[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

What lines do you have missing? Maybe I could help, I feel a bit more confident then before having done a couple things involving voice work  now.
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Otherwise Have a good day Sir/Ma'am.

Tapewolf

Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on March 14, 2013, 09:43:03 PM
What lines do you have missing? Maybe I could help, I feel a bit more confident then before having done a couple things involving voice work  now.

Well, Kria's lines around 947-951 are missing, but hopefully Lena is still up for that.  There are a couple of Lorenda lines missing, but I've asked James to look into that (his wife voices Lorenda).

On the male side, we could perhaps improve over Rabidfox' rendition of Devin - it was a bit echoey and noisy, though the articulation itself was fine.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

Well, here's what I have going:

Zucca - Kale: Having his mixer fixed/replaced
Maus_Merryjest - Devin: Recording this Wednesday.
Jana (wife) - Lorenda: Most likely can record on Saturday as we will both be home and I can help her with her lines.
James (me) - Dan: Can record when I wake up assuming no lungs blow up, have a mini stroke, double over in pain from Crohn's, have aliens come out of my nose, or otherwise get sick.

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

How so could you improve over Rabidfoxs? do you edit it to take out the echo or have someone else or him redo the lines?
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on March 21, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
How so could you improve over Rabidfoxs? do you edit it to take out the echo or have someone else or him redo the lines?

Yes, you rerecord it in a room which doesn't have echo, or at least a part of the room where the echo is cancelled out more. 

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 21, 2013, 01:30:40 PM
Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on March 21, 2013, 12:54:07 PM

Yes, you rerecord it in a room which doesn't have echo, or at least a part of the room where the echo is cancelled out more. 

Ok, thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it.

Also, I forgot to post a reason why I said my voice needed to go an octave lower (Because I always have to provide reason for stuff) because I'm an adolescent teen just starting my voice change so adult males I can not do.

Kenku

I'm Sorry Tapewolf for taking so long to get around to stuff. Here's my go at Mack: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5adu0rrr4nr88vp/j9RCnb9HCl

Lena

Just got Tapewolf's message today - I really need to check my email more often. I found the files I originally recorded for 947-951, but since I had some free (alone) time tonight I gave them another go-round too.

I've uploaded the originals and the new files (three takes for each, tried to do them a little different each time) here: https://www.box.com/s/rppffrh813mpjm5qn08j

If the link doesn't work or there's something wrong with the files let me know, and I'll re-do whatever needs done. Not sure how to pronounce "Zinvth", gave it my best shot. Nice to see this getting going again.  :)

Tapewolf

Thanks very much, I will try and listen to these tomorrow.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lena on June 10, 2013, 06:57:25 PM
If the link doesn't work or there's something wrong with the files let me know, and I'll re-do whatever needs done. Not sure how to pronounce "Zinvth", gave it my best shot. Nice to see this getting going again.  :)

Thanks, that's great.  The last three are a bit quiet, but I think I can use them.

Quote from: Kenku on May 29, 2013, 11:04:15 PM
I'm Sorry Tapewolf for taking so long to get around to stuff. Here's my go at Mack: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5adu0rrr4nr88vp/j9RCnb9HCl

That's nice, thanks.  It might be better if you had emphasised the word "rocking" more, but I can use this as is.

Kenku

@Tapewolf:  I can give that segment a re-go in a couple days if need be, else, welcome, and Im always up for try for something else role wise.

Tapewolf

Okay, the Return of Dark Pegasus pt.2, which is years overdue, currently runs to page 950.  This gives us about 21 minutes of material.

I am not currently sure where we're going to break the second episode, but to end it on a dramatic point I guess it either has to be where Dan gets smacked by Regina or where DP nearly kills him.  I have been shooting for 25-28 minutes per episode, a'la the original broadcast of 'Lord of the Rings'.

Anyway, here is the current work-in-progress:
http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/rodp2_WIP.mp3

A word about the sound mix.  The first segment was taken from the dp900 project.  This was left set up with the actors panned hard left and hard right so that I could easily dump them onto the 1/2" master in pairs.  Hence the stereo image is going to be a bit peculiar.  The middle two segments have rough panning, and the final segment is in mono.

