[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: CoyoteCaliente on October 18, 2010, 02:43:39 PM
Well. Still leaves all the bit roles and single appearing characters. Males anyhow. Is there a general list for these unfilled roles or should I just send in a few random strips and roles? (Like 858. Single appearing roles like that.)

Well, if it helps, currently finished story arcs are:

Warrior for Hire (116-165)
Recipe for Disasters (274-320)
Return of Dark Pegasus Pt.1 (858-907)

...those are on tape and mixed.  Others, like the SAIA arc are on the computer in demo form but will probably have to have a lot of the voices rerecorded because we could do so much better.

Ideally I'd like to get Dark Pegasus finished before moving on to another arc, but if there is one which doesn't have Dan in it (Queen Mab?), I might consider that in the interim as it's taken a lot longer to get he Dan voices than I'd hoped.
Occasionally I'll do demos of something for fun, e.g. Dan vs Regina.

Realistically?  Just pick any old character, find a line you like and try it out.  That at least would help give some idea of who it might fit...

If possible, upload it to a web page and post a link here.  Otherwise it might have to be email.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

I'm sorry I've been busy, but I can guarantee (if I not there shall by fury to pay upon myself! >:3) I will send the redone samples of Fa'Lina before the end of the month; school started up for me so it's been hectic. With it I will include, several samples of more of the lines. :3

And I wish James the best of luck! :hug

And as far as, a most recent voice cast list......if perhaps it will help out, if anyone/everyone who knows what part they are in the radio cast would send me a message and that's possibly including any/all open roles. I'd be more than happy to complie that together and post it here the "Radio Cast Project", so that way everyone has a better idea what is going on.

That is of course, you think that would help. I know people are busy and that many people want to help with this, but I know not having an updated list is bit of an issue. So I am more than willing to devote time into compiling together an update voice cast list and posting it here. So if that would help at all, let me know. :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on October 18, 2010, 03:11:19 PM
And as far as, a most recent voice cast list......if perhaps it will help out, if anyone/everyone who knows what part they are in the radio cast would send me a message and that's possibly including any/all open roles. I'd be more than happy to complie that together and post it here the "Radio Cast Project", so that way everyone has a better idea what is going on.

Well, the way I usually work is that nothing is 100% fixed until it's on tape.  At that point, the casting is final for that project.  I prefer to have the same cast for the next project, but that isn't always possible, especially given the horribly slow turnaround :<

QuoteThat is of course, you think that would help. I know people are busy and that many people want to help with this, but I know not having an updated list is bit of an issue. So I am more than willing to devote time into compiling together an update voice cast list and posting it here. So if that would help at all, let me know. :)

Well, according to the prompt sheets I have the following cast lists.  If you can think of a suitable way to present it, or heck, if you want to go in and make sure the wiki tallies with it, be my guest.

Warrior for Hire:
"In this unofficial production, the part of Dan was played by James Rolls, Miss Mab by Catherine Willington, Wildy-San by Miaka and Azlan by Chris Johnston.
"Dark Pegasus, the dragon, Merlitz and the Shaman were played by Joseph Morris.
"The part of Aliyka was played by Marin, Pip and Felorin were played by Slipdance.  Kannikah was played by Cheyenne and Pink was played by Mewgal.  Also featuring Poofyspikes as the narrator, Hillary as Queen Hollyann and Sunny Chiba as herself.  Additional voices by Tezkat and Joseph Morris."

Recipe for Disasters:
"In this unofficial production, the part of Dan was played by James Rolls, Miss Mab by Catherine Willington, Merlitz by Joseph Morris and Aaryanna by Qeniheru.
"The part of Wildy-San was played by Miaka, Alexsi by TeeKay Aria and Destania by Hilary.  The part of Fa'Lina was played by Blade, Photophie by Mystiq.  Jyrras Gianna, Edward Ti'Fiona and Photophie's brother were played by Tezkat.
"Also featuring Keaton, Xarilah and Kryptic as the phoenix Oracles, Slipdance and Ryeest (Raist) as Pip and Cid the zombie as himself.  Additional voices by Tezkat and Joseph Morris."

