2007-05-30 [790] Nutmeg enjoys speaking in the third person

Started by superluser, May 30, 2007, 12:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damaris

Just a friendly reminder, with all the newbies.

I seem to remember Amber saying at some point that if you all try to scientifically explain the DMFA-verse and apply real life physics, she would get very angry.  Possibly do something mean, such as let Darkmoon update for a few weeks.

Please, think of the other fans.  No one wants that.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Netrogo

Darkmoon.... few weeks.... update? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH *runs and hides*
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Naldru

For the various alternatives for 9 zeroes, 12 zeroes, 15 zeroes, etc., ask the experts at the Oxford English Dictionary

Quote from: Naldru on May 31, 2007, 04:13:26 PM
See http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/billion?view=uk

This article mentions milliard as ten to the ninth power, billiard as ten to the fifteenth power, trilliard as ten to the twenty first power, etc.  However, it also says this didn't catch on.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Damaris

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Netrogo

bill

Naldru

A telemarketer  called with a survey while I was working on the post.  I guess I was trying too much multitasking.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Rafe on May 31, 2007, 06:06:25 PM
Quote from: Aleolus on May 31, 2007, 04:44:08 PM
Wow, I wonder where Mab's pulling all these weapons from.  After all, that is not the same spear she stabbed Nutmeg with last time we saw one poking through her chest....

Allow me to introduce you to a concept first developed in the 1940's by Robert Clampett and Tex Avery to explain the sudden appearance of weapons in the animation of that time.  Whenever a character like Bugs Bunny or Screwy Squirrel needed a weapon,  they could just reach behind themselves and one would appear from "hammerspace". 

It is worth noting that hammerspace and hammertime are not related.  Hammertime appeared sometime in the 1980's and involves dancing and parachute pants.

Okay Amber seem to grant any Female character's this "Hammerspace", Mainly Alexsi, also Wildy with her axes and now Mab with her pikes and things.  But Kria seems not to know of this "hammerspace", or she overloaded it to have so many weapons sticking out during her lunch with her daughter.  

Does Dan know of this "hammerspace"?

PBH

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on May 31, 2007, 09:41:46 PMThis article mentions milliard as ten to the ninth power, billiard as ten to the fifteenth power, trilliard as ten to the twenty first power, etc.  However, it also says this didn't catch on.

I always thought that it would be cool to use -ard as a suffix for multidimensional units.  So, for example, there are a million square meters in a square kilometer, but there would be a thousand square meters in a square killiard meter.

But more on-topic:

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on May 31, 2007, 10:04:24 PMDoes Dan know of this "hammerspace"?

Dan has been attacked by things from hammerspace, but we don't know if he knows of its existence, yet.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Damaris

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 31, 2007, 09:48:38 PM
See what happens when you don't preview?

Hey, my post was correct for forty-three seconds.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Naldru on May 31, 2007, 05:18:17 PM
About the same time, the people of Georgia in the USA forgive General Tecumsah Sherman for his march during the civil war from Atlanta to the sea.

I actually knew a Georgian who said that since Sherman brought an end to the war, she didn't really care that her hometown of Atlanta was one of the cities that he ended up demolishing.

kaskar

:rolleyes    The uses of 'grey' holes in real space        :rolleyes     This can be a 'grey' area in logic and physics. with many parts of physics, this cannot be really defined. As things lost in black holes, ladies handbags, and what you term 'hammerspace', objects. These objects can even be reclaimed by us mere mortals, with a bit of 'luck' . ( ever  ) 'found' a 'lost' dohicky that you put in a 'safe' place ? This is a demonstration of a grey hole ...

:rolleyes                  Gratitious Magical Energy Theory       ( Who really cares anyway ? )           :rolleyes      Magic could be considered the art of mental matter and time control ...   If the rate of decay of a small piece of matter can make quite a puff of energy. If the energy of the rate of decay ( which the magic would hasten ), was harnessed, Plus the energy given from the discharge of a proton and electron to form a neutron, was hastened AND controlled properly, only a minute amount of matter would be needed.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  :mowhappy However, I don't really care much on how the world is supposed to work in it's theory, just as long as the power, heating, and other things work. Otherwise, does it really matter what happens ?

