Cubi dislike Dragons Why?

Started by Demont, September 27, 2006, 03:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

How to instantly increasse your popularity at school: Bring Tic-Tacs.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Caswin on September 27, 2006, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 27, 2006, 04:59:37 AM
Logically wouldn't cubus be the singular if cubi was the plural?
That's what I always thought, too.  I'd as soon go with "cubus" until Amber says otherwise.

How about this for proof?  In the entire strip there is not one instance of the word 'cubus' that I can find.  However the word 'cubi' is used to mean a singular incubus or succubus in the following strips:

392 (first such usage - the contraction itself was introduced in 385)
411, 420, 488, 491, 493, 504, 522, 524, 528, 562, 569, 573, 577, 582, 583, 603, 617 and 651.

In addition the following strips use it in an ambiguous manner: 501, 507 and 511

I'd say that's pretty convincing, and it seems equally certain that I have too much time on my hands :P

**EDIT**
Quote from: Gareeku on September 27, 2006, 03:37:07 PM
Um, it's only a word, guys. Get over it.  :B

If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is inconsistency in language, therefore I get very picky about it..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2006, 06:52:30 PM
I'd say that's pretty convincing, and it seems equally certain that I have too much time on my hands :P

What, grep didn't provide that for you in a matter of seconds? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 27, 2006, 07:07:49 PM

What, grep didn't provide that for you in a matter of seconds? :-)

I figured it was more fun to read them with ZGV :P

Zedd

I know what would stop this feud...I could make Bette Midler come over and sing!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Feud? You're bringing feud? Yum....

what've you got?

Aridas

Quote from: Caswin on September 27, 2006, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 27, 2006, 04:59:37 AM
Logically wouldn't cubus be the singular if cubi was the plural?
That's what I always thought, too.  I'd as soon go with "cubus" until Amber says otherwise.

How about this for proof?  In the entire strip there is not one instance of the word 'cubus' that I can find.  However the word 'cubi' is used to mean a singular incubus or succubus in the following strips:

392 (first such usage - the contraction itself was introduced in 385)
411, 420, 488, 491, 493, 504, 522, 524, 528, 562, 569, 573, 577, 582, 583, 603, 617 and 651.

In addition the following strips use it in an ambiguous manner: 501, 507 and 511

Yeahyeahyeah. But, if my memory serves, I think Amber only started using the term cubi like that after the forum picked it up. I'm not sure, but it sounds about right when I'm thinking about it.

Zedd

Demont

Aridas

komissarmakarov

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 27, 2006, 07:28:03 PM
Feud? You're bringing feud?

I bring Freud:

"Zat Box-Avatar auf yours- vot does it mean? How do you feel about your Muzzer?"

Dragonbird

Actually, I believe that you cannot use the term, "Cubi" without it being plural. As it refers to both Incubi and Succubi at the same time. To speak in the singular, you'd have to single out one or the other.

The lack of variation of words in the english language for the Cubi race likely stems from the lack of commonality in the everyday life.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dragonbird on September 28, 2006, 03:40:34 AM
Actually, I believe that you cannot use the term, "Cubi" without it being plural. As it refers to both Incubi and Succubi at the same time. To speak in the singular, you'd have to single out one or the other.

As I mentioned, Amber doesn't do that, but perhaps we can agree to disagree on that.   >:3

But we are agreed that "cubis" as a plural is dead wrong, yar?

Dragonbird

Oh without a doubt. Completely inncorrect spelling there.
As for my argument, it only functions in the nasty place that is known as "Real Life".

Truly, if we exist only as Dan-Mabians then yes, Amber's use of Cubi for the singular would be correct. It all depends on your orientation.

You must pardon me, I am still acclimatizing to DMFA Forum consciousness.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Komissar Makarov on September 28, 2006, 12:02:38 AM
I bring Freud:

"Zat Box-Avatar auf yours- vot does it mean? How do you feel about your Muzzer?"

It means "I is a box".
I feel I should not talk to you until you provide a couch. :-P

ITOS

Abel said that Aary would never let a dragon get near Dan. Would she let dragons get near other cubis (with the exception of Abel) ?
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Kenji

Quote from: ITOS on September 28, 2006, 10:12:49 AM
Abel said that Aary would never let a dragon get near Dan. Would she let dragons get near other cubis (with the exception of Abel) ?

If there really is bad blood between races, that would probably be because Dan is the son of Aary's best friend. Whereas Abel is quite a prick in the bum, in her eyes. :3 She'd probably toss a Dragon at him.  :laugh

Demont

GabrielsThoughts

scales, the Cubi are jelous because thay can't replicate scales...the only exception being reptile Cubi.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Zedd on September 27, 2006, 07:33:09 PM
I brought banana cream pie

I got beef shortribs, mashed potatoes smothered in gravy, with lemon meringe pie as dessert mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

ShiningShadow

Also Abel is going to that place which there's a song to it from AC/DC Highway to Hell. If Abel continues to act this way then this sitiuation will be nothing more that a knock out dragg out fight. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM I wonder if they go for stardard 6 oz boxing gloves or a Steel Cage Match hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Abel hit's Pyro with a steel chair *THUD!* ohhhhhh Pyro went down like a sack of potatoes...............

Zedd

I used to watch wresleing alot but it got super boring

Zedd

I used to watch wrestling alot but it got super boring

llearch n'n'daCorna

Zedd

Does the box need a brushing? Your tail is all messy

Aridas

Quote from: Zedd on September 28, 2006, 05:22:08 PM
Does the box need a brushing? Your tail is all messy
What's with the fad of people posting short, meaningless things lately?

Zedd

I dont know Aridas...My throat too hurts like ambers...And she will let us know why the reason of cubi and dragons thing soon enough as I say

Boog

My guess as to the cubi and dragons thing? It's all Dakata's fault.

Dakata

Quote from: Boogeyman on September 28, 2006, 08:26:15 PM
My guess as to the cubi and dragons thing? It's all Dakata's fault.
Hey! D: How's it -my- fault?

Zedd