[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

The DMFA Radio Project is a (wholly unofficial) audio play adaptation of everyone's favourite webcomic by Amber M. Williams (nee Panyko). It features the voice work of many talented DMFA forumites and an awesome original soundtrack by J P Morris. [Tezkat's words, not mine]

The project's main page, including three complete, broadcast-length episodes and dozens of shorter clips can be found here.  Hints on recording and suchlike can be found here.

James Starrunner has a mirror site which can be found here.

This is the third Radio Project discussion thread.   The original one from 2005-2006 can be found here and the second thread from 2006-2007 can be found here.

The latest clip can be found here:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,2757.msg371899.html#msg371899

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Warning: The original thread from 2005-2006 is all in one page, and is 1.4Mb of html. It will take a while to download, and your browser may make nasty faces at you. Just so you're aware...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Goatmon

What's the reasoning behind making another thread?  Do you do it every 20 or so pages in order to keep things from getting lost too easily? 

bill

Quote from: Goatmon on May 13, 2007, 06:22:14 PM
What's the reasoning behind making another thread?  Do you do it every 20 or so pages in order to keep things from getting lost too easily? 
Correct! You have won tonight's star prize!

Caswin

Can someone tell me llearch's email, which he's told me to use but won't explain?  I have a few guesses - llearch@hotmail.com at the forefront - but I'm afraid to try...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

bill

There's a link on his profile.

Caswin

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 13, 2007, 07:10:29 PM
...ICQ number, AIM name (not online), MSN, YIM, website... no email.  Or did you mean to something else?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

superluser

Quote from: Caswin on May 13, 2007, 07:08:21 PMCan someone tell me llearch's email, which he's told me to use but won't explain?  I have a few guesses - llearch@hotmail.com at the forefront - but I'm afraid to try...

Read RFC 2821.  Failing that, PM llearch.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Caswin

Quote from: superluser on May 13, 2007, 07:12:43 PM
Quote from: Caswin on May 13, 2007, 07:08:21 PMCan someone tell me llearch's email, which he's told me to use but won't explain?  I have a few guesses - llearch@hotmail.com at the forefront - but I'm afraid to try...
Read RFC 2821.
Durr... :B

"simple"? :erk
Yap yap.

rabid_fox

I suspect Tapewolf is a footie fan. Or else it's glorious coincidence that he ended the 2006-07 thread on the same day that the Premiership season ended.

I wish my throat were normal. I'd record something to celebrate the new thread.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 13, 2007, 07:43:15 PM
I suspect Tapewolf is a footie fan. Or else it's glorious coincidence that he ended the 2006-07 thread on the same day that the Premiership season ended.
You have no idea how much I loathe that game  >:3
Splitting the thread was actually Damaris' idea.

James StarRunner

I'm pretty much out of action for four months while I work in Dallas Texas so if anyone has any questions about the Radio Project, don't e-mail me.

And yes, that's where I've been recently, without internet, and too busy to do any hobbies anyways.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 14, 2007, 02:17:08 AM
I'm pretty much out of action for four months while I work in Dallas Texas so if anyone has any questions about the Radio Project, don't e-mail me.
And yes, that's where I've been recently, without internet, and too busy to do any hobbies anyways.
Good to see you're okay, though.  I was starting to wonder.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Caswin on May 13, 2007, 07:08:21 PM
Can someone tell me llearch's email, which he's told me to use but won't explain?  I have a few guesses - llearch@hotmail.com at the forefront - but I'm afraid to try...

I've been deliberately -not- setting it up as an email address where it can be seen by google, harvested, and end up in spammer lists, thankyousoverymuch.

FWIW, I point out that I own llearch.net - from there, username at host dot domain is fairly obvious, no? Sheesh.

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 13, 2007, 07:10:29 PM

Yeah, but only admins and mods can see that. On the other hand, sending me a pm will trigger an email to me, and I'll respond (as I did) as soon as I'm not asleep...

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 14, 2007, 07:55:24 AMI've been deliberately -not- setting it up as an email address where it can be seen by google, harvested, and end up in spammer lists, thankyousoverymuch.

Damaris said that the address cannot be seen unless you're logged in.  That's why I didn't bother to hide mine after the forum upgrade made it visible again.

Oh, and is google ignoring robots.txt, now?

(Caswin, there is always one address that always works.  Since llearch owns the domain and probably doesn't have anyone else administering it, it's virtually guaranteed to forward to him.  Or you can use whois.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Google is probably paying attention to it. I can't say anything for the harvesters, though - if -I- was writing one of those, I'd be hunting email addresses as hard as I could, and ignoring things like robots.txt...

Other search engines may vary in reliability.

As for "cannot be seen" - that applies to profiles. it doesn't apply to posting the address in a post, now, does it? :-) Fortunately, Caswin didn't post my real address, otherwise I'd have had to edit his post...

Fuyudenki

I hide my address even from forumgoers after a nasty mishap in which I irked one off, and he apparently signed me up for a boatload of spambots.  I've been getting enlargement and singles ads ever since.(I don't WANT it to be bigger, it's already got a level of "awkward size" attached to it!)

llearch n'n'daCorna

I still can't figure out why I'd want bigger boobs, myself.