Return of Dark Pegasus (pt1) :
"In this unofficial production, the part of Dan was played by James Rolls.  Abel and Glev were played by Jairus, Alexsi by Mystiqe and Jyrras Gianna by Tezkat.  Wildy was played by Miaka.
"The part of Biggs was played by Fragmaster, Destania by Aisha DeCabre, Fi was played by Mystiqe and Aliyka by Wuffnpuff and Joseph Morris.  Shanna was played by Mewgal, Anna by Mystiqe and Hanna by Lena.
Also featured were Keaton and Kenku as the two mythos, Lambo as Deebs and Kass, and Ba'al Hadad as Graz.  The Blue and Pink phoenixes were played by Gabi Starshine and Keaton Jyraneth.  Additional voices by Joseph Morris and Jairus."

->IIRC there was also an uncredited major cast member who fell off the list somehow, but I've forgotten who it was.  I do remember that I played Alex in the opening scene.

Tezkat

Quote from: Shoryu on October 17, 2010, 01:51:01 PM
:ipod  i just listened to the radio adaptations. it was painfully funny. though i have to admit, a few of the voices made me twitch cause i couldn't see how in the world they were coming from the characters they were for XD  Jyrras didn't sound disturbingly cute at all o.o he sounded like someone mocking a gay mouse. XD no offense =3 it's a wicked project regardless.

Heh. I created the voice for Jyrras several years before he was even out of the closet. At the time, I was going for something young and geeky (going out of his way not to be cute... and sometimes failing >:]), although the character and voice have matured a fair bit since then. Regardless, he remains the most controversial voice on the cast (people either love my take on him or absolutely can't stand it :rolleyes).

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on October 18, 2010, 03:11:19 PM

That is of course, you think that would help. I know people are busy and that many people want to help with this, but I know not having an updated list is bit of an issue. So I am more than willing to devote time into compiling together an update voice cast list and posting it here. So if that would help at all, let me know. :)

Well, if it'll help, here are the people I've played.

Named Characters:

Albanion
Basement Rat #3
Daniel Ti'Fiona (as a baby :3)
Dr. Ink
Edward Ti'Fiona
Jyrras Gianna
Pegasus

Unnamed Characters:

Castle Guards (all of them!)
Demon in Bar
Destania Hunter(s)
Gay Guy in Bar
Human
Priest
Waiter

I think that's all of them...

I've also provided filler voices for a few others, like Biggs and Abel, that were eventually rerecorded by dedicated VAs. I even did Destania at one point. :dface

I might wind up playing Aniz if we ever decide he's supposed to sound like Edward (or failing that, make use of the flamboyantly melodramatic filler I came up with >:]).

EDIT:

Off the top of my head, roles that are still open...

Bernadette hasn't been cast yet, and she seems to be showing up a lot lately.

Devin has returned to the regular cast. Although rabid_fox had a delightfully snarky take on him, I don't know if he's still up for the job. He's not around much anymore, and those arcs were never finalized in the first place. I don't think we ever settled on a Xander, either. Somehow, with rabid_fox playing Devin, the people auditioning for the role had unofficially decided that Xander had to be Scottish. >:]

Mink doesn't have a voice. I suppose the jury's still out on whether a male or female VA would be more appropriate, so the role would be open to anyone who can do a good job.

Male one shot extras occasionally come up, but usually someone like myself, Jairus, or Tapewolf will fill them instead of looking for someone new to voice only a couple of lines.

Female one shot extras pop up all the time and nearly always need someone to fill them.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tezkat on October 19, 2010, 11:47:55 AMHeh. I created the voice for Jyrras several years before he was even out of the closet. At the time, I was going for something young and geeky (going out of his way not to be cute... and sometimes failing >:]), although the character and voice have matured a fair bit since then. Regardless, he remains the most controversial voice on the cast (people either love my take on him or absolutely can't stand it :rolleyes).

For my take, I think I was imagining a similar voice except higher in pitch.  I once saw a stage production of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and the guy playing Linus had a voice similar to what I imagined for Jyrras (even though that voice doesn't suit Linus at all).

Aisha deCabre

Heh, as one of the few female voice actors, I only have three roles still to my knowledge: Destania, Matilda, and Moira--Jy-mom, otherwise.  I can't get my voice to do much in pitch, but lately I've been playing with accents and testing how far my throat can take scratchier tones (like older woman kinda things), so I try to put a small variety in the voices anyway. x3

The logic escapes me too, as to why there are few interested female parties.  :U Voice acting's pretty fun.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

CoyoteCaliente

Ah. Well, Xander and Devin. If those roles have yet to be solidified, then I'm going to try it out.  I'm listening to them right now, to get an idea of the older character versions...

