Cubi dislike Dragons Why?

Started by Demont, September 27, 2006, 03:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 16, 2006, 04:30:06 PM
You mean that's a pool they're leaning out of?  Interesting.

They've got a library, they've got a gym, they have a pool. No surprises there, but SAIA has -everything-.

... I wonder if it has a mall...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Stygian

Yah. I wonder where they get the funding? Perhaps the whole place is actually a bor... *SLAP!*

(You all knew it. You did.)

ShiningShadow

They have everything at the academy I still think it's a launching stage for the Cubi to attack the Dragons and change destiny to the Cubi race.

Aridas

you're ALWAYS thinking some war or chaos or fight or dramafest is going to happen. Stop it. This is DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 16, 2006, 06:08:47 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 16, 2006, 04:30:06 PM
You mean that's a pool they're leaning out of?  Interesting.
They've got a library, they've got a gym, they have a pool. No surprises there, but SAIA has -everything-.

I hadn't realised the mythos was an aquatic creature.  SAIA is naturally going to have a pool or two somewhere...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

Do you think the academy thought of everything for the other species? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't like it it's sort of putting the other species in a lull of false security and *WHAM* trap sprung that's how I see it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 17, 2006, 05:36:12 PM
I hadn't realised the mythos was an aquatic creature.  SAIA is naturally going to have a pool or two somewhere...

To be perfectly honest, I hadn't realised it, either.

It was just too good a chance to paraphrase Blues Brothers to pass up :-)

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 17, 2006, 07:32:43 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 17, 2006, 05:36:12 PM

To be perfectly honest, I hadn't realised it, either.

I'll be Dan Aykroyd cause I dont wanna be John Belushi

Stygian

I'll be the guy who shoots them both.

I'm very much wondering whether there is some form of "inner sanctum" or laboratories or stuff at SAIA. That would definitely be something the dragons would want to know about...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 17, 2006, 07:32:43 PM

Damn.

Kibin

I wonder if SAIA has internet access with the outside world.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kibin on November 18, 2006, 11:06:35 AM
I wonder if SAIA has internet access with the outside world.

Given that the Furrae industrial revolution seems to be roughly in lockstep with ours, I really don't know.
Given 'cubi lifespans it's quite possible that the SAIA IT department - if it has one - is still crowing about their new DEC minicomputer ("of course it's new.. it's only 20 years old.  It doesn't have a single valve in it!")

That might not be the case of course, but it's a nice image :P

Even if they are 20 years behind that doesn't preclude an internet connection of course, it's just that they would still be using gopher and telnet - IF it's possible to connect the Academy through the magical barrier.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 18, 2006, 01:23:31 PMGiven 'cubi lifespans it's quite possible that the SAIA IT department - if it has one - is still crowing about their new DEC minicomputer

Ooh!  I hope they have a PDP-8.

I can't wait to see what happens when they get to the dragvax hoax.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Damaris

Keep in mind, Aary had a livejournal.  I don't think they're that far behind.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

LionHeart

Wasn't Aary introduced to LiveJournal after she left SAIA?

I seem to remember that it was one of the Lost Lake crew that put her on to it...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Distracting

Well for a lot of all this new fangled "computer" stuff, you've gotta have at least a little working with them or else you're just screwing yourself up...over and over again. Considering that she seemed to be proficient enough with it, one can only assume that she would have had to have had at least nominal experience with computers and the internet. Maybe the library has them or something...or they just have first generation ones.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: LionHeart on November 19, 2006, 02:55:06 AM

I seem to remember that it was one of the Lost Lake crew that put her on to it...

Dan. In order to introduce her to somewhere where she can find other "angsty emotional types"....

Tapewolf

Quote from: LionHeart on November 19, 2006, 02:55:06 AM

Indeed.  As Llearch says, it was Dan what done it.  Apparently she was still expecting to find griffin-wagons having totally missed the industrial revolution let alone the information age.  That's from the Livejournal, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Also, don't forget Abel and Longtail's camera.  Abel might well have seen a camera before, but not one with post-1970s styling (that it's digital isn't really relevant).
Aary's LJ also says that Jyrras was able to get a wifi connection from inside the sewers, but that's more likely to be poached from some other source that they're travelling below en-route.

The library itself speaks volumes.  Granted we don't know when the picture is dated, but look at what we've got.  The lighting might be electrical but magic is more likely.  Look at the Librarian's desk.  She's got what appears to be a vellum ledger (or maybe paper) and a quill - not a biro or even a fountain pen, and most certainly not a DEC VT100 so as of this picture, the librarian at least hasn't caught up with 1979.
Methinks you are not likely to find any internet terminals there  >:3

Now granted SAIA has vending machines so it's not completely isolated.  With a satellite linkup, some laptops and an ad-hoc wifi network, a bunch of geeks who woke up with wings on their heads one day could put together a pretty usable connection on their own.  But even if that's the case, the SAIA IT department might still be stuck in the 80s.
(The UWE didn't allow people to connect ZIP drives to their machines and they didn't get any themselves until after ZIP was obsolete as a format.  Smaller scale, but you get the picture.)

Kasarn

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2006, 06:00:35 AM

Who needs internet terminals when you have...
FurraeOL 9.0: now available on your crystal ball!

:O

Zedd

Quote from: Kasarn on November 19, 2006, 06:25:22 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2006, 06:00:35 AM

Who needs internet terminals when you have...
FurraeOL 9.0: now available on your crystal ball!