These - and the inconsistent volume levels - are all things which will be ironed out when I start transferring it to the multitrack.  I will also add additional sound effects and probably extra scoring at that point, since the soundtrack is rather sparse for a lot of it.
I would be interested in hearing any other issues I may have missed, or suggestions for effects etc.

Xan

Before I forget again.
I have to say you guys did a great job and I enjoyed the radio play of DMFA.
And I can't wait for the polished version of RoDP part 2.

Keep up the good work, would like to hear more.  :mowhappy

Wdot

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 16, 2013, 05:30:12 PM
Okay, the Return of Dark Pegasus pt.2, which is years overdue, currently runs to page 950.  This gives us about 21 minutes of material.

I am not currently sure where we're going to break the second episode, but to end it on a dramatic point I guess it either has to be where Dan gets smacked by Regina or where DP nearly kills him.  I have been shooting for 25-28 minutes per episode, a'la the original broadcast of 'Lord of the Rings'.

Anyway, here is the current work-in-progress:
http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/rodp2_WIP.mp3

A word about the sound mix.  The first segment was taken from the dp900 project.  This was left set up with the actors panned hard left and hard right so that I could easily dump them onto the 1/2" master in pairs.  Hence the stereo image is going to be a bit peculiar.  The middle two segments have rough panning, and the final segment is in mono.

These - and the inconsistent volume levels - are all things which will be ironed out when I start transferring it to the multitrack.  I will also add additional sound effects and probably extra scoring at that point, since the soundtrack is rather sparse for a lot of it.
I would be interested in hearing any other issues I may have missed, or suggestions for effects etc.

I love this! I've liked radio plays since they did the Star Wars one waay back in the late 70's. I can't tell you how much I enjoy listening to your productions! Thanks for doing it.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt

Tapewolf

Thanks.  My muse has been on strike and I still haven't had much useful feedback about that last test recording, but I'll see if I can put some time into finalising it over the weekend.

Tapewolf

Well, this has had its ups and downs.  Even so, over the weekend I managed to get about halfway through the episode, with pages 907-928 finalised on tape and scored.  I am hoping to do up to 936 tomorrow, notwithstanding 'Turning a New Page' and other commitments, plus the fact that I'll need to score part of that scene, if only the argument between Fa'Lina and Destania.

Here's a quick test clip:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60408280/rodp-dvp.mp3
(...I have since cleaned up that blip just as Dan starts talking)

EDIT: It is now up to page 940, and the timecode says 17:26.  I'm still not sure where there's a convenient dramatic point to break the episode off while still leaving it around 25 minutes long.

Tapewolf

I have made a few enquiries, but I am still open for newcomers if anyone wants to voice Regina.  I need the files by the end of the month, however.

I could also do with the fox girl in page 955.

PalmettoPaladin

Um...Is this still going on?  I'm actually looking forward to seeing more. Well hearing more actually.

And sorry to resurrect an old thread.   :mowsad

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 28, 2016, 03:40:43 PM
Um...Is this still going on?  I'm actually looking forward to seeing more. Well hearing more actually.

I have bulk of the next episode on tape, but there are a few lines I couldn't get that I needed to complete the episode.  It could also do with some spot music though I could probably sort that out if I had the inclination.
Long story short, it was too difficult to get the voice actors to actually do the whole voice-acting thing and I lost patience with them.  In any case, nobody seemed to care about the project and there are plenty of other projects which needed my attention...

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 28, 2016, 04:30:53 PM
Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 28, 2016, 03:40:43 PM

I have bulk of the next episode on tape, but there are a few lines I couldn't get that I needed to complete the episode.  It could also do with some spot music though I could probably sort that out if I had the inclination.
Long story short, it was too difficult to get the voice actors to actually do the whole voice-acting thing and I lost patience with them.  In any case, nobody seemed to care about the project and there are plenty of other projects which needed my attention...