:mowmeep  Or in many eye's, I don't mind. and it don't matter ....  :mowmeep

8) Just Hanging Around ...

Naldru

As I understand it, Sherman's actions were actually in accordance with the rules of war at that time and the current time.  It amounted to establishing a ** cordon sanitaire ** in response to attacks on his supply lines and troops.  In other words, if you were being attacked by the enemy, you had the right to clear everything along your path of travel far enough to stop your troops from being ambushed.    In addition, his actions in Atlanta did have a military purpose in disrupting lines of communications in the South.  (There was a joke that whether you were going to heaven or hell, you had to change planes in Atlanta.  In those days, the only difference in the concept was that you changed trains in Atlanta.)  However, even if there are individuals that understand the necessities of war, his actions are unlikely to gain general acceptance in the state of Georgia.

Years after the war, Sherman made a speech that has often been misquoted as ** War is Hell **.  What he actually said was that people in the beginning of a conflict tend to believe that war will be quick and that there will be glory for the participants.  He went on to say that the reality of war is that it will be hell, it will never be anything but hell, and there is no way to change the situation.  Sometimes, I feel that politicians of all nations should be forced to memorize Sherman's words.

Valynth

Take it from me, and I live in the south, I approve of what Sherman did, 'cause frankly the south deserved to lose based on the fact that they supported slavery.

Also, the reason Georgians would hold a grudge is that they believe that Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground and he did not.  He only burned about 30% of the town, a majority of which was either going to be used by the confederate army or was caused by the chaos resulting from the rapid destruction of the munitions.  Only a minority of the damage to Atlanta was caused by troops assualting civilian structures, and lets face it, Sherman can't controll his boys all the time.  Hell, the Confederacy would have done a lot worse to union towns if they could have marched through the north like Sherman marched through the south.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: kaskar on May 31, 2007, 11:51:03 PM
   :rolleyes                  Gratitious Magical Energy Theory       ( Who really cares anyway ? )           :rolleyes      Magic could be considered the art of mental matter and time control ...   If the rate of decay of a small piece of matter can make quite a puff of energy. If the energy of the rate of decay ( which the magic would hasten ), was harnessed, Plus the energy given from the discharge of a proton and electron to form a neutron, was hastened AND controlled properly, only a minute amount of matter would be needed.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  :mowhappy However, I don't really care much on how the world is supposed to work in it's theory, just as long as the power, heating, and other things work. Otherwise, does it really matter what happens ?

:mowmeep  Or in many eye's, I don't mind. and it don't matter ....   :mowmeep
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 31, 2007, 02:43:34 PM
...My point is, I personnaly really don't think that E=MC2 has any relevance whatsoever in regards to magic.
Ultimately, it does not matter how YOU define magic, but how the SETTING that the magic is in defines it that really matters.
Quote from: Damaris on May 31, 2007, 08:42:47 PM

I seem to remember Amber saying at some point that if you all try to scientifically explain the DMFA-verse and apply real life physics, she would get very angry.  Possibly do something mean, such as let Darkmoon update for a few weeks.

What Damaris said.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I do. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

terrycloth

Quote from: Valynth on June 01, 2007, 12:33:38 AM
Hell, the Confederacy would have done a lot worse to union towns if they could have marched through the north like Sherman marched through the south.

They *did* do about the same thing to Ohio as Sherman did to Georgia, when they marched through it. Just, Ohio wasn't important enough for anyone to care except for people writing 'Ohio history' textbooks.