Or even why they'd think I might want bigger boobs. To look at, maybe, but... :-]

Caswin

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 14, 2007, 07:55:24 AMFWIW, I point out that I own llearch.net - from there, username at host dot domain is fairly obvious, no?
No.  :mowwink
Yap yap.

superluser

Quote from: Caswin on May 14, 2007, 06:48:19 PMNo.  :mowwink

Sigh.  Look, if it's under 10 MB (actually, let's say less than 7 MB, just to be safe), send it to me, and I'll put it up at needsfoodbadly.  I don't like to put things there, because I'm paranoid about bandwidth, but if someone can rehost it quickly, it shouldn't be a problem.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I pm'd my email address to him earlier today, superluser.

Just so you know, and all.

Miaka

Right, right, about this whole deal.

I'm sorry I haven't been recording anything recently, I'm going to be buying a microphone soonish*Hopefully* As my old one inexplicably decided to croak, and then I should be able to get working again.

On the other hand, Kaos, who has been perhaps just a tad bit too lazy to even log in an type something up despite the hours during whch he is online, is going to be withdrawing from the project, so we'll need a new Abel.

Tezkat

Oooh, shiny new thread... :kittycool

By the way, if it's more convenient for you guys to use Putfile or RapidShare or whatever, just go ahead and do that. One of can mirror the files afterwards to make them more easily accessible to Tapewolf and any others who might have problems with the free download services.

Quote from: Miaka on May 14, 2007, 08:34:48 PM

I'm sorry I haven't been recording anything recently, I'm going to be buying a microphone soonish*Hopefully* As my old one inexplicably decided to croak, and then I should be able to get working again.

On the other hand, Kaos, who has been perhaps just a tad bit too lazy to even log in an type something up despite the hours during whch he is online, is going to be withdrawing from the project, so we'll need a new Abel.

Ouch. :mowdizzy Kaos already had several dozen strips recorded. I'm not sure we'll be able to match his voice for new strips.

On the other hand, you know what this means: Audition Time! :mowcookie Let the masses awe us with their takes on the comic's most popular character!

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Fuyudenki

Guess I'll audition again, and see if the nasty sounds for my Abel voice were due to a clogged nose and choosing poor auditioning lines.

But first, I have to finish 3 more panels on the longest filler comic ever!

Maybe moving the banner on my site will have to wait.

Oh, and there was that guy who decided to read the monologue of Abel talking to Hennya about Cindy's death.  He was pretty good, wasn't he?

superluser

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 14, 2007, 11:24:34 PMOh, and there was that guy who decided to read the monologue of Abel talking to Hennya about Cindy's death.  He was pretty good, wasn't he?

Last I heard, he was auditioning for Albanion.  I'd have to hear a few more lines before I could say anything about his Abel.  I haven't heard much of Goatmon's dynamic range.

My criticism that Goatmon's Abel needed to be aware of his character's audience remains.

(in an interesting twist, Aniz's last line has changed my concept of his voice to the slight nasality of an Oxonian accent, which has somehow translated itself into full-blown Richard Burton with a bit of Rex Harrison, and I can't say the lines any other way.  If a good night's sleep doesn't knock this out of me, I may record what this sounds like.  Should be good fun.)

KarlOmega1

I have a question...does Email cause the .wav to become damaged or unsavible? If so, then I guess I can't send any voice samples. If not, then is it Ok if I give you voice samples over the email?

Reason why I said "voice samples" is because I don't want to jump the gun and declare what character I will do without any second opinion.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on May 15, 2007, 12:39:42 AM
I have a question...does Email cause the .wav to become damaged or unsavible? If so, then I guess I can't send any voice samples. If not, then is it Ok if I give you voice samples over the email?

Reason why I said "voice samples" is because I don't want to jump the gun and declare what character I will do without any second opinion.
It shouldn't. However, if you are worried about corrupted data, stick it in a RAR/ZIP with a recovery archive. Then, if it gets corrupted, its still repairable.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Madd the Sane

What E-mail clients do is encode the e-mail attachments into a wrapper like mime64.  unless the other e-mail client doesn't have a mime64 decoder (most have them) or the server messes it up somehow (very unlikely) it should be fine.  Just save it in a zip format and you should be good to go.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on May 14, 2007, 11:17:03 PM
Quote from: Miaka on May 14, 2007, 08:34:48 PM

Ouch. :mowdizzy Kaos already had several dozen strips recorded. I'm not sure we'll be able to match his voice for new strips.

You know, I kind of got that vibe from him last time he wrote, so I'm not completely surprised.  Disappointed, yes, but I was half-expecting it.  Ironically it would have been more a disaster if the SAIA arc was completed, unless we could get someone to match his voice closely so in a way it's good that I've blown the schedule.

This does mean that whoever gets it is going to have their work cut out because I'll need to re-cut the whole SAIA arc.
Having said that, Abel's Story is a good proving ground - if they can do a convincing job of strip 70-80 where Abel is shattered and distraught, we'll know we have a winner.

Goatmon

Y'all need a new Abel?  o_o

Uh.... I'd be interested.  Should I just go about recording his lines from AS 70-80, or shall I just fine whatever dialog I like and submit a few snippets?