Ah. That's a shame.  Well I saw that the SAIA arc was done which is good. A shame though as I was actually hoping to hear Cyra when Dan first meets her as well as when Dan learns how his grandmother became a tri wing.  And it's a double shame as I really really wanted to hear the clan leader meeting!   :mowsad

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 28, 2016, 04:51:10 PM
Ah. That's a shame.  Well I saw that the SAIA arc was done which is good. A shame though as I was actually hoping to hear Cyra when Dan first meets her as well as when Dan learns how his grandmother became a tri wing.  And it's a double shame as I really really wanted to hear the clan leader meeting!   :mowsad

It's hard to find female voice actors willing to work for nothing, very hard to find ones with access to a half-decent recording rig, and even harder to retain them.  That last was the thing which really caused it to unravel, I guess.
As for the SAIA arc, we never really got a good voice for Fa'Lina, which means that most of the bits which were done either have a stand-in voice or are bits where Fa'Lina doesn't appear at all.
Rather a shame - I do like some of the music I wrote for that, and have been considering rerecording some of it to stick on FA for kicks.

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 28, 2016, 05:06:43 PM
Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 28, 2016, 04:51:10 PM

It's hard to find female voice actors willing to work for nothing, very hard to find ones with access to a half-decent recording rig, and even harder to retain them.  That last was the thing which really caused it to unravel, I guess.
As for the SAIA arc, we never really got a good voice for Fa'Lina, which means that most of the bits which were done either have a stand-in voice or are bits where Fa'Lina doesn't appear at all.
Rather a shame - I do like some of the music I wrote for that, and have been considering rerecording some of it to stick on FA for kicks.

Oh no!  I was actually looking forward to listening to that arc!  But I do hope that y'all got someone to do Cyra.  She's cool!  And quite attractive for a 7,000+ woman. 

I've actually heard your music.  I found them very enjoyable. 

Puyon

Always wanted to be a part of a voice acting project, though, could never be around while they were running/casting. Not much call for a voice like mine in DMFA, I suppose. I'll always be able to pull the voice of a 9~14 year old kid :V
...By Puyon

PalmettoPaladin

A shame this project ended.  I've seen numerous radio projects of webcomics fall apart halfway through or even crash and burn just as they start, so I was hoping this one would be the exception. 

I also saw that Cyra wasn't voiced so I was a bit heartbroken at that.  I can understand but still it would have been nice to hear her.   :mowsad :<

Hopefully we'll get a side comic about how Cyra became a tri-wing.

Please Amber!  Please do a side comic like this!  I'll even toss money at you!

Tezkat

Yeah, it's a pity this thing fell apart. Though admittedly it lasted many years longer than most projects of its type. It's kinda cool to see that we've still got fans after all these years.
:mowcookie

The activity level and talent pool on these boards was unfortunately just too small to support a project of this scale. We would've needed to reach outside to the greater amateur voice acting community to keep it going.

Quote from: Puyon on November 29, 2016, 12:06:51 AM
Always wanted to be a part of a voice acting project, though, could never be around while they were running/casting. Not much call for a voice like mine in DMFA, I suppose. I'll always be able to pull the voice of a 9~14 year old kid :V

Well... there's plenty of call for that kind of voice generally, given that a huge percentage of character acting for games and animation targets younger audiences. Heck, I wish I could do better kid voices. :animesweat

If you're interested, there are sites like the Voice Acting Alliance and  Casting Call Club devoted to hooking up amateur producers and VAs looking to grow their experience and portfolios. Some of them are even good. Heh. A number of successful indie games (e.g. Dust: An Elysian Tail) drew voice talent almost entirely from VAA membership, many of whom have gone on to careers as professional voice actors.
:kittycool
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

James StarRunner

Quote from: Puyon on November 29, 2016, 12:06:51 AM
I didn't think my voice would work actually for Dan. At first I had actually pitch shifted my voice down, but then gave up on that. And since I started using my natural voice, I've been told that people can't imagine anyone else filling the role. And as Tez said, there's a call for voices like yours. In fact people need all sorts of voices. We all can't sound like Jennifer Hale or Morgan Freeman. :P