Caswin

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 30, 2007, 10:31:02 AM
Also there is one thing you may want to think about.  Mab is someone who does not have much in the way of possessions.  Give her a glen (home), Pip and friends, and she's as happy as can be.
Well, she does like 80s merchandise.  The idea of procuring She-Ra dolls had her almost ecstatic.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Aleolus

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on May 31, 2007, 10:04:24 PM
Quote from: Rafe on May 31, 2007, 06:06:25 PM
Quote from: Aleolus on May 31, 2007, 04:44:08 PM
Wow, I wonder where Mab's pulling all these weapons from.  After all, that is not the same spear she stabbed Nutmeg with last time we saw one poking through her chest....

Allow me to introduce you to a concept first developed in the 1940's by Robert Clampett and Tex Avery to explain the sudden appearance of weapons in the animation of that time.  Whenever a character like Bugs Bunny or Screwy Squirrel needed a weapon,  they could just reach behind themselves and one would appear from "hammerspace". 

It is worth noting that hammerspace and hammertime are not related.  Hammertime appeared sometime in the 1980's and involves dancing and parachute pants.

Okay Amber seem to grant any Female character's this "Hammerspace", Mainly Alexsi, also Wildy with her axes and now Mab with her pikes and things.  But Kria seems not to know of this "hammerspace", or she overloaded it to have so many weapons sticking out during her lunch with her daughter. 

Does Dan know of this "hammerspace"?

PBH
Probably not.  If you notice in today's anime, especially comedic anime, that form of extra-dimentional space is only accessible by females.  Most of the time it's only there when some guy is making inappropriate advances towards her, or makes a vulgar comment about her, though.

Brunhidden

the soulstealer women seem to use 'hammerspace' as a way to eat their own body weight without exploding pants.

exploding pants- fun, dangerous, and embarrasing

QuoteShow me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Netrogo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 01, 2007, 04:51:18 AM

I do. :-]

That's because you want to see us all suffer :cry

SkipSanders

Bah!   Hammerspace is a very specific thing, not a general supply zone.   It's just what its name says, the place where females 'draw' a hammer from in order to pound a 'deserving' male for sexist comments or behavior.   Said hammer may be a wooden mallet, or a sledgehammer, or any variant.  As long, as course, as it's funny.

Production of 'general goods' must be via 'bag of holding' equivilents, whether material or spatial pockets, or via magical production.  I'd expect that general magical practice would be to transform basic matter at hand into whatever form is needed.   This would agree with Abel's claim that magicing up items with simple construction is easier than making something complex.

Now, another variant would be the common 'furry' variant, the Toyspace that vixens can pull any sort of <bleep>, <bleep>, or even <bleep> from when 'need arises'.

Aridas

Yeah. Seriously. I wish people would quit mentioning hammerspace around DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Netrogo on June 02, 2007, 11:40:47 AM

You say that like it's not common knowledge already. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

Goatmon

Quote from: Naldru on May 31, 2007, 11:11:25 AM
Regarding the quote "I'm not greedy.  How about a million dolllars.", I may have it.

Was it Dr. Evil in Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery when he was discussing how high to set his blackmail demand.  The other people in the room then explained that, due to inflation, a million dollars didn't go very far.  They then decided to change million to billion.

However, I don't know if it was an American billion (9 zeroes) or a European billion (12 zeroes)

Nope!

Aleolus

On a semi-related note, are any of you familiar with El Goonish Shive?  The girls in that comic make frequent use of hammerspace.  Some of the guys get the ability to go into it from time to time as well, thanks to a transformation gun that one of the characters has.

Netrogo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 02, 2007, 07:33:24 PM
Quote from: Netrogo on June 02, 2007, 11:40:47 AM

You say that like it's not common knowledge already. ;-]

Considering my short time here and I know it. I'd say it's pretty common :giggle

LionHeart

Quote from: Aleolus on June 04, 2007, 06:00:00 PM
On a semi-related note, are any of you familiar with El Goonish Shive?  The girls in that comic make frequent use of hammerspace.  Some of the guys get the ability to go into it from time to time as well, thanks to a transformation gun that one of the characters has.

I am - you should see some of the stuff that takes place on the EGS forum(s).

Although Dan Shive has stated that he has been phasing out the hammers in the comic.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Aleolus