To be honest, I'm not sure how the Scottish accent fits in. In contrast with the other characters, it seems a bit... distracting. But, no matter. I'll try different versions of the characters. I think I'll just voice pages 35-38. Got that nice monologue at the end.

I'll post a link when I can, given that my redux of the characters would be considered (even if they are just tests).

*Edit*

Okay. Is live Devin going to have a significantly different voice from undead Devin? Different personality/different biology might make a difference. Or for the sake of continuity, should they be the same?

*Meh, double edit*

For the sake of not double posting, here's a link to an initial test for Devin Soulstealer. The recent Rumball debacle. In defense of the hopelessly English accent, I'll say that this is only a test. I can always take a different path, if no one thinks it's fitting. I just found that I was able to put more emotion and character into this voice, as I found the Test for live Devin a bit flat.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4658499/

Download is also available here.
I'm just a little bit... Aiene, Geisteskrank, Insano, Elnebajos, Vansinnig, Fou, Atamagaokashii, Gek, Dolzinnig, Hullu, Gila, Meschuge, Nebun, Dement... INSANE.

And do not tell your daddy how to ----.

llearch n'n'daCorna

heh. *makes a note to look at that when he's at home*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

CoyoteCaliente

Another one. Comic 966, where he spends 4 panels insulting Regina.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4662017/

Geh. Now he sounds a bit Scottish. Especially in the "no doubt" bit...

And I found it incredibly difficult to pronounce the word "Every" properly. As in three separate syllables. You know. The proper way.

Down here we pronounce it "Evry". ^^
I'm just a little bit... Aiene, Geisteskrank, Insano, Elnebajos, Vansinnig, Fou, Atamagaokashii, Gek, Dolzinnig, Hullu, Gila, Meschuge, Nebun, Dement... INSANE.

Tezkat

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on October 19, 2010, 02:09:04 PM
Heh, as one of the few female voice actors, I only have three roles still to my knowledge: Destania, Matilda, and Moira--Jy-mom, otherwise.  I can't get my voice to do much in pitch, but lately I've been playing with accents and testing how far my throat can take scratchier tones (like older woman kinda things), so I try to put a small variety in the voices anyway. x3

Range will come with practice, but you actually don't have to fiddle that much with pitch or accents to create unique voices. Ultimately, it's the "acting" in "voice acting" that's more important, and you can eventually use that to distinguish your characters. For instance, listen to Harry Shearer voicing Principal Skinner and Reverend Lovejoy. Aside from one being slightly deeper than the other, it's really the same voice with such radically different delivery that it makes the two characters sound completely different.

QuoteThe logic escapes me too, as to why there are few interested female parties.  :U Voice acting's pretty fun.

Heh. They generally have the opposite problem on anime AVA forums. The girls outnumber the guys by a fair margin. It's just a quirk of the forum population mix here, I think.

Quote from: CoyoteCaliente on October 19, 2010, 04:00:51 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure how the Scottish accent fits in. In contrast with the other characters, it seems a bit... distracting. But, no matter. I'll try different versions of the characters. I think I'll just voice pages 35-38. Got that nice monologue at the end.

Our first Devin, being from Isle of Man, had a rather distinctive accent, and I think people were trying to play off of that. It makes sense that Xander and Devin would have similar accents, seeing has how they grew up together; accents tend to become fixed in childhood based on how your peers speak. You can make an excuse for them not sounding like Abel because he moved to Zinvth at an early age, so he'd settle on talking like the Creatures instead of the common Beings in the community of his birth.

Also, Scottish accents are fun to do. :3

QuoteOkay. Is live Devin going to have a significantly different voice from undead Devin? Different personality/different biology might make a difference. Or for the sake of continuity, should they be the same?

Personally, I think they should sound fairly similar. Even though Devin has no memory of his life, undeath hasn't really changed his basic personality and temperament that much. If Tapewolf wants to add some kind of surreal Creature effects to it, he can do that in post.

QuoteFor the sake of not double posting, here's a link to an initial test for Devin Soulstealer. The recent Rumball debacle. In defense of the hopelessly English accent, I'll say that this is only a test. I can always take a different path, if no one thinks it's fitting. I just found that I was able to put more emotion and character into this voice, as I found the Test for live Devin a bit flat.

As long as you're comfortable with the accent. That's the important thing. You don't want to be losing or changing it in mid performance. Matching it with other characters is a separate issue, and since we haven't cast them yet... :animesweat

Quote from: CoyoteCaliente on October 20, 2010, 10:45:36 AM
Another one. Comic 966, where he spends 4 panels insulting Regina.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4662017/

Geh. Now he sounds a bit Scottish. Especially in the "no doubt" bit...

