2007-05-30 [790] Nutmeg enjoys speaking in the third person

Started by superluser, May 30, 2007, 12:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

Quote from: Netami on May 30, 2007, 03:17:24 AM
Yeah well I am level 10 and I say it's 10d6, so 10D6 LIGHTNING BOLT DAMAGE!!!! No save. Spell resistance is nullified. Energy immunity and resistance is nullified.

okay, your nerd level is at an 11. We really need you at about a 1 please.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on May 30, 2007, 01:57:47 PM
this makes me wonder if mabb has a reason to use a harpoon on nutmeg.... it would be kinda cool to tie it off to a boat and have nutmeg drag you around the lake or something.

Bwahahahahahaha!

You win the Internet, today, Brun. Scuse me whilst I go lie down, my sides hurt...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: je.saist on May 30, 2007, 02:08:31 PM
Yeah well I am level 10 and I say it's 10d6, so 10D6 LIGHTNING BOLT DAMAGE!!!! No save. Spell resistance is nullified. Energy immunity and resistance is nullified.

Heyheyhey, don't you be talking down to us nerds! We have Intelligance Scores of 20! What's yours? *Unforgotten Realms quote lol*

Angel

...Is that the +2 voulge? Nah. Too short.

Awesome comic.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Manawolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 30, 2007, 02:43:49 PM
Quote from: je.saist on May 30, 2007, 02:08:31 PM

Heyheyhey, don't you be talking down to us nerds! We have Intelligance Scores of 20! What's yours? *Unforgotten Realms quote lol*

INT 16, CHA 8, that's the average for most nerds.

llearch n'n'daCorna

charisma that high?

Man. I thought charisma was the dump stat... ;-]

Naldru

Actually, it looks like a swiveling head harpoon (as opposed to a voluge).  When the harpoon goes in, the blade swivels back so that it goes in more easily.  Once embedded, the head swings back around to the position shown so that it is harder to pull out.  However, that really doesn't work if you keep putting the blade completely through the body.  Her previous attack was with a more conventional spear-head.  If she's recapitulating the history of harpoons, I would expect the next one to be an explosive spear-head.

I believe that it is safe to say that Mab is angry.  I can understand Albanion not wanting to talk to her.

(Further note based on looking back over the comments.)

I believe that this type of harpoon was often fired from a gun and attached to a set of floats with a rope.  I took a further look at the internet and believe that this type of swiveling head was known as a toggle iron.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

SpottedKitty

QuoteFrom hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale.
I know Bill Shatner was a bit too podgy at the time for those snug Starfleet uniforms (although it could have been worse, it could have been the pajamas...). That last line, though — obviously cut from the final take — is still a terrible thing to say about a starship captain. Unless he's just blown up your own ship. Oh, wait...   

(Sorry, I saw a straight line. Had to be done.)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Rafe

Oh come on, the reason Nutmeg speaks in the third person is obvious -

it's because, apparently much of the time, SHE IS A THIRD PERSON.
Rafe

Netrogo

I dunno why but the whole 'you always stab Nutmeg multiple times when we talk' line keeps making me picture Nutmeg in that scene from Hellsing when the regenerator guy from the church shows up and sticks Alucard with a dozen or so of those knife things at once.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

nikename2

Well lets look at it. Nutmeg is a fae, and a queen, which correct me if I'm wrong entitles that she is extremely well off, and she hails from the fae kingdom/dimension which is probably similiar to Mab's pocket dimension except multiplied to a hundred thousand or so. How could she not be eccentric coming from a background like that?  :P

It's a good thing Mab's being thorough.  ;)

Angel

Quote from: Netrogo on May 30, 2007, 05:09:31 PM
I dunno why but the whole 'you always stab Nutmeg multiple times when we talk' line keeps making me picture Nutmeg in that scene from Hellsing when the regenerator guy from the church shows up and sticks Alucard with a dozen or so of those knife things at once.

Hee hee... in Anime Insider, they showed that picture with the caption "Knife salesman's demonstration goes horribly awry." It made me giggle for several hours, much like the fight did in the first place.  >:3
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

terrycloth

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 30, 2007, 05:12:03 AM
Unfortunately, most universes put creation of matter at the difficult end of the spectrum.  D&D (and RPGs in general) is the exception in that magic and abilities are ranked in diffuculty based on how useful thier effects are in a 'balanced' game setting.  The creation of matter, using matter in our own world as an example, would take billions of joules of energy (e=mc^2, to trot out a familiar formula), and the creation of a few grams of matter would require the energy to power a couple large cities for a while.  That puts the creation of matter at the high end of the magic skill spectrum.

Magic doesn't obey the laws of physics. If it did, it would be physics. Most RPGs make creation of matter utterly trivial, limiting it based on weight, permanence, or (in GURPS) dollar value for balance, yes. But even normal fantasy universes usually have things appearing out of nowhere all over the place -- horns of plenty spewing out food, magic hedges growing suddenly to engulf a castle, genies waving their hands to make whole castles appear to grant a wish, it goes on and on.

In Amber (which was a series of books before it was an RPG) 'created' matter was really summoned from one of an infinite number of alternate universes, but still, waving your hand to make something appear was not hard.

And in DMFA, creating matter is easy... but creating *intricate* matter, like woven cloth, is hard. Abel gave a little speech about it.

Gildedtongue

Obviously the reason for Mab's and Nutmeg's falling out is that when they were both only 600 years old, Mab and Nutmeg started to bake cupcakes.  Nutmeg wanted chocolate sprinkles, Mab wanted rainbow sprinkles.

