

When I want to examine an image on a web site, I don't use the zoom in the browser.  I move it to a graphics program and then I really zoom in.  I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the browser, just that I have difficulty reading the smallest text on the badge.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

RobbieThe1st

Well, for my book, what I did is:
1. stuck subtitle-text onto all the comics via a script
2. cleaned the whitespace off all sides of each comic via a script
3. resized each comic to a max of 817X400, 600 or 800 depending on the shape
4. stuck the lists of comics into my own template, and printed the entire thing at 200dpi

This yields comics approx.  4 3/16" X 2

Here are a couple pictures.
1. An early page under unshielded 4-watt incandescent light(i.e. night-light) Full quality(1.40 megs) | Low quality(120k)
2. Warrior for hire page, under automatic camera flash
Full quality(1.51 megs) | Low quality(232k)
3. A later page, under automatic flash
Full quality(1.67 megs) | Low quality(263k)

Now, most of you will want to do things larger if you print your own copy, but for me, I have good eyes, and well, printing a book takes quite a bit of ink!

If anyone needs, I can upload the pages required to make your own... or you can grab the scripts to do so from my topic in the art forum. :P

Unfortunately, my file-uploader doesn't like the 1.7-3.0 meg page-sides I tried to upload, so if I do upload the files it will be through a new and interesting method, forcing me to learn something new!

-RobbieThe2nd

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Chaos

Quote from: Zorro on July 21, 2007, 10:27:29 PM
Wonder if something happened at the border.  No posts from Amber for a long time.

Tailsteak has heard from her recently. As far as I know, she is waiting to attempt the border. If her origanal plan is holding, I think she is waiting for paperwork before attempting it.

Tailsteak says that they are planning this one a little more, so there most likely won't be as much or, or as dramatic a problem if one occurs.

Alondro

Sheesh, people give the US all sorts of grief for not allowing illegal immigrants free access to our country, yet Canada is even anal about letting its own citizens back in.

Typical liberal hypocrisy!

Liberals always telling us to walk to work and stop leaving lights on when they have monsterous gas-guzzling SUV limos and private jets that release more CO2 in one trip than the average family car does in a year and mansions that use more electricity than some small third-world countries!  Liberals who preach for wind farms and then complain vehemently that they can't build them in Massachusetts because it'll spoil their mountain view!

And even worse, now we can't sell home-baked pies in NJ because they're arbitrarily decided that it's a health risk!  Without any data at all on the incidence of food poisoning compared to what you usually find at a typical fast food restaurant (in various such establisments I've had food poisoning over a dozen times, but never from anything I myself made.)

Yes, what Mab must endure is just another part of the liberal plan to micromanage our lives until we're too weak and depressed to put up a fight when their Scientologist masters enact their plans for world domination.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!   >:O

*this message funded in part by the Young Oppressed Underappreciated Republicans for American Supremacy Society (YOURASS)* 

>:3 >:3 >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Fuyudenki

I'm more upset about the thought policing and telling me that I'm performing hate crimes towards the hispanic, black, homosexual women by offering to hold the door open for them.

Or by saying "hispanic, black, homosexual woman."

That, and they want my money.  Could the government get out of my back pocket for one second!?  When a person on the street does it, it's called "stealing."  When the government does it, it's called "taxes."

Or "supporting your country."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Raist on July 23, 2007, 11:03:17 AM
I'm more upset about the thought policing and telling me that I'm performing hate crimes towards the [snip] women by offering to hold the door open for them.

Just corrected your post, there... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Quote from: Raist on July 23, 2007, 11:03:17 AM
Or by saying "hispanic, black, homosexual woman."
Bannable offense imo

Aurawyn

Quote from: Chaos on July 22, 2007, 05:52:27 PM
Tailsteak says that they are planning this one a little more, so there most likely won't be as much or, or as dramatic a problem if one occurs.

What happened the last time she tried to cross the Border? For those of us not in the know... :)