And I found it incredibly difficult to pronounce the word "Every" properly. As in three separate syllables. You know. The proper way.

Down here we pronounce it "Evry". ^^

Er... most people pronounce it in two syllables--that's pretty standard. One would only draw it out into three to place deliberate emphasis on the word.

Regarding the clips themselves...

The recording quality was decent. Vocals were fairly clear, and the fan noise was low enough to DNR without too much loss of quality. I did hear a few mouth noises though. It would help to hydrate a bit more before recording.

The performance in the first clip seemed a little bit forced. It flowed a lot more naturally in the second, which in my opinion better captured the sort of dry sarcasm we expect from Devin.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on October 20, 2010, 03:48:03 PM
Personally, I think they should sound fairly similar. Even though Devin has no memory of his life, undeath hasn't really changed his basic personality and temperament that much. If Tapewolf wants to add some kind of surreal Creature effects to it, he can do that in post.

Dan didn't realise Hannah was dead at first, so the same should hold for Devin.  I'd go for him sounding the same before and after his death.

QuoteAs long as you're comfortable with the accent. That's the important thing. You don't want to be losing or changing it in mid performance. Matching it with other characters is a separate issue, and since we haven't cast them yet... :animesweat

I would be interested to hear what your [Coyote's] voice sounds like naturally.  A forced European accent isn't a prerequisite for Devin by any means.

Of the two clips, no.1 had the higher recording quality, less background noise and better acoustics.  No.2 had a better performance.  As Tezkat says, there are a few mouth noises which would be nicer if they weren't there, but the rendition itself seems a lot more natural.

CoyoteCaliente

Alrighty. Sounds good to me. All good points. And I'll try to put more emphasis into acting rather than inflection.

I'll do another two recordings, maybe three. The same two bits, but with only my natural voice. And maybe a redux of the original first accent if I'm feeling frisky.

Sound quality of the first.

Acting quality of the second.

Hydrate.

*EDIT*

Devin, no accent, muy bueno quality (I think...it's ok I guess), and ready to be laughed at.  http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4714555/
Also, is there a Regina yet?.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on November 06, 2010, 12:46:17 PM
Bums, I've lost Devin?

I had wondered if we'd lost you, actually.  If so, he would almost certainly have got it.
At the end of the day, this is more like a voice try-out, Devin just happened to be the character he was trying.

As for Coyote's latest demo, which I kept forgetting to listen to at home and couldn't listen to at work, I still haven't listened to it on a proper sound system yet, but from what I can hear it seems to be a fairly solid performance.
Now I guess we just need to find a role for him :P

Gabi

Just posting to let you know that I'm still here. PM me if there's anything I can do. I know I can't get rid of my accent, but neither can anyone else and the radio show has a wide arrange of different accents anyway.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

rabid_fox

I'm harder to get rid of than a thing that's hard to get rid of. Just PM me when you need Devin lines.

Oh dear.

CoyoteCaliente

Ahhhahah. There's the original Devin. Bummer. Alright.

Next I'll try... I dunno. Insect guy and Xander. I'll give them a shot.... Or maybe just Xander. :3

If you all can think of anyone else, feel free to. I've got time.

Tapewolf

Been a while since I did one of these, but I had some sudden inspiration.  This is from pages 1091-1095.

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/abels_nightmare-v1.mp3

Baal Hadad

Inumo

I must admit I don't know much about radio shows, as I was born into the generation after. However, it sounds to me line there aren't enough sound effects or other things like that. You obviously gave it some time in post production, since you added music, but I don't really hear Abel getting startled, or whatever it was that Pip was doing finishing (I don't have the strips in front of me atm). It's more like some awkward pause. Beyond that, the music introing into Abel getting pissed sounds a bit too abrupt. Finally, that pre-echo you gave to Pip in the last bit makes him sound early to some things, and out of place without an acutal echo. Oh! And the point where Abel wakes up seems a little too long; not sure if it's just me.

Hope this helps!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Inumo on February 15, 2011, 12:12:21 PM
You obviously gave it some time in post production, since you added music, but I don't really hear Abel getting startled, or whatever it was that Pip was doing finishing (I don't have the strips in front of me atm). It's more like some awkward pause. Beyond that, the music introing into Abel getting pissed sounds a bit too abrupt. Finally, that pre-echo you gave to Pip in the last bit makes him sound early to some things, and out of place without an acutal echo. Oh! And the point where Abel wakes up seems a little too long; not sure if it's just me.