Things... escalated... from there.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: terrycloth on May 30, 2007, 08:04:55 PM
Unfortunately, most universes put creation of matter at the difficult end of the spectrum.  D&D (and RPGs in general) is the exception in that magic and abilities are ranked in diffuculty based on how useful thier effects are in a 'balanced' game setting.  The creation of matter, using matter in our own world as an example, would take billions of joules of energy (e=mc^2, to trot out a familiar formula), and the creation of a few grams of matter would require the energy to power a couple large cities for a while.  That puts the creation of matter at the high end of the magic skill spectrum.

Magic doesn't obey the laws of physics. If it did, it would be physics. Most RPGs make creation of matter utterly trivial, limiting it based on weight, permanence, or (in GURPS) dollar value for balance, yes. But even normal fantasy universes usually have things appearing out of nowhere all over the place -- horns of plenty spewing out food, magic hedges growing suddenly to engulf a castle, genies waving their hands to make whole castles appear to grant a wish, it goes on and on.

In Amber (which was a series of books before it was an RPG) 'created' matter was really summoned from one of an infinite number of alternate universes, but still, waving your hand to make something appear was not hard.

And in DMFA, creating matter is easy... but creating *intricate* matter, like woven cloth, is hard. Abel gave a little speech about it.

Precicely. If magic could be completely explained, then it wouldn't be magic any more.

Quote from: Gildedtongue on May 30, 2007, 08:39:16 PM
Obviously the reason for Mab's and Nutmeg's falling out is that when they were both only 600 years old, Mab and Nutmeg started to bake cupcakes.  Nutmeg wanted chocolate sprinkles, Mab wanted rainbow sprinkles.

Things... escalated... from there.

Heheh, interesting theory. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, either... :)

Goatmon

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 30, 2007, 01:14:53 AM
I wonder what being the queen means where being a customer in the soul department stands... Other than the obvious, what could possibly be "offered" to get your hands on someone's soul?

Oh, well, I'm not a greedy man; how about a million dollars? 

(Hug goes to the first person to get the reference.)

Naldru

http://www.blackfootferret.name/MasterLinkFiles/MLNewgrounds/MasterLinkNewgrounds1.html

had the following joke.  I don't know if this is the one that you are thinking of.

GOD'S MESSAGE - You think it's going to be something profound.. then
turns out to be a sketch comedy. Guy in a park talks to God "So to you,
a millions years, is like an hour?" "It is as a second, my Son." "And to
you, a million dollars, would be, what, a grand?" "It is as a cent my
Son." "So God.. how about a million dollars, eh? :)" "Certainly my
Son... just a second." Guy blinks, then gets it "Eh..he.." and dohs.
Good luck waiting a million years.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/225635
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on May 30, 2007, 11:29:16 PMhad the following joke.  I don't know if this is the one that you are thinking of.

No, it was virtually a verbatim quote.  I don't remember from where, though.  Might have been the Far Side.  Calvin once wishes for a ``cool million,'' but that's definitely not it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Netrogo

Brunhidden

Quote from: Netrogo on May 31, 2007, 12:02:08 AM
Who DOESN'T wish for a million dollars?

people who understand that if you are going to wish for one million dollars you may as well wish for ten million, complete with your own private island to house a scrooge macduck style vault to hold it in.

Quote from: SpottedKitty on May 30, 2007, 04:55:52 PM
QuoteFrom hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale.
I know Bill Shatner was a bit too podgy at the time for those snug Starfleet uniforms (although it could have been worse, it could have been the pajamas...). That last line, though — obviously cut from the final take — is still a terrible thing to say about a starship captain. Unless he's just blown up your own ship. Oh, wait...   

(Sorry, I saw a straight line. Had to be done.)

apperantly you forgo the classics, i have yet to read any science fiction book that begins with "call me Ishmael". kudos on confusing me with space pajamas though, thats a new one on me.

QuoteBlacksmith, I set ye a task. Take these harpoons and lances. Melt them down. Forge me new weapons that will strike deep and hold fast. But do not douse them in water; they must have a proper baptism. What say ye, all ye men? Will you give as much blood as shall be needed to temper the steel?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Netrogo

I'll agree with that, namely cuz I've always wanted my own Scrooge style vault. Found one on SL a couple weeks back though :mowhappy

Axis

kaskar

:mowmeep  Is this where you get 'soul' food ? :mowmeep
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Manawolf

::Whaps Kaskar for horrible joke::

Don't make me get the spear.  It's the long one too.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Manawolf on May 31, 2007, 04:54:29 AM
::Whaps Kaskar for horrible joke::

Don't make me get the spear.  It's the long one too.

:giggle
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Zina

Manawolf

Well at least someone got that joke.  I'm affluent in puns, I make them up without even realizing it till I've posted, though it happens more often over IM.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Manawolf on May 31, 2007, 05:13:13 AM
Well at least someone got that joke.  I'm affluent in puns, I make them up without even realizing it till I've posted, though it happens more often over IM.

I'm sure we could sell tickets to your 'spearing' of Kaskar. It would be entertaining for many.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Reese Tora

Quote from: terrycloth on May 30, 2007, 08:04:55 PM

I didn't mean the E=MC^2 it as the exact rule, but as a parallel idea that I'd recalled being mentioned somewhere in DMFA.  In any case, I believe that Abel's speech was concerning the ability of 'cubi to shapeshift clothing and such onto themselves rather than create matter from nothing. 

Unlike a lot of fantasy universes, DMFA's setting appears to have a strong science presence that is capable of integrating with magic(Jy's patches), so It could be assumed that there are enough strong parallels to make certain areas of science equivalent to magic, though invoked via a different process.

Quote from: Arthur C ClarkeAny sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Quote from: Larry NivenAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on May 31, 2007, 12:23:26 AM
apperantly you forgo the classics, i have yet to read any science fiction book that begins with "call me Ishmael". kudos on confusing me with space pajamas though, thats a new one on me.

"The Weapon Shops of Isher" ?