Cubi dislike Dragons Why?

Started by Demont, September 27, 2006, 03:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 20, 2006, 01:02:34 PM
Quote from: superluser on November 20, 2006, 12:57:03 PM
Ohhh...Camera!

As in camera obscura!  I'll bet he's seen one of those!

Indeed, but it wouldn't prepare him for the concept of someone recording him stripping off with a small box made from plastic  >:3

Egg-zactly.  If he's been at SAIA for 400 years, he's not only missed out on point-and-shoot cameras, but also Victorian style cameras, SLRs, and anything involving photography.

The closest that he would have come would have been the aforementioned camera obscura, which seems to have become known to the West by the 15th-17th centuries.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Stygian

Am I the only one slightly annoyed at the fact that Abel's childhood in excess of three hundred years into the past seems awfully modern...?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Stygian on November 20, 2006, 02:28:42 PM
Am I the only one slightly annoyed at the fact that Abel's childhood in excess of three hundred years into the past seems awfully modern...?

I must admit I was vaguely disappointed by what appeared to be aluminium double-glazing in the house of his birth.  Amber explained this with the notion that their society is more magic-oriented, so they have magical processes to smelt aluminium (which requires electricity, IIRC) and produce sheet-glass.  Even in the Victorian era, it was mostly plate glass IIRC, which meant windows were constructed from many small panes which had lots of distortions and other curious optical properties.
But if you've got magical foundries to produce this stuff cheaply, I guess you would have a curious mix of technologies.
Apparently Furrae still has high-tech centres and rural backwaters..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

GabrielsThoughts

I'd just assume it is the "transient pulse theory" where a society evolves to the point where they become unable to repair or reproduce the technology they invented in the first place, save for a select few who think the technology, or knowledge  they have appears to be magical in origin. Creating a feudal system hundreds of years later,  When the people on the grunt level start developing their own technologies re-creating something that was forgotten centuries earlier the magic users are themselves incapable of reproducing it with out the knowledge associated with it.  In a hundred years Jyrras will be known as a technical wizzard, a hundred years after that he will be known as just a wizzard and the cycle would continue.   
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 20, 2006, 03:55:13 PM
I'd just assume it is the "transient pulse theory" where a society evolves to the point where they become unable to repair or reproduce the technology they invented in the first place, save for a select few who think the technology, or knowledge they have appears to be magical in origin.
The only slight issue with that is that Furrae has a lot of races which live for thousands of years, even millions.  Technology seems to get more fragile as it gets more advanced, so it seems to me that all evidence it actually existed will be lost before the people who invented it die themselves.  (Of course it doesn't necessarily follow that someone who invented something 2000 years ago will quite remember how..)

Zedd

Dought anyone answered my question yet

superluser

Quote from: Zedd on November 20, 2006, 04:51:00 PM
Dought anyone answered my question yet

What question?  Lime tic-tacs?  Haven't seen those recently.

That's the only one I've seen you ask in this thread.  If you're talking about another question, I'll be glad to help if you specify what it is you're asking.

Aridas

We could all just assume furrae and "our world" don't overlap perfectly... being completely different and fictional and whatnot.

Zedd

What sort of currentcy is used in this relam and how is it exchanged...That be cool see a famous furre on a paper bill XD  Oh noes Mab is on a 2 dollar bill!

ShiningShadow

But if these technolgies are somewhat from a race 2000 years ago and Jyrass has that techie ability to figure out what is these objects and what use they can be used. That's why there a board of these Furrae powerful are in charge to see if these technologies are useful or a threat to their society.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ShiningShadow on November 21, 2006, 07:32:50 AM
But if these technolgies are somewhat from a race 2000 years ago and Jyrras has that techie ability to figure out what is these objects and what use they can be used.
To survive that length of time at all it would have to be pretty basic.  Screws can rust away to nothing in about a quarter of that and I could write reams about the problems of even 20-year-old electronics.  The only way there would be any artifacts to study would be if they were put under some kind of magical preservation to begin with - a stasis field (a'la The Soft Weapon) or some kind of anti-entropy enchantment.

GabrielsThoughts

well, we can assume that most of the laws of physics apply to furrae. and we can also assume that the comuter technology is more advanced than ours by about five or ten years (notes Jyrras lab). I would also like to point out that if they may have developed technologhy in a different order. imagine the advances our medical technologies, or even our mechanical ones could have made if the ones who invented them lived over a thousand years concidering the average lifespan is between 75-120
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

e_voyager

even with all of that take into account the life span of the creatures, dragons, cubi and mythos and there reaction to his toys. their  interest would suggest that he is making new things not recovering the old as these are toys that that don't seem to know already
'
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

superluser

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 21, 2006, 10:44:11 AMI would also like to point out that if they may have developed technologhy in a different order.

Where's James Burke when you need him?

ShiningShadow

Quote from: e_voyager on November 21, 2006, 09:52:00 PM
even with all of that take into account the life span of the creatures, dragons, cubi and mythos and there reaction to his toys. their  interest would suggest that he is making new things not recovering the old as these are toys that that don't seem to know already
'
:yeahthat

But I have not seen any of the things Jyrass have made been put in production. But maybe is in slow increments so the land of Furrare will not be inundated with stuff that could be or not dangerous.

e_voyager

well he is rich and Matilda did talk about putting homes in his products specifficly his toasters so he had to make something that's widely distributed.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

ShiningShadow

That's what im talking about little things like that. Those things are the safe ones. I think in Furrare they have a high morals in the sense of inventionts etc.

keybounce

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 16, 2006, 01:26:55 PM
BlueRay is a dragon.
Sorry, which one is BlueRay? He's not listed on the cast page.

Aridas

Cameos aren't listed on the cast page. I don't even think any other once-in-a-blue-moon insignificant characters are even on the cast page....

thetire

wow, this thread lasted a long time... does it have a pool too?

oh, and Mab is secretly a dragon. Look in your heart and know it to be true.

Zedd

Quote from: Zander on December 07, 2006, 08:38:29 PM
wow, this thread lasted a long time... does it have a pool too?

oh, and Mab is secretly a dragon. Look in your heart and know it to be true.

*holds onto a pole from high up and dressed like Luke and has one hand as well* No its not true...Thats inposable!!!...NOOOOOO!!! Noooo....  :U

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: e_voyager on November 22, 2006, 07:27:10 AM
well he is rich and Matilda did talk about putting homes in his products specifficly his toasters so he had to make something that's widely distributed.

You realize Amber was pulling a Ghostbuster refrence.

komissarmakarov

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 20, 2006, 04:22:54 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 20, 2006, 03:55:13 PM
I'd just assume it is the "transient pulse theory" where a society evolves to the point where they become unable to repair or reproduce the technology they invented in the first place, save for a select few who think the technology, or knowledge they have appears to be magical in origin.
The only slight issue with that is that Furrae has a lot of races which live for thousands of years, even millions.  Technology seems to get more fragile as it gets more advanced, so it seems to me that all evidence it actually existed will be lost before the people who invented it die themselves.  (Of course it doesn't necessarily follow that someone who invented something 2000 years ago will quite remember how..)

(the thread was mostly tl, so I dr)

Aaanyway, to paraphrase J. Micheal Straczynski:

"In Furrae, technology evolves at the speed of plot".

P/S: Any of you Warhammer 40K fans think of the Imperium when you saw this post?

e_voyager

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 07, 2006, 09:34:53 PM
Quote from: e_voyager on November 22, 2006, 07:27:10 AM

You realize Amber was pulling a Ghostbuster refrence.

honestly i did not. i have not seen ghostbusters since around 1992