Thanks, that is helpful.  Bizarrely, the score for page 1095 was done first, and had to be rerecorded later once I knew how long the scene was.  I did not have a score for when Abel first starts to get angry, that was improvised later from the main score and I'm not completely sure it fits.

The pre-echo was actually the backup copy of Pip's lines for that scene before I added the reverse echo for the final part.  I had it enabled by accident at one point and it sounded interesting, whether I should keep it in future demos or leave it out, I'm not sure.

The part where Abel wakes up doesn't really exist as such.  It's basically the raw takes from Jairus, since I don't have the voice for Fi (and have forgotten who did it  :B - time to hit the wiki!) and I basically let it run to the end of the file.

As for the sparse sound effects, I made do with what I had to hand in my existing library.  I might be able to add extra startled sounds for Abel from alternate takes.  He probably should gasp or something when Pip is squished (and a better squishy noise would be very handy if anyone is good at that sort of thing).
I am at a complete loss for the sounds Abel would make when running across the counter, I have never been able to do that.
If anyone has suggestions for other FX points that would be handy too.

(Happy birthday, by the way)

Inumo

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2011, 01:46:47 PM
The part where Abel wakes up doesn't really exist as such.  It's basically the raw takes from Jairus, since I don't have the voice for Fi (and have forgotten who did it  :B - time to hit the wiki!) and I basically let it run to the end of the file.

Uh... isn't there a little gasp from Abel waking up, along with a tiny "meep?"

As for the sparse sound effects, I made do with what I had to hand in my existing library.  I might be able to add extra startled sounds for Abel from alternate takes.  He probably should gasp or something when Pip is squished (and a better squishy noise would be very handy if anyone is good at that sort of thing).
I am at a complete loss for the sounds Abel would make when running across the counter, I have never been able to do that.

I'm afraid I don't have the equipment to properly record some SFX and help, but I might be able to give some suggestions for sources. For example, you might be able to try squishing or juicing a fruit of some sort for some more squelchy noises, and for running across a counter, you might be able to set a plank between two chairs and just record some walking, stomping, jumping, etc across it. Might even want to get a hammer and smack it a few times to get the tentacle impact sound.

If anyone has suggestions for other FX points that would be handy too.

First one I noticed was Abel's "OMGWTF" moment (which, looking back, wasn't actually much of one). Having reread the strips involved in this clip, you might just want to cut out some of that silence, since it seems like he's in that "too tired to be surprised" state. In fact, it seems like you might want to just re-evaluate your moments of silence and see if they really do fit in to the source material. With the way it currently is, I expect some kind of slap or thunk from Abel's shock moment, and maybe a glass getting set down during Pip's pause before, "But enough of me..."

Sienna Maiu - M T

Hey there guys... sorry for falling off the internet and all... (I'm assuming Hennya got reassigned)

How are things going around here? Things seem to be trucking along rather nicely from what I can tell.

It's summer; let me know if there's anything I can do.

See you around,
~ Sienna Maiu - Moonshine Tallgrass, out.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 11, 2011, 06:42:31 AM
Hey there guys... sorry for falling off the internet and all... (I'm assuming Hennya got reassigned)

How are things going around here? Things seem to be trucking along rather nicely from what I can tell.

I'm still hoping to have Dan's voices for the rest of 'Return of Dark Pegasus', but I have no idea when James is liable to be in a position to do that.  If you can give him a kick about that it would help ;-)

Sienna Maiu - M T

Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 11, 2011, 07:00:50 AMI'm still hoping to have Dan's voices for the rest of 'Return of Dark Pegasus', but I have no idea when James is liable to be in a position to do that.  If you can give him a kick about that it would help ;-)
Ouch! I'm alive, I'm alive!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mystiqe

Heyyy everyoneeee giving my almost annual return to the forums xDDD

I'm so bad at keeping up with these things, my goodness.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on September 18, 2011, 01:31:39 AM
Heyyy everyoneeee giving my almost annual return to the forums xDDD
I'm so bad at keeping up with these things, my goodness.

If we can get James to follow suite, maybe we'll be able to get somewhere again.

Incidentally, if someone has a good Central London accent, it might be fun to have someone voice Jakob.  I'm already doing Merlitz and Pip.