:O

Damn thing always made my freaking genine server crash...

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2006, 06:00:35 AMAlso, don't forget Abel and Longtail's camera.  Abel might well have seen a camera before, but not one with post-1970s styling (that it's digital isn't really relevant).

Well, what about the Brownie?  At least a few versions of that looked a lot like that digital camera.

Oh, and `biro?'

Where on Earth do the still use that?  Last time I heard it was in connection with Veet Voojagig, and that was in the early 80's.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on November 19, 2006, 09:02:29 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2006, 06:00:35 AMAlso, don't forget Abel and Longtail's camera.  Abel might well have seen a camera before, but not one with post-1970s styling (that it's digital isn't really relevant).
Well, what about the Brownie?  At least a few versions of that looked a lot like that digital camera.

Good point.

QuoteOh, and 'biro?'
Where on Earth do the still use that?  Last time I heard it was in connection with Veet Voojagig, and that was in the early 80's.

Bad point.  Perhaps where you live people no longer need to write things down, or perhaps you use pencils.  Here we use ballpoint pens.

**EDIT**
Oh, in case this is some stupid language barrier problem and not simply malice, 'Biro' is used as a generic term for 'ballpoint pen' in most English-speaking countries.  Knowing my luck the US is the only one that doesn't.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 20, 2006, 04:47:27 AM**EDIT**
Oh, in case this is some stupid language barrier problem and not simply malice, 'Biro' is used as a generic term for 'ballpoint pen' in most English-speaking countries.

Still?

I was under the impression that the usage was on its way out, seeing as how I hadn't heard it since the novelization of the HHGTTG.  Then again, I do live in the States, although I do consume a sizable amount of British culture, so I would have expected to come across it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on November 20, 2006, 05:38:21 AM
I was under the impression that the usage was on its way out, seeing as how I hadn't heard it since the novelization of the HHGTTG.  Then again, I do live in the States, although I do consume a sizable amount of British culture, so I would have expected to come across it.

Way to make me feel old.

ShiningShadow

But TW what about Mabs searching the web going on ebay and buying 80's memorabilia I think the time line of Furrae is around early to late eighties coming to 1990. I think with Jyrass help the internet is coming around to a select few very slowly. Maybe its something too dangerous to have around imagine all races being on line all the time hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Also imagine Dragons searching looking trying to figure out  the inner sanctum at the Saia Academy. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm curiouser, crosier but in any case I think the internet is there but not everybody has it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ShiningShadow on November 20, 2006, 07:29:31 AM
But TW what about Mabs searching the web going on ebay and buying 80's memorabilia I think the time line of Furrae is around early to late eighties coming to 1990.
Yes, but the point is that the 'cubi who've been at SAIA for 400 years have missed all that, hence Abel is going through a bit of a culture-shock.  Assuming SAIA has a cinema or TV, that's the closest most 'cubi are going to get to the outside world until their course ends or they go on some kind of fieldwork.

If Abel has seen a camera, it's looking more like it was a Victorian-era one and not a hand-held unit.  Otherwise he would have recognised what she was doing, irrespective of the camera's styling  >:3

Izkata

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 20, 2006, 04:47:27 AM
QuoteOh, and 'biro?'

Bad point.  Perhaps where you live people no longer need to write things down, or perhaps you use pencils.  Here we use ballpoint pens.

**EDIT**
Oh, in case this is some stupid language barrier problem and not simply malice, 'Biro' is used as a generic term for 'ballpoint pen' in most English-speaking countries.  Knowing my luck the US is the only one that doesn't.

The generic term in the US (at least around here) is "pen(s)".  Isn't "Biro" a brand of pen?

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 20, 2006, 07:41:06 AMIf Abel has seen a camera, it's looking more like it was a Victorian-era one and not a hand-held unit.  Otherwise he would have recognised what she was doing, irrespective of the camera's styling  >:3

Ohhh...Camera!

As in camera obscura!  I'll bet he's seen one of those!

Oh, and Izkata, Laszlo Biro invented the ballpoint.

(NOT the Balls-Pond.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on November 20, 2006, 12:57:03 PM
Ohhh...Camera!

As in camera obscura!  I'll bet he's seen one of those!

Indeed, but it wouldn't prepare him for the concept of someone recording him stripping off with a small box made from plastic  >:3
(He does seem to know about plastics, though.)

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 20, 2006, 07:41:06 AM
Quote from: ShiningShadow on November 20, 2006, 07:29:31 AM
But TW what about Mabs searching the web going on ebay and buying 80's memorabilia I think the time line of Furrae is around early to late eighties coming to 1990.
Yes, but the point is that the 'cubi who've been at SAIA for 400 years have missed all that, hence Abel is going through a bit of a culture-shock.  Assuming SAIA has a cinema or TV, that's the closest most 'cubi are going to get to the outside world until their course ends or they go on some kind of fieldwork.

If Abel has seen a camera, it's looking more like it was a Victorian-era one and not a hand-held unit.  Otherwise he would have recognised what she was doing, irrespective of the camera's styling  >:3

So they are completely isolated techno wise till the Professors deemed so if a student should know the techno of the outside world. Field trips are supposed to be taken with permission from the faculty to see the wonders of this technology. And catch a flick or two